Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Allowances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

not forgetting you barely need a leaving cert for the job

Do you have one?
    and its statistically more dangerous working on a building site than being a guard

Great. What hours do builders work? Are builders at risk of being stabbed/shot/spat at/run over/punched/kicked? Do builders have good uniforms/facilities/etc? Yes. Do the guards? No.

Another uneducated attack on the ES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Getting bonuses/expenses for being a garda is entirely different to getting bonuses/expenses for being a politician/banker.

Also, well paid gardai = less incentive for corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Its 3 hours for attending court at 10.30am when you only finished your night shift at 6am. Strangely enough I wouldnt do it if I had a choice.

Also, I get holiday pay same as everyone else, I dont get allowances unless I worked the hours. I dont know where you heard that.

If you pay enough into your pension you can retire atafter 30 years too. Its the STATE pension that is only at 65. when you retire on your private pension is based completely on what you pay, for Gardai its 30 years service and before anyone says otherwise, we do and always did pay for our pensions plus the dole which you are entitled to OP but I am not.

The uniform allowance is 4 euro a week and 2 for boots FFS!

So who is screwing who?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What about the cost of getting killed or seriously injured while you or I sleep soundly in our beds?

I don't think an adequate figure exists tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Leave the Gardai alone tbh. Great bunch and deserve what they get paid. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bringingitall

and its statistically more dangerous working on a building site than being a guard

Check the stats for Ireland there has been more deaths in the last ten years of workers on building sites/construction projects than gardai in the line of duty

also more serious injuries resulting in paralysis etc. in the construction sector

Anyway done with this can see the arguements for a well paid force and corruption arguement is strong enough reason for me(and the cops in Donegal are good enough example of that couldn't do with a country full of them, so let the babies have their bottle)

But lets be real next time the guards moan about poor pay(24/7 alliance and all) have a think about their allowance they've done well out of the "blue flu benchmarking"

Lets make no bones about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

donvito99 wrote: »

Great. What hours do builders work? Are builders at risk of being stabbed/shot/spat at/run over/punched/kicked? Do builders have good uniforms/facilities/etc? Yes. Do the guards? No.

Hold on there.

I've no axe to grind either way on this, but this statement is stupid.

I left school in '85, aged 16 & worked in a range of manual jobs, such as , builder's labourer, plumber's mate, aircraft hangar maintainance, aerial rigging etc.

Now, I don't remember getting any uniforms, facilities, rent allowances, pensions, guaranteed income,can claim for 'trauma at every turn & be listened to' culture, despite doing dangerous & risky jobs for the last 25 years!

Maybe you're the one who needs educating in the facts of life.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Check the stats for Ireland there has been more deaths in the last ten years of workers on building sites/construction projects than gardai in the line of duty

also more serious injuries resulting in paralysis etc. in the construction sector

Anyway done with this can see the arguements for a well paid force and corruption arguement is strong enough reason for me(and the cops in Donegal are good enough example of that couldn't do with a country full of them, so let the babies have their bottle)

But lets be real next time the guards moan about poor pay(24/7 alliance and all) have a think about their allowance they've done well out of the "blue flu benchmarking"

We will have it your way so.. no more allowances for the Gardai. But can I have my money back that contributes to your dole every week while we're on the subject of allowances??

(I'm not a Garda btw)

well it seems some Garda /wanna be Garda did an excellent investigation into my previous posts using the profile tab, top quality work lads

Yes i was on the dole for 3 weeks but i think my 13 years PRSI contributions covered the 600 quid i got

It seems boards.ie is riddled with Garda or Garda wanna be's check out:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289429&page=135
    135 pages of people dying to get spit at, stabbed, killed or maybe dying to get a sweet number thats well paid with very low entry requirments

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289438&page=117
    and another 117 pages of people already accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do you have one?

Facilities, uniforms etc for builders - no, hell no!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

well great to see the boards garda protection squad out in full force

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An the builders can't score homely country nurses in Copper Faced Jacks!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

yadda yadda

Is that you Jimmmy ?

oh yeah not forgeting coppers

the only pub you can get drink in town after official closing hours on Saturday now. Why?

Becuase its a Garda pub and the guards close a blind eye to it servin for a half an hour or more than other pubs

tempted puttin it in as another allowances but after being in there before i'd call it a curse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've a feeling that this isn't really about extra income gardai make. If I were to guess that it's about a garda/gardai píssed you off for reasons which may or may not have been your own fault and you were complaining about it to someone who fed you this information.*

The retired gardai I know are nothing like you have described.

*Just a guess with a lot of help from my imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Overheal wrote: »
    A Police Force is similar in structure to a Military Force beside the very obvious and very important difference of jurisdiction. Military Personnel get a slew of similar benefits. Same with the Coast Guard.

Can't blame the Gardai on this one. You want your 4 million Euro? I hear it went to the Fas executive travel budget. Go gettim'.

Seriously, pray tell?.

(I might be able to have 26years non-payment of these allowences back dated)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

oh yeah not forgeting coppers

the only pub you can get drink in town after official closing hours on Saturday now. Why?

No it's not. You can get a late gargle in loads of places ffs. Mmmm gargle.

FACT:

Garda pay and allowances bill has reached €904 million a year compared with €530 million in 2001.

Thats nearly a 60% increase, crazy.

Never had a run in with garda in my life was just told of all the allowances and as private sector worker who never got a penny to clean his clothes/boots nor ever got a penny in rent allowance to move somewhere to work i was quite shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

FACT:

Garda pay and allowances bill has reached €904 million a year compared with €530 million in 2001.

Never had a run in with garda in my life was just told of all the allowances and as private sector worker who never got a penny to clean his clothes/boots nor ever got a penny in rent allowance to move somewhere to work i was quite shocked

how do you work out that out? 904m - 503m does not equal 60%. more closer to 40%. :confused:

and you were saying that garda is a low intelligence job that only requires a leaving cert. do require them to be part of mensa???

i would imagine an awful lot of people in the private sector have had at least a 40% pay increase in over 8 years (cost of living increasing, celtic tiger etc etc.)

how do you work out that out? 904m - 503m does not equal 60%. more closer to 40%.

How did you do yours????

Did my sums much too quicky my friend its actually worse than 60% you must have hoped it would be 40%

904m - 530m = 374million euro increase

374million as percentage of 503m is a 70.5% increase

(374/503)*100= 70.566

Therefore to get from 530m to 904m you need to multiply 530m by 1.705 or increase it by 70.5% same thing

Now even worse than i thought 70% increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Haha think I might have done my sums a bit quick as well!

Anyway I think everybody elsehere is of the same opinion and that is the gardai deserve what they get paid. It's a tough job.

well i was even more shocked than you murf

i'm going to click my heels and hope my professional groups payrolls cost go up 70% in 8years

i'm on 40K average wage

in 8 years im going to be on 68K, sweet as nut joey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

I don't usually reply to these moronic threads but I've a few minutes to spare so I'll address what I can:
    BASIC
    + shift allowance most jobs that work shift have a shift allowance.
    + rent allowance tax free(€4,160) Where did you hear its tax-free????Did Jiiimmmmmyyyyy tell you?
    + uniform allowance €4
    + boot allowance €2
    + away from station for the day allowance(airport passport guys + other moving prisoners from x to y)Its called subsistence allowance and is paid to all civil and public servants
    + overtime(easily availible, perhaps reduced now) Should people work overtime for free?????
    + handy days standing around croke park (€200euro from what i'm told) All duty of a non-public nature is paid for by the organiser i.e. GAA, MCD etc etc
    + scheduling a ten minute court appearance on your day off knowing that you'll get paid for the minimum 5hours you get under union agreements that state you must be paid this minimum time regardless of your actual time worked(been told first hand about this)Minimum is 3 hours actually
    +Garda credit union(cheap loans how many apartments have you rented from Garda i've been in 3 apartments all owned by garda in the last 5 years, 3 friends have garda landlords) I have no idea what your beef with this is. Are Gardai not entitled to a credit union or to invest their money???
    +health insurance for you and married partner Roughly €60 per week if married with kids. Paid for by the Member him or her self. Are Gardai not supposed to have private health insurance? Didn't realise they were banned. Ok lads - all gardai stop paying health insurance now and clog up the public health system
    + if put on clerical duty(9-5) an allowance to compensate you for the allowances your missing by not working unsocial hours true
    + plain clothes allowance, if your plain clothes garda to buy your own clothesTrue - you could buy a suit in Aldi every few weeks with the amount involved. It may not dawn on some people but your clothes are subject to a little more wear and tear than normal when you are dealing with scumbags all day
    +Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance True, if you serve in these areas.
    + retire @ 50 with full pension(lump sum+payments)True - changed to 55 for new entrants in recent times AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

FACT:

Forgot about this little nugget.

I don't now if your figures are correct, but Garda numbers have increased by 2,000 in recent times. That may account for some of your quoted increase :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Country is broke, the public service pay bill has to take the cut as part of realigning out of control public finances.

The launch of 24/7 union is latest in line of public announcements from Gardai PR involving poster campaigns & radio spots in an attempt like every other special interest group or union to defend their wallets.

Taking the pain involves wage cuts, the flipside to the permanent job security a Garda enjoys is subservience to the state, if decided upon you can try and claim special privilege like the Irish judges or do your bit.

I say look at the defeat of the pharmacists bid for public sympathy to defend their bottom line. Garda pay is still competitive in times of mass unemployment.

I wonder how a new blue flu would go down with the public in 2010?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

To the OP.

Do you really think that one of the most unpopular governments in recent times is going to cut Garda pay/allowances when public anger and resentment to said Government is growing daily? And that said anger could boil over into less than peaceful protest?

well the new 2000 guys must be on about 200,000euro a yea. Just defend the allowance while working 9-5 for missing out on the allowance for unsocial hours. It costs a couple of million a year. Defend it!!

just remember an allowance for missing an allowance how fu*ked up is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

just remember an allowance for missing an allowance how fu*ked up is that

About as ****ed up as having to approach the scum elements of this country without a gun on your hip and hoping that you're not gonna be the next Garda in ICU with gunshot/stab wounds.

• Advertisement

unless pens and computers have started stabbing people i don't understand your arguement . Remember this is an allowance for people put on clerical duty save away from all the scum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement