Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian tax thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i dont think you post the cert even if you have it, i didnt when doing my first one a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

lg123 wrote: »
    i dont think you post the cert even if you have it, i didnt when doing my first one a few years ago.

No need to post the medicare cert until they come looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

monariek wrote: »
    what sort of fee did they charge? any link you could provide?

Etax is telling me the name i have provided doesnt match their records...bit odd as i am entering it exactly as shown on my payment summary.
    Belt wrote: »
    Yes im having the same issue, etax cant verify my name or DOB. Rang ATO and they said I'd havr to post it

I use a small accountant , got his details from friends. He charges 65 and lodged my amendment too. I think you can make an amendment yourself upto 3months after , but a accountant can do it upto 3 years after

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Here's my problem

I have completed my return on line - but as its my first return I have to print it off and send it to them - cant lodge it on line. I don't have a printer and cant download the etax file at work (its blocked) -I saved the file to a usb thinking that I could print from a computer at work but that didnt work - Any ideas anyone?

Here's my problem

I have completed my return on line - but as its my first return I have to print it off and send it to them - cant lodge it on line. I don't have a printer and cant download the etax file at work (its blocked) -I saved the file to a usb thinking that I could print from a computer at work but that didnt work - Any ideas anyone?

download a pdf creator for your computer
    Then change the printer settings in e-tax to the PDF printer and print it on your computer - this will then convert the file to PDF where you can then save it onto a usb and print at work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Thanks - i will try that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How would i go about getting my TFN number? I can't seem to find the original documents, and will need it when applying for my tax. Can i just ring the ATO and get them to give it to me? Or would it be on my end of year payslip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Kiith wrote: »
    How would i go about getting my TFN number? I can't seem to find the original documents, and will need it when applying for my tax. Can i just ring the ATO and get them to give it to me? Or would it be on my end of year payslip?

It should be on your payslip and any Tax Summary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Has anyone lodged their return in before receiving their medicare exemption cert?

yes, most people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

I worked on a working holiday visa for half the year with an agency and then got a full time employer that sponsored me does this complicate things at all or is it a straight forward return ??

i got sent 2 payg end of year forms what do i fill out on etax the combined total ?? the app seems like u just put in one gross amount ??

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

darcy07 wrote: »
    I worked on a working holiday visa for half the year with an agency and then got a full time employer that sponsored me does this complicate things at all or is it a straight forward return ??

i got sent 2 payg end of year forms what do i fill out on etax the combined total ?? the app seems like u just put in one gross amount ??

Your tax is calculated by your earnings for the year so yes you would just put in your gross earnings for the year. Your visa has no relevance to your tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Hi guys, could anyone recommend a tax consultant in around Perth cbd. I live in east Perth. Im on a 457 visa and work in the construction industry if this helps. Thanks in advance.
    Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hi guys, could anyone recommend a tax consultant in around Perth cbd. I live in east Perth. Im on a 457 visa and work in the construction industry if this helps. Thanks in advance.
    Niall

I went to a guy called John Barber. He works for a crowd called Kensington partners on bulwer street

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Slidey wrote: »
    I went to a guy called John Barber. He works for a crowd called Kensington partners on bulwer street

How did you find him? And is it a set price accountant?

Scrappylad wrote: »
    How did you find him? And is it a set price accountant?

He came recommended to me from a friend. I'm not sure how he charges, I paid 220 but it was worth it for me.

I think it may vary on the work he needs to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

He came recommended to me from a friend. I'm not sure how he charges, I paid 220 but it was worth it for me.

I think it may vary on the work he needs to do

$220? That's extremely pricey, in fairness.

My accountant is a set price of $50 if you want to receive the money in a cheque or $60 if you want it paid direct to your bank account. All done over the phone/via email too so no need to call into him. He's based in Melbourne but I passed on his details to friends of mine in Perth and they've used him last year with no problems. I can pm you his details if you want. I'm also on a 457 so he's familiar with the medicare levy exemption/what can be claimed etc.

$220? That's extremely pricey, in fairness.

My accountant is a set price of $50 if you want to receive the money in a cheque or $60 if you want it paid direct to your bank account. All done over the phone/via email too so no need to call into him. He's based in Melbourne but I passed on his details to friends of mine in Perth and they've used him last year with no problems. I can pm you his details if you want. I'm also on a 457 so he's familiar with the medicare levy exemption/what can be claimed etc.

but it will entirely depend on the individual circumstances - he/she might have other income asides from PAYG (eg side job with an ABN, australian dividends, etc)

I must say $50 is a very good deal however, I wouldn't even charge that little myself for returns I do for people!

$220 is expensive, i paid $120. not cheap either but convenient.

I think it does depend on how much work he has to do.

Personally, he saved me well over 10 times that in a tax bill so I think it was worth it

• Advertisement

I think it does depend on how much work he has to do.

Personally, he saved me well over 10 times that in a tax bill so I think it was worth it

Saving you 40 times the cost would've been even better though.

That's his flat rate for an individual tax return, it doesn't matter how much extra work he has to do. I had Irish income to take into account plus he claimed flights to Ireland as work expenses etc. My friend who also used him has dependants and it was the same price for him.

Saving you 40 times the cost would've been even better though.

That's his flat rate for an individual tax return, it doesn't matter how much extra work he has to do. I had Irish income to take into account plus he claimed flights to Ireland as work expenses etc. My friend who also used him has dependants and it was the same price for him.

may i ask what type of irish income......as most foreign income is not assessable in australia on a 457 regardless of tax residence under the Australian foreign income exemption for temporary residence

Legend100 wrote: »
    may i ask what type of irish income......as most foreign income is not assessable in australia on a 457 regardless of tax residence under the Australian foreign income exemption for temporary residence

I received a xmas bonus from my previous employer in Ireland because I was working there for part of the year. I received it tax-free through an inter company transfer so that had to be taken into account when I lodged my end of year tax return.

I received a xmas bonus from my previous employer in Ireland because I was working there for part of the year. I received it tax-free through an inter company transfer so that had to be taken into account when I lodged my end of year tax return.

technically not the way it should have been done but you are prob better off as I'm assuming your marginal rate is lower here

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Hi guys,

Great thread.
    I'm claiming taxback for a friend using the etax.
    With regard to the medicare exemption cert, he didn't apply for the exemption last year and wants to claim back this years and last years.
    Can I claim last years using etax?

Legend100 wrote: »
    technically not the way it should have been done but you are prob better off as I'm assuming your marginal rate is lower here

Yeah, at the time, I checked which way would allow me to pay less tax overall so I went with that way.

Yeah, at the time, I checked which way would allow me to pay less tax overall so I went with that way.

Irish revenue might not be too happy though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good tax consultant in Brisbane. Or elsewhere if it can be all done over phone/email?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Hi,

Trying to do the return for my partner and it gets stuck on screen 7505 when it asks for her spouse's details in the Medicare section. I completed mine and included her info on my return and it worked no problem. I can't progress hers past this point now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Right, doing it myself as i can't be arsed going to an accountant.

Question about the medicare exemption though...it says enter the number of days i was in that category. Is that literally the amount of days i've worked, or do i put in the full year?

Advertisement