Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your culture being erased?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

old hippy wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'm like, crockholm. Because whenever someone claims that immigration is affecting Ireland's culture - I always ask how it's affecting them, directly. I've never once had a straight answer from the oppressed masses yet :D

Woof!

It's already over 30 posts. How many fcuking straight answers do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Maybe the loss of traditional Irish names, Vladimir ?

Fashions in names change and people have naturally moved on from padraighín and Bridgit!
    Most famous Irish people dont or didn't even have distinctly Irish names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Lollers

Seriously none of these people must be aware of the fact we have been 'invaded' time and time again, new people come here and settle and get absorbed, happened to the Celts, the Milseans, the Vikings, the Normans, tis nothing new.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Morag wrote: »
    Lollers

Seriously none of these people must be aware of the fact we have been 'invaded' time and time again, new people come here and settle and get absorbed, happened to the Celts, the Milseans, the Vikings, the Normans, tis nothing new.

Ireland was once occupied by sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I can now get a decent coffee. Irish culture seemed to demand truly awful 'coffee' until 5/10 years ago - I'm glad that's gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Has anyone noticed how the majority of immigrants are foreigners?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

oldyouth wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed how the majority of immigrants are foreigners?????

I have. They have accents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Opps Milesian

http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/milesianhouse.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

sesswhat wrote: »
    It's already over 30 posts. How many fcuking straight answers do you want?

Sigh.

Because whenever someone claims that immigration is affecting Ireland's culture - I always ask how it's affecting them, directly. I've never once had a straight answer from those that claim immigration is having an affect on our culture as to what exactly affects them and how.

So. Have. You. Had. One. Now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Not from the posters that OP's referring to, no.

I'd like to stake my own claim to erasing/diluting Irish culture if I may?

I've trained the wife to shout "Barnet!" at anyone with an out of order haircut.

You'll all be doing it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My culture seems to be thriving, the Irish bars I pass seem to live up to their stereotype.

Sigh.

I've never once had a straight answer from those that claim immigration is having an affect on our culture as to what exactly affects them and how.

Do. You. Follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Lollers

Perhaps you might find the odd bit of strife/murder/rape and slavery in between those influxes. Though it would have been funny to see a "clonmacnoice festival of viking culture "attended by really really old hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lollers

A shiny new donkey to the first person to erase this sort of cultural terminology...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I miss Barry's tea and casual racism.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I don't think immigrants are screwing up our culture at all, a bit of diversity is good. The Government seems to be doing a pretty sterling job of fucking it up, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Apparently, if you read the more insistent daily papers or listen to some of the louder voices on the wireless - Irish culture is being eroded by immigration.
    Considering Irish Immigrants take their culture with them everywhere they go in the world ie, singing Celtic folk songs, drinking Guinness ,wearing GAA sweaters...quoting Fr Ted at the drop of a hat :pac: it shouldn't be a problem to keep it up to scratch at home .

A common complaint of many English is that England is rapidly loosing it's cultural identity due to the influx over the years of other nationalities, cultures and religions but in many cases , it's just older natives looking back through rose tinted glasses of summer evenings ,driving along leafy country English lanes ,when it was a predominantly a white Anglo Saxon race that never will be again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I can now get a decent coffee. Irish culture seemed to demand truly awful 'coffee' until 5/10 years ago - I'm glad that's gone

Christ, yes. It was only maybe 3-4 years ago that my parents still thought instant coffee was the way to go.

Good coffee, various oriental restaurants that do more than sweet and sour chickenballs, new musical beats, scales and melodies, sushi, new fashions, new words for the language, those awesome little Czech/Polish/Korean shops with all their fascinating little odds and ends, and a whole load of ammunition for comedians in the shouty proles who rant about our disappearing culture.

If anything erased Irish culture, it was every government since the foundation of the state doing a piss-poor job at encouraging use of the language and all but covering up the actually interesting historical stuff about Celts and Vikings and blood, sex and death. It was miserable embittered hack writers like padraic o chonaire (sp? Don't care enough to spell check him) ranting about how everything was sh*t and how their misfortunes were someone else's fault.

Culture that doesn't evolve dies. You either embrace the changes, or you die off alongside the discarded bits like terrible coffee and bacon&cabbage for dinner every night. My culture isn't being erased, it's changing constantly as I get exposed to new ideas, tastes, sounds and smells.

Sigh.

I've never once had a straight answer from those that claim immigration is having an affect on our culture as to what exactly affects them and how.

Do. You. Follow?

You already stated the reason for the quest.

I am only questioning if it will ever reach a conclusion. How likely is it that this thread will yield an answer to your satisfaction?

A few people have already outlined how their culture is changing for the better as a result of immigration. Were they not straight answers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I decided to join the human species culture. This makes me all religions and all cultures at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

ScumLord wrote: »
    I decided to join the human species culture. This makes me all religions and all cultures at once.

So you're gonna get the blame for pretty much everything then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Irish culture is still very much thriving - the boozers are packed every weekend.

You already stated the reason for the quest.

I am only questioning if it will ever reach a conclusion. How likely is it that this thread will yield an answer to your satisfaction?

A few people have already outlined how their culture is changing for the better as a result of immigration. Were they not straight answers?

Yes, they were straight answers. I am just curious to know what the naysayers say as regards to their oft repeated mantra that immigration is a negative thing for Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

orestes wrote: »
    So you're gonna get the blame for pretty much everything then?
    I had the opposite assumption, that I could never be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yes, it was a huge movement that spanned over a series of months called Occupy Wall's Sweets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Earlier closing times, offies closing at 10, rising prices, propaganda about effects on health etc etc... This is a war we must fight together!

Advertisement