Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your culture being erased?

Options
  • 27-02-2013 1:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Apparently, if you read the more insistent daily papers or listen to some of the louder voices on the wireless - Irish culture is being eroded by immigration.

Do you agree with this and if so, how is it directly affecting you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

old hippy wrote: »
    Apparently, if you read the more insistent daily papers or listen to some of the louder voices on the wireless - Irish culture is being eroded by immigration.

Any examples?

"Irish culture" is a very general term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My culture isn't being erased. It's evolving, expanding and progressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Immigration or Emigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The longer I am out of school, the more my grasp of the Irish language seeps from my brain.

Sin E.

Oh yeah, I blame the immagents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

What culture can be described as specifically Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

You're like a dog with a bone OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I like globalisation and hope to contribute to it for the rest of my career.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh no, not my God-fearing, gay-hating culture!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Canesten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Apparently, if you read the more insistent daily papers

A polite way of saying 'tabloid rags/toilet paper'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

It hasn't affected me. I quite like multiculturalism

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't recall hearing anyone recently claiming our culture is being erased by immigration.

Examples?

I had to google what a wireless was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The locals now find they don't have it all their own way when it comes to the traditional pig-ignorant parking outside the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

They're trying to get us all into houses and have made it illegal for us to camp alongside the road, boss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Are you expecting examples in "red crayon" here also?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you expecting examples in "red crayon" here also?

No, a blood sweat and tears cocktail on the end of a quill is the way these things operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Seachmall wrote: »
    My culture isn't being erased. It's evolving, expanding and progressing.

This is it in a nutshell.
    Far too often people think of culture as a snapshot of history, something that must remain unchanged and repeated for ever more.
    I see it much more as an evolution, I mark certain important events but expect them to become less important as new experiences come into my life.
    Life is for living for yourself, not trying to make it into some sort of historic re enactment, and having no tolerance for anyone who won't look through your rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Our culture? Of locking up children, women and the disabiled and mental illl into horific institutes under the collar of the catholic church and a population who held ignorant, bigotted mindsets..
    Ya, I think I can live with a bit of that culture erasing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Irish culture is whatever the people of Ireland say it is. By which I mean people who live and raise children here, regardless of what nationality they, or their parents were. Culture changes over time and the culture of modern Ireland is no more or less Irish than the culture of Catholic Ireland, or before that Pagan Ireland or Viking Ireland or Celtic Ireland. It is just newer.

If people truly feel that the epitome of Irish culture is (probably) whatever it was during their childhood. They are free to do their best to preserve it. Some groups have even been quite successful at it, the Amish for example. Just don't expect the rest of us to live in the past with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Ironically by the likes of the Daily Mail with a track record and mile long portfolio in paddy bashing and punch magazine like caricatures of the Irish. Any sh!te will do even if it contradicts previous articles, to sell a newspaper for the likes of the Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

As a Latino from the US. Immigration is increasing my culture. More wetbacks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ejmaztec wrote: »
    No, a blood sweat and tears cocktail on the end of a quill is the way these things operate.

Blood, Sweat and Tears are American.

I denounce you to the monocultural secret police! Please stay where you are and the Gestapo will be along to arrest you momentarily.

I also must denounce myself: I went to see the Bolshoi. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

How is your culture being erased?

The guards are catching up on me for a litany of offences, the scrap metal man no longer deals in cash (now the bastard wants a PPS number), the doo gooders are on to me for animal abuse an I'm being forced to educate me kids boss.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not allowed use Ogham on my number plates any more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I don't recall hearing anyone recently claiming our culture is being erased by immigration.

Examples?

Maybe the loss of traditional Irish names, Vladimir ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I cant say Bangarda anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

crockholm wrote: »
    You're like a dog with a bone OP

That's exactly what I'm like, crockholm. Because whenever someone claims that immigration is affecting Ireland's culture - I always ask how it's affecting them, directly. I've never once had a straight answer from the oppressed masses yet :D

Woof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe the loss of traditional Irish names, Vladimir ?

....they aren't being replaced with Eastern European ones though, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

That's exactly what I'm like, crockholm. Because whenever someone claims that immigration is affecting Ireland's culture - I always ask how it's affecting them, directly. I've never once had a straight answer from the oppressed masses yet :D

Indirectly it affects our national social welfare, housing and education bills.
    So we've all less money to drink.

Advertisement