Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

1.) Anyone lived there? Not sure what that means. I'll guess, though. It seems pretty empty this semester (we have an empty room in my apartment) but that's not necessarily a *bad* thing always.

2.) It's not actually too noisy, though sometimes there are parties. I don't really mind those, since I have contributed on several occasions, and they really aren't the worst. The staff is okay, nothing to complain about there.

3.) Internet - actually pretty good. I have the router in my room, which is nice, but the signal is okay throughout the apartment. Sometimes it acts up, though, and recently there has been a filter, which is ****ing retarded.

General stuff: It's a nice place, pretty big and full kitchens and all that. But it's kind of expensive, so you ARE paying for it. Laundry is also a pain in the ass, there are only 2 machines, and it's 2,50 for a wash and 2,50 for a dry, so that's also a bit annoying.

Response to questions from a mate who lives there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Where do I find what the expected arrival date is for my course?

You will get a welcome pack in the mail with everything you need to know about when to come in for orientation and when you start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

magicianz wrote: »
    You will get a welcome pack in the mail with everything you need to know about when to come in for orientation and when you start :)

Thanks but I filled out the form for accomodation on ucc.ie and it asked for expected arrival date so I just put down the second monday in September and guess the finish date too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Does anyone know of a 6-bed around college? Can't really find anything at the moment and finding it hard to please all 6 people! Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Okay lads I was wondering, when do I apply for accomodation at UCC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Seaic wrote: »
    Okay lads I was wondering, when do I apply for accomodation at UCC?

A lot of private places have started accepting applications. Best bet is to check the ucc accommodation website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uccstudent1

Anyone know anything about Sheare's gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VC9029

I'm looking for someone to take over end of lease from may to aug, with the option of staying on for academic year. It's a 4 double bed student house with parking in Wilton, just opposite the shopping centre. Great value. If anyone is interested let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 panagma

Hi there,

I have just applied to do a Master in BIS in sept, and currently looking at different places to stay as a masters student. I was looking at Sheare's Gate, Dennehy's Cross and Lancaster Apartments. Which of these would be best recommended. I don't mind the price of the places, (saved up a lot of money to do the course) just want to know if people have had experiences with the accommodation and some pro and cons about the different locations.

Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kip Casper

Hi.

I'm a Masters student who will be staying in Cork this summer to finish off a project. Looking to rent a house (or an apartment) for the summer months in or around the Mardyke/city centre stretch.

If anybody knows of somewhere available around these parts, or has any general advice, please do let me know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I'm currently living at The Student Village, it's a 15 min walk from college and is really good, highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

would there still be a chance of getting campus accom if i booked now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Hector122 wrote: »
    would there still be a chance of getting campus accom if i booked now?

For next semester? Of course! You'd be grand waiting up until august to book realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

where is recommended on campus?

Hector122 wrote: »
    where is recommended on campus?

The closest accommodation to campus is Castlewhite, it's right beside main campus, western gateway building and lots of other places which is handy. The rooms are nice, with loads of storage - a double bed, unless you're sharing with another person, in which case it's a single bed - and they have their own sinks. But there's only one bathroom to share between everyone, which is up to 6 people. It's a toilet cubicle and then a shower cubicle right next to it - I've stayed there for a week before, and it was not a pleasant experience. Also the tv only has about 4 channels. Most people I know living there in first year don't get along with their roommates.
    Brookfield is really close too, but personally I don't like it. Security is really strict, though the parties are meant to be great. It has a nice setting - trees everywhere - but I find the apartments way too small.

The student Village is probably one of the nicest and cheapest accommodations going - it's where I'm living now and I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

The closest accommodation to campus is Castlewhite, it's right beside main campus, western gateway building and lots of other places which is handy. The rooms are nice, with loads of storage - a double bed, unless you're sharing with another person, in which case it's a single bed - and they have their own sinks. But there's only one bathroom to share between everyone, which is up to 6 people. It's a toilet cubicle and then a shower cubicle right next to it - I've stayed there for a week before, and it was not a pleasant experience. Also the tv only has about 4 channels. Most people I know living there in first year don't get along with their roommates.
    Brookfield is really close too, but personally I don't like it. Security is really strict, though the parties are meant to be great. It has a nice setting - trees everywhere - but I find the apartments way too small.

The student Village is probably one of the nicest and cheapest accommodations going - it's where I'm living now and I love it!

Damn I already booked The Lodge but those look really great...

Damn I already booked The Lodge but those look really great...

Vic Lodge is it? I know several people staying there, one girl hates it, her kitchen is tiny and the tv is right beside one counter, the kitchen table is in front of it, and then there's some leather chairs - but it's only her and 2 other girls. Apartments with more people in it have more space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I was in a 4-bed in Vic Lodge last year, the living area in it was a big step up space-wise from the 3-bed, plenty of room for the table and two couches, suppose it's the luck of the draw with who and where they put you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bah94

Hi myself and my friend (both girls) are looking to live in a cheap (90 p/w at most) 5 or 6 person house . We're starting 2nd year in September, we're finding trouble getting accomodation as landlords prefer us to all be in a group! we however, are looking to meet new people. so if there's a group of 3 or 4 of ye (or even 1) that kinda has the same problem as us pls let me know and we can group together to look for a house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Allo lads. Found out today I got my place in UCC so it looks like I will be taking up my booking for Castlewhite. Wondering what the place is like to live in to be honest. Spent some time there a few years ago and it seemed nice enough. How are the people there? Is it madly noisy or do people keep it low? And most importantly, is the internet there any good or will I have to pick up a 3g stick? thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Anyone be able to recomend a 6/7 bedroom house with parking on college road/ Highfield Avenue/west?? PM me, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 baby fingers breen

Hey, I'm looking for a cheapish (max. €80 p/w) 4 bed house for a group share. We've checked out the usual sites but still nothing. Does anybody know of any good houses out there that aren't listed yet? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Have to stay in Cork for summer due to work placement.. houses seem to be 40ish a week, student accom approx 60 including bills.. How much would bills be on average a month in a house? Trying to figure out what to do right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

I'm looking for accomodation on college road for 3/4 people for summer months? anyone got any ideas? willing to pay maximum of €45! Thanks :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi guys! Starting a masters in UCC in September and looking to find a place now. Place on Wilton Rd. has caught my eye. That would be about 15 minutes walk from campus right?

Also is €90pw pretty much the standard for rent? I do see one or two places advertising between 50 and 60 but I'm assuming thats just for the summer months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Iv never been in either but i recommend victoria mills similar to university halls. I often walked by it going to ucc. Also depends on course both accommodation close to ucc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hi guys! Starting a masters in UCC in September and looking to find a place now. Place on Wilton Rd. has caught my eye. That would be about 15 minutes walk from campus right?

Also is €90pw pretty much the standard for rent? I do see one or two places advertising between 50 and 60 but I'm assuming thats just for the summer months....

I'm also looking for Postgrad accommodation, 85+ seems to be the standard rate for a decent place.

Have ye looked at the orchard gardens apartments the old ones off victoria cross and new ones off denneheys cross? Denneheys one is catered for postgrads if you look at ucc accommodation website. Might be too pricey but lovely apartments and great location. Tesco express. Not far from ucc.

doovdela wrote: »
    Have ye looked at the orchard gardens apartments the old ones off victoria cross and new ones off denneheys cross? Denneheys one is catered for postgrads if you look at ucc accommodation website. Might be too pricey but lovely apartments and great location. Tesco express. Not far from ucc.

I think i'd have to sell my kidneys for them. :pac:

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I think i'd have to sell my kidneys for them. :pac:

I know! :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, I enquired about the University Halls ones. €5,331 and thats only from September to the end of May. They look really nice but not a hope I could afford that.

Think deans halls or apartments near wilton/bishopstown might suit?

doovdela wrote: »
    Think deans halls or apartments near wilton/bishopstown might suit?

Thanks, that looks a lot more affordable, do you know if internet, electricity etc. is included in those prices?

Yeah, I enquired about the University Halls ones. €5,331 and thats only from September to the end of May. They look really nice but not a hope I could afford that.

I'm looking at Abbey Wharf, all bills are covered in the price and i'm finding it rather tempting. Here's a list of apartment complexes and it points out which ones cover bills.
    http://www.uccaccommodation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Current-students-Complex-Price-Summary.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Thanks, that looks a lot more affordable, do you know if internet, electricity etc. is included in those prices?

My boyfriend lived in Deans Hall, It's lovely. Electricity and internet included. Washing facilities on site, Internet is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

4 bed house to let at lower end of barracks street-around the corner from Deans hall, 1500/month, bins, internet/wifi and basic cable with flat screen tv provided by landlord, your only bills will be rent and the esb and gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

In university halls does your rent cover ESB etc. ?? I know there's an initial deposit at the beginning could anyone explain please ? Thanks !

3fullback wrote: »
    In university halls does your rent cover ESB etc. ?? I know there's an initial deposit at the beginning could anyone explain please ? Thanks !

I don't really know how the deposit works but when they e-mailed me back they said bills were included in rent.

I don't really know how the deposit works but when they e-mailed me back they said bills were included in rent.

I'd presume it would have to be , fact it's a apt complex and part of ucc acomm ! Anyone else have any experience !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I'd presume it would have to be , fact it's a apt complex and part of ucc acomm ! Anyone else have any experience !?

Lived in Uni Hall last year and going back again in September! Ask away :)

Yes, bills are paid. Everything is covered apart from washing machines :) Rooms are lovely, apartments are amazing and it's so quiet. Internet is being fixed this year so it'll be a lot better and there is never any hassle from the wardens, it's very handy like.

• Advertisement

Lived in Uni Hall last year and going back again in September! Ask away :)

Yes, bills are paid. Everything is covered apart from washing machines :) Rooms are lovely, apartments are amazing and it's so quiet. Internet is being fixed this year so it'll be a lot better and there is never any hassle from the wardens, it's very handy like.

That's brill thanks for your help, does everyone get to know each other ? also how many to an apt ?

Any other adivce you can give me would be great ðŸ˜႒!

Thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

That's brill thanks for your help, does everyone get to know each other ? also how many to an apt ?

Any other adivce you can give me would be great ðŸ˜႒!

Thanks so much

They organise events so you can get to know people! It could be anything from 2 to 5 people per apt.

Location is great - close to college and has all the shops nearby. Sinead - the woman in charge is also very approachable. Never had any issues with her.

Anything else? :)

Im not really sure as dont know of anyone who lived there but it would be for most student accommodation. Electricity and bills might be seperate. Internet might be wifi. Best get in contact with them to find out for sure of the details.

They organise events so you can get to know people! It could be anything from 2 to 5 people per apt.

Location is great - close to college and has all the shops nearby. Sinead - the woman in charge is also very approachable. Never had any issues with her.

Anything else? :)

Thanks again I'm going on my own so a bit apprehensive ! But seems great !

Anyone have any experience with the victoria Station apartments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

;);)Advice to those looking for house accomodation!

take a walk up through college,magazine,highfield road and look at the houses,,

They usually have signs at the front 'Room available' etc.

I did this the last 5 years in UCC and always found a house,

You could arrange multiple viewings for different houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bah94

I've stayed in Brookfield this year and my friends have atayed in vic mills and the two main issues my friends would have with vic mills is the distance and the broadband is shockng over there (theres a limit to how much each person can use a day) if you don't mind sharing a bathroom i'd def recommend brookfield!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Korasa wrote: »
    Allo lads. Found out today I got my place in UCC so it looks like I will be taking up my booking for Castlewhite. Wondering what the place is like to live in to be honest. Spent some time there a few years ago and it seemed nice enough. How are the people there? Is it madly noisy or do people keep it low? And most importantly, is the internet there any good or will I have to pick up a 3g stick? thanks in advance.

The accommodation itself is brilliant. Great heating, great kitchen, brilliant location near campus and your bedroom is really nice. The internet is connected upto main campus so all you have to do is register your devices in the boole basement, no need of a stick. I would say to put in that you dont want to live on the ground floor cause of the amount of people that pass by in a day is crazy. I was there two years ago and the crowd is mainly chinese and people from the middle east. They are all quiet and friendly although they tend not to mix. There is always a crowd of Irish people though and if you make the effort you will make friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Anyone have any experience with the victoria Station apartments?

I would go with faranlea hall if you are living in that area :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pollyc_13

Hey everyone,

I will be studying at UCC as an international student for the autumn semester from Canada, super excited :)

Since I'll be the equivalent of a 4th year, I submitted an application to stay at University Hall so I'll have a quieter place to study and hopefully more students my age. From what I've read it seems like a nice place to stay. Can anyone tell me the types of students who typically live there (Masters, Undergrads, local, visiting/international)? Just curious.

Also, I just submitted the online application today, what are the chances I'll get my first choice? I'm only here for the autumn semester...

Thanks!

Advertisement