Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darragh En

Sounds like a good spot, planning on staying there next year, thought those prices are discouraging might look at a house.

Any thoughts on what's the best size place to go for there-3,4,5,6, or 7 bedroom?
    I'd like the social aspect of living with another 5 or 6, but there are surely disadvantages, and thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I've been living in Vic Mills since September 2007.

Inc. deposit and shtuff its about 5.5k, way too expensive. Rooms are nowhere near soundproof, manager strolls in to your apartment when he feels like it, hassle to get things fixed etc.

If I could go back I would have gotten a house.

The only reason I've stayed so long is my grant covered it: its handy to pay upfront and not have to worry about bills or anything for the rest of the year. Also you have your own en-suite.

Deluxe apartments are not for rent, I inquired about 2 years ago and was told they're reserved for the wardens.

3 beds don't have balconies. Don't live in a 7 bed if you value your sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can anyone tell me how you go about applying for accomodation? Do you wait until you're accepted or wha? Also do you apply to the college or separate bodies??

Thks.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

THFC wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how you go about applying for accomodation? Do you wait until you're accepted or wha? Also do you apply to the college or separate bodies??

Thks.

You apply to the different accommodation bodies, usually people have it booked before offers, but it's not that hard to get accommodation after offers, due to people not taking the places they already booked and dropping out, and people sometimes book more than one because they're put on a waiting list for their first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Do any of ye know what Abbey-Wharf Washington Street accomodation is like? Would ye recommend it?

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Do any of ye know what Abbey-Wharf Washington Street accomodation is like? Would ye recommend it?

My friend lived there last year, they had a washing machine there, unlike most student residences. You have a bathroom between two as far as I know, as opposed to between 4 elsewhere. It's quite nice, although he regularly complains of car alarms and noise at night. He was a first year but was put in with 3 masters students last year, so maybe ask about that. He's glad to be out of it because it was quite far away from most of the other student accommodation and didn't really get on with his flatmates, but it was really close to town and the flatmates was the only really big complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

engizmo wrote: »

Now after sharing all that, I have a question myself :DI'm filling out my Vic Mills resident form, and it asks how big an apartment I would like to live in- Does anybody know what is the best size apartment to live in, to have the most space in? For things like the living area and the notorious issue of fridge space? There's a choice for anywhere between a 3 and 7 bedroom apartment. Thanks in advance :)

3 bed apartments are the smallest, no balcony but €400 cheaper.
    Obviously the more bedrooms the apartment has, the larger the apartment will be.

Fridge space is ****e, doesn't matter what you opt for. 3 and 4 beds have one fridge. 5/6/7 have two, but they're tiny.

Ok, I'm aware people have probably found places to stay by now but here goes: looking for a female to share with one girl and two guys, three of us are second years, two science & a social science. House is on Gillabbey terrace (behind Subway on the top of college road). Really nice house, the other girl that was going to stay with us got another place in a different house, but can't take it until we get someone to move in instead of her. First years welcome, just in case ye're intimidated by a bunch of second years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sh4128

if your going away to college on your own? (rest of my friends staying at home) whats the best place to go? am freaking out about this!

sh4128 wrote: »
    if your going away to college on your own? (rest of my friends staying at home) whats the best place to go? am freaking out about this!

Student accommodation with other first years. Avoid Abbey Wharf on Washington street, as far as I know it's mostly post grad students. A house is cheaper but most first years go to student accommodation. If you opt for a house you may be in with second years, you'd have the advantage of their experience in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nirzenra

Spacious room available in Cork on Gillabbey Terrace (just behind Subway) for the upcoming academic year. €80 a week before bills. Microwave, oven, washing machine and dryer. House wired up for UPC TV and Broadband also. Refuse included in rent. Three other 2nd year students in the house. If interested, contact by pm.

nirzenra wrote: »
    Spacious room available in Cork on Gillabbey Terrace (just behind Subway) for the upcoming academic year. €80 a week before bills. Microwave, oven, washing machine and dryer. House wired up for UPC TV and Broadband also. Refuse included in rent. Three other 2nd year students in the house. If interested, contact by pm.

5 mins away from college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murphg

Heya. Just wondering if anyone knows what are my chances of getting decent accommodation in a weeks time? As I'm thinking of waiting for second round offers before I book accom in Cork.

murphg wrote: »
    Heya. Just wondering if anyone knows what are my chances of getting decent accommodation in a weeks time? As I'm thinking of waiting for second round offers before I book accom in Cork.

Decent accom in cork or else where? Cork would probably be ok to find a place (post advertising a house above) don't know about anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ADayLikeThis

I'm doing pharmacy in ucc this year and have booked farranlea before i read all the posts on here. Is it really as bad as everybody is making out? Any good experiences? Would it be easy to study there? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murphg

can anyone tell me what the brookfield houses are like? are the kitchen facilities decent? How big is the bedroom, whats in it etc. Just wondering why it's so much cheaper than the other college accom. Is it not as nice a place to live?

murphg wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what the brookfield houses are like? are the kitchen facilities decent? How big is the bedroom, whats in it etc. Just wondering why it's so much cheaper than the other college accom. Is it not as nice a place to live?

As long as all 8 people aren't in the kitchen at the same time, it's fine. You can experiment with space by moving the furniture around to make more living space and working space. Depending on if you get one of the end houses or not, they're slightly different, layout wise inside. It's a nice place to live, but if there's anything broken or not working, you've to complain A LOT to get it fixed.

I'd also advise you to bring your own mug/s as the ones already there are tiny, you can't have a proper cuppa tae when it's only 3 mouthfuls.

Brookfield isn't too far off the prices of the other accommodation afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

I'm doing pharmacy in ucc this year and have booked farranlea before i read all the posts on here. Is it really as bad as everybody is making out? Any good experiences? Would it be easy to study there? Thanks!

wow your going there i thought i was the only one on here :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

S'appnin folks,

I'm planning on heading up to Cark around September 17th ish but now I'm thinking it'll be too late.

Looking at daft though there seems to be a lot of places still available in Cork for reasonable enough.

What do y'all think? Should I take my chances and wait it out or will I be screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Hi,

Does anyone have a place that needs three more people, 2nd years, in the Wilton Rd / Magazine Rd area?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 cookiecake

Aoi wrote: »
    Student accommodation with other first years. Avoid Abbey Wharf on Washington street, as far as I know it's mostly post grad students. A house is cheaper but most first years go to student accommodation. If you opt for a house you may be in with second years, you'd have the advantage of their experience in college.

Thats untrue. In abbey whaf 90% are undergraduates in washinsgton street

cookiecake wrote: »
    Thats untrue. In abbey whaf 90% are undergraduates in washinsgton street

my mistake, a friend of mine (1st year) was put in with 3 post grads, so i assumed that if they had undergrads, he'd have been put in with then. Logic fail i suppose >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

I have a general accomodation question. Before you move into the house would you expect it to be clean? Just got the keys to my place and went into it only to see the place left in a state after the previous tenants........

I viewed the place in July and it was like that but asumed it would have been cleaned up before we moved in...........

Opics wrote: »
    I have a general accomodation question. Before you move into the house would you expect it to be clean? Just got the keys to my place and went into it only to see the place left in a state after the previous tenants........

I viewed the place in July and it was like that but asumed it would have been cleaned up before we moved in...........

It should be ready to move into, ie clean. You're expected to leave it the same way you found it. Put in a complaint to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Hi,

Does anyone have a place that needs three more people, 2nd years, in the Wilton Rd / Magazine Rd area?

Thanks

I know of 2 different 3 people gafs and a house where 2 out of 5 have moved in.
    1 is an appartment on magazine road, another is a house on Greenmount Avenue (near Lennoxs) and the third is a house on Croaghtamore Square. (off Glasheen Road near Centra where Magazine and Glasheen meet)

Let me know if you're still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Right, anyone looking for accomodation the following is available:

Magazine Road:

3 Bedroom Appartment, broadband included €65 p/week
    2 Bedroom Appartment, broadband included €65 p/week

Both are a 1-2 minute stroll to college.

Greenmount Avenue (1 min from Lennoxs, 5-10 minute stroll from college)
    3 Bedroom House, €65 p/week (broadband not included in price)

Croaghtamore Square: 3 rooms left of 5 bedroom house, €75 p/week. (so could rent out a room to a single person)

PM me or reply for more details or to arrange a viewing if you're interested.

Aoi wrote: »
    It should be ready to move into, ie clean. You're expected to leave it the same way you found it. Put in a complaint to the landlord.

Cheers.

Anyone know the cheapest (and reliable) refuse collection company in cork? I used Greenstar last year and was just wondering if there's anything cheaper out there

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

Opics wrote: »
    Cheers.

Anyone know the cheapest (and reliable) refuse collection company in cork? I used Greenstar last year and was just wondering if there's anything cheaper out there

I'm pretty sure Country Clean is cheaper. It's 25 euro a month and you get 240 ltr waste bin, recycling bin and glass bottles. So that suits a 5-6 person house. If you pay your 9 months upfront you get a month worth 25 euro free. My friends and I are using Country Clean this year. There's five of us so it's working out as 40 euro for the whole year. Pretty darn good!

Exuberant wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Country Clean is cheaper. It's 25 euro a month and you get 240 ltr waste bin, recycling bin and glass bottles. So that suits a 5-6 person house. If you pay your 9 months upfront you get a month worth 25 euro free. My friends and I are using Country Clean this year. There's five of us so it's working out as 40 euro for the whole year. Pretty darn good!

Yeah I ended up with country clean. The landload had Greenstar already sorted for us last year (included in the rent) so I was unsure what offers were out there.

In the terms & conditions it mentions a cost at the end of the period with them? Do you know anything about this? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sports-girl93

Is any one else in the village havin trouble lookin at there timetables nd logging into portal?? Mine both seem to be blocked? Ny help would be greatly apprecated!!

Advertisement