Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Brookfield certainly isn't the best inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Ive heard nothing but good things about Victoria Mills, but I think the applications have to be in the next 3 weeks according to some people in the lift today, it was definatley booked out by March last year

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

victoria mills is great if you can afford it, broadband in all the rooms, everyone usually shares theres stuff on the network, and the rooms are big (the beds are tiny though). Only problems is that its expensive, bit of a stroll from ucc and town and you have to pay rent up front in two in september and december. also the waiting list is pretty long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Does anyone know anything about the Leeside Apartments? They seem perfect for me, but I'd like to hear someone's opinion. They look a bit horrible on the inside, but fairly big. Does anyone know what the bedrooms are like, what size etc.? There aren't really any pictures on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really. brookfield however is right next to the nursing buildin ;) though still a good ten minute walk from main collage campus too though if your walking fast.inside though not the greatest and management are very strict so i hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Rozie wrote:
    Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).
    Theres a bus station right outside Farranlea, and its a 15 minute walk to UCC..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

Brookfield is a total dump hole. Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

chuci wrote:
    victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really.

Deans Hall is awful from what I've seen. Overzealous security guards, paper thin walls and generally not very nice. Prices sound extortionate although it is right next to UCC. I hear it costs €6 for one washload to which sounds a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

I heard Victoria Mills were playing games with the internet access (blocking certain content, P2P and so on)...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's almost standard practice for any complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sensei28

On accomodation, please tell everyone you know to avoid Victoria Station. I know an email was sent to all ucc students by one of the residents but some people seen to think that just one person has a gripe with the accomodation. This is not true.

The vast majority of apartments have serious problems with damp, particularly the apartments on the top floor. As time goes by this will spread down to all floors of the building. This is due to poor ventilation and bad building work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "the way the building is used" as suggested by the management company. Many of the rooms which are damp, have mould in them.

Parking is costing €950 for 9 months and the spaces provided for students are actually owned by businesses in the area.

Both the washing machine (singular) and the dryers cost €1 for every 15 mins use. Most cycles are at least 1h 30 mins for a decent wash and a good 1hr is needed in the dryer. So its cost at least €10 to wash clothes and all machines are set to lock at the end of the cycle so you need to put in an extra €1 to unlock them and get back out your clothes.

The walls are paper thin, the front doors could be pushed in by a 2 year old. There is no security provided, contrary to advertisement.

This year they are charging €4,400 and next year they want a staggering €5,300 for the 9 months. The staff in the management company are rude and very unhelpful and regularly resort to bad language and aggressive behaviour when anyone raises any issues in relation to the apartment.

I could actually go on and on but simply request that you tell all your friends to avoid this complex and other complexes being built by this company. I for one certainly wouldnt want anyone to have to put up with this next year.

PS: I am not a first year but this company seems to target 1st years. Pass the word around and beware.

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm looking for a place as well (don't mind where it is tbh) but I'm going to guess looking when my exams are finished at the end of the month is going to be too late?

Just looking at the accommodation on the UCC website, it looks like there are very few vacancies.

Anyone know how much Brookfield costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K_Lofty

Any one intrested in student accommodation at Edenhall@thevillage Model Farm road should contact me at [email protected]. The appartment is for a first year male student and is very close to Bishops Town CIT complex with good bus links to the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Does anyone know anything about "The Village" accommodation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Vic Mills currently still have vacancies, not many, so hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hingisfan08!

Does anyone who has stayed in farranlea hall know if a cable is needed to get broadband or is it provided or whats the story? Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Does anyone know anything about "The Village" accommodation???

Yeh, its a dump
    Like a hostel from the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Anybody have anything to say about farranlea?? I see it hasnt been mentioned yet! I dont know if thats a Good or bad thing??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Anybody have anything to say about farranlea?? I see it hasnt been mentioned yet! I dont know if thats a Good or bad thing??:confused:

one lad i know is in there, says its pretty cool.
    and right beside the mardyke i think?
    no excuse to be unfit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zed159

Haha, I'm that "one lad" Johnny-Fatality mentioned. Ya Farranlea is pretty good. It's got everything you need. All bills are included in the fee and there's broadband in every room. The hallways are carpeted which may seem like an insignificant detail, but I was at a party in Victoria Lodge on thursday night and on my way back from my beer run I honestly thought I was in a hospital.

The one bad thing I have to say about Farranlea is the chairs and couches. They are those horrible ones with wooden arms, no good for when somebody needs to crash. The seats in Vic Lodge are much more comfortable. But I was told by people that Farranlea is supposed to be party central during the year, especially Block A (where I'm situated).

In response to Hingisfan08!'s question, no, Broadband cable's are not provided. I arrived down last thursday having made that mistake. dragged my laptop down for nothing. Bought a cable yesterday though. Not incredibly expensive, about 20-30 euro.

Hope that was helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hingisfan08!

Zed159 wrote: »
    Haha, I'm that "one lad" Johnny-Fatality mentioned. Ya Farranlea is pretty good. It's got everything you need. All bills are included in the fee and there's broadband in every room. The hallways are carpeted which may seem like an insignificant detail, but I was at a party in Victoria Lodge on thursday night and on my way back from my beer run I honestly thought I was in a hospital.

The one bad thing I have to say about Farranlea is the chairs and couches. They are those horrible ones with wooden arms, no good for when somebody needs to crash. The seats in Vic Lodge are much more comfortable. But I was told by people that Farranlea is supposed to be party central during the year, especially Block A (where I'm situat
    In response to Hingisfan08!'s question, no, Broadband cable's are not provided. I arrived down last thursday having made that mistake. dragged my laptop down for nothing. Bought a cable yesterday though. Not incredibly expensive, about 20-30 euro.
    Hope that was helpful!

Yeah that was helpful! Thanks! :) where did you buy the cable??

I'm in block a too! Wanted a 4 bed apartment but got a 3 bed one! What about yourself? Have your room mates moved in yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

spires is excellent I think anyway great location, lennox's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

im hopefully coming to ucc next year and was wondering what the price range is for an apartment where i have my own room and broadband ??? good to start lookin early rite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mallox wrote: »
    im hopefully coming to ucc next year and was wondering what the price range is for an apartment where i have my own room and broadband ??? good to start lookin early rite :D

Victoria Mills is around 5500 for the year.

It's a good place to live imo.

Every room is en suite, broadband etc. Management are dead on. Parties all over the shop. I'd recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

5500 is a bit high .. anyhting more around 4000 to 4500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mallox wrote: »
    5500 is a bit high .. anyhting more around 4000 to 4500

A house.

Advertisement