Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunsany G P 12/05/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭wav1

Update
    Prizes
    A3/Jun race prizes for first 8 plus 3 x u/p Juniors

A4 Race first 6 [non monetary prizes]

Womans race first 6 [non monetary prizes ]

Judging by phone calls etc,its looking like great fields.Alls good to go so see ye tomorrow folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just wondering. What are the chances of the race actually starting at 11? Could it be 20 past or half past?
    I've to be somewhere else in the afternoon and the timing is tight :(

fat bloke wrote: »
    Just wondering. What are the chances of the race actually starting at 11? Could it be 20 past or half past?
    I've to be somewhere else in the afternoon and the timing is tight :(
    11 it is.Have to be out of the GAA club pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Any non-monetary prizes for A3s? I would really love to try for a trophy/glasswork etc. I'd rather that than money, if I'm frank about it! Dunno how everyone else feels.

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Any non-monetary prizes for A3s? I would really love to try for a trophy/glasswork etc. I'd rather that than money, if I'm frank about it! Dunno how everyone else feels.
    Sorry mate,but just envelopes for the A3s but yours is an interesting take on prizes.My own opinion,especially in the A1/A2 cats,is if you gave them a piece of glass etc you'd be likely to get it smashed over your head,but I could be totally wrong here and its a good debate going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Not gonna make this. Crap. Shoulder is still sore after last weekends crash. Cant really get in the drops or hoods or stand. :(Physio booked for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

lennymc wrote: »
    Not gonna make this. Crap. Shoulder is still sore after last weekends crash. Cant really get in the drops or hoods or stand. :(Physio booked for next week.

Sorry to hear that... Get Well Soon!

Turns Turns out I will be there but helping out with the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

wav1 wrote: »
    Sorry mate,but just envelopes for the A3s but yours is an interesting take on prizes.My own opinion,especially in the A1/A2 cats,is if you gave them a piece of glass etc you'd be likely to get it smashed over your head,but I could be totally wrong here and its a good debate going forward.

I still have my (A4) Dunsany GP trophy from last year sitting on my desk. It looks a little small compared to the Gorey one, but it's still got a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

buffalo wrote: »
    I still have my (A4) Dunsany GP trophy from last year sitting on my desk. It looks a little small compared to the Gorey one, but it's still got a spot!

My A3Dunsany GP envelope is long gone, I would have loved a little trophy to bring back.
    Those nasty head smashing A1's will be in Wickla!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i was hopeing to finish of my mad week by rideing this but the body is not haveing it. All the best wav we will have i pint next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

First dip of the toe in the A4 waters, dropped after 1 complete lap, pulled off, went home. Engine was more than comfortable with the pace, no race miles in the legs year to date and it showed, yoyoing of the pace and off the corners too much for them. Plenty to build on going forwards mind, only started this cycle Season in April due to work, and did nothing over the winter.

Nice course, well organised.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53749963

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Slept it!

Did I hear that one of the mini-WAVs got the win in A3, 3 wins on the trot!!?

Looking forward to hearing a report or 2 from the A4 race...please!

Ciaran Campbell won the a3, Caroline Ryan won the ladies. Dunno who got the a4

Ciaran Campbell won the a3, Caroline Ryan won the ladies. Dunno who got the a4

David Halpin of Orwell Wheelers. Following on from a certain other Orwell rider winning the inaugural A4 edition last year, that's two in a row for the club!

Great race. Rode out, wettish, legs not great. Changed to spare socks and overshoes at sign-on, eyeing up the A4/women's trophies enviously. Nice to finally meet wav1 too, well done on a well-run race!

Wasn't sure about the legs after two weeks off the bike. Managed 2*30km on Thursday, but hadn't done anything else since the crash. Tested the legs a couple of times on lap one, but kept getting brought back. Wind was a tough foe as well.

Sat in a lot, made another go on lap two to bridge to a two-man break, but couldn't manage it. Last lap the legs felt empty, but knew the finish would suit me, so hung on. Was trying to stay on the left-hand side of the road, but the right-hand side of the bunch, but without a white line on the closing stretch it was guesswork and best efforts.

Hit the final corner a bit further back than I would've liked, but I was afraid of coming down in the wet. Was maybe 15th rider at the bottom of the ramp, pushed past a good few to get a prize. Happy with that for the comeback ride!

Just enough points to earn my upgrade too. Little bit sad to go out without an outright win (and not soon enough to do the Shay Elliot), but guess I get to play with the big boys now! yay! :cool:

Thanks to wav1 and the crew for putting on today, and congrats on getting in the prizes - hopefully it'll be a good day at home. :) Pity about the wet, but considering the dearth of Leinster races at the moment, I wouldn't have missed it for the world! I'll be in Donegal for the bank holiday, but best of luck with the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Big thanks to Wav1 for the organisation, very well run race, and a tip of the hat to Ciaran for making it 3 out of 3, no doubt there'd be a 4 out of 4 on the cards for him if there was a race next weekend! I'm told he looked like he was on a motorbike going up the drag!

Well done on the the upgrade buffalo, good to see you back out racing again :)

Rode over to do the A3 race myself, tried to jump a few times and made a few bridges across to other breaks, but everything was shut down in a matter of seconds, seemed to be the story for the day. I missed the more successful break in the last lap, but I had a club mate up the road and the pace had eased considerably, so was happy to sit in for most of the lap. Moved to the front to try and disrupt any attempted chases but by the time I got there the gap had narrowed considerably. Rolled back into the bunch and prepared for one last throw of the dice coming up the run in to the finish now that the bunch was back together. With the bunch spanning the road there was no hope of moving up, and just as lads did start to move up, the LCRC rider in front of me clipped the wheel in front of him and somersaulted into the ditch. Nerves gone, I settled for finishing safely in the bunch.

I met Colm_gti and found my new maximum heart rate... Successful day! (Visit Nenagh chap Colm). Fun race. Congrats on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I met Colm_gti and found my new maximum heart rate... Successful day! (Visit Nenagh chap Colm). Fun race. Congrats on it.

Aaaahhhh so that was you?! You were flying it, well done!

colm_gti wrote: »
    Aaaahhhh so that was you?! You were flying it, well done!

Yup, I would've explained but I didn't really have a chance and my boards name is awkward. Kevin is the name. Cheers for the advice. Good common sense is what was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great event/promotion/race once again by Wav1, Drogheda Wheelers and assorted friends.

Super sense of speed blasting down the big road with a tailwind making you feel like a hero and then a bit of a cross wind lining it out just like they get on the telly.

My friend came out for his first race and had a blast, so compliments to all concerned, including his fellow racers.

Delighted for young Wav (Wav 0.5?) on the win.

I was sure, soooo sure, that that last break of 5 would stay clear, we were mostly working well together but suffered a bit into the final headwind. I didn't give a fiddlers about winning, points are points but sadly we were swallowed up with a km to go, also just like the telly:)
    Still, always fun to try!

Thanks to all who came today,both to compete and to help.About 5 or 6 clubs helping out today.A really combined effort from grassroots crew who just love the sport.Sad to see how the calender has panned out for the next few weeks but I hope to address that somewhat in the next few days.Watch this space.Delighted for Ciaran and Daragh in the pots again after a tough family week.Now im in ras duty next week and i cant wait.Packing the bags for the 36th time.Honestly still as in love with this sport as when i was 16.See ye all soon and thanks again.Great to see buffalo back in the saddle and achieving the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great race set up and a great circuit. Nice and safe. My first A3 race of the year and a good bunch it was. Good clean riding. Well, for what I saw of it. Punctured out in the second lap. Just when I was beginning to warm up too, after a hounds-of-hell start.

I tell ya, I've often had lads query my carrying of a pump and tube for races. -I was frickin' glad of 'em today. 'Twould've been a long walk back to Dunsaney for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

My first outing in A3, the slight increase in pace was manageable but unfortunately I punctured out on the second lap. I guess the measure of a good event is that I can't think of anything to complain about!

Weather wasn't great but in the heat of battle a few drops of rain is the last thing you think of! Speed on the main road was savage, think I clocked 68kmph, great buzz!

Thanks to all the organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Please somebody else tell me that today was fast.

Peterx wrote: »
    I was sure, soooo sure, that that last break of 5 would stay clear, we were mostly working well together but suffered a bit into the final headwind. I didn't give a fiddlers about winning, points are points but sadly we were swallowed up with a km to go, also just like the telly:)
    Still, always fun to try!

My breakaway buddy. Glad you had fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Speaking of motorbikes....

I stood at the side of the finish and was impressed with the winner's finishing kick; well done indeed, yet another Junior lad on the up. I enjoyed the race, or at least the bit I did. I was recovering from an injury and took this race as a chance to get going again - so just 3 laps for me and an early bath. 42kmh+ on lap one and it didn't relent a whole lot after that but I was happy enough. A really well-run race and well done to Wav1 and his merry men (and women - and children too!!). I have some video footage of the finish but I'm having trouble posting it but it is quite impressive to watch.

I'm cycling 5 years and first year in A3 - for those more experienced riders, is it worth asking if the standard at cat.3 was always this good? I think the racing is fantastic - good, hard, fast competitive stuff and little sandbagging or dangerous riding from what I can see.

sheepfield wrote: »
    Speaking of motorbikes....

I stood at the side of the finish and was impressed with the winner's finishing kick; well done indeed, yet another Junior lad on the up. I enjoyed the race, or at least the bit I did. I was recovering from an injury and took this race as a chance to get going again - so just 3 laps for me and an early bath. 42kmh+ on lap one and it didn't relent a whole lot after that but I was happy enough. A really well-run race and well done to Wav1 and his merry men (and women - and children too!!). I have some video footage of the finish but I'm having trouble posting it but it is quite impressive to watch.

I'm cycling 5 years and first year in A3 - for those more experienced riders, is it worth asking if the standard at cat.3 was always this good? I think the racing is fantastic - good, hard, fast competitive stuff and little sandbagging or dangerous riding from what I can see.
    Would love to see that footage when you get it up.Also anyone any pics anyone?

I was driving the commissaire in the ladies race, and ill tell ye what. its a lot easier in the car than on the bike!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

I was driving the commissaire in the ladies race, and ill tell ye what. its a lot easier in the car than on the bike!! :)

How d'you know how hard it is in the ladies race!!? Dressing up in cycling drag again Lenny? I was looking for you yesterday but couldn't find you...hope the shoulder improves. Consider a doctor as well as physio...you may need more than a rub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement