Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would you want to be a A2

Options
  • 03-03-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Considering that you only need 15 points to upgrade to an A2, and considering that most A2s and A3s are working and have familys etc why would you want to. Put this in context Ryan Serlock who is a pro was doing the navan race. Also I'm a A3 and last year I signed up to do the Swords GP only to find it was handicaped with the A1's and A2's and get this Pro's i.e. An Posts Ronan. Does something need to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

not sane wrote: »
    Considering that you only need 15 points to upgrade to an A2, and considering that most A2s and A3s are working and have familys etc why would you want to. Put this in context Ryan Serlock who is a pro was doing the navan race. Also I'm a A3 and last year I signed up to do the Swords GP only to find it was handicaped with the A1's and A2's and get this Pro's i.e. An Posts Ronan. Does something need to be done?

Yes, something does need to be done. You need to train harder and stop whining on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Oh f'''k is that you Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sure why would you want to be an A3? Sometimes you don't win all the races...

The whole point of racing is to challenge yourself. No point if it's always easy. Being in a race with professionals would be attractive for me - see if I can hang on to their wheel, get some speed training. And there's a few A2 only races, and even some A2/A3 events.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why wouldn't you want to be an A2? That's my take. If I was good enough, I'd want to be racing against the best. And you get to do the Rás.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Sorry should have said I'm 40+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I think I read somewhere that there was a Rás debutant aged 47 last year. No more excuses, not sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Why wouldn't you want to be an A2? That's my take. If I was good enough, I'd want to be racing against the best. And you get to do the Rás.

+1

I'd say it's the best cat for a serious amateur racer to be in. It's the lowest cat that is allowed to race in the Ras and it's the highest cat that is allowed to race in the Gorey 3 day (or at least that's how I understand it).

And in the case of Ryan, I'd love to meet him in a race even if for the sake of seeing the difference in ability right there in front of me. Since some of his training incorporates places where I'm doing most of my training the only comparison I have (sort of) is Strava. As for hanging on to his wheel, I'd need to have a few tons or more of some serious HTFU to even attempt that but it would be good fun trying anyway :D.

That's what racing for me is about, just to go out and try my best, to see what my body can handle. Trying various tactics and seeing what works and what doesn't. Sometimes I'm quite surprised at what punishment a human can absorb and still be walking the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

why? because it would mean that i would be reasonably fit..... which im not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I wouldn't mind doing an A2 race, yeah I'd get hammered; but keeping a constant high tempo with everyone working would be a lot better than the little or no work in the A3 bunch. Though only new to A3 and still relatively new to open racing I found there were opportunities early on in Monasterevin to get something going but to no avail! No one prepared to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

i raced mostly as A2 - ok a few so called 'pros' and full timers hang around for soft pots - so you should use the early season races to get stronger and race fit, do the RM and Ras, then in summer there are plenty of A2/A3 races when the A3's will look at you saying - "not fair racing against these lads" - keep had down @not sane, u will have ur day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

not sane wrote: »

Cycling is hard. MTFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 joe50

so you can complain about how dangerous the racing is in the a3 bunch

Advertisement