Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today I'm sipping a bottle of Guinnes Extra while watching the football on the couch.

Currently €7.49 for a sixer of 330ml bottles in Dunnes and you can't really turn your nose up at it at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Tried Abbot ale for the first time at the weekend. Very nice, would recommend it to any ale drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

This week's tipples:

Rogue Brutal IPA (draft) - not as hoppy as I was expecting from an American IPA. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

St Austell Proper Job - Nice beer, inoffensive. Claims to be an intensely hopped IPA, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure I'd agree. There's a nice bit of malt to it, but falls short on the hop hit. Fullers Bengal Lancer is a better example of the style I think.

Goose Island IPA - only the second time for me to try this stalwart, the first time being a couple of years ago when I first started into craft beer and I just didn't have a taste for well-hopped ales, didn't really like it and probably ignored it ever since. But what a difference an adjusted palate makes, and what a beer! Love the pine-sappy & marmalade flavours,nicely balanced malt and so drinkable. A benchmark US-style IPA.

Nogne O Sunturnbrew (draft) - where to start with this one? Billed as a smoked barleywine but it's not like any barleywine I've ever had. Big iodine and burnt rubber aromas from it. Pretty complex, some black cherry flavours that remind me of Paradox Jura, and also faintly medicinal in the mould of a Belgian dark ale or Chimay Blue. It's certainly interesting, I'm still trying to figure out what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Had a bottle of Trouble Brewing Dark Arts last night

Perfectly fine drink but nowhere near as much taste as Leann Follain. I've satisfied my curiosity there I think

Also had a bottle of Bitter & Twisted which was gorgeous as always

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tonight I'm trying a Bah Humbug by Wychwood :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Have a White Gypsy Imperial Stout for later. Looking forward to trying it

Fullers London Porter

It's a crying shame I only bought the one, its bloody gorgeous

The White Gypsy was tasty without being fantastic. Overall I was a little disappointed but I may have built it up a bit too much. I have another bottle that I'll try a different night.

Now having a Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti and it's very very nice. Sweet fruit (plum) flavours, with a nice malty and chocolate overturns, followed by a spicy finish. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

matrim wrote: »
    The White Gypsy was tasty without being fantastic. Overall I was a little disappointed but I may have built it up a bit too much. I have another bottle that I'll try a different night..
    I wasn't that impressed with it either. I thought there was a strange iodiney fishy taste off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Fullers London Porter

It's a crying shame I only bought the one, its bloody gorgeous

Where did you pick that up? I'm a huge fan of Pride, would love to try that.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

Most Tescos have it now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I wasn't that impressed with it either. I thought there was a strange iodiney fishy taste off it.

Doesn't sound good. I have one sitting in the rack for later this weekend. :(

keano_afc wrote: »

Sweeney's in Glasnevin. No idea if that suits you though!

Most Tescos have it now

London Porter?

Is it on the 5 for €10?

London Porter?

Is it on the 5 for €10?

Tis, aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had dinner at The Brew Dock today. Started with a Punk IPA from a cask which was really nice, nicer then a bottle.

Then had a Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA, which I never had before. Tasted fantastic, like a liquid digestive biscuit.

Followed that with a Metalmans Pale Ale equally as nice as the Punk IPA.

Finished with a Galway Bay Pale Ale. Which once again was very tasty.

Really enjoyable evening. Food was great too. Good day.

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Had dinner at The Brew Dock today. Started with a Punk IPA from a cask which was really nice, nicer then a bottle.

Then had a Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA, which I never had before. Tasted fantastic, like a liquid digestive biscuit.

Followed that with a Metalmans Pale Ale equally as nice as the Punk IPA.

Finished with a Galway Bay Pale Ale. Which once again was very tasty.

Really enjoyable evening. Food was great too. Good day.
    Punk IPA on cask? Really? I'd love to try that. Didn't think they did it on cask though?

Incidentally, all really nice beers that you tried (except for the Galway Bay, which I didn't really like), but I probably would've tried them in reverse order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Punk IPA on cask? Really? I'd love to try that. Didn't think they did it on cask though?

Yea ,their almost allergic to it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Pilsner Urquell on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Pilsner Urquell on draught.

Epic drink. Was drinking it all last night as well as Fischers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Us4vDl.jpg

Nah.... 12 bottles of for the same price

beachcomber-case-and-bottle-mock.jpg

except for the Galway Bay, which I didn't really like

Have you tried it in the last few weeks?

New brewer, the beers are totally different, and they are consistent.

I'd drink Full Sail fairly happily (and do) now. I used to think it was piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

White Gypsy American Pale Ale last night.
    I liked it a lot.

I liked the stout when I had it a couple of weeks back - thought it was more like a strong Irish dry stout rather than a Russian Imperial Stout, though.

I think the bottles look really classy!

I liked the stout when I had it a couple of weeks back - thought it was more like a strong Irish dry stout rather than a Russian Imperial Stout, though.

I think the bottled look really classy!

Kind of the impression I got but I was hoping for the fuller Imperial flavour before trying it.

Seaneh wrote: »

Have you tried it in the last few weeks?

New brewer, the beers are totally different, and they are consistent.

I'd drink Full Sail fairly happily (and do) now. I used to think it was piss.
    I haven't no, but I do remember you saying they had a new brewer on board.

I did try their Amber Ale in the Black Sheep a couple of weeks ago after unsuccessfully trying to hunt it down in Galway a few months back. I really liked it so I must give their beers another chance.

I haven't no, but I do remember you saying they had a new brewer on board.

I did try their Amber Ale in the Black Sheep a couple of weeks ago after unsuccessfully trying to hunt it down in Galway a few months back. I really liked it so I must give their beers another chance.

Yeah, they aren't world changing or anything, but they are a lot better than they were, which, to be honest, wouldn't be hard...

Most amazing thing, the red is now actually red, MADNESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Tonight, amongst other things, I shall be drinking this.

DSCN0507.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Did you get that from Brewdog's website or around Dublin KJ ? If in Dublin, how much did it cost ?

I got Brewdog's collaboration with Ballastpoint, a San Diego Scotch Ale, whisky cask aged and use of Rum soaked raisins in it. 18 euros, will report back when I drink it(seem to be battling the flu at the moment so may be a few days). Am curious if Ghost Deer is another gimmicky beer or if it tastes good/worth the no doubt extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Did you get that from Brewdog's website or around Dublin KJ ? If in Dublin, how much did it cost ?

I got Brewdog's collaboration with Ballastpoint, a San Diego Scotch Ale, whisky cask aged and use of Rum soaked raisins in it. 18 euros, will report back when I drink it(seem to be battling the flu at the moment so may be a few days). Am curious if Ghost Deer is another gimmicky beer or if it tastes good/worth the no doubt extra cost.
    Got it from the website. I would say its mostly gimmick but hopefully it has a good flavour.
    The San Diego scotch ale is very nice. I got that from the website back in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Trying a bottle or two of Trouble brewing's OR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement