Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt 'knew of deposit falsely propping up Anglo'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

T runner wrote: »
    Or perhaps the resultant collapse of Anglo for an unprepared government/banking system would have dominoed into BOI and AIB causing the collapse of the entire Irish Financial system?

Would you have thanked the government for that?
    There is a time and place to make revelations. Perhaps when the Irish Financial system is on the point of collapse was not the time.

There is a time and place to gaurantee a bank. Perhaps right after learning they are fiddling their books was not the right time. My god man, either you don't quite grasp the consequences of what FF has done in their complicity with this cover up or you choose to ignore it. I smell a blindly loyal FFer so I'll go with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dept of Finance you say? The same civil servants that will be in their jobs long after the current and many subsequent governments have been and gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can you substantiate your claim that RTE reports that the economy is rounding a corner every second day?

Try subscribing to their RSS Feed and finding out for yourself.
    Perhaps you rae exaggerating?
    Again exaggeration and speculation on your part.

Its more of an opinion than an exaggeration. You know this being a discussion forum and all that. I never claimed it was fact, I am stating my opinion which is likely all you'll find on boards.ie.

For example you disagree but you have SFA evidence that it would not be damaging to the government if RTE ran with this story.
    you dont have any substantiation for your claims of bias whatsoever.

I didn't say they were biased, I said it made them look biased which is again my opinion.

You know what an opinion is right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Amazing level of supposition there! I'm dealing in facts, while you're presuming this, that and the other.

If you say so. The world financial crises occurred. At the time in question we were on teh brink of financial collapse. Are these not facts?
    IF what you're saying is true, then why did the government act surprised when this corruption came to [public] light ?

If what im saying is true then they would act surprised.
    They've basically ensured that we can't believe a word they say.

You cant believe a work any government says--thats politics!

They say the same in the UK, Greece and France. But if a government revealed something that collapsed the financial system id have preferred if they shut up...wouldnt you?

At this stage, if Brian Cowen came on TV doing the weather forecast and said we were in for a scorcher, I'd bring a brolly and a mac.

Thats your own business i guess. The problem we all have is that the FG leader would call scorcher too should he get the power.

thebman wrote: »
    Try subscribing to their RSS Feed and finding out for yourself.

Im not the one making exagerrated claims. If you have sunscribed then you would surely have substantiated what you said. (if you werent exagerating)

Its more of an opinion than an exaggeration. You know this being a discussion forum and all that. I never claimed it was fact, I am stating my opinion which is likely all you'll find on boards.ie.

Your opinion is an exageration of the facts.
    For example you disagree but you have SFA evidence that it would not be damaging to the government if RTE ran with this story.

I never claimed it would or wouldnt. Im just claiming your opinion that RTE are in some way biased for the government is completely without substantiation.

You know what an opinion is right?

Now, now.:)

• Advertisement

There is a time and place to gaurantee a bank. Perhaps right after learning they are fiddling their books was not the right time. My god man, either you don't quite grasp the consequences of what FF has done in their complicity with this cover up or you choose to ignore it. I smell a blindly loyal FFer so I'll go with the latter.

Here we go again. If you disagree in any way with an attack on FF or the government you are a blindly loyal FFer.

My politics is none of your business: stick to the argument.

The bank guarantee averted our imminent financial collapse. Would the collapse of Anglo at that point have collapsed our Financial system?

If there is ANY doubt about that then guaranteeing ALL the banks in our interest was the correct choice at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Here we go again. If you disagree in any way with an attack on FF or the government you are a blindly loyal FFer.

Hmmmm......what should we make of you calling it "an attack" rather than a question or a fact ?

They pretended they didn't know, and used that as an excuse to justify the bailout (knowing that people would really freak if they knew a known corrupt bank was being assisted with our money) and now it appears they knew all along.

Tactics ? Maybe.

But completely unacceptable.

We need open, transparent and honest government in order to convince the country to pull together for the common good.

If someone's lying through their teeth at every single turn, then they won't achieve that.

jmayo wrote: »

Oh the boogie once again about how Anglo would bring armageddon to Ireland.
    So you have excuse for this little lapse in regulation by our regulatory authorities (IFSRA, CB and Dept of Finance).

Now any chance you can provide excuses for all the other lapses:
    • allowing Anglo to loan to it's own select customers so they could buy shares in bank and using said shares as security for the loans (keeping share price up and misleading the markets)
    • fitzpatrick moving loans to/from INBS and failure to disclose loans in company accounts,
    • INBS chief executive ignoring societies own lending rules/guidelines,
    • AIB overcharging and IFSRA ceo liam o'reilly asking AIB internal auditor Eugene McErlean to withdraw allegations
    • failure of IFSRA to clamp down and fine AIB on Nevis scam
    • NIB overcharging customers

It is a very long list so better start looking up the excuses. :rolleyes:

We are talking about the Department of Finance in a specific case. Listing out examples of where regulation failed does not have any relevance here (at-least you have not shown it).

The 2 reports open to the public today indicate that the guarantee to the Irish banks probably saved billions.

In an ideal world the government should have disclosed what it knew about Anglo. Let it fall (and the rest of the banks possibly) and atleast the self righteous brigade would be happy.

This would have been the WRONG thing to do for the Irish taxpayer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We are talking about the Department of Finance in a specific case. Listing out examples of where regulation failed does not have any relevance here (at-least you have not shown it).

The 2 reports open to the public today indicate that the guarantee to the Irish banks probably saved billions.

In an ideal world the government should have disclosed what it knew about Anglo. Let it fall (and the rest of the banks possibly) and atleast the self righteous brigade would be happy.

This would have been the WRONG thing to do for the Irish taxpayer though.

Oh but two of those examples of huge failures in regulation are directly linked to Anglo or why are you dismissing those so quickly.

And what about the billions we are now poruing down the Anglo hole ?

Again you appear so sure that it would have been WRONG to not save Anglo.

I am not being self righteous but i just don't like blowing the future of this country on bailing out failed corrupt (morally at least that we know of), fraudently run enterprises.
    But of course you and all the other NAMA/bailout supporters always cite that we must bail them out come what may.
    Funny how some economists, that have correctly called the whole situation from the start, beg to differ with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Funny how the report today by the Governor of the Central Bank, Mr Patrick Honohan, and the reports by the two international experts, Mr Klaus Regling and Mr Max Watson, are equally as scathing about Irish regulation/government actions as I and many other posters on herehave been. :rolleyes:

Also funny how there has been reference to including Anglo in full bailout, granted they claim that it would have been more costly to leave them out al together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

sorry just reading the first page of threads JMayo Your quote below

Well funny you should mention that ... the HSE wouldn't notice now would they ?

CLASSIC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listening to Eoghan Harris on Matt Coopers programme? Dear God (or other non specific deity), save us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Eoghan Harris on Matt Coopers programme? Dear God (or other non specific deity), save us all.

Yeah, one has to wonder whether to laugh or cry at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mike65 wrote: »

Didn't hear it because I've decided that life is too short to listen to bull**** and get stressed out and frustrated listening to lies and apologists.

Have you a brief summary ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, the only Golden Circle was in the banking world, no-one in FF did anything wrong, resiging is un-Irish.

Advertisement