Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt 'knew of deposit falsely propping up Anglo'

Options
  • 08-06-2010 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

"In a sworn affadavit, former Chief Executive of Irish Life and Permanent, Denis Casey now claims the Department of Finance, the Financial Regulator and the Central Bank were aware of the transactions before Anglo published their financial results in December 2008."

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/18023047/?view=Standard

If proven true can I expect jail time for those involved? Some kind of treason debacle?

To jump ahead, one party affiliation or other to be a fair person wanting the best for Ireland; can this be justified by, 'that was then this is now'? To quote Bono, 'How long can we sing this song?'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

At this stage it wouldn't be surprised to hear that the govt ate babies for breakfast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That is a very serious allegation and if it stands up then some very serious questions need to be asked to the people who are supposed to be getting us out of the financial quagmire we find ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Jail time for those involved? Are you crazy? This is Soggy Banana Republic you're living in, for Pete's sake!

We'll have a tribunal that'll cost half the price of the bailouts, last about as long as it's going to take for us to repay the debt, and everyone involved will walk away, run away or be dead by the time anything comes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

There is a lot more to come out of the closet over the coming months and years. When you think about it, Neary was paid handsomely to slink into the sunset thus avoiding the obligation to appear in front of any committees.

At the same time Anglo was nationalised, there was a gagging order put in place to protect certain information from FOI requests - this was done to "protect the customers"

There's a big smelly rat knocking around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

This allegation has to bring about the collapse of this wretched government. The papers (as well as the lacklustre opposition) need to crucify them on this. Liars and thieves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

This allegation has to bring about the collapse of this wretched government.

Wait and see, FF will probably be up in the next poll. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think nothing will come of this, even if it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wes wrote: »
    I think nothing will come of this, even if it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Indeed. People presume that because something appears "wrong" theres a law against it, which is not nessecarily the case.

This idea that the department knew more than it was letting on has sneaked out before IMO. Apparently Fitzpatrick kept tape recordings of his phonecalls (not an unusual practice) and it was hinted that these may be used at a future date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Nodin wrote: »
    Indeed. People presume that because something appears "wrong" theres a law against it, which is not nessecarily the case.

And that is the sickening escape route that has FF excusing all sorts of corruption.....and I'm not suggesting that it's your mindset, btw.

I mean, is it illegal for someone to spend money on drink while their child goes hungry ?

Not specifically*. But it's definitely wrong, and you wouldn't choose that person as their guardian/babysitter, because they've shown themselves not to be fit.....without doing anything specifically illegal.

* Acknowledgement : my specific analogy might have a small hole under some threshold of an overall "child abuse" law, but I can't currently think of a better example, so hopefully that won't dilute the point too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

O tis true. If theres no rule saying 'members must not have a conflict of interest' then they can't be done for having such.

Seeing as the Germans apparently referred to here as the 'Wild West' in terms of regulation, I think theres far less chance of charges and conviction than many seem to think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Course they knew. They were hoping that nothing like the collapse of the American banks would happen and reveal that the entire thing was built on foundations of sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't really care if they go to jail or not.

They can't get us out of a mess they knowingly put us into. If they knew the bank was rigging its books and were okay with it how can we trust them to reform regulation so it doesn't happen again?

It can't be done, the government must go now TBH. They are holding on to power by not holding byelections and now this.

Surely this is the breaking point for the Irish electorate?

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/nathguy/lgmp0296i-didnt-do-it-bart-simpson-.jpg

I just wish I was more shocked and surprised than I am.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hang on now! What was the point of the banking inquiry and the 17 month Garda investigation into anglo if the CEO of ILAP was never questioned at all!!!

I see Pravda/rte are towing the line by having nothing about this on there site!

Whitewash and cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Very odd that Casey wasn't contacted, from this IT article:
    Mr Casey said he was providing the statement as investigators have yet to contact him about the matter, despite the deposits being under investigation for 17 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Its not odd at all! Its exactly what they wanted all along! Bertie and Cowen will get a slap on the wrists from the "reports"and FF will ride out the storm until the summer recess when this will all go away.
    FF will then survive their term til 2012.

This latest revelation may scupper that plan. Its up to Fine Gael and Labour now.

skelliser wrote: »
    I see Pravda/rte are towing the line by having nothing about this on there site!

Just emailed their news desk with links to the BreakingNews.ie and IrishTimes.com stories.

Let's see how they reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

There is a law against it in my own opinion anyway. I don't see any reason why those involved could not be prosecuted for breaching their fiduciary duty to shareholders.

I think it's laughable that no-one is investigating the issue properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/18023047/?view=Standard

Neary recently claimed that he knew all about these loans too.

So if the Dept of Finance knew at the time and the Regulator knew at the time - why did they stay stum about these "loans"? (or is that a stupid question?).

The investors in IL&P and Anglo weren't aware of these loans - otherwise they would have cashed in their chips.

Talk about banana republic.

We're being seriously ****ed over folks.
    Talk about putting the saddle on.

Given RTE have not reported on this yet, it is pretty damning of their so call independance when they have published yet another article today saying the economy is recovering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Lads we are screwed, there is no two ways about it...gets more ridiculous every day that passes and yet nothing is done and nobody is held accountable.

Jesus christ apparently fiddling the expenses is a bigger crime than selling the whole country down the river to nama...

somebody turn the lights off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

What would have occurred had the government exposed these transactions at the time?

If I remember correctly everyone was extremely worried about the whole financial system collapsing at that point. What would you have done differently?

thebman wrote: »
    Given RTE have not reported on this yet, it is pretty damning of their so call independance when they have published yet another article today saying the economy is recovering.

If the economy is recovering then why not?

T runner wrote: »
    If the economy is recovering then why not?

The economy recovering is open to interpretation depending on what figures you want to use. Those are pointless articles much like statements like we have rounded a corner. Either we have or we haven't, if we have why do we keep needing to say it every other day again? Surely one is sufficient until the next statistics on the state of our economy are available.

They are posting articles like that on the economy daily yet some actually new news they can't report on which is conveniently negative toward the government. Seems suspicious given even Eircom can manage to get an article on their website about it in less time and news on their website is offered as an extra feature to their ISP service.

RTE are the national broadcaster and this news is massively damaging to our government yet they aren't reporting on it at all not even to say this person said it yet it remains to be proven? They are supposed to be unbiased, when events unfold like today and other media outlets are reporting it and they have not at all, it makes it look they are biased toward the government who provide their funding by setting the tv license fee.

What would have occurred had the government exposed these transactions at the time?

If I remember correctly everyone was extremely worried about the whole financial system collapsing at that point. What would you have done differently?

I'd have exposed those transactions and thereby laid down a marker to Ireland and Europe that corruption was not tolerated, thereby restoring faith and confidence in the banking system.

thebman wrote: »
    The economy recovering is open to interpretation depending on what figures you want to use. Those are pointless articles much like statements like we have rounded a corner. Either we have or we haven't, if we have why do we keep needing to say it every other day again? Surely one is sufficient until the next statistics on the state of our economy are available.

Can you substantiate your claim that RTE reports that the economy is rounding a corner every second day?

Perhaps you rae exaggerating?
    They are posting articles like that on the economy daily yet some actually new news they can't report on which is conveniently negative toward the government.

Again exaggeration and speculation on your part.
    RTE are the national broadcaster and this news is massively damaging to our government yet they aren't reporting on it at all not even to say this person said it yet it remains to be proven?

Who maintains it is massively damaging to the government?
    They are supposed to be unbiased, when events unfold like today and other media outlets are reporting it and they have not at all, it makes it look they are biased toward the government who provide their funding by setting the tv license fee.

you dont have any substantiation for your claims of bias whatsoever.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd have exposed those transactions and thereby laid down a marker to Ireland and Europe that corruption was not tolerated, thereby restoring faith and confidence in the banking system.

Or perhaps the resultant collapse of Anglo for an unprepared government/banking system would have dominoed into BOI and AIB causing the collapse of the entire Irish Financial system?

Would you have thanked the government for that?
    There is a time and place to make revelations. Perhaps when the Irish Financial system is on the point of collapse was not the time.

Or perhaps the resultant collapse of Anglo for an unprepared government/banking system would have dominoed into BOI and AIB causing the collapse of the entire Irish Financial system?

Amazing level of supposition there! I'm dealing in facts, while you're presuming this, that and the other.

IF what you're saying is true, then why did the government act surprised when this corruption came to [public] light ?

They've basically ensured that we can't believe a word they say.

At this stage, if Brian Cowen came on TV doing the weather forecast and said we were in for a scorcher, I'd bring a brolly and a mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    At this stage it wouldn't be surprised to hear that the govt ate babies for breakfast :p

Well funny you should mention that ... the HSE wouldn't notice now would they ?
    There is a lot more to come out of the closet over the coming months and years. When you think about it, Neary was paid handsomely to slink into the sunset thus avoiding the obligation to appear in front of any committees.

At the same time Anglo was nationalised, there was a gagging order put in place to protect certain information from FOI requests - this was done to "protect the customers"

There's a big smelly rat knocking around somewhere.

Just one ?
    I can think of a few dozen and one of them lives in Drumcondra in a house he got from a mate in Manchester.
    Nodin wrote: »
    O tis true. If theres no rule saying 'members must not have a conflict of interest' then they can't be done for having such.

Seeing as the Germans apparently referred to here as the 'Wild West' in terms of regulation, I think theres far less chance of charges and conviction than many seem to think.

The Germans had warned the Irish regulatory authorities/CB that there was some funny sh** happenign in the IFSC, the same type of funny sh** that brough down one of their banks, Hpyo Real Estate and cost the German taxpayers billions.
    Sulmac wrote: »
    Just emailed their news desk with links to the BreakingNews.ie and IrishTimes.com stories.

Let's see how they reply.

I bet that email will get stuck in the gateway and disappear. :rolleyes:
    There is a law against it in my own opinion anyway. I don't see any reason why those involved could not be prosecuted for breaching their fiduciary duty to shareholders.

I think it's laughable that no-one is investigating the issue properly.

Ever wonder why we don't have class action laws in this country ?
    If we did there would have been a lot of our connected business people and politicans in jail, starting with the likes of Mr Fyffes and now including most of our bankers.

There is a time and place to make revelations. Perhaps when the Irish Financial system is on the point of collapse was not the time.

Oh the boogie once again about how Anglo would bring armageddon to Ireland.
    So you have excuse for this little lapse in regulation by our regulatory authorities (IFSRA, CB and Dept of Finance).

Now any chance you can provide excuses for all the other lapses:
    • allowing Anglo to loan to it's own select customers so they could buy shares in bank and using said shares as security for the loans (keeping share price up and misleading the markets)
    • fitzpatrick moving loans to/from INBS and failure to disclose loans in company accounts,
    • INBS chief executive ignoring societies own lending rules/guidelines,
    • AIB overcharging and IFSRA ceo liam o'reilly asking AIB internal auditor Eugene McErlean to withdraw allegations
    • failure of IFSRA to clamp down and fine AIB on Nevis scam
    • NIB overcharging customers

It is a very long list so better start looking up the excuses. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    I bet that email will get stuck in the gateway and disappear. :rolleyes:

You're probably right - no sign of the story on the RTÉ News website and no reply back. :rolleyes:

Worth a shot, though. :P

Advertisement