Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I applied for an AIB credit card the other day. I'm going to transfer my current Credit Card balance from MBNA/Avant to the AIB card. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get the ball rolling on this? I don't actually know what's on my Avantcard since I can't register or login but is it a case of informing AIB that I wish to transfer the balance and they look after the rest or is this something I need to do myself? I just want to be prepared if I have to go through a long rigamarole with Avantcard.

Same as you, I use my CC a lot each month and I can't get a right figure on what is on it and I am going to move to Tesco now :mad:

Is there any point in contacting the financial regulator? This is shambolic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With Tesco there is no online access here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Don't forget, if you want to cancel, do it before April 1st or you'll owe another €30 Gov card tax.

Good advice. Does anyone know how we can go about cancelling the card as they are not answering the phone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

KoolKid wrote: »

But I bet they answer their phones :D

Ya, its a pi**R off in fairness, but the way that Avant are going about this is nothing short of disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faricy

I tried to use my MBNA credit card (now Avantcard) over the weekend and it was declined even though I've fully paid up my account. I tried to contact them yesterday to no avail. I tried contacting them this morning on every number listed and each time the number would ring once and an automated reply would tell me that there was no reply! I contacted the Ombudsman's office and they tell me that there is some issue going on with the Central Bank and to watch the website for more details. The minute this is resolved I am cancelling my card!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

There's no online access with Avantcard either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Mezcita wrote: »
    Good advice. Does anyone know how we can go about cancelling the card as they are not answering the phone?

Put a dated letter in the post, and keep a copy

Avant Card Ireland Ltd
    PO Box 25
    Carrick on Shannon
    Co Leitrim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are very good and efficient on the phones.
    It's just a pain having to call up for balance enquiries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Faricy wrote: »
    I contacted the Ombudsman's office and they tell me that there is some issue going on with the Central Bank and to watch the website for more details.

Which website? I'll be watching with baited breath!!

This morning, after the server came back up, I first got told by the website that I wasn't using a valid avantcard card and now I'm being told I have an activation block on my card and to call them. They're not answering the phones. They don't want me to register obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

This is ridiculous!
    Paper less banking but they still want you credit limit from your "statement".

This seems like a very bad changeover! I hope some Project Manager is getting an earful!

• Advertisement

Now if I ring all I get is "Calls may be recorded for training & quality purposes", then one single ring and then silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I had some worries when I heard that MBNA Ireland was being taken over by a Spanish outfit I had never heard of.
    It would seem that I had good reason to.
    I wonder if it's time to go back to one of our 2 "Pillars" and say sorry for being away?

They are very good and efficient on the phones.
    It's just a pain having to call up for balance enquiries etc.

Thats Tesco is it? :D

I must see what Danske are like, who I bank with.

What limits do Tesco give, I have a large limit on my card which I would require to keep.

yop wrote: »

What limits do Tesco give, I have a large limit on my card which I would require to keep.

I'm sure they are happy to match a limit if you are transferring a balance. Subject to criteria of course.

Well at least you got music, bad and all as it was.
    Just silence for me after they announce they are recording me. What's the Spanish for "Bloody Hell!"
    Maybe next time it'll be 3rd time lucky and I'll get some heavy breathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Rang them there, site will b up and running later (yea rite) there tech team are aware of the prob....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Well I registered no problem last week on the Avant website but can't make online purchases now as it says my account is blocked even though it isn't! Eventually I got through to them, the call went straight through to a customer service bod, it seems like they've turned off the automated response now. The issue for me is the 3D Secure, it won't accept my details and blocks me using the card online. Avant say it's an issue, the system is down at the moment. No flags on my account but he can't even see the 3D Secure details for any accounts on his system. it seems chaotic, the volume of calls I could hear in the background suggests they are run off their feet.

He says the system should be back up and running this afternoon.....

One thing I will say is don't take it out on the customer service people, they are very helpful when you get through and it's not their fault, this is an IT issue and it's them and senior management who have overseen this who are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Granduca57

Just been trying to get online and ring Avantcard. No access online or noone answering phones. Is there a problem ????? - just wondering if they've been hacked or something. When an organisation like this goes silent you have to wonder what problem is ????????

We will see.
    No point in abusing the CS in fairness, they are only the messenger.
    Though when I worked for a large corporate on the phones when I came out of college, a woman turned up at reception looking for me, and it wasn't to sit on my face and tell me she loved me either :D

• Advertisement

Granduca57 wrote: »
    Just been trying to get online and ring Avantcard. No access online or noone answering phones. Is there a problem ????? - just wondering if they've been hacked or something. When an organisation like this goes silent you have to wonder what problem is ????????

The problem is communication. You can tell that there wasn't enough communication in handing over the service, and there certainly hasn't been since it was taken over.

In a case like this where the phones are down they should be updating the website every few hours with info on what people can and can't access. No point in attacking the customer service lads, not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

has anybody got an email contact...........the marketing manager would be especially good to get hold of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

...And the story continues. It now appears I have a block on the card so I can't register it. I've been putting off contacting them due to the long delays in getting through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Just set up my online access on Avant and had no problems. Was I just lucky? They have an extra security question for logging in - an 8 character "Memorable word" and they ask you for 4 letters of the word each time you log in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

yop wrote: »

I've had an MBNA for years visa and have built up a large limit, a couple of years ago I was going to get a Tescos visa because they were offering a better deal. I applied and they offered me a limit of €1000. I told them cancel my application. YMMV.

I've just sent letters to Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim and Kilrush, Co. Clare cancelling my card....this is total bulls%%t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

FYI: I just got through to Avant to cancel the card. Took me 15mins of music waiting, and the cancellation department are currently swamped, but they've assured me it will be closed today and they'll ring me back to confirm.

For cancellations you have to ring: 0818 409 513.
    For anything else it's the usual MBNA number: 0818 409 511

Remember to get the persons name and make sure they ring you back to confirm anything not done there and then.
    They can't email you with written verification, I asked. Seemingly their email system is not set up yet. LMAO!!

Hhmm, time to shop around for a new card. Tescos anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

Faricy wrote: »
    I've just sent letters to Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim and Kilrush, Co. Clare cancelling my card....this is total bulls%%t!

From Avant website Q & A: To close your account your account balance needs to be paid in full (including any possible unposted or pending transaction’s). Once the final payment has cleared on your account and the account has a zero balance you can call the Customer Loyalty Dept on 0818 409 513 – Open 9 - 5 on business days, or write to us at: Customer Loyalty Dept, AvantCard, Dublin Rd, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim requesting to close the account. Please also be aware of the 30 euro Government Stamp Duty liable upon closure of the account and also to allow for any possible Residual Retail Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

Interesting to see if this phone number is operating at a better pace than their customer services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Just wondering, is it ok to lodge money using my MBNA credit card since I bought some items online a couple of weeks ago? I tried using my credit card online last week but it didn't work (apparently it was 'blocked'). If I went to An Post and lodged money to my MBNA card would their system know if the card was working or not? I haven't been able to register on AvantCard's website yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Don't forget, you have to already have your credit completely paid and a balance of +€30 before you can close the card.

• Advertisement

The common thread in all that mail was that you didn't have to do anything, everything would be grand, yeh right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

robo wrote: »
    Just set up my online access on Avant and had no problems. Was I just lucky? They have an extra security question for logging in - an 8 character "Memorable word" and they ask you for 4 letters of the word each time you log in.

Yep just lucky, they told me due to the high volume there website is slow to react / register im waiting a week

Try phoning them on 0818409511, they will accept payment from Debit Card over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

I do not understand how a large company like this has not simply requested some extra dedicated servers to be put onto the site hosting. It is realllly easy to do and would reduce the work load. I mean come on they know that all the customers would wanna get on their site in the first few days of change over so why did they not just pay for a few extra servers this month.
    Oh crap sorry, just realised that would have been sensible...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

no email/ online form in their contact details...........in 2013 that is just nuts!

I've contacted PTSB and applied for their visa, they said that the 30 gov fee would only be charged once even if I change after the April 1 date.

What is the 30e fee to close the account about? Never heard of it before....I only have a credit card, not full banking with MBNA, will it still be charged when I cancel my credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

carolmon wrote: »
    no email/ online form in their contact details...........in 2013 that is just nuts!

I've contacted PTSB and applied for their visa, they said that the 30 gov fee would only be charged once even if I change after the April 1 date.

What is the 30e fee to close the account about? Never heard of it before....I only have a credit card, not full banking with MBNA, will it still be charged when I cancel my credit card?

The €30 is an annual stamp duty charge that applies to credit card accounts- the government gets it, not the CC company. Even if you close your account mid year, it still has to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Basically, clear your account in full and put it about €35 into credit then request to close it. You'll definitely get a cheque back for any credit balance but it saves a hell of a lot of hassle with minor fees / charges that might be outstanding.

Also make sure you've cancelled any recurring payments like Netflix etc etc they can suddenly charge just at the wrong time and result in your card rolling on for another month.

My AvantCard online banking is working but this is definitely a total fiasco of a change over. Although, nothing about the financial services industry would surprise me anymore.

This is still a very minor inconvenience compared to the ulster bank IT "meltdown"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, so I paid my MBNA bill as normal on friday via bank transfer, each time i pay on a friday it it paid on tuesday, just checked on my AdvantCard site there, nothing received, I am guessing they are slower at receiving money???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bermieblowin

Quick question guys.

I am currently living abroad and don't have the physical MBNA card anymore (wallet was stolen). Anyway, I don't know my 16 digit number so have no way of registering.
    All I am concerned with doing is paying the balance due, which I do monthly using Billpay.ie.
    When I log in to Billpay i notice that the avatar has now changed to AvantCard. If I continue to make payments to the mandate set up in Billpay.ie will it pay off my balance or just bounce back?

Naturally I would call customer service and try and get an answer however whenever I call i am on hold for an eternity and have to hang up!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quick question guys.

I am currently living abroad and don't have the physical MBNA card anymore (wallet was stolen). Anyway, I don't know my 16 digit number so have no way of registering.
    All I am concerned with doing is paying the balance due, which I do monthly using Billpay.ie.
    When I log in to Billpay i notice that the avatar has now changed to AvantCard. If I continue to make payments to the mandate set up in Billpay.ie will it pay off my balance or just bounce back?

Naturally I would call customer service and try and get an answer however whenever I call i am on hold for an eternity and have to hang up!

Thanks

should just pay off the balance, there is a slight delay in receipt of payments but mine have gone through thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just got a mail back from EBS saying they will have the option to pay advantcard at the end of the week. Now if I can only get a timely responce from advantcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i sent a payment from my aib online banking to avantcard last friday (same details i used to pay mbna). the amount left to spend on my avant card has increased by that amount today but the actual payment is still not showing up...so they've obviously got it but it's not in the transactions yet...hopefully tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I don't have a mbna card anymore, destroyed it over a yr ago. I just make monthly payments now trying to pay off the balance. How am I supposed to register on their site if I don't own a card. They're asking for the last 3 digits of my card.

Can I just keep paying it off through the Aib online banking or do I need to register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I don't have a mbna card anymore, destroyed it over a yr ago. I just make monthly payments now trying to pay off the balance. How am I supposed to register on their site if I don't own a card. They're asking for the last 3 digits of my card.

Can I just keep paying it off through the Aib online banking or do I need to register.

I'm in the same situation, they told me I will never be able to register online as I don't have a card, they said I can ring up and pay by phone each month, in the post office or through my own bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have any old statement pdf s saved on your computer, they have the card number on them, but not the ccv code etc.

Galadriel wrote: »

I'm in the same situation, they told me I will never be able to register online as I don't have a card, they said I can ring up and pay by phone each month, in the post office or through my own bank.

That's fcuking crazy. Do we just use the same details as before to pay? Like what I already have set up on Aib online banking.

I wonder can we get a paper statement each month?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have any old statement pdf s saved on your computer, they have the card number on them, but not the ccv code etc.

I have the card number form an old statement. I just don't have the card to get the ccv code. That's why we can't register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's fcuking crazy. Do we just use the same details as before to pay? Like what I already have set up on Aib online banking.

I wonder can we get a paper statement each month?

For about the 8th time on this thread, yes. The details haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 seller567

I've just got through on the phone. Wait time was 4 minutes 10 seconds. Lady asked how long was the wait time and was able to read out all my transactions for the past month. I'm able to log in aswell but the transactions are not there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Stato

Cant get through to Avant helpdesk by phone despite numerous attempts so hopefully some boardsies can help answer my question. Just want to know can I continue to use my existing MBNA issued card which does not expire for a few months until Avant get their act together?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement