Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Jeans forecast was a joke and very inaccurate.

1 she said showers be of snow mainly at night by day rain sleet.

No Jean all charts support snow to all levels

2 she said it will be cold

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

If you agree please like my post

Spot on for my location so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

samiboy wrote: »
    You wouldn't be long getting frost bit

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

Tuesday was Three days away, It shouldn't surprise you that she didn't mention it. Snow to all levels, now you shouldn't believe everything you see . The charts promised the moon and stars to us in Donegal last week, right up to the event and was a dead cert but a lot of us ended up getting nothing. Just remember Jeans forecast is just that, it's not wrong until the time has passed. ;) In saying all that I tend to prefer Bbc weather recently, at least they actually show the predicted showers moving in unlike met eireann who have a stagnant cloud Pat short Style.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:
    Bright intervals and sleet or snow showers on Monday. Mainly dry with sunny or clear spells on Tuesday and Wednesday. Remaining bitterly cold with occasionally strong northerly winds.
    The above is update from UK Met. Nothing too interesting for NI in this outlook. Just showers on Monday and clear spells on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snow line here has descended somewhat... North facing photo and there is even a mini ice drift against the house at the back..ominous view 200xmpc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Snow line here has descended somewhat... North facing photo and there is even a mini ice drift against the house at the back..ominous view 200xmpc.jpg

Sigh; date has slipped again; that was taken this morning soon after 8 am

• Registered Users Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ch750536 wrote: »
    Spot on for my location so far

You are nearly 860ft up so it is very likely that any kind of precipitation will be snow and cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

FYI Gerry's 755am radio 1 forecast this morning for next week was very wintry up until next Friday
    Guess what,No mention of rain, just bands of sleet and snow crossing the country early in the week followed by sleet and snow showers in the north and east,is he our new hero

Just saying like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Very light snow falling here in Castletroy, Limerick, but watching the radar the cloud that it's falling from has pretty much evaporated on it's way from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sleety snow flurries here all morning (39 m asl) and given the colour of the sky to my NW, another one moving in. Feels bitter in that wind.

screenshot_9.png

Edit, snowing now again.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sigh; date has slipped again; that was taken this morning soon after 8 am

I'd probably just turn the date thing off then Grace, those date things just ruin a good photo anyway.

And we trust you enough about when the photo's are being taken, so no worries there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Watching. The 06z. Gfs. Roll out, same theme cold and snowy, minor changes on each and every run. still to far out to be pinpointing Exactly who will do best over the next week or so, as said before January has flown by with all this model Watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You are nearly 860ft up so it is very likely that any kind of precipitation will be snow and cold!

Was sleety rain, just like the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snowing in Cavan town. Windy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Watching. The 06z. Gfs. Roll out, same theme cold and snowy, minor changes on each and every run. still to far out to be pinpointing Exactly who will do best over the next week or so, as said before January has flown by with all this model Watching

Cold yes but mostly dry, only high ground in Ulster having any meaningful lying snow in the next 5 days. That's just one run obviously but those snowfall charts tend to overestimate rather than underestimate so a word of caution to anyone expecting significant snowfall

120-780UK_ksu7.GIF

Harps wrote: »
    Cold yes but mostly dry, only high ground in Ulster having any meaningful lying snow in the next 5 days. That's just one run obviously but those snowfall charts tend to overestimate rather than underestimate so a word of caution to anyone expecting significant snowfall

120-780UK_ksu7.GIF
    I have no faith in them charts at all. As always with snow in Ireland, it will be a nowcast affair, but I'm not counting my chickens by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Well thats a very upsetting chart. I am getting just a little excited at the thought of streamers comming in off the east coast.It is just amazing to watch,but that is just one model Ill stay hopeful till this evening and see whatbthe charts bring then.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Well thats a very upsetting chart. I am getting just a little excited at the thought of streamers comming in off the east coast.It is just amazing to watch,but that is just one model Ill stay hopeful till this evening and see whatbthe charts bring then.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I'd probably just turn the date thing off then Grace, those date things just ruin a good photo anyway.

And we trust you enough about when the photo's are being taken, so no worries there. :)

The only problem with turning the date off is that in the future (if you're anything like me) it might be hard to remember when it was taken. I agree that it can sometimes interfere with a photo but I do love being able to pinpoint when the photo was taken

The only problem with turning the date off is that in the future (if you're anything like me) it might be hard to remember when it was taken. I agree that it can sometimes interfere with a photo but I do love being able to pinpoint when the photo was taken
    on most digital cameras the date and time is saved in the image file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, if you right click on the image file all the details should be there

120-780UK_ksu7.GIF
    remind me how much snow did those early in the week show for Dundalk carlingford and Newry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

remind me how much snow did those early in the week show for Dundalk carlingford and Newry...

About 3-5cm I reckon...

81-780UK_mxk6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree, South Dublin has twice got a good snow covering in the past couple of weeks despite met eireann and these snow charts giving nothing

About 3-5cm I reckon...

81-780UK_mxk6.GIF

7 inches in S Armagh is three times that
    4 near Dubdalk is Double

Those maps are toilet paper tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

I remember a couple of years ago the charts were promising easterly streamers to hit Dublin late at night, There was great excitement for days leading up to the event..That evening the weather forecast on Rte called rain and wind..I can remember some posters on Boards saying that it was a disgrace and there would be sackings in the MET...I had the day off so loaded up with some beers and stayed up till 4am lampost watching..Nothing but rain..The MET called it right..I've been guilty of jumping on the ramp train so many times but now I tend to hold off getting too excited untill closer to the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Philip7304 wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago the charts were promising easterly streamers to hit Dublin late at night, There was great excitement for days leading up to the event..That evening the weather forecast on Rte called rain and wind..I can remember some posters on Boards saying that it was a disgrace and there would be sackings in the MET...I had the day off so loaded up with some beers and stayed up till 4am lampost watching..Nothing but rain..The MET called it right..I've been guilty of jumping on the ramp train so many times but now I tend to hold off getting too excited untill closer to the time....

I'm not really feeling it based on MT's latest forecast for early next week, maybe a few streamers will hit Dublin but by no means a serious snow event it would seem, although I'd love to be wrong on that...

7 inches in S Armagh is three times that
    4 near Dubdalk is Double

Those maps are toilet paper tbh
    All precipitation/snow depth charts need to be taken with a pinch of salt,even the euro4 one of the best, chops and changes every run and it only goes out to 48 hours.

Philip7304 wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago the charts were promising easterly streamers to hit Dublin late at night, There was great excitement for days leading up to the event..That evening the weather forecast on Rte called rainw and wind..I can remember some posters on Boards saying that it was a disgrace and there would be sackings in the MET...I had the day off so loaded up with some beers and stayed up till 4am lampost watching..Nothing but rain..The MET called it right..I've been guilty of jumping on the ramp train so many times but now I tend to hold off getting too excited untill closer to the time....
    Aye and you're right

The rest of us are certified, we don't deny it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I have found this post in the LOLercoaster thread, and I felt it perfectly described the current atmosphere of the thread.

lol, it got more thanks here than "cool pics" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement