Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WWF Tours in the 90s/00s

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Kolido wrote: »
    J
    WWF @ London, England - Earls Court - August 4, 1993
    Tito Santana pinned the Predator
    Brutus Beefcake pinned Terry Taylor
    Tatanka pinned Bam Bam Bigelow
    WWF Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated the Headshrinkers
    Owen Hart pinned Papa Shango
    Jim Duggan pinned Bastion Booger
    Hulk Hogan defeated WWF World Champion Yokozuna via disqualification

Dont remember the preditor at all, anyone remember this dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Dont remember the preditor at all, anyone remember this dude?

Hulk Hogan's real-life nephew, went by the name Horace Hogan in WCW, real name Michael Bollea.

Not to be confused with Sylvestor 'The Predator' Terkey who was on Smackdown and ECW around 5 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You think you have seen everything and something like this comes along.

Cactus Jack vs Rick Rude from the Point Theatre Paddy's Day 1993 :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbkppf_cactus-jack-vs-rick-rude_sport

From the same show Vader vs Sting (the famous title change match)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dvvm_sting-vs-vader-wcw-title_sport

Credit to this blog: http://segundacaida.blogspot.ie/2012/07/wednesday-night-bootleg-cactus-v-rude.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Woah. **** just got real! Was anyone from here at that?

That's awesome. Wonder if that 93 Paddy's Day show was on Irish TV or if it was just that the WCW crew filmed everything.

Love this thread, don't let it die!

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    That's awesome. Wonder if that 93 Paddy's Day show was on Irish TV or if it was just that the WCW crew filmed everything.

Neither it was a handheld camera by some lad that blagged himself into recording ringside.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrstpatsfc

Never heard of that Paddys day event, nice little piece to stumble across.

Running a Survivor Series competition for anyone interested.

http://irishnewsreview.net/2012/11/06/wwe-parties-ready-to-rumble/

rovert wrote: »
    Neither it was a handheld camera by some lad that blagged himself into recording ringside.

Interesting, so most if not the whole show could be out there somewhere.

WCW @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - March 17, 1993 (3,000)

Johnny B. Badd pinned Scotty Flamingo
    Davey Boy Smith pinned Vinnie Vegas
    Rick Rude pinned Cactus Jack

And within 3-4 years, the three losers here would be three of the biggest stars in wrestling. :P

I'm guessing that Nash was already on his way out of the company by this time. He lost every match he had on that European tour and less than three months later he was at WWF.

Interesting, so most if not the whole show could be out there somewhere.

I have the whole show on DVD. I got it off a chap in America that I buy DVDs off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

There's something strange about buying something filmed in Ireland from someone in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I have this on DVD too. Really good quality for the time too.

I have the whole show on DVD. I got it off a chap in America that I buy DVDs off.
    I have this on DVD too. Really good quality for the time too.

Fan-made or WCW cameras?

Fan-made or WCW cameras?

Fan made. Its the same as the videos that Rovert posted but its the whole show.

'The World's Most Dangerous Announcer' Gary Michael Cappetta covers the 1991 and 1993 European tours in his book.

By the sounds of it, 1991 wasn't exactly smooth sailing due to shenanigans from a handful of the talent (surprise surprise Scott Steiners name is mentioned) and transportation problems getting to Dublin (they were due to fly commercial from Sheffield, but because of bad weather, had to get a bus full of "fights, fits, and farts" to Manchester, and then find a private carrier to take them to Dublin.

1993 was however deemed a success, due in large part to the signing of Davey Boy Smith:
    The money that World Championship Wrestling spent to acquire the services of the Bulldog was worthwhile from the return received on its investment in Europe alone. By the time we reached England for what was billed the Real Event Tour, Smith’s and Rude’s faces were splattered across national magazines and every major newspaper in the cities where we played. A description from Dublin’s Evening Herald on March 17, read:
    He stands 6 ft. 3 inches, weighs in at 253 lbs, moves like a snake in the ring before trundling across to devastate his tremulous opponents. Ravishing Rick Rude, champion wrestler and glistening monster of meat and muscle, has them all at his feet, begging for mercy from his vice-like grip.

The British Bulldog’s established strongman routine against Rick Rude’s arrogant sex-pistol persona thrilled the throngs in every arena we played. The Real Event drew 9,204 for a gate of $195,000 at London’s Wembley Arena, sold out the 9,200 seat nec Arena in Birmingham and played to 8,000 fans at the G-Mex Centre in Manchester. Aberdeen, Scotland, and Belfast, Northern Ireland, each drew 4,000 strong before the tour wound down the tour at the Pointe in Dublin on St. Patrick’s Day. In addition to the large gates, merchandise sales were at an all-time wcw high of six dollar per person, totaling $55,000 for our one show in London alone.

We experienced only one minor glitch during the six-city tour. The day before our arrival in Belfast, terrorist members of the ira bombed a police car on a city street in broad daylight. This only added to our concern for the safety of the British Bulldog, whose top billing in the politically volatile city was risky from the start. The decision to travel to Dublin immediately after the Kings Hall show, instead of remaining in Belfast for the night, allowed us to escape without incident. But even this potentially dangerous scenario could not dampen the intense feelings of friendship our success each night sustained.

Source - Gary Michael Cappetta - Bodyslams, Memoirs of a Wrestling Pitchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I think this is a photo I took from WWE (Smackdown!) @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - April 20, 2005 (6,400; sell out)

MnI0MFvl.jpg

WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - June 20, 1995
    WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Bertha Faye
    Men on a Mission defeated the New Headshrinkers
    Shawn Michaels defeated IRS
    The Smoking Gunns vs. Jacob & Eli Blu
    Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Duke Drose
    The Undertaker defeated Kama
    Bret Hart defeated Hakushi

King Kong Bundy & Adam Bomb both wrestled on this card. I found my pictures!!! :)

tpITXONl.jpg
    Z5iaNE2l.jpg
    ejIMmMil.jpg
    kRCT3Ysl.jpg
    rkJc0P2l.jpg
    h2ia31Yl.jpg
    4ZhZCURl.jpg
    L9217qQl.jpg
    Ec45YxJl.jpg
    xwO3G5Wl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

So happy with those WCW at the Point vids, can't believe they've been up so long and I haven't seen them yet. I was there as an impressionable 9 year old. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - April 20, 2005 (6,400; sell out)
    WWE Cruiserweight Champion Paul London defeated Spike Dudley, Billy Kidman, and Chavo Guerrero Jr.
    Mark Jindrak & Torrie Wilson defeated Carlito Caribbean Cool & Dawn Marie
    Booker T defeated Rene Dupree
    Sho Funaki & Nunzio defeated Akio & Shannon Moore
    The Undertaker defeated John Heidenreich
    Luther Reigns defeated Scotty 2 Hotty
    WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Joey Mercury & Johnny Nitro defeated Charlie Haas & Hardcore Holly
    WWE World Champion John Cena vs. John Bradshaw Layfield

If I remember this show also featured a 6-man tag team match of Kurt Angle & The Bashman Brothers vs. Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio & Big Show

Thought this thread was cool at the time and should be bumped the odd time. Anyways Roddy tweeted this from 1991:

B8nlA6VIUAIHILm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I remember been there early 90s in the point.. but i noticed the guys i saw there not mentioned, Warlord, Big bossman, undertaker, and Sid vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I was at that one, still have the programme

a great nights entertainment..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Was lucky enough to head backstage and meet all the wrestlers, some of them scared the life out of 6 year old me :D

Macho and Double J were legends though, this pic is a nice little memento to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

I just googled the WCW show I went to in '91 and it brought me to here! I googled it because I remembered seeing Arn Anderson ( Arn did the spot where he gets punched in the gut and throws his head back and spits straight up in the air!) and Larry Zybsko (so under-rated) but for the life of me, I couldn't remember who they fought. It was a surreal night, because the WCW we were getting on UTV was months behind the times so all the title holders were wrong, and the place was very far from full. I didn't realise one of my all time favs, Steve Regal was on the card, I do remember the match he was in though because he was squashed like a total jobber and he was the only guy on the card who had no entrance music. I think PM News was on The Late Late Show to promote the event...My younger bro won a competition on Dempseys Den for 4 tickets for the show so my family got ringside seats while I had bought a ticket weeks in advance and I was up in the rafters! But he also won a trip backstage to meet the wrestlers and my Mam who had no interest in going backstage, let me go back instead of her. We met Rick Steiner, Bill Kazmaier and Surfer Sting. It was actually pretty akward, teenage me wanted to say lots but I clammed up around adults all the time back then and Rick Steiner looked very unhappy to be there and he was a scary dude, the widest shoulders I ever seen in real life, and all the others who got backstage didn't give a rats about wrestling. Hopefully next time I'm home, I'll dig out my pic of me and Stinger back when I had no grey hairs or beard and lots of zits and Sting was built like a tank! His match with Rick Rude (and managed by Paul E. Dangerously with his giant phone!) was by far the best of the night, even the Mam who has no interest in wrestling got a kick out of Sting showing Rude's arse to the crowd before hitting him with an (possibly inverted) atomic drop! Christ I'll need to dig out the old photo-scanner too now I think of it...

This is an awesome thread too btw! :)

warlord had the widest shoulders i ever saw... davy boy smith was there too...

Advertisement