Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Athy 0-12 JTB 0-3 (HT)

Athy dominating the second semi final. Niall Kelly running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Were you at the two semis, Klairon? If you were, who stood out and done the scoring? In work so couldn't make it. :(

I left at half time in the second game. Ben McCormack again stood out for Sarsfields. Very pacy and direct. He looks a player for the future. Alan Scully at corner back was good too. Celbridge lacked ideas up front. They'll be kicking themselves that they couldn't get Paddy Brophy available to play. They were in the game in the first half but after the penalty (soft award IMO) the result was never really in doubt.

Athy just dominated JTB for the half an hour that I watched. Niall Kelly was inspired. JTB have a handful of very good players but they don't have the depth of quality that teams like Athy and Sarsfields have.

Interesting final line up. Athy seem to have turned a corner since jettisoning Kellaghan. A lot will depend on whether the teams have Alan Smith and Kevin Feely (didn't start today) available to them. Smith kicked a typical Smith point late on but Mick O'Grady did beat him for pace on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Massive coup for ye getting Cian O'Neill back.

Could really make ye competitive next year (and I don't mean that as an insult, he's just that good.)

If he gets a real good football man in with him as a sidekick (like he had with Eamon Fitz) he'll do wonders in terms of training the team.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    If he gets a real good football man in with him as a sidekick (like he had with Eamon Fitz) he'll do wonders in terms of training the team.

He has one in Bryan Murphy. They have worked together before with the Kildare minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

there is nothing better than waking up dying known your in another county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭paintitwhite

Is Kevin Feely expected to play for Kildare next season

Is Kevin Feely expected to play for Kildare next season

He was interviewed in the Nationalist a few weeks ago. He said he has no plans to go back playing soccer at the moment. He is concentrating on football and finishing off his physiotherapy degree. Barring injury, it will be hugely surprising if he doesn't play for Kildare next year.

FEELY TARGETS KILDARE SPOT BUT HAS SIGHTS SET ON A SECOND SENIOR TITLE FIRST

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2015
    ATHY’S Kevin Feely is targeting a return to county football as he resumes life as a student this week.

The 23-year-old left Newport County in August, ending a three-year spell as a professional soccer player in the English Football League. Feely has since returned to his first sporting love with Athy, helping them overcome Naas in a county semi-final on Sunday. He has given up life as a professional soccer player to focus on his studies and being a success on the GAA fields for club and county

“The days when Athy were playing championship while I was in England were brutal,” said Feely. “And when the Kildare under-21s won Leinster in my own age, it was hard to take. Missing out on big years kind of helped influence my decision. I felt I had a bit more to offer to Gaelic than I had to soccer although I had a chance to make a career over there. The fact that I was constantly thinking about Gaelic while I was over there probably told me that my heart’s not in this.”

The former county minor began a soccer scholarship at DCU in 2010, where he was studying physiotherapy. Two years later he moved to England, having signed with Charlton Athletic. This week he is back on campus in north Dublin, belatedly beginning the third year of his studies.

“Finishing the degree and getting back playing Gaelic football were the main reasons behind coming back,” said Feely. “Soccer is not in my plans at the moment.”

When asked about the possibility of playing with Kildare again, Feely was unequivocal.

“I’d love to get involved,” he said although winning a second county title with Athy is his immediate goal.

“I’m just delighted to be back and helping in some way. We’ve only got one focus this year and that’s championship. If I could do something towards helping us win that or getting as far as we can, I’m happy,” said Feely, who came home to a club that was reeling from a shock defeat to St Laurence’s in round two. Although they were still in the championship, the players pushed for a new manager. Since Pascal Kellaghan’s departure, the team have recovered to reach the semi-finals.

“As a group they just felt we needed a change to move back in the right direction, they were just a bit upset after the two Larries games,” said Feely, who only returned to the fray for Athy’s round three clash with Allenwood. “They felt a change was needed to spark us into life. Fair play to the boys, they made a decision as a group that was brave and for the last two games we’re proving the point to ourselves, which is huge.”

Athy’s revival has coincided with Feely’s return although it seems like a long time since he was lording midfield during the club’s 2011 championship victory.

“Walking around college this week for orientation with first years, I did feel very old,” Feely admitted. Now he’s hoping to turn back time on the football fields of Kildare.

By Brendan Coffey

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2015/09/24/feely-targets-kildare-spot-but-has-sights-set-on-a-second-senior-title-first/

• Advertisement

SHC Final

Ardclough 0-5 Coill Dubh 0-2 (19 mins)

Ardclough 0-5 Coill Dubh 0-5

Coill Dubh take the lead for the first time.

6 apiece at half time.

Goal from Paul Fitzgerald. Ardclough back in the lead 1-7 0-9.

1-8 to 0-10 (46 mins)

Level

Point for Flaherty. 0-12 to 1-8

Point for Adrian McAndrew. 0-13 to 1-8

Paul Fitzgerald leaves the minimum in it again. 0-13 1-9

• Advertisement

0-14 1-9

0-14 1-10

0-15 1-10

Coill Dubh are county champions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

MFC semi final. Sarsfields 1-09 moorefield 2-12😠

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Were Moorefield ever in a minor final before?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Michael2107

paulie21 wrote: »
    Were Moorefield ever in a minor final before?
    Fairly sure they won one in the early 2000's.

U16 Kilkenny Hurling League Shield Final

Naas 6-12 Ballyhale Shamrocks 0-6

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

As far as I remember Moorfield have never won a minor championship. Pollardstown won one in the eighties they were an amalgamation of Moorfield and Milltown. Sarsfields beat Moorfield in a minor final around that time as well.

• Advertisement

Moorefield last won a minor title in 2003. Won it in 1997 before that.

Advertisement