Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Beasty wrote: »
    GB Olympic Kit launched :eek:

The cycling kit is pretty dire alright
    Victoria+Pendleton+in+the+adidas+Team+GB+Kit

On the other hand I must say I can't see anything wrong with your track and field kit.
    Jessica+Ennis+in+the+adidas+Team+GB+Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've got tickets for the olympics

white water kayaking though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/iHome-Rechargeable-Mini-Speakers-Black/dp/B004I8WHA6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

would love any bit of music on some long spins!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nothing about the opening of the Grand Canal cycle route on the news. What could be so important that it would push that out of the headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/iHome-Rechargeable-Mini-Speakers-Black/dp/B004I8WHA6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

would love any bit of music on some long spins!

The X-mini II speaker is half the price and really good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The X-mini II speaker is half the price and really good...
    :eek: It's 3 times the price in Dublin shops.

You could do what your local mentaller does and sellotape a radio to your handlebars. It's a dying tradition that should be revived.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Nothing about the opening of the Grand Canal cycle route on the news. What could be so important that it would push that out of the headlines?

Tried it today on the way home out of curiousity (Sam Beckett Bridge to Portobello). It is OK in parts but I was surprised at the extensive cobbles at Grand Canal Quay - while fun I don't think it'll do much to get more people cycling if it feels like they're on a boneshaker.

The lack of respect from other cyclists for the lights is an issue, as if you were on the road going along the Canal you can normally cycle ahead of them so they don't go ahead of you. Normally works but as you are stopping and stopping more often you're more likely to be behind them. Also, numerous cyclists were stopping in both cycle lanes on both sides of the road meaning you couldn't cycle straight - at plenty of junctions there was many dances of 'are you going left of me? Are you going right of me?'

I encountered one car blocking the cycle route who was stopped at red lights, annoying but not much you could do about it. There were also several pedestrians on the path (I tried the bell but they didn't move, to be expected). There's also incredibly poor access in and out of the Leeson Street bridge section and it's difficult for me to rejoin the main road I take home.

At the end of it I decided I'll be sticking to the road. Then again, I suppose the intended audience isn't me as I'm happy cycling on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Always laugh to myself when a few 'young wans' walk past holding a mobile phone out in front of them while listening to some tinny sh!te coming from the speaker.
    God be with the days you'd be down the road with a ghetto blaster(twin tape deck of course) with a sound you could actually listen to and your mate in tow carrying a plastic bag full of spare D cell batteries. : )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't forget the bag of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

LOL How could I forget the drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

LOL How could I forget the drink.

You forgot cardboard. Someone was always carrying a sheet of cardboard for breakdancing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    You forgot cardboard. Someone was always carrying a sheet of cardboard for breakdancing on.

we were so posh. we had lino.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bleedin southsiders, lowering the tone of the place

(Flaggins or naggins of course)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bleedin southsiders, lowering the tone of the place

(Flaggins or naggins of course)

Always naggins where I grew up. Never heard of a flaggin til I moved to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I'm really starting to panic about my best man speech now, only a few hours left!!!
    Screw it, I think I'll just wing it, I know it's the wrong thing to do but how wrong could it actually go?

No one needs to actually answer that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Holyboy wrote: »
    I'm really starting to panic about my best man speech now, only a few hours left!!!
    Screw it, I think I'll just wing it, I know it's the wrong thing to do but how wrong could it actually go?

Ah you'll be fine! Just remember that you're among friends, everyone has been wined and dined by that stage and are up for a laugh!

forget about the stress and enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

G rock wrote: »
    I hope you went by bike, absolutely beautiful morning for it!

I did. Glorious morning for it. Even the traffic was playing nice.

I was planning to do tomorrow but I got an email reminding me that the college wants their books back and they wont let me renew them online. I can't lug 6 door stoppers of books with me, my panniers would cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I have known X for15 years and in that time we have had a lot of fun and great nights craic, we have got up to some mischief. I could go on for hours about the messing that has gone on. Much though I would love to embarass him, his mother is here [granny], new in-laws etc and he has given me a list of things that I am not allowed to mention in my speech.

Best man produces a piece of paper from his pocket and reads out list of things he is not allowed to mention. Just read the list, do not expand

Include some true things that make him look cute -running away from home at 5 etc Grannys & aunties go ahh

Include some true things that make him look like a drunken fool - passing out drunk, - so all his mates at the back laugh out loud

Include somethings that make him look like a poor boyfriend - way he dresses/turning up late/dancing - so all the brides mates give a knowing laugh

Intersperse this with things made up that will have people looking at each other and going wtf - Bangkok, tattos, awkward piercings

You are the last person to speak so nobody will get a chance to respond

Put away list and say that this does not leave you with much else to say.

Say that the bridesmaids are looking wonderful and how you know they mean so much to the bride

Say that you have know X for 15 years and are honuored that he has asked you to be his best man. While in that 15 years he had a few girlfriends come and go it was very obvious that when he met Y she was clearly something special. She clearly brings out the best in him and think that he brings out the best in her. YOu really wish them all the best and are sure that the future will be rich and happy. Ask everyone to be upstanding one last time and toast the bride and groom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

We want a full report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

543622_261975267222746_100002308257235_581898_1365588189_n.jpg

From the SKT facebook, interesting method of locking a bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That image is doing the rounds for a while. At least since january...

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

niceonetom wrote: »
    Bike Butterfly

April 1st is just around the corner methinks. I cannot see anyone, but the gayest of gays, adopting this. Surely this is all a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

niceonetom wrote: »
    Bike Butterfly

April 1st is just around the corner methinks. I cannot see anyone, but the gayest of gays, adopting this. Surely this is all a joke!

That chap reminds me of Lumen. Can't for the life of me think why though...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

TomPeterson.jpg

, but the gayest of gays,

Sorry to do this, but is anyone else here sick of the use of a pejorative to describe a persons lifestyle choice or orientation.
    I am usually pretty thickskinned and most certainly am not part of the PC brigade.

That said noticed a small increase in the amount of times that gay, gayer, ghey is being used in a jokingly pejorative sense on forums.

I would prefer that it happened less and less tbh. I purposefully did not report the post to mods as I do not believe it warrants it, and I want to get across the message that what one person deems as an offhand comment meant as a slag, maybe offensive to others.

Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sorry to do this, but is anyone else here sick of the use of a pejorative to describe a persons lifestyle choice or orientation

You don't like the butterfly then?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Sorry to do this, but is anyone else here sick of the use of a pejorative to describe a persons lifestyle choice or orientation.
    I am usually pretty thickskinned and most certainly am not part of the PC brigade.

That said noticed a small increase in the amount of times that gay, gayer, ghey is being used in a jokingly pejorative sense on forums.

I would prefer that it happened less and less tbh. I purposefully did not report the post to mods as I do not believe it warrants it, and I want to get across the message that what one person deems as an offhand comment meant as a slag, maybe offensive to others.

Thats all.

It was never intended to offend anybody. What I was trying to say was that the Bike Butterfly is flamboyantly camp. Something that the Dancing on Ice judge, Louis Spence, might consider if he were a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It was never intended to offend anybody. What I was trying to say was that the Bike Butterfly is flamboyantly camp. Something that the Dancing on Ice judge, Louis Spence, might consider if he were a cyclist.

I think you've proven your credentials with the Dancing on Ice reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you've proven your credentials with the Dancing on Ice reference.
    Lycra is lycra, all you'd have to do is change your footwear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement