Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2013 players impressing at RWC

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Sexton is much better than Priestland? I know he was class in the WC, but I really don't think he does anything that Sexton doesn't do. And people saying Sexton's goalkicking is bad...it's really not. He has had bad days with the boot, yes, but so has Priestland. In fact, Priestland's has been so bad, he's lost kicking duties for Wales.

No. Sexton is simply a better player.

If he has any goal kicking issues then it shouldn't matter much as the Lions could well have another kicker in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

One thing that's for sure is that the Lions will have a huge amount of depth. Plenty of brilliant players in most positions around the park. We saw what happened to Australia when they lost key men against us. Can see a 2-1 series win for the Lions. It will be interesting to see how Wales fare over three tests against Aus this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think it's a bit mad naming a potential team this far out, but the starting XV will I think come from the following:

Fullbacks - Kearney or Foden
    Wings - Bowe, Ashton, 1/2p, North, maybe Earls, that Hogg chap from Scotland could be a bolter
    Outside centre - Tuilagi, Davies, possibly BOD
    Inside centre - hard to see past Roberts here
    Outhalf - Sexton, Priestland. Both way ahead of Flood or any of the Scots imo
    Scrumhalf - Lot of competition here, Murray, Philips, Youngs, Simpson maybe, Cusiter
    No 8 - Felatua and Heaslip
    Openside - Warburton way ahead of the rest
    Blindside - Ferris, SOB, I'm pretty sure Croft will go but he's not remotely as good
    2nd row - POC, Gray, Lawes, Charteris, AWJ
    Tighthead - Cole, Adam Jones
    Hooker - Best, Ford, Hartley, Rees
    Loosehead - Healy, Jenkins

And I would imagine I've forgotten a few too. I think it could be a very strong squad that travels next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »
    I think it's a bit mad naming a potential team this far out, but the starting XV will I think come from the following:

Fullbacks - Kearney or Foden
    Wings - Bowe, Ashton, 1/2p, North, maybe Earls, that Hogg chap from Scotland could be a bolter
    Outside centre - Tuilagi, Davies, possibly BOD
    Inside centre - hard to see past Roberts here
    Outhalf - Sexton, Priestland. Both way ahead of Flood or any of the Scots imo
    Scrumhalf - Lot of competition here, Murray, Philips, Youngs, Simpson maybe, Cusiter
    No 8 - Felatua and Heaslip
    Openside - Warburton way ahead of the rest
    Blindside - Ferris, SOB, I'm pretty sure Croft will go but he's not remotely as good
    2nd row - POC, Gray, Lawes, Charteris, AWJ
    Tighthead - Cole, Adam Jones
    Hooker - Best, Ford, Hartley, Rees
    Loosehead - Healy, Jenkins

And I would imagine I've forgotten a few too. I think it could be a very strong squad that travels next year.

On current form, Denton could well go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fodens a great broken field runner and probably a better defender than Kearney but I think Robs ariel abilities set him apart from any other 15 in the NH

Hmm, I'd disagree here. I'm a big fan of Foden, one of the few English internationals I actually like, but his defense is questionable. I know Kearney has issues with his tackling technique, but for the most part is a pretty solid sweeper. Foden often makes brainfarts in defense, twice in their last game which resulted in two tries against England, and also during the WC which incidentally sent them home packing.

I'd probably say Foden is the better attacker. He's more of a danger runner for me, almost a winger with some extra skillsets enough to fit him at 15. Kearney is the equivalent of a goal keeper - extremely confident under high ball, awareness of space, and an evident urge to return the ball back towards the opposition by means of running the ball into contact (often his downfall imo).

I'd probably pick Kearney out of the two of them.. but in reality, if Wales win the GS and Gatland is the coach you can bet your money it'll be 1/2penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland's No. 8 David Denton squeeze in there too. He's looked very good this year.

I'd be fairly sure BOD will be there too. He'll be fully fit (hopefully) for the first time in years and be playing smashing rugby.

What ever happened to John Barcley? I know hes been on the bench for Scotland but he'd been their stand out player for a while and now hes behind Rennie. I know Rennie's good also but i though for sure Barcley would be a future Lion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

i'd reckon by then it will be

15. halfpenny
    14.visser
    13.bod
    12.roberts
    11.north
    10.sexton
    9.philips
    8.heaslip
    7.warburton
    6.sob
    5.lawes
    4.gray
    3.adam jones
    2.strauss
    1.cian healy

rugby planet and their own little comment on it too

xdf77m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Outside bet for O/H Danny Cipriani- joining Sale reportedly and if England are any use they'll select him in the summer the guy is a class act if he plays in the 6n next year and to his potential he'll surely be on the plane. O/H is potentialy a weak position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭twinytwo

wonton wrote: »
    i'd reckon by then it will be

15. halfpenny
    14.visser
    13.bod
    12.roberts
    11.north
    10.sexton
    9.philips
    8.heaslip
    7.warburton
    6.sob
    5.lawes
    4.gray
    3.adam jones
    2.strauss
    1.cian healy

rugby planet and their own little comment on it too

xdf77m.jpg

That rugby planet team is never going to happen ... there wold be uproar not enough english players.... Its the same reason the likes of monye and flutey were taken last time.

can see the backline being

15 foden
    14bowe
    13bod
    12roberts
    11ashton
    10 sexton
    9 phillips/youngs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Wow I completely forgot Strauss would be eligible too..

On that, Best or Strauss will start for Ireland? Will they be the two fighting for hooker for the Lions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tox56 wrote: »
    On that, Best or Strauss will start for Ireland? Will they be the two fighting for hooker for the Lions?

Best in his current form is well, well ahead of Strauss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Strauss won't make Ireland team and hence will find it difficult to make Lions tour. Ford, Best and either Hartley/Rees/Bennett I'd imagine as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

George Ford would be a good outside bet as an out-half. Massive potential, and is likely to nail down the Leicester and England out half position eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Don't see Strauss overhauling Best tbh. If Best gets injured Strauss might be the man to step in but Best is a proven international player who is in good form.

Advertisement