Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

mmajunkie reporting Anderson Silva Nick Diaz is set for January 31st. Can't post the link at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

http://instagram.com/p/rDQvJ0vA59/

Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva confirmed for January! UFC is on a roll lately after a rocky few months.

Re Cub v Frankie, I wish the UFC would stop promising title fights, one injury like Aldo's and you have the division stagnating. Cub is now sitting out for his title fight (can't blame him) and Frankie is now in limbo essentially with no fight. Is Lamas injured? Only other fight that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Hopefully Silva retires him for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Scheduled to return to the Octagon in Brasilia, Brazil on September 13 against Paulo Thiago, veteran Joe "Diesel" Riggs's first UFC bout since 2006 has been put on hold after an accident at Riggs' home in Arizona Monday night..

The UFC released the following statement on the incident..

“We were made aware that newly-signed UFC competitor Joe Riggs was involved in an unfortunate accident last night. While cleaning his permitted firearm (a pistol), the gun discharged, injuring his hand and upper thigh. Riggs was transported to a nearby hospital in Arizona where he is being treated by physicians. We wish Joe a speedy recovery.”

A replacement opponent for Thiago is being sought and will be announced shortly.

Thats a 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Hopefully Silva retires him for good.
    I never liked his attitude (Diaz),
    too 'street', or maybe its just an act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

dave1982 wrote: »
    Thats a 1st

who needs a safety or to check is the gun is loaded

I never liked his attitude (Diaz),
    too 'street', or maybe its just an act?

Awful attitude, self entitled, and overrated.
    If I said what I really thought I'd have to ban myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Awful attitude, self entitled, and overrated.

Stokton Son represent!! Will be very interesting matchup, I see Silva taking this handy but you never know how his recovery goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Wheh you at, Guapo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How the fück is this a "superfight"??? These two are coming off back to back losses with a year+ break in there for good measure and one is 7-6 in the UFC and was never even champ...

Overhyped fight that I personally don't think matters too much to the division.

How the fück is this a "superfight"??? These two are coming off back to back losses with a year+ break in there for good measure and one is 7-6 in the UFC and was never even champ...

Overhyped fight that I personally don't think matters too much to the division.

Since when do superfights ever matter to a division? It is about a good stylistic match up that will be fun as hell. You can bet this will be one of the best selling PPV's the UFC will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    Since when do superfights ever matter to a division? It is about a good stylistic match up that will be fun as hell. You can bet this will be one of the best selling PPV's the UFC will have.

I there was a bookie (or a person) willing to take that bet. I'd be confidant that it would craic the top 5. And viewers it does get, will be down to the return of Silva, not Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mellor wrote: »
    I there was a bookie (or a person) willing to take that bet. I'd be confidant that it would craic the top 5. And viewers it does get, will be down to the return of Silva, not Diaz

Is it at a catchweight or whats the story?

Assuming it's at Middleweight as Dana says
    If (Diaz) comes in and beats Anderson Silva, absolutely, he could fight for the title,” White said. “He’s right in there. It would be a huge, huge win for him

Which I think is complete horseshít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Assuming it's at Middleweight as Dana says

Which I think is complete horseshít

I agree, it's utter horsesh1t if he got a title shot from it. Say Silva does his leg again in the fight and there is a doctor stoppage, is Dana really gonna let Diaz leapfrog Jacare, Rockhold etc. and get a shot at Weidmann?? Or even worse, would he put him in a WW title match after he wouldn't have had a welterweight win in over 3 years?!

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Silva fighting a MW contender wouldn't do as many PPV's as him fighting Diaz. People are going to watch this because they know it is going to be something that shouldn't be missed, and Diaz adds to that big time. Personally i would rather Diaz made a run at WW title as there are so many exciting fights for him in that division currently.

Of course the talk of Diaz getting a shot at the MW title is bull, the guy is a small Welterweight he would be completely out wrestled. If he beats Silva it gives him great credit in the WW division, not MW.

I see Anderson winning this easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Davei141 wrote: »
    Silva fighting a MW contender wouldn't do as many PPV's as him fighting Diaz. People are going to watch this because they know it is going to be something that shouldn't be missed, and Diaz adds to that big time. Personally i would rather Diaz made a run at WW title as there are so many exciting fights for him in that division currently.

Of course the talk of Diaz getting a shot at the MW title is bull, the guy is a small Welterweight he would be completely out wrestled. If he beats Silva it gives him great credit in the WW division, not MW.

I agree with this.

The fight will do well PPV wise. Anderson is a long time champion and Nick has a huge following of both fans and haters.

I like Nick, he's a game fighter and very talented. I struggle to see him winning the fight, unless Anderson has lost something after his injury. His aggressive, offensive boxing style should play into Anderson's hands. His JJ is good, but, he most likely won't try to take it there and would struggle to get him down if he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Here, lads, just relax and enjoy the fight. I think this is an awesome fight! It's a perfect match up for both guys IMO. I can't really see how Diaz wins this tbh. But it's a good fight on the feet and it's a good fight on the ground. I, for one, will be ordering a massive pizza that night and watching with great interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There is really only one thing uncertain here.

Will Diaz retire again after he loses?

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Here, lads, just relax and enjoy the fight. I think this is an awesome fight! It's a perfect match up for both guys IMO. I can't really see how Diaz wins this tbh. But it's a good fight on the feet and it's a good fight on the ground. I, for one, will be ordering a massive pizza that night and watching with great interest!
    That makes no sense the way I read it...

That makes no sense the way I read it...

When I say it's a perfect match up for Diaz for example, I don't mean it's perfect in the way that he will win easily. I mean Anderson Silva matches his style. Diaz will want to stand and trade hands and Silva will allow him to. The fact that Diaz wants to stand and bang is perfect for Silva.

Anderson just happens to be better than Diaz at it and will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Locomotion wrote: »
    I agree, it's utter horsesh1t if he got a title shot from it. Say Silva does his leg again in the fight and there is a doctor stoppage, is Dana really gonna let Diaz leapfrog Jacare, Rockhold etc. and get a shot at Weidmann?? Or even worse, would he put him in a WW title match after he wouldn't have had a welterweight win in over 3 years?!

Weidman would suplex Diaz through the centre of the octagon. Would be such a mismatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Trash talk would also be terrible. Weidman is too much of a gentleman.

Also, his personality seems non existent!

Has another fighter ever had more failed drugs tests than fights in the UFC? Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

This is interesting. Would make UFC 178 more loaded than it already is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

how high up the 178 card will Conor's fight...ahem...WIN be...in people's opinions? or is it known? I mean I've seen the card so far as it stands on the UFC site but will it change? surely he'd be in the last 3 fights given the hype-wave he's riding (not that he doesn't deserve everything he gets)

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier
    Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
    Jorge Masvidal vs. Bobby Green
    Takeya Mizugaki vs. Dominick Cruz
    Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
    Cat Zingano vs. Amanda Nunes
    Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson
    John Howard vs. Brian Ebersole

no official fight order yet... anyone like to guess where he'll fight on the card?

What makes most sense business-wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

how high up the 178 card will Conor's fight...ahem...WIN be...in people's opinions? or is it known? I mean I've seen the card so far as it stands on the UFC site but will it change? surely he'd be in the last 3 fights given the hype-wave he's riding (not that he doesn't deserve everything he gets)

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier
    Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
    Jorge Masvidal vs. Bobby Green
    Takeya Mizugaki vs. Dominick Cruz
    Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
    Cat Zingano vs. Amanda Nunes
    Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson
    John Howard vs. Brian Ebersole

no official fight order yet... anyone like to guess where he'll fight on the card?

What makes most sense business-wise?

I'd say Co-Main, he's the new Golden Goose for them and will be used massively in the promo's

are we at that level yet? co main to feckin Jones v DC title fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

are we at that level yet? co main to feckin Jones v DC title fight?

Look at the card, his name is bigger than all the other fighters bar the main event, he'll be co-main, and Dana will probably spout some crap leading up to the fight that if he wins he'll get a shot

it'll be the fastest rise of anyone in MMA history .... if the hype brings in the PPV and they do bigger numbers than they would have already done AND he wins then surely he's set up for life..... what's his contract situation ... I assume he finished his initial 3 fight deal with the TKO of DB? Love to know what he gets in his new one? gotta be 50k show 50k win money etc etc what with his pulling power? or would they keep it backroom bonusy and not rub all the other newer fighters the wrong way orrr would they want to send a message out to the roster - if you build it we will pay?

Poirier has won 8 of his 10 UFC fights only being stopped by Cub and is ranked as no. 5 so beating him surely puts you in the title mix no matter what hype train you built for yourself.... doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Poirier has won 8 of his 10 UFC fights only being stopped by Cub and is ranked as no. 5 so beating him surely puts you in the title mix no matter what hype train you built for yourself.... doesn't it?

Bingo, Conor wins he's just behind cub, mendez and edgar, that's about it :eek:

I really rate Poirier after watching fightville and subsequently taking a notice in his fights, this will be a helluva rumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Dustin has been one of my favourite fighters for a few years now. His fights are always entertaining. I do want Conor to win but I don't think that he will. I also reckon it will definitely be co-main. Both guys are big draw names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Not sure how many people in this forum would be into this but here's the first trailer for mma drama Kingdom.

Looks good.

I have yet to see a good film about MMA, except maybe Here Comes the Boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Warrior was very good. Miles better then Here Comes the Boom

I thought Warrior was excellent. Not perfect, but a top film.

I see what Poirier brings I do ... he's got raw KO power and his hooks are so good and he's tough as nails but here's where the difference is... he needs and wants to be in close and get into a war and let his hooks fly coz he knows he's got a better chin most times so he'll be the one left standing... he's not afraid to stand right in the pocket and find your chin but Conor doesn't get right into that pocket, he's too smart and too fast for that - he has a better game - He has a stance which looks like he's engaging in the pocket but it's not really, and that's the genius - he draws people in close but they can't reach him with power shots, it forces guys to lean in to their shots and this makes them vulnerable to his pin-point strikes... he parrys and fakes and stops and goes to draw people into his trap like a cobra and then he hits you while you're loading up or after you swing and it makes guys get frustrated and once he starts that game his speed and individual techniques put him in the driving seat and Poirier is not the man to solve that.
    The only way he wins is by totally forcing the fight to where he wants it... to step right in with multiple hooks and shoot aggressively for takedowns but how is he going to out-footwork Conor? who has arguably as good footwork as we've ever seen in the UFC... he can strike going backward taking angles this way and that and deliver raspy body kicks to slow you down... he pauses and fakes and hovers all bruce lee style and whatever you do wherever you move he sees it and counters it offensively. Dustin does not move counterintuitively like Conor, he steps like a boxer and has good head movement and great boxing but he's not the natural ninja Conor is - that's where Conor has the advantage - pure natural speed and balance on his feet. If Poirier can just wade in and force the takedown and somehow get top control early then he has a good chance of beating Conor down but once Conor establishes his rythm and starts catching Dustin on the off-beat making him rethink or wade-in the way people naturally do in that situation as we've seen with guys trying to solve the Spiders striking then Poirier is set up to make 1 or 2 mistakes, missed strikes in a row and that's all Conor needs to cash-in on frustration and finish him with strikes from the feet - that's Conor's best chance and he's got the advantage before it starts... natural talent and Conor's calm mind in combat will prevail
    IMO

cannot wait... it's the perfect test for Conor... if he beats the Diamond he climbs right on to the top shelf with the big boys and nobody will want that fight with him - with a seemingly unstoppable momentum behind him and a zillion mental lunatic fans who will lift the roof off anywhere he fights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gus on Facebook just there.

"Jon, really sorry for the deep cut I gave you in our last fight.
    At least you will have a memory from me every time someone opens it up for you.
    To not make your other eye jealous for not having a cut, I promise to leave a memory on that one as well next time we fight.
    Now, take care."

10527705_696626683750474_1666579319164144200_n.jpg?oh=072e3f017be005c2a524249dce5367a8&oe=54555AAA&__gda__=1414558994_57847d1f4f58d08c1a7008aac54a3bc7

Was just about to post that :pac:. Loving the shots being fired from Gus and DC!

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd say Co-Main, he's the new Golden Goose for them and will be used massively in the promo's

Not if the reports are true about Eddie Alvarez v Cowboy are true. Possible title eliminator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Was just about to post that :pac:. Loving the shots being fired from Gus and DC!

Jons instagram video today was hilarious aswell, i really think DC will trouble him though so he would want to be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I thought Warrior was excellent. Not perfect, but a top film.

Warrior was a load of ****e!

Dermighty wrote: »
    Warrior was a load of ****e!

No it wasn't.

This could go on all day...

I seen a few MMA films and they were ****, I'll give warrior ago see what kind it is.

Never back down, blood and bone and some terrible GSP one, that they had to dub his voice in it

Theres another one with Anderson and Evans not sure of name but it look awful

DC's only chance is to close diistance throw a proper bomb and dive in to press Jones to the fence and work for takedown from there.

Jones starts on the feet and will be in charge from the bell, moving and tagging DC with punches but standing just out of reach (he'll have about a foot on him) and Jones is literally a master at this as much as I don't like the guy. DC can take anyone down if he gets a single but that's his only game there's no way in hell he is going to try stand with Jones with a foot less reach and 5 inches in height all he'll have to offer is some leg kicks (not long enough) and overhands which Jones will be prepared for, as he was for Glover. DC has one option. All eggs in one basket and yes it has worked against who? Hendo (everyone knows he's been too old not worth commenting on), Mir? now? irrelevant., Nelson? c'monn Barnett? OK OK fair enough but he's old school this the new shcool now baby he's not relevant either and none of DC's guys had Jones's mobility or reach at HW so it was easy being the mobile Olympic wrestler with the unstoppable takedowns against Giant BigFoot Silva's and fat Big Country and slow Mir's and old Hendo's - DC is good don't get me wrong but really stand back and look at his opponents - they are literally no indicator for how he does against Jones - not at all. So what does he bring? well firstoff he's carrying two bad knees and he finds the cut to 205 (no matter what he says!) really fckin hard - like reeeeeeal hard. Secondly he has no striking game bar one punch which he is to be fair good at throwing... at slow big guys.... not at Ninja quick elite athletes faster than most welter weights.... literally.... DC comes into this fight with a hyped up resume that ain't all that good in retrospect and he talks sht about beating Jones down easily he's away with the fairies he's talkin big gane to sell PPV no way in hell he believes he's gona walk this - he's gona get schooled so obviously so comprehensively he's gona look like a fat 205er with no speed or tank ....4th 5th Round DC? is gona look like Tank back in the day - out on his feet and he's getting finished easily once he fails to execute his one and only game plan - to swing - shoot - press fence - drag Jones down - and beat him up.... Sonnen couldn't, Rampage couldn't, Bader couldn't, Hamill couldn't only man to get those takedowns to work was Gus and only after Heroic striking on the feet - which DC is not going to do. This is a blown-up fight - it's usual UFC genius - make us all believe the guys got a chance against the dominant champ - and he does - a small one - that's all.

Jones by TKO or Sub deep into 3 or 4 DC hasn't got the tools for the job.... against Mir or Nelson yes....but not against Jones

...ahem forgot to say booyaaa

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement