Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a german beer

Options
  • 17-12-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Wanna try start drinking tge German stuff hoping on less of the hangover effect but theres way too many of them I don't know where to start, i had a look in aldi today, an they were more expensive than I taught with no trays

Atn carlsberg is my favorite lager to give you an idea of the taste I like. I enjoyed erdinger at Octoberfest but it absolutely killed my head the next day so im afraid of it now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wanna try start drinking tge German stuff hoping on less of the hangover effect but theres way too many of them I don't know where to start, i had a look in aldi today, an they were more expensive than I taught with no trays

Atn carlsberg is my favorite lager to give you an idea of the taste I like. I enjoyed erdinger at Octoberfest but it absolutely killed my head the next day so im afraid of it now

Spaten is nice you can get it in Aldi. I also like the Shöfferhofer weizen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Warsteiner , I'm sure it can be got here as it all over Germany but its going to cost three times what it will there. Its a very good beer though and it never gave me a hangover .
    Kostritzer , from Thüringen not so widely available here I'd say, very good beer though .
    Bitburger pils a lot better than any larger here or in Britain, I drank it for a while when I arrived in Germany. Should be easy enough to get here but drink enough of it and you will have a hangover the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

O.A.P wrote: »
    Warsteiner , I'm sure it can be got here as it all over Germany but its going to cost three times what it will there. Its a very good beer though and it never gave me a hangover .
    Kostritzer , from Thüringen not so widely available here I'd say, very good beer though .
    Bitburger pils a lot better than any larger here or in Britain, I drank it for a while when I arrived in Germany. Should be easy enough to get here but drink enough of it and you will have a hangover the next day

Cheers for that.
    Where would I get the bitburger pils? I might try it first can you get a tray or 6pack of it? Is there any pubs on the northside that do decent beers on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

augustiner edelstoff and augustiner lagerbier hell…and check out rothaus pils and andechser hell…just a few good german beers that come to mind and all available in ireland…and there are many many more...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

O.A.P wrote: »
    Kostritzer , from Thüringen not so widely available here I'd say, very good beer though

Excellent beer, available in Drinkstore.

As a Carlsberg drinker something like Lowenbrau might be to your taste. Never saw it in this country until recently, but my local Molloys have it now. I'd also second Spaten, and even though Erdinger has frightened you off a little, give the Erdinger Dunkel a go, it's a very tasty beer.

• Advertisement

Wurzelbert wrote: »

augustiner edelstoff and augustiner lagerbier hell…and check out rothaus pils and andechser hell…just a few good german beers that come to mind and all available in ireland…and there are many many more...

The 12th lock in castleknock used to do augustiner. Rathaus is in molloys in clonsilla. The off licence is Ashtown (think it's called carry out) has a good range of German beers - including rauch (smoked beer). Not to everyone's taste but interesting to try / experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The off licence is Ashtown (think it's called carry out) has a good dele room of German beers - including rauch (smoked beer). Not to everyone's taste but interesting to try / experiment.

Carry Out in Ashtown closed a while back.

Straylight wrote: »
    Carry Out in Ashtown closed a while back.

That's a bummer, while since I was there. There's a carry out in blanch at the bell pub - no idea of range / stock, molloys in clonsilla carries a decent range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Im a big fan of Hofbrau Original

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you liked the taste of Erdinger, look out for Franzikaner in Aldi(I think) or Schneider Weisse. Bitburger is available in Wetherspoons on draught now as well.

The hangover effect unfortunately still happens if you drink too much alcohol, regardless of where it's from. But if it's beers that you want with no "chemicals" or at least, beers that don't hide their ingredients list, you'll find most Irish craft beer fits the bill. Galway Hooker would be a good place to start if you like Carlsberg. :)

• Advertisement

add fürstenberg lager and pils to my earlier list...as for shops, sweeny’s in glasnevin has a good international (and german) beer selection...and i think w.j. kavanagh’s off licence and pub on dorset street are pretty good, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    add fürstenberg lager and pils to my earlier list...as for shops, sweeny’s in glasnevin has a good international (and german) beer selection...and i think w.j. kavanagh’s off licence and pub on dorset street are pretty good, too...

Cheers guys, so many recommendations, wish i could buy a starter kit, one of each :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you like Carlsberg, then Augustiner Hell, Augustier Edelstoff, Tegernseer Hell and Rothaus Tannenzäpfle are quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers guys, so many recommendations, wish i could buy a starter kit, one of each :D

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/special/gg-sim-buy-15-1/51513140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Schöfferhofer Wheat Beer from Aldi is a superb beer & only €1.79

always happy to promote german beer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you liked the taste of Erdinger, look out for Franzikaner in Aldi(I think) or Schneider Weisse. Bitburger is available in Wetherspoons on draught now as well.

The hangover effect unfortunately still happens if you drink too much alcohol, regardless of where it's from. But if it's beers that you want with no "chemicals" or at least, beers that don't hide their ingredients list, you'll find most Irish craft beer fits the bill. Galway Hooker would be a good place to start if you like Carlsberg. :)

Yes, unfortunately not even German beer will protect you from a hangover; moderation will.

I believe Franziskaner is available in Lidl and Schofferhofer in Aldi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

OP just note that the majority of German beers are 5% or more. Carlsberg is less so keeping the same pace will get you drunker faster.

You don't need to specifically target German beers either. Just look around the craft/foreign section of the off licence and start trying things out.

Local Irish craft beers are growing in popularity, or go for gold with the Belgian selection. Leffe Blonde or Chimay for e.g but drink slowly because 6.5% will knock your socks off if you chug them down.

Enjoy and never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Franziskaner is available in Lidl on special offer at moment 4 bottle for €5.
    Great value for a fiver....I think its much better than the Schofferhofer from Aldi.

As an ex-Carlsberg drinker myself, I've become very partial to German Wheat Beers myself, but as Ranjo suggested, don't discount trying Belgium beers.
    Duvel is a great drink but very strong (8%), Leffe Blonde is available on special from time to time in Lidl and worth a try.

Its funny how things change in a year, normally my christmas beer would be a slab of Carlsberg or something similar. This year, have a case of Franziskaner and some 10% Belgium beers to look forward to :-)

speaking of quality german wheat beer i would also mention weihenstephaner and unertl...have seen both in dublin shops in the past, would think sweeney’s in glasnevin might have them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Rothaus Tannenzapfle is by far my favourite German beer, but you just can't get it in Ireland, and rarely can you find their Pils. It's also very expensive and will continue to be - demand within Germany for it is skyrocketing and the brewery has no intention of increasing production. Next best, for me would be Augustiner. Close to that would be Flensburger pilsner (bitter, but gorgeous). Jever is an interesting one (with added herbs making it more aromatic, but also more bitter), but it's hard to find. Veltins is fine, but it's very light.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sarkozy wrote: »
    Rothaus Tannenzapfle is by far my favourite German beer, but you just can't get it in Ireland, and rarely can you find their Pils.
    They're exactly the same beer. Only the bottle size is different.

sarkozy wrote: »
    [...]and rarely can you find their Pils. It's also very expensive and will continue to be [...]

i am aware of at least three off licence stores in dublin that sell it…seen and bought rothaus pils at sweeney’s, at w.j. kavanagh and that off licence at the corner by the big tesco store in phibsborough…not cheap indeed, yet reasonable by irish standards for imported premium stuff…usually about 3-3.40 per bottle (up from 0.85 or so retail price in germany)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Never seen it in Ireland but Radeberger is the nectar of the gods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Never seen it in Ireland but Radeberger is the nectar of the gods.
    I have, and no it isn't. Unlike Mr Kipling, Dr Oetker doesn't make exceedingly good anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

BeerNut wrote: »
    I have, and no it isn't. Unlike Mr Kipling, Dr Oetker doesn't make exceedingly good anything.

Ah but have you had it fresh from the brewery at Radeberg :D? So fecking good, I'm not changing my opinion on that one :P

OP was asking for recommendations based on Carlsberg in fairness, and I think Radeberger is a decent lager. I'd prefer stuff from Franconia myself, but still Radeberger has hit the spot on many occasions!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »

They do make Italy's (and quite possibly Europe's) most popular pizza though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Perlenbacher is the way to go, ye just can't beat the taste of this beautiful beer. You want good pils beer, here ye go. Quality at it's best. In Lidl stores €7.29 the last I checked for 6 500ml bottles.

Perlenbacher_zps5ceac48c.png~original

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Spaten is the one you should go for. Aldi. 1.79.

If you have the balls pick up just 1 Aldi Irish Pale Ale.

It's nicer than Galway Hooker and half the price.

• Advertisement

Another one is früh kölsch

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/fruh-kolsch

Molloys do this

Advertisement