Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Alot of Americans keep generators and bread is easy to make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What flesh ? that his real name is Theodore I'd hardly call that character development lol .

The rationalization for the olympian zombies has been covered already in this thread by myself and others (basically newish zombie = fast, old badly decomposed zombie = slow) , my issue this episode is the lack of explanation for the luxuries like hot water, fresh bread and the relative unscathedness of Hershels farm , but hopefully this will be covered in the next ep .

Well obviously some characters are getting more attention than others, but T-dog's conversation with Dale last week went some way in rounding him off a little. He's still the weak link character wise, but there's clearly some efforts being made here.

Well tbh, just because it was covered in the thread doesn't make the zombies; speed still applicable. By your own logic the zombies should be slower given the time passed since Armageddon; they should resemble the bicycle girl from episode 1 of the first series, instead of the joggers from last night's story. It's not a major thing by any stretch, it just shows a slight inconsistency in the writing.

As for the farm, well what's the problem? They'd have their own generator - most remote American houses would do - and bread's not hard to make. Hershel himself said their remoteness kept them safe when things went South.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i havnt seen the latest episode yet but the general consensus seems to be very good and best episode of season 2 if not since pilot season 1? if all you very critical people think its good, i'll probably think it was absolutely amazing :p

Even though i havnt seen it, somebody on a different forum not boards spoiled it for me by not using spoiler tags and i found out shane sacrficed otis. does anyone think otis may have lived seeing as he lives so much longer in the comics. can somebody who saw the show tell me if you see otis actually being eaten by the zombies after shane shot him? if not i'll hold out hope he may some how lived. does anyone remember the character jacqui who commit suicide in cdc, well look what she said in an interview a while ago.
    From an interview with Jeryl Prescott Sales (Jaqui) :

If the explosive finale of AMC's The Walking Dead left you wondering if Jaqui makes it out alive, Jeryl Prescott Sales says there's a little hint in the first season. "The DVD drops March 8, and if you watch Episode Six over and over and over again, you might discover something," she teases. As for Season 2, Prescott Sales says, "I think it is going to go further into the human dilemma, what these people have to deal with day to day — life and love and stress and losing people they care about and the struggle to survive. I also think they're going to see Michonne, the figure from the comic book that everyone's waiting to see."

went on to imbd walking dead season 2 cast and it shows how many episodes each cast member has been or is signed up for, and the guy who plays otis is signed up for 6 episodes! so could i be right, i hope hes alive thatd be so cool. my verdict,otis lived,got out of school after hiding and tending to wounds, eventually gets back, tells everyone what shane did,hershel throws them off farm,everyone hates shane.shane leaves group maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

bb1234567 wrote: »
    went on to imbd walking dead season 2 cast and it shows how many episodes each cast member has been or is signed up for, and the guy who plays otis is signed up for 6 episodes! so could i be right, i hope hes alive thatd be so cool. my verdict,otis lived,got out of school after hiding and tending to wounds, eventually gets back, tells everyone what shane did,hershel throws them off farm,everyone hates shane.shane leaves group maybe?

Have you even watched the episode?

He got eaten alive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Unless its about future episodes or comics,lose the spoiler tags people. Otis clearly was eaten alive,he's dead! If he was to come back it would be as a zombie and would be no threat to Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well obviously some characters are getting more attention than others, but T-dog's conversation with Dale last week went some way in rounding him off a little. He's still the weak link character wise, but there's clearly some efforts being made here.

Well tbh, just because it was covered in the thread doesn't make the zombies; speed still applicable. By your own logic the zombies should be slower given the time passed since Armageddon; they should resemble the bicycle girl from episode 1 of the first series, instead of the joggers from last night's story. It's not a major thing by any stretch, it just shows a slight inconsistency in the writing.

As for the farm, well what's the problem? They'd have their own generator - most remote American houses would do - and bread's not hard to make. Hershel himself said their remoteness kept them safe when things went South.

The whole of america would not have been overrun at the same time the spread would have ebbed and flowed depending on population density ,Otis mentioned that that Fema station only got overrun a few weeks ago so these could be fresher zombies then bicycle girl , if you want to rationalize .

I'll take yours and Ryoishins point on the power and bread issue tho .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

tvnutz wrote: »
    Unless its about future episodes or comics,lose the spoiler tags people. Otis clearly was eaten alive,he's dead! If he was to come back it would be as a zombie and would be no threat to Shane.
    I wonder though if someone spots a gunshot wound on zombie Otis, that could tip them off that something isn't right with Shane's version of events. Probably unlikely to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

shanes a d1ck, not only did he leave otis for dead, but he used up all the hot water to:D

another very good episode, all we need now if for darly and andrea to find sophia, and they can all get to hershals farm and figure out what to do next,

i wonder if andrea and shane are still gonna leave together or what, shes gonna be in a for some surprise when they get into trouble:D,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Alot of american people on my facebook are always going on about how they ve stocked up on oil, food, water for the hurricance season etc.

I wonder if they ll go down the barn route in the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why the hell would shane shoot otis in the leg? shoot him in the head ffs

killing someone to make your own escape is pretty bad, but it's something most people could understand.. but shooting him in the leg so he can be torn to shreds while still alive? that's just out and out evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well they're primarily interested in the living so if Otis was dead they might be inclined to ignore him and keep after Shane. Plus, every second Otis is fighting them and distracting them is another few steps closer to safety for Shane. At any rate – if theres any doubt as to how the zombies would react then I'd probably do the same and just slow him down rather than kill him outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ah now folks, lay off the "Lazy writing re: fast zombies" idea. Faster Zombies, whether illogical or otherwise create a bigger threat to the survivors! Therefore, i say keep them, and "Let them eat Cast"

While I still think the Rapist Shane scene was terrible, I actually like what we learned in this episode about him. I haven't read the comics, don't know how important Otis was in them, so I guessed what the outcome of their return trip was going to be. Agreed, a little horrible to shoot him in the leg, but maybe he thought a fat man screaming on the ground would me more appealing to the hungry schoolkids!

They need to find the "girl"... It's just reaching the point where they have to question how likely are they to find her if they haven't already, regardless of if she's shacked up somewhere safe or not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Just watched S2 E2 and this is getting as bad as Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just got through watching episode 3

have to admit, the first episode was fairly dull and episode two -while giving good time to daryl and theodore - felt more like a two parter if anything.

but episode 3 really made up for it.

one of the things i like about the comics is how having to adapt to this new world status quo makes people do things they'd hate themselves for.

and shane certainly did this.

if it does decide to track the comics - at least to a degree - he wont be the only one put in a situation like that and it bodes well for the series.

no matter what else you can say that last few minutes was gripping telly.

i just hope they dont lose the momentum theyve got now.

the scenes at the school were very well done and its probably the closest to an old school horror the show has come so far. that scene with otis could be in dead set or shaun of the dead and i agree with others, shane did it so otis would be alive and making as much noise as possible, for as long as possible, to cover his escape.

the great thing is as others have said otis lasted alot longer in the comics so were now in "anyone can buy it " territory.

looking forward to episode 4 .

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that was definitely the most interesting thing to happen in the show so far this season, people being dicks is far more watchable than being super nice and noble to everyone all the time, more of the do anything to save your own ass acts of selfishness please writers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Shane shooting yer man was utterly predicable, i called it early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Shane shooting yer man was utterly predicable, i called it early on.
    ditto, no surprise at all from the minute he got back alone.

i'm actually really enjoying the rest of the show a lot, all the character interactions and how they deal with each situation and i just don't understand why people are giving it such a hard time all the time and i'd love to know what totally awesome and groundbreaking shows everyone else is watching that they are holding it to such lofty standards.

vibe666 wrote: »

i'm actually really enjoying the rest of the show a lot, all the character interactions and how they deal with each situation and i just don't understand why people are giving it such a hard time all the time and i'd love to know what totally awesome and groundbreaking shows everyone else is watching that they are holding it to such lofty standards.

finally someone isnt horribly overly critical! what is everyone comparing it too, it such a good show i love it!!give it a chance guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Well I have to admit I didn't see it coming, and I thought it was a great way to end the episode.

Best show on Television

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'd understand the criticism if it was from fans of the graphic novel, but from what i understand it's been pretty faithful to those and the criticism seems to be coming from regular tv show watching commenter's rather than die hard comic fans upset that they've ruined the franchise.

if people want non-stop zombie action then there's plenty of movies out there that cover that side of things, the reason i like TWD so much is because it deals more with the long term aspects of survival in a post-zombie invasion world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Are those zombies on speed?....they are running all over the place, fastest zombies i've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

This was the best episode of the series since season 1 premiere.When I first saw the ads for this show I was blown away.I thought it would be a 28 days later type series in that the premise is ridiculous but the characters act like real people.In other words they act rationally most of the time although they still make some terrible decisions.Instead it is more like 28 weeks later.The whole cast with the exception of daryl (who shows relentless good sense and is predictably ignored) act too dumb to live.

However I love zombie films and the show is visually stunning and is still entertaining and occasionally funny.I do think that the show has gotten better in the second season but as always there are massive plotholes- Hershels farm being the biggest.Does the farm have some sort of immunity from the zombie apocalypse?.2 months in why are all the windows not boarded and the whole area surrounded with barbed wire.Even if they have a generator etc. they should be only using the bare minimum of electricity as any trip to the gas station will be fairly fraught with peril from here on out.They don,t seem to have any organised system for keeping watch,how has the horse not attracted zombies etc, etc.The way the chick went did you close the gate really pissed me off.Why didn,t the military think of that!!

I,m not buying that they are ok because they are isolated.The survivor camp up by the lake was even more isolated and a horde found them.They are close to the highway of death and a school overwhelmed by zombies and the surrounding woods are also pretty infested.It like the writers have just decided lets give them a safe haven here while we work through the "will carl survive" storyline - but did nothing to really explain why it should be safe.It s dissappointing because we are finally seeing some good writing.The whole conversation about whether carl would be better off dead was plausible.(yes by the way deer or no deer).The Shane move was excellent-its not that he killed him that was coldblooded-it was the way he went about it.It was realistic about the way some people will act when they are cornered.

I think its been pretty well signposted that hershel is a bit nuttier than his reasonable persona has yet shown."Mankinds been fighting disease forever " had hints of the officer from 28 days saying "people killing people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

Great show and the shane story was brilliant as it wasn't the usual everyone's good and honourable POV. Agree that there seems to be no reason for their safe haven - lights blazing/cars in and out - seriously!

As for
    The survivor camp up by the lake was even more isolated and a horde found them.
    - the horde were actually driven to them by merle.

Whoops - maybe that was just an assumption?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I love Walking Dead, only stumbling across this thread now! :)

That being said, season 2 episode 3 was the weakest of all the series to date. I had so many plot issues with it. Namely:

* Otis definitely would have fit through the window.
    * They bought could have run for the locker room door
    * If you have only 4/5 bullets left, why are you taking random effortless pot shots at zombies that are a good bit away. They didnt even hit the ones in the front row!
    * both of them would have made it to the car

I'm worried that they are taking a slippery slope with Shane and that his character is becoming a caricature thus avoiding intelligent character development.

They also havent really explained properly how the house is safe from zombies bar one mention of "did you close the gate behind you" to Glenn.

That aside, its still a great show. Really liked episode 1 of season 2 which is probably the best thing I have seen on tv or in the movies this year.

jonsnow wrote: »
    This was the best episode of the series since season 1 premiere.When I first saw the ads for this show I was blown away.I thought it would be a 28 days later type series in that the premise is ridiculous but the characters act like real people.In other words they act rationally most of the time although they still make some terrible decisions.Instead it is more like 28 weeks later.The whole cast with the exception of daryl (who shows relentless good sense and is predictably ignored) act too dumb to live.

However I love zombie films and the show is visually stunning and is still entertaining and occasionally funny.I do think that the show has gotten better in the second season but as always there are massive plotholes- Hershels farm being the biggest.Does the farm have some sort of immunity from the zombie apocalypse?.2 months in why are all the windows not boarded and the whole area surrounded with barbed wire.Even if they have a generator etc. they should be only using the bare minimum of electricity as any trip to the gas station will be fairly fraught with peril from here on out.They don,t seem to have any organised system for keeping watch,how has the horse not attracted zombies etc, etc.The way the chick went did you close the gate really pissed me off.Why didn,t the military think of that!!

I,m not buying that they are ok because they are isolated.The survivor camp up by the lake was even more isolated and a horde found them.They are close to the highway of death and a school overwhelmed by zombies and the surrounding woods are also pretty infested.It like the writers have just decided lets give them a safe haven here while we work through the "will carl survive" storyline - but did nothing to really explain why it should be safe.It s dissappointing because we are finally seeing some good writing.The whole conversation about whether carl would be better off dead was plausible.(yes by the way deer or no deer).The Shane move was excellent-its not that he killed him that was coldblooded-it was the way he went about it.It was realistic about the way some people will act when they are cornered.

I think its been pretty well signposted that hershel is a bit nuttier than his reasonable persona has yet shown."Mankinds been fighting disease forever " had hints of the officer from 28 days saying "people killing people"

youll find that zombies do and have wandered up to the greene family home and comic spoiler
    hershel doesnt kill them as he believes there still human and locks the zombies up in the barn as hes waiting for a cure to be found so he can cure all the people.in one issue the barn door brakes and dozens and dozens of zombies escape the barn and kill 2 of his children, he sees that zombies really arent human and the group kill all of the zombies.
    also the farm is much more isolated than the atlanta survivor camp, the farm is nowhere near a city infested with millions of zombies. and also its implied that it was merle who stole the truck and led the zombies back to the camp as revenge on the other camp members.
    ''2 months in why are all the windows not boarded and the whole area surrounded with barbed wire.Even if they have a generator etc. they should be only using the bare minimum of electricity as any trip to the gas station will be fairly fraught with peril from here on out.''
    ye i agree with you on that.

faceman wrote: »
    I love Walking Dead, only stumbling across this thread now! :)

That being said, season 2 episode 3 was the weakest of all the series to date. I had so many plot issues with it. Namely:

* Otis definitely would have fit through the window.
    * They bought could have run for the locker room door
    * If you have only 4/5 bullets left, why are you taking random effortless pot shots at zombies that are a good bit away. They didnt even hit the ones in the front row!
    * both of them would have made it to the car

I'm worried that they are taking a slippery slope with Shane and that his character is becoming a caricature thus avoiding intelligent character development.

They also havent really explained properly how the house is safe from zombies bar one mention of "did you close the gate behind you" to Glenn.

That aside, its still a great show. Really liked episode 1 of season 2 which is probably the best thing I have seen on tv or in the movies this year.
    you will see later on in the show(if it sticks to the comics that is) how the greene family deal with zombies.
    spoiler if you havnt read cmoics
    when they see a zombie they catch it and lock it up in the barn with the dozens of other zombies,hershel doesnt kill them as he believes there still human. one day the barn door breaks though and all the zombies escape and 2 of his children are killed, he gets angry and sees zombies are not human and the group kills are the remaining zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont mind the show being drama focused with the zombies as a catalyst, its just that the drama is horribly written and melodramatic, its about as a subtle as a sledgehammer. like when they came across the CDC in season 1, and there was a massive light shining from inside the door, yes, salvation is in here, we get it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

You don't really need to go that far to see why people's standards are so high. AMC's other two big shows, Breaking Bad and Mad Men, are leagues ahead of this. Best things on TV atm. Yet TWD trumps both of them in ratings.

Advertisement