Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CADETSHIPS 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

asking questions is research.

Research is research. Asking questions is getting someone else to do the research for you.
    Asking questions on a bulletin board that could be just as easily answered by reading the info for canditates only a few clicks of a mouse away is pure laziness, and does not bode well for the future leaders of men and women.
    Not even going to get into another keyboard war...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blondie.paula

How did everyone get on at the psychometric tests today? I didn't get the numerical reasoning finished but apart from that I thought it was ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How did everyone get on at the psychometric tests today? I didn't get the numerical reasoning finished but apart from that I thought it was ok :)

Slept lousy, was definitely not at the top of my game, didn't finish the numerical reasoning (got to 31) but was happy with what I did do. The verbal reasoning, there were some tough passages. Job sim was fine though. Good test in that one. Hopefully got through fine and move on to the next stage in July now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I've my Air Corp PT on Thursday morning.

Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I thought the numerical test was poxy hard. Only got 22 questions answered, the rest was eeny meeny miny moe dash in the last few seconds.

Verbal was ok. Job sims went ok as far as my interpretation of what was the right answer.

But you never know if they are looking for you to be honest eg. "yes I did look at the test answers that were in the bin" or what ideological answer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I thought the numerical test was poxy hard. Only got 22 questions answered, the rest was eeny meeny miny moe dash in the last few seconds.

Verbal was ok. Job sims went ok as far as my interpretation of what was the right answer.

But you never know if they are looking for you to be honest eg. "yes I did look at the test answers that were in the bin" or what ideological answer is.

I thought the numerical was okay for the most part. Verbal was probably a bit tougher for me, but I hadn't had a decent night's sleep, so that's always going to be harder. As to the job sim, I was pretty honest. For that, wasn't going to hang myself, but wasn't going to be intentionally dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ronsonmac

In regards to the Job Simulation the whole "answer as honestly as possible" is a bit misleading i think. A better description of what approach to take would be choose the answer which you feel is the most honest. Being a cadet and an officer means having a lot of personal integrity and there is a constant theme of truth, loyalty and honesty in the army as a leader. That is the kind of mind set you need to have. In that example which another person gave above about seeing the answers of a test in a bin while you where walking where you should not have been is a good one. Most people would not see any problem with sneaking a look and maybe even sharing the answers with everyone in your class but the answer with the highest marks is the one in which you take the document to your supervisor admit you seen some answers and that you were breaking the rules being in an unauthorised area. Its all about Honesty.

Has anyone done the Air Corp PT yet. Just a quick question - do they stop you after 20 push ups and 20 sit ups? I can do a lot more but just wondering really.

cabla wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Air Corp PT yet. Just a quick question - do they stop you after 20 push ups and 20 sit ups? I can do a lot more but just wondering really.

Havent done the fitness test for the Air Corps but for the army they do stop you as soon as you hit 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

So how did anyone get on who did the Air Corps PT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I wear contacts and glasses as of the last few months , would this cause me any problems in my application for the army ?

I completed my fitness test without any problems last week.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It depends what your eyesight is like.

It depends what your eyesight is like.

Pretty bad without the contacts tbh !

Does anyone have any idea how many people applied for the cadetships this year, across the army, navy and air corps??

Got my acceptance e-mail to stage 2 yesterday. Delighted :D Does anyone know how many applied, or how many sat stage 1?

Also, any information about or tips on stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Are many privates selected as cadets ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Got my acceptance e-mail to stage 2 yesterday. Delighted :D Does anyone know how many applied, or how many sat stage 1?

Also, any information about or tips on stage 2?

I don't know how many applied but there are still leaving certs like me due to do the PT on the 26th of June so there'll probably be no figures until after that date.

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    I don't know how many applied but there are still leaving certs like me due to do the PT on the 26th of June so there'll probably be no figures until after that date.

I'm in leaving cert as well. Are you talking about the air corps??? I'm talking about the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Thors Hammer

My advice would be to get training for the fitness test. Quite a few people were caught out by the push ups and the run last year. Its not something you will be able to show up on the day and complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 superbaby88

Hello all, this is my second year going for the cadets, lost out in stage 2 last year at the group assessment. This year I'm through to stage 2 again but have a slight problem. I broke my thumb in a football match 3 weeks ago and the cast will still be on come stage 2. It won't affect the run but may affect the push ups, I could do the plank if they wanted for a few mins, but have any of you seen somebody excused for push-ups before...

• Advertisement

Hello all, this is my second year going for the cadets, lost out in stage 2 last year at the group assessment. This year I'm through to stage 2 again but have a slight problem. I broke my thumb in a football match 3 weeks ago and the cast will still be on come stage 2. It won't affect the run but may affect the push ups, I could do the plank if they wanted for a few mins, but have any of you seen somebody excused for push-ups before...

Hi there,

As far as I know if you don't complete the fitness test on the day you will not be allowed to progress. There is a strict 'no re-test' policy also. But there are certain medical circumstances in which they will allow you some scope to become fit at a later date but I don't know if that applies to the fitness test. You should call competitions section on Monday and ask their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Do you not need a letter from your own GP, stamped and signed, saying you are fit and able to partake in the test?

If this is the case your doctor won't sign the letter in your case I'd say.

Cheers for replies. It's a bit awkward looking but I can manage 20 press-ups on my knuckles. Will send an e-mail to them anyways.

Arrah local womanizer, will ya shtop, them letters are for fitness, health issues not a silly cast man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Arrah local womanizer, will ya shtop, them letters are for fitness, health issues not a silly cast man.

Well, the letter is to state are you fit and able to perform the fitness test. Should a doctor sign off on you and you further damage your hand while in the process of the push ups they leave themselves open to plenty of hassle.

And likewise with the Army, if anything will put them at risk legally you can be sure they won't go near it.

And last time I check, anything to do with your body is a health issue ;)

Just don't be surprised to get to the fitness centre and to be shown the gate straight away, they have done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

No one found out how many applied for the Army cadetship competition yet no?

I'd say you're talking about over 2000 anyway. I haven't seen any newspaper articles like those relating to general enlistment, which is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Yeah it was about 1800 last from what I remember (don't quote me on that), so its probably something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

No one found out how many applied for the Army cadetship competition yet no?

I've been hearing figures of 3000 being bandied about. Again tis all whispers.

I was hearing it was in the region on 7000 lads ! Didn't 10000 apply last time round ?

Anyone a bit puzzled by the maths for test next week ?

• Advertisement

I was hearing it was in the region on 7000 lads ! Didn't 10000 apply last time round ?

Aren't they taking 300 spread over the week, so it seems fairly reasonable?

Aren't they taking 300 spread over the week, so it seems fairly reasonable?

You mean taking on 300 over the 3 days for the test or actually employing 300 already ?

If its the test , only 300 have made it through ?

You mean taking on 300 over the 3 days for the test or actually employing 300 already ?

Yeah 300 made it through to stage two, so they run it over the course of a week in various groups. They will take about 100 for the final interview stage and the class will be 21 in size if I remember correctly.

Yeah 300 made it through to stage two, so they run it over the course of a week in various groups. They will take about 100 for the final interview stage and the class will be 21 in size if I remember correctly.

Only 300 have made it through ! I'm actually shocked. I taught thousands applied and thousands would of made it through too stage 2 aswell considering the fitness test is pretty basic.

If only 100 make it through to the interview stage , how many are the army actually looking to employ ? I heard they were taking on 500 between all the barracks.

Cheers for the info :)

Only 300 have made it through ! I'm actually shocked. I taught thousands applied and thousands would of made it through too stage 2 aswell considering the fitness test is pretty basic.

If only 100 make it through to the interview stage , how many are the army actually looking to employ ? I heard they were taking on 500 between all the barracks.

I'd say you are thinking of the general enlistment: they will be taking on 500.

I was talking about the Cadetship competition and they will take 21.

I'd say you are thinking of the general enlistment: they will be taking on 500.

I was talking about the Cadetship competition and they will take 21.

Bare with me , I'm a bit confused now :). What is the actual difference between the general enlistment and the cadetship competition ?

When I applied I taught I entered the competition for a cadetship through the army ?

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

When I applied I taught I entered the competition for a cadetship through the army ?

Cheers

Who said you didn't?

Bare with me , I'm a bit confused now :). What is the actual difference between the general enlistment and the cadetship competition ?

Cheers
    All your emails from competitions section should clearly say cadetship competition 2012 at the top. your email for stage two should give you a breakdown of numbers etc.

Cheers

This is the Cadet thread. There is a huge difference between the cadetship competition and general enlistment. You should really do some research on it especially if your considering the army as a career.

• Advertisement

ye i really should, cheers sorry for the mix up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Connie Bah

Hey guys. I'm just after reading through some of these threads from the past few years and have seen plenty discussion on the group assessment but I still don't have any real idea on what exactly to expect when it comes to this part of the testing. Can anyone who's been through the process before provide a bit of insight into how the group testing is carried out, and what is exactly is expected of us? Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everyone next week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

feeney92 wrote: »
    What will happen is, you will be divided into groups of about 5/6. you will each be given a currently serving officer to evaluate you. you sit in a room around a table with the rest of the group. then they will give you a scenarios such as (when I did mine) you have to protect refugees from an attacking army somewhere in africa.

then they give you a map of the locations, outposts,surrounding terrain and nearest re-inforcements etc.then as a group you discus your best method of approach and how you would successfully carry out the mission.

you are timed on this and its not really about your resulting plan as such its more about how you interact with the others, your communication skills and how you treat other peoples opinions. a little tip for this is to be the person who is doing the timekeeping. also write down some notes aswell.

when this is done you nominate between you 1 person to stand up and read out the plan to the officers.again this is to test who is good at public speaking and confident.

If I have left anything out i hope somebody corrects me :D

Feeney92

Thanks for the reply man. Few more quick questions..
    • Why would you recommend doing the timekeeping?
    • Is the whole discussion being overlooked by an officer?
    • Is this the only element of the group testing?
    • What happens if everyone is eager to present the plan? Rock/paper/scissors?

Regarding the rest of the day;
    • For the press ups and sit-ups, is there any point doing more than the required twenty, or would it leave a good impression if you did a good bit more?
    • If you performed excellent in the fitness/strength/flexibility testing, can that make up for a mediocre performance in the group assessment, or is it simply marked 50/50?
    • As it's an overnight stay, what can we expect the next day? Am I going to be woken at the crack off dawn by some bat**** insane drill sergeant dumping a bucket of ice-cold water over me? (I'm aware this won't happen, but you know..)
    • Are we being watched closely for the duration of our stay? How we interact with the others, our eagerness to converse with other officers, etc.
    • Are we given free time to wander around the barracks?
    • The 2.4 km run, is that done on a treadmill or a set route?

I've a lot more questions, but none are coming to mind right now.. I appreciate you taking time out to answer me mate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Connie Bah wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply man. Few more quick questions..
    • Why would you recommend doing the timekeeping?
    • Is the whole discussion being overlooked by an officer?
    • Is this the only element of the group testing?
    • What happens if everyone is eager to present the plan? Rock/paper/scissors?
    • Doing the timekeeping will show some initiative, responsibility and leadership.
    • There is an officer assigned to each candidate (watching from across the room) and one officer overlooking the whole discussion.
    • Yes, this is the only element of the group testing.
    • If everyone is eager to present the plan, you will get a good opportunity to show your teamwork and communication skills in deciding who should speak.

Connie Bah wrote: »
    Regarding the rest of the day;
    • For the press ups and sit-ups, is there any point doing more than the required twenty, or would it leave a good impression if you did a good bit more?
    • If you performed excellent in the fitness/strength/flexibility testing, can that make up for a mediocre performance in the group assessment, or is it simply marked 50/50?
    • As it's an overnight stay, what can we expect the next day? Am I going to be woken at the crack off dawn by some bat**** insane drill sergeant dumping a bucket of ice-cold water over me? (I'm aware this won't happen, but you know..)
    • Are we being watched closely for the duration of our stay? How we interact with the others, our eagerness to converse with other officers, etc.
    • Are we given free time to wander around the barracks?
    • The 2.4 km run, is that done on a treadmill or a set route?

I've a lot more questions, but none are coming to mind right now.. I appreciate you taking time out to answer me mate :)
    • You can do as many press ups and sit ups as you like but it's pass/fail so there's really no need to do any more. There are no more marks for it.
    • Again, the fitness test is pass/fail. You have to pass to go on to the group assessment. In effect, the group assessment is like the next stage and your performance in it is assessed on it's own merits.
    • The next morning is quite relaxed, nothing to worry about. You'll get up, have breakfast and then attend another talk by an officer before leaving.
    • You're not being watched like a hawk for the whole duration. They assess you during the assessments. Don't worry, it's not like going into big brother.
    • There will be some free time in the evening to mix with the current cadets.
    • The 2.4 km run, is on a set route, 1.2km on a straight road, around a cone and back to the start.

Good look and try to enjoy yourself, it will be a good experience regardless of how you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Safety

Hi everyone, had the preliminary interview today for the Air Corps and thought it had gone well. The technical qs were tricky but when I answered them and particularly when I answered one and expanded on it the interviewer admitted that they had no further knowledge of the question they had ask. But one hour after the interview finished I recieved an email stating I was unsuccessful. I got the impression the jobs vacant have been selected already. As in it was who you know to get in there. I have just graduated with a level 8 degree and had thought I would have gone further in the competition. Has anyone else experienced this??

• Advertisement

Safety wrote: »

Hi everyone, had the preliminary interview today for the Air Corps and thought it had gone well. The technical qs were tricky but when I answered them and particularly when I answered one and expanded on it the interviewer admitted that they had no further knowledge of the question they had ask. But one hour after the interview finished I recieved an email stating I was unsuccessful. I got the impression the jobs vacant have been selected already. As in it was who you know to get in there. I have just graduated with a level 8 degree and had thought I would have gone further in the competition. Has anyone else experienced this??

To be honest, rumours have been rife for years that becoming a military officer in this country is a 'who you know' type of job. I've applied previously to the army and felt that I should have done better, considering my qualifications. I've spoken to a number of officers and some say it is a strict/no favouritism process and some say it does no harm to have somebody you know in there. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

The trouble is some officers who get in may not even be aware that somebody has put in a word, and they strongly defend the process as being based on merit because they believe they got in under their own merit. But I do believe there is a proportion of every cadet class that gets in under their own merits.

Also, the Air corps is even more competitive than the army or navy as they only have a hanful of positions every year.

If it is done, it's done very discreetly and hard to root out. You would imagine the initial aptitude testing has reduced the capacity for it but who really knows!

• Doing the timekeeping will show some initiative, responsibility and leadership.
    • There is an officer assigned to each candidate (watching from across the room) and one officer overlooking the whole discussion.
    • Yes, this is the only element of the group testing.
    • If everyone is eager to present the plan, you will get a good opportunity to show your teamwork and communication skills in deciding who should speak.

• You can do as many press ups and sit ups as you like but it's pass/fail so there's really no need to do any more. There are no more marks for it.
    • Again, the fitness test is pass/fail. You have to pass to go on to the group assessment. In effect, the group assessment is like the next stage and your performance in it is assessed on it's own merits.
    • The next morning is quite relaxed, nothing to worry about. You'll get up, have breakfast and then attend another talk by an officer before leaving.
    • You're not being watched like a hawk for the whole duration. They assess you during the assessments. Don't worry, it's not like going into big brother.
    • There will be some free time in the evening to mix with the current cadets.
    • The 2.4 km run, is on a set route, 1.2km on a straight road, around a cone and back to the start.

Good look and try to enjoy yourself, it will be a good experience regardless of how you do.

Cheers for the reply mate. I'm heading up tomorrow for it, so the excitement is building. Will let you know how I get on as soon as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hanhig

Anybody have any advice that hasn't been mentioned yet for Stage 2 of the Naval Service competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Safety wrote: »

First of all I am sure the vacancies are not already filled, as that would be highly illegal! I'm sure they are conducting hundreds of interviews, would they really waste their time? From my (unsuccessful) experience of the process, the interview is purely competency based. Meaning your level 8 degree means zero if you cant show in the interview how it has helped you obtain those qualities. It sounds like you did well in the technical side of things. Maybe you didn't perform as well in the other 3 competencies? And as said before, the competition for the Air Corps competition of fierce.

My advice would be to accept failure, I know it's hard. Stop blaming others for your lack of success and look critically upon your own performance, see what you can improve on and apply again next year. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blackjack21

hi all, about stage 2 of the navy cadetship, put in for operational and engineering, but recently received notice that i am eligible for the operational cadetship but not for the engineering, does anyone know how the requirements are different?

• Advertisement
Advertisement