Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden Moths 2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Heart & Dart Agrotis exclamationis in the house today.
    092F10C17D354D07A465796979861C3E-0000371741-0003598626-00640L-F3BBC0266E064595989D49C94E7DDBA5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

thebishop wrote: »
    Which Kitten is this.Any idea?

I'm no expert and only googling but it looks more like a sallow kitten on account of its dark regular front wingbar and irregular less prominent rear wingbar. The poplar kitten is less common and would have a more prominent black outline at the rear of the wingbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Thanks, That's what I was thinking it was too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Spotted my first Swallow-tailed Moth of the year fluttering around my flower beds last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

thyme wrote: »
    Yellow Shell, I think.
    312605.jpg
    312608.jpg

That is a Yellow Shell allright.
    thebishop wrote: »
    Which Kitten is this.Any idea?

+1 for Sallow Kitten (the other species are very rare but always good to check!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Came across this small moth today on grasses/ vegetation near pond edge
    Anyone have an ID for it ?
    Thanks

Brown China-mark. Disturbed during daylight hours in pond-side vegetation is very typical for sighting this species.

17 species in the trap this morning:

-Green Silver-lines (1)
    -Common Emerald (1)
    -Dunbar (2)
    -Mottled Beauty (1)
    -Spruce Carpet (1)
    -Large Y Underwing (2)
    -Fan-foot (5)
    -Heart n Dart (8)
    -Grey Arches (1)
    -Uncertain (1)
    -Burnished Brass (1)
    -Snout (1)
    -Udea olivalis (1)
    -Double Dart (1)
    -Dark Arches (1)
    -Bright-line Brown Eye (1)
    -Small FF Wave (1)

Also had the first record of Six-spot Burnet in the garden yesterday afternoon - no idea where it came from as I am pretty sure the nearest population is several k's away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I just saw a Hummingbird hawk-moth in my garden this evening.Amazing looking creatures!:)
    This was the first one I've seen in several years.
    How common are they becoming,or have I just been extremely lucky to see them?

• Advertisement

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I just saw a Hummingbird hawk-moth in my garden this evening.Amazing looking creatures!:)
    This was the first one I've seen in several years.
    How common are they becoming,or have I just been extremely lucky to see them?

A very nice find! They are annual migrants in variable numbers to Ireland from southern Europe. July and August are the best months to find them here.

I was literally driving into the driveway when I saw this thing whizzing about the perennials in the garden.I watched it for a minute or so and then decided to get the camera,but alas,when I returned it had gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Would anyone know what this beauty is?

It's a Garden Tiger Moth(Arctia caja),and you're right,it is a beauty!

This may be a Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar,but I'm not sure?I photographed this last week.The forum's resident moth experts may be able to confirm this?

798C17197F5C4364931819D3A0FB65F6-0000372749-0003611119-01024L-A01D8C860A464004A1189D982AFD8076.jpg

• Advertisement

Got my annual Yellow-tail last night - I always catch one, once a year:D

Found this moth on uncultivated damp grassland type habitat today. I have been looking through the online guides and nearest I can see is Common Wave, pattern seems very fresh compared to pictures online though. Would be glad of confirmation of which species this is ?

Found this moth on uncultivated damp grassland type habitat today. I have been looking through the online guides and nearest I can see is Common Wave, pattern seems very fresh compared to pictures online though. Would be glad of confirmation of which species this is ?

It is a micro moth - Beautiful China Mark.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1350

Caught a Dark Spinach last night, first Co Dublin record since at least the 90's according to the distribution map and nationally scarce.

E72FF7E6844441F19FB3AB2FB30171A5-0000318105-0003615190-00500L-8FB5F136A1A44D57A79173DE3A8503A1.jpg

Caught a Dark Spinach last night, first Co Dublin record since at least the 90's according to the distribution map and nationally scarce.

Sorry to burst your bubble - I caught several on Rockabill a few years ago. Still a fantastic record though. Is there some Tree Mallow growing near your trap location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Had my first goat moth tonight. hope its still photogenic in the morning.
    IMG_9839.jpg

From last night:

-Acleris forsskleana (1)
    -Delplanquiea dilutella (1)
    -Scalloped Oak (2)
    -Swallow-tailed Moth (1)
    -Dun-bar (3)
    -August Thorn (1)
    -Early Thorn (1)
    -Willow Beauty (3)
    -Broad-bordered YU (1 female)
    -Large YU (3)
    -Common Rustic (2)
    -Riband Wave (5)
    -Bright-line Brown Eye (2)
    -Smoky Wainscot (1)
    -Common Footman (2)
    -Four-spotted Footman (1 male)
    -Heart & Dart (4)
    -Udea lutealis (1)
    -Dark Arches (2)
    -Poplar Hawkmoth (2)
    -Fan-foot (1)
    -Light Brown Apple Moth (2)

The Four-spotted Footman (found in the grass beside the trap) and the Delplanquiea are new for the garden.

V_Moth wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble - I caught several on Rockabill a few years ago. Still a fantastic record though. Is there some Tree Mallow growing near your trap location?

Whoops. Forgot that Rockabill is Co Dublin! No idea about Tree Mallow in the area, must have a look.

Yes, there's Tree Mallow in a neighbours garden and out in the railway cutting nearby.

Latticed Heath Moth

8E273C8C09B6443D91E951F1B72BFBE4-0000372749-0003617801-00800L-F039E4F6CAE543E989496CA15C7D2DF9.jpg

CDBFBA010EA8415F930F635C541CC4AF-0000372749-0003617800-00800L-1F70FAAE5E3047B688CE7A11B2CBB583.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

ID please.

17NTHpV.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

The Magpie Abraxas grossulariata

Found this guy in garden shed earlier tonight - in flight it showed orange'ish hue on inner / hind wing close to body ?

Looks like a Large Yellow Underwing.

Looks like a Large Yellow Underwing.

Thanks for the ID help V_Moth , looked up the Large Yellow and the images fit what I had in the shed last night - I did catch glimpses of the orange'ish inner wing when in flight but at rest appeared as per image posted .
    Thanks again !

• Advertisement

Weather permitting, I will have an opportunity to trap on Annagh Head, Belmullet, Co Mayo in a couple of weeks. A low headland with little cover. So can anyone give me advice/opinions on where best to site a trap? Up on the headland or down near the rocky seashore? I've never trapped this type of habitat before and would hate to waste the opportunity with a badly sited trap!

Weather permitting, I will have an opportunity to trap on Annagh Head, Belmullet, Co Mayo in a couple of weeks. A low headland with little cover. So can anyone give me advice/opinions on where best to site a trap? Up on the headland or down near the rocky seashore? I've never trapped this type of habitat before and would hate to waste the opportunity with a badly sited trap!

How about Annagh Marsh and Termoncarragh? They would have a wider range of species than the very exposed headland.

By the way, I would suggest getting in touch with Dave Suddaby (via BirdWatch Ireland) who does some moth trapping locally and may be able to give better advice.

How about Annagh Marsh and Termoncarragh? They would have a wider range of species than the very exposed headland.

By the way, I would suggest getting in touch with Dave Suddaby (via BirdWatch Ireland) who does some moth trapping locally and may be able to give better advice.

Thanks V Moth, but I'll be stuck on the head all night so will trap there (helping with storm petrel ringing).

From last night:

-Riband Wave (Banded) 2
    -Dun-bar (1)
    -Light Brown Apple Moth (1)
    -Small Phoenix (1)
    -Large YU (25)
    -Lesser BBYU (5)
    -Common Rustic (4)
    -Square spot Rustic (1)
    -Willow Beauty (4)
    -Blastobasis adustella (5)
    -The Gothic (1)
    -Copper Underwing (1)
    -Acleris forskleana (1)
    -Heart & Dart (1)

The mix of species is very much that of late summer/early autumn.

Anyone ID this moth that has been turning up indoors frequently these past evenings just at dusk - the camera flash makes it look a bit browner in colour than it actually is - I would describe it as more grey than brown - any ideas ?

Anyone ID this moth that has been turning up indoors frequently these past evenings just at dusk - the camera flash makes it look a bit browner in colour than it actually is - I would describe it as more grey than brown - any ideas ?

It's difficult to tell what it is from the image to be fair.I'm sure you're familiar with and have visited the 'Irish Moths and Butterflies' website already,but if not,here's a link:
    http://www.irishmoths.net/geometridae.html

I've had a quick look there,and can't seem to find anything similar,but you may have better luck.

Flounced Rustic maybe?

Switched on my moth trap early dusk last night and had a visit from a Spotted Flycatcher, think I'm down a lot of micro moths as a result!

A Square-spot Rustic on my garden shed window tonight:

0D95C84295294A65A7F6B07C1EF5C732-0000372749-0003627923-00800L-5A080E82B15C442A8586B5A9878E924F.jpg

• Advertisement

Disturbed this moth earlier today along a pathway - from checking the ID guides it looks something like a Shaded Broad-bar ?
    Can ye moth experts confirm or identify if not this species.
    Many thanks!

It's been confirmed as a Dark Arches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Don't want to open another thread for a basic ID question - but could someone tell me what the species below is? I want to include it on the Rockabill species list for the summer!

BDBD787069D34C66B6C3CDA5F19DF9FA-0000342048-0003649539-00640L-89AE3C7A9AE24ABAB855C46805CA71CC.jpg

A fairly dark Large Yellow Underwing? Was it quite large?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A fairly dark Large Yellow Underwing? Was it quite large?

That looks to be it, thanks!

(Only remembered when you said it that it was yellow underneath!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I just remembered this.
    A few weeks back I was in a city centre shopping centre and there was a moth flapping about the high ceiling in that clumsy mothly way. I watched it for a minute and it eventually flew down lower and lower towards the butchers counter and landed on someones back. No one else seemed to notice. I toyed with the idea of saying something to the woman but not sure what the reactionto a total stranger saying "excuse me but there's a large yellow underwing on your back" might be so I left it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Spotted not in the garden but inside on the wall beside my office door

Can anyone help with an ID please :)
    2DB8251C-C519-4917-93E9-8AB9C11254E1_zpspo01hn0i.jpg

I deposited him/her carefully outside btw

Poplar Hawkmoth - looks like a Him!

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=28

Advertisement