Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Rjd2 wrote: »
    ice bucket challenge

think the german girls, Puig and Stephens were decent, not hugely impressed with Wozniacki and Azarenka though.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4082139/title/wta-stars-take-ice-bucket-challenge

John Isners ice bucket chanllenge is great,. He gets plenty of ice in there, he has the video up on Twitter. Vince Mcmahons is one of the best.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/videos/2014/8/16/6023319/vince-mcmahon-als-ice-bucket-challenge-video

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tomic did it in his pants for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Floppybits wrote: »
    John Isners ice bucket chanllenge is great,. He gets plenty of ice in there, he has the video up on Twitter. Vince Mcmahons is one of the best.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/videos/2014/8/16/6023319/vince-mcmahon-als-ice-bucket-challenge-video

Stephanie's is just amazingly tough. So much ice. :eek:

From tennis, yeah Isners was great, Novak, Federer, Wawrinka all been challenged.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bouchard did an interview with the NY Times, and commented on her former friendship with Laura.
    At times, it is evident how hard Bouchard works to transmute a young woman’s vulnerability into a polished, porcelain-hard surface. For close to a decade, she counted Laura Robson, the British tennis player who outranked her on the tour, as her best friend. At Wimbledon, she was asked if the two were still close. “No, I don’t think so,” she said, unusually undiplomatic. “I’m sure you guys can figure out that one.” In interviews, she often says that the tour is not the place for her to have friends, as if it was a strategic choice. But when I asked her about it, it was clear that, from her point of view at least, the friendship had been pulled out from under her. There was no big blowout, she said. “We were best friends for 10 years, so I don’t think it would have been any one thing.” The friendship dissolved slowly, she said, as she rose in the rankings and finally surpassed Robson, who suffered from repeated injuries. “A true friend would be happy for a true friend’s success,” Bouchard said. “But that’s not what happened.” Her friend just became “distant.”
    Interesting.

^ It's funny, everyone seems to think it was the coaching situation that did it but that suggests otherwise, or at least suggests that Bouchard doesn't think it was solely the coaching thing.

I'm dreading when Robson makes it back on the tour and they actually have to play each other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Dreading it? I can't wait for it :pac:

I'd actually be more inclined to believe Genie's account of things though, tbh. It's important to remember that they were still great friends when it was Laura who was on the ascent, and Genie was stuck down in the low 100's.

^ Depends on where it happens, I suppose, and which media I have to listen to about it. Twitter will have a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Mentioned it in the USO topic, but what the hell. Sorensen and Cluskey both in action today.

James is playing with Kyle Edmund for the next two weeks, a bit of stability with a younger up and coming player might be very good for him, thou their draw seems fairly difficult this week, you never know.

Louk should win his 1st round, but will likely run into Ungur and possibly Hanescu a round later, so don't hold out much hope for him this week, although he is good enough to challenge these guys if he's fully fit and mentally right.

Not sure what any of the younger lads are at this week, Sam Barry's been quiet since the Irish Open, but sitting at a career high of 331 currently which is very promising.

I watched the last few rounds of Winston Salem, and although it's not news anymore, it's such a shame that Janowicz really hasn't tried to improve his match tactics or work on his mental fragility, such potential, but he can lose to anyone on any given day. I actually put a medium bet on Rosol to win, simply off the back of Jerzy probably doing something stupid on big points.

If anyone's interested, both Louk Sorensen and Cluskey advance to the 1/4 finals of their challengers this week. Louk should be in the top 200 by weeks end!

I think it'll be the 1st time we've ever had two lads in the top 200 of singles, and then Cluskey will be still inside the top 200 of dubs.

James lost out in the semi, Louk through to the the semi in his comp also. Not a bad old week for Irish tennis!

Louk has a decent shot at making the final, might run into Troicki there thou, but still it's a very good week for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Multiple sources in China are saying that Li Na will announce her retirement on Friday. Knee injury is a greater concern that first thought.

Will be sad if these rumours are true. I enjoy watching Li play. She's been an amazing ambassador for Chinese and Asian tennis!

Li Na officially announces retirement with immediate effect:
    http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4155316/title/li-na-announces-retirement
    Nice statement! :)

Sad to see her retire. She achieved so much in her career, especially in the last 4 years - reached #2, 4 Grand Slam finals, 2 GS titles. Amazing!! Li's done more for Chinese and Asian tennis in those years than anyone else.

Must have been so hard for her to play in pain. Can't believe she's had 4 knee surgeries!:eek:

Her sense of humour always stood out to me. So funny and witty. I looked forward to her interviews and press conferences.

18 year old Ash Barty has also "retired" from the sport. Seems to have suffered a bit of burn out and has decided to take a step away from it for a while.

Very odd about Barty. I hope there's nothing bad going on in her personal life. I do remember it being mentioned on Tennis Forum that she basically had very little passion for the sport, so perhaps it's that?

Perhaps it's just too much too young. She's been doing more in Doubles than in Singles, success wise and I think there was a lot of pressure being put on her by Australian tennis people, or media.
    It's better to take a break and then come back if you miss it than to risk losing it completely.

Nicky Kyrgios calls time on his season, withdrawing from his last three events. Not sure whether this is a good move or not.
    http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/09/kyrgios-emotionally-spent-withdraws-indoor-events/52831/#.VB755fldXIO

Azarenka also calls time on her season, withdrawing from Wuhan and every remaining event. I had kinda hoped she might start gaining some traction by the end of this season, alas it's not to be. Worried for 2015 now.
    http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/09/azarenka-ends-season/52836/#.VB7ARBY9TU8

In terrific news, Victoria Duval is now cancer free :)
    http://instagram.com/p/tL1KJLzLPl/

Haven't seen Murray that emotional in a while! Hopefully this means he's back to 100%....he's a good chance of qualifying for London. Kvitova beat Bouchard...again! Great match from Petra; she knows exactly how to beat Genie and Genie hasn't a clue how to counteract. Once Bouchard can beat these big, powerful hitters then she can win GSs, that's my opinion anyway.:p

I wouldn't worry too much about Azarenka. She'll need to rest and recuperate until at least the end of November. 2 different injuries isn't easy.....hopefully she's putting her feet up. If the Aussie goes badly, then I'll be worried. My fingers are crossed she'll be 100% in January.

Kyrgios always has a few injury worries, so I'd say him having a long pre season to recuperate is best for him at this stage. No need to chase points or burn himself out too early.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Haven't seen Murray that emotional in a while! Hopefully this means he's back to 100%....he's a good chance of qualifying for London. Kvitova beat Bouchard...again! Great match from Petra; she knows exactly how to beat Genie and Genie hasn't a clue how to counteract. Once Bouchard can beat these big, powerful hitters then she can win GSs, that's my opinion anyway.:p

The thing about Petra is when she's playing well enough to make a final she's playing too well for most to beat. Granted, just like Wimbledon, the draw fell apart on her side quite early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

http://afanobsessed.sportsblog.com/posts/1104350/tennis_without_rafael_nadal_isn_t_tennis.html

Great article - I know most around here feel the same :)

The King is back :)

Well-written article, can't say I agree with most of the points, like:

"it certainly would add an extra level of legitimacy to Cilic’s title as he didn’t have to dethrone the champion to win his title."

In years to come, nobody is going to remember Nadal was absent for the tournament. It's all Cilic winning his first GS. Also, I don't think the quality dipped when he was out.

Looking forward to seeing how he fairs against the top guys again.

^ I don't understand the logic that a title doesn't really count if you didn't beat X, Y or Z to win it.

I didn't see anyone claiming Djokovic's Wimbledon title was not legit because he didn't have to beat the reigning Champion Murray to win it? He didn't have to beat Nadal either, so I guess it's doubly not legit then.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Well-written article, can't say I agree with most of the points, like:

"it certainly would add an extra level of legitimacy to Cilic’s title as he didn’t have to dethrone the champion to win his title."

In years to come, nobody is going to remember Nadal was absent for the tournament. It's all Cilic winning his first GS. Also, I don't think the quality dipped when he was out.

Looking forward to seeing how he fairs against the top guys again.

Yeah, this kind of tripe annoys me too. It's generally only spouted by butthurt fans who are annoyed that their favourites are injured or lost early. It's akin to the people who try and say Murray shouldn't have won the US Open because it was windy?! Madness.

As the saying goes, "you can only beat who's in front of you." A Grand Slam is a Grand Slam!

A shame to see Lucie Safarova throw away another match against a top player. She's 0-16 against top 8 opponents since the start of 2013.

I think the qualifiers for Year End Finals in Singapore are pretty much settled now... Williams, Sharapova, Halep, Kvitova, Bouchard, Radwanska, Ivanovic and Wozniacki.

Should be some pretty interesting matches there if everyone arrives in form and fit.

Pretty strong field! Would love to see Serena vs Petra, especially if both are in top form.

^ We could have Serena vs Petra in just a couple of days time in Beijing. I know people say it every time, but I think Petra could actually have a chance this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A shame to see Lucie Safarova throw away another match against a top player. She's 0-16 against top 8 opponents since the start of 2013.

Always been a massive choker, so was it any surprise? Probably the last player on the tour you would want to have any money on.

Advertisement