Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least important part of this thread is the Title

Options
  • 07-09-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm 22, 183cm, 78/79kg, and a former 400m/800m track runner in my teens.

Injuries, disenchantment with perfomance, laziness, and beer caused me to quit when I was in my 2nd year of college when I was 20, but I've always wanted to get back into the sport, knowing that I had the potential to do much better than what I had already achieved.

I've kept myself relatively fit since I stopped running competitively, and especially in the past year have been going for jogs semi-regularly. I finished college in May this year and had a job lined up to start in July, so I launched straight into trying to get some proper level of fitness back, through a mixture of jogging, fartlek, circuit training and weights.

Unfortunately I overdid it a bit and ended up with a niggly ankle injury, so I had to substitute bike work in the gym for jogging. That took me up to early July, when I was due to move to Dublin to begin work. I had that ear-marked for my return to running, but should have waited longer as I ended up with a pretty sore Calf injury after about 2 weeks that sidelined me for all of August pretty much.

Having gotten Physio on that, and taken her advice, I've started running again in the past 10 days or so, on grass mainly.

I did a 35 minute run on gravel/concrete on Tuesday and the legs are still recovering from that so I'll stick to grass for another while yet.

Anyway I have definite goals in mind for the 12/13 track season and I'm pretty sure they are achievable if I don't overdo or under-do my training.

My PBs are: 400m: 51.3s -this was as a 17/18 year old. No idea what I'd run a 400 in these days.. I'd say with a good winter of endurance and a few weeks of track work I'd be in 53 sec shape anyway. That's just me supposing though.

800m: 2min 3sec - this was just before I 'hung up the spikes' and was achieved after about 6 weeks of average enough training alone, and no track work. I reckon I could smash that this year if I do things correctly.

My aim for this year is to at least equal my 400m PB, and Get well under 2mins in the 800m, around 2.57 hopefully.

I have a 9-5 job at the moment, and have been exercising at the weekends and after work. I don't really need to lose weight, and the basic fitness work I've been doing over the past 6-8 months should stand to me.

I am going on holidays for a week to Turkey with the GF in the morning :pac:, so proper training will begin on my return, but the runners are being packed so I'll get a few miles in hopefully! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Just an update on what I have been doing running wise, since coming back from the calf injury.

Monday, 20th August: First run was supposed to be 15-20mins, on the physios advice, but eejit here got carried away having gotten into the swing of it and ended up doing 35mins! At least it was on Grass though, on a lovely evening in the Pheonix Park.

After 2 days rest I did another 30 min run on the Thursday (23rd August). This was taken pretty easy, as I went with my cousin who had knackered himself the day before doing 6 miles. (Incidently he's also a former 400m runner, although he was a bit better than me, is a bit older than me, and isn't as committed to a comeback on the track!)

I went out again on the Saturday. Calf was a bit tight as the first 5 mins were on concrete, but once I switched over to grass it was fine again and I did about 5km (I didn't have a watch on me that day, but I was doing laps of a field that I know is roughly 1km).

On Monday this week I played 5-a-side footy with the lads from work, nothing too demanding.

On Tuesday (4th September) I did 35 mins on concrete. Felt grand at the time, but both my calves have been quite sore since. They're OK today, but I think I'll stick to softer ground for the next couple of weeks.

That's it so far!

Dunno if I'll get a chance to post again until after the holiday, but at least I've made a start so now I'm committed.

I'd appreciate any comments on my planned goals, advice etc. I don't know if there is anyone on this forum that runs track?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are a few all right - Pisco Sour, Randymann, dna_leri
    Are you in a club? Planning to join one? Even apart from the benefits of training with a track group, there aren't many races you can enter if you're not an AAI member.

Hı, I'll probably joın MSB. Two of my housemates ran/run wıth them.

So far on the holıday I've managed only one 30mın run, although I have been keepıng pretty actıve.

Was goıng to head out for another yesterday mornıng, but wasn't feelıng rıght. I must have had a touch of food poısonıng as my stomach was at me all day, and even though I managed to go out scuba dıvıng, my energy levels were pretty low and when I got back to the hotel, ın the mıd-afternoon I slept for 3 hours and was runnıng a temperature. I feel much better today, but stıll not 100%.

Goıng on a full-day tour to see some ancıent Greek ruıns tomorrow so I probably won't get another one ın before I come home. Stıll, I haven't been drınkıng much eıther, so these thıngs balance out. :D

Arrived back in Dublin at 9am yesterday (15th September). Weather was a bit cold for the shorts I'd decided to wear on the flight back, but hey, at least it wasn't raining!

Managed to get a good 36min run in, in the afternoon. Pace was steady enough.

According to map my run it's 4.90m miles, so happy enough with that. It was on the road/footpath mainy again, maybe 1/5th on grass. The calves don't feel too bad this morning, but I haven't walked around too much yet. Did a bit of foam rolling on them when I got home yesterday.

On the negative side of things, pretty sure my wisdom teeth are coming down and the right side of my mouth is fooking killing me. The painkillers I got in Turkey, which for the past couple of days have been doing the job, have now decided to stop working so, I'll have to get new ones today.

Really not looking forward to getting the wisdom teeth pulled, which I'm about 95% certain my dentist is going to tell me will have to be done. Ah well.

My aim for this year is to at least equal my 400m PB, and Get well under 2mins in the 800m, around 2.57 hopefully.

Just noticed this now, obviously I meant 1min 57sec!

That would be nice.

• Advertisement

Just back from a 50min easy run the aim was to run out the soreness from yesterday, but ended up doing a bit more than I'd planned.

Took it very easy pace-wise. Map my run says it was 5.43 miles, at 9.11 average mile pace, so slow enough indeed! That time includes a 300/400m stride at about the 25min mark, followed by 2mins walking.

The calves feel like they'll be pretty sore tomorrow, so I won't be going for another run until Tuesday or Wednesday. I could be dragged into playing football after work though.

Happy enough all in all. Feel like I'm back in the swing of things now, looking forward to getting back in the gym, have to get membership somewhere first though. Also looking forward to doing track work again, painful and all as it is.

Will wait another 2 weeks at least before attempting any track sessions though.

20min easy run today, about 2 miles on grass, just to loosen out the legs really.

Cold evening, winter is on the way!

Will definitely take a day off tomorrow.

Need to join a gym soon.

Also probably need new trainers. Will have a mosey around the internet now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Did u decide on your club yet? What track do MSB use or do they use the park all the time? As regards a gym, I saw you mentioned in another thread westpoint in Blanchardstown. I was a member there a number of years ago and found it great. The only problem was the traffic at peak times and you couldnt get near it around xmas time but that would not be a problem if you didnt have to use a car to get there of course.

RandyMann wrote: »
    Did u decide on your club yet? What track do MSB use or do they use the park all the time? As regards a gym, I saw you mentioned in another thread westpoint in Blanchardstown. I was a member there a number of years ago and found it great. The only problem was the traffic at peak times and you couldnt get near it around xmas time but that would not be a problem if you didnt have to use a car to get there of course.

Probably will go with MSB. They use Santry afaik, which would be closer to me than Irishtown. I'm near enough to the Blanchardstown center. It's hard to get reviews of gyms, I'll probably go with there so. Thanks! :D

Santry is a great track. I also use the gym out there sometimes as I see a personal trainer who works from there. The gym is 5euro for a non member.

• Advertisement

Had a bit of a mad run this evening.

I neglected to take the correct turn for my planned 5 mile loop in the park and ended up having to run around the zoo, and doing 8 miles in 71 mins.

Wasn't planning to be doing anything that long for another week or two.

Felt relatively ok, stopped after 38 mins to stretch for 5 mins, as my hip flexors were very tight, and my left calf was a bit tight at the beginning of the run.

Legs will be stiff tomorrow.

Also, I ordered a pair of NB 890V2s last night, can't wait to get my paws on 'em! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just seen your log now. Great to have another track log here. Will be following your progress with interest. That's an excellent 400m PB you have there. Would kill for that sort of speed. :)

Thanks for the support.

Seeing as it was about 4 years ago since I did that PB, it remains to be seen whether I'll be getting back there any time soon!

Happy enough with my progress at the moment. Legs aren't even that stiff today. :)

Went for a 35 min run today in the park with my cousin/housemate who's training for the DCM. 4.3 miles altogether for me.

I was feeling a bit tired today after yesterday's LSR so I only stayed with him for the first 2 and a half miles. I took it very very slow after this.

Did about 5 mins of stretching at the end, followed by 3 fast strides. The first two were about 100m, the last about 160m-200m.

Felt pretty good to run fast again. Track sessions aren't too far off now.

Will be heading back to my hometown in the Kingdom for the weekend, so I'll visit my local gym on Saturday. Looking forward to that also.

Friday 20 Sept 12 - REST DAY

Saturday 22 Sept 12

AM: 3.8 mile run in 31mins on the road. Big slow hill between miles 2 and 3. First time wearing my shiny new New Balance 890V2s. Felt good! Did a 2 fast strides during the run, one for the last 100m of the hill, and one for the last 100m bringing me back to my house.

PM: Gym session. First time back in the gym in about 8 weeks.

Bike Machine: 20mins warmup, about 9.5km, then 5 mins stretching.

Hang Cleans:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Squats:
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Dips: 3 sets of ten reps, with 40secs plank in between each set.

Cable Rows:
    25kg x 10
    35kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 10

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 6 each arm
    10kg x 6 each arm
    10kg x 6 each arm

Felt good to get back into the gym, I weighed myself last night, and I'm down 3/4kilos to 75kg, probably as a result of not doing weights in so long.
    Took it relatively easy, not as strong as I was 8 weeks ago, but that's to be expected!

Monday PM

Had aches and pains all over from the gym session on Saturday. That's what I get for not being in more of a hurry to join a gym since I moved here!

Anyway, went for an easy 35min run, 4.2 miles, on the first real dirty aul wintery night of the year. Plenty more of those to come. I was very close to staying on the couch, but a few words of abuse from my housemate got me out the door.

Benefits of living with fellow athletes!

Tuesday PM

6 x 180m intervals with 2 mins very slow jogging in between each rep. Total distance 4.3 miles including warm up & cool down.

1 - 25.6s
    2 - 26.6s
    3 - 25.3s
    4 - 27.8s
    5 - 25.6s
    6 - 25.9s

Had an 11 min run down to the park as a warm up, then stretched for about 8 minutes. This included static and dynamic work: Lunges, Squats, leg swings etc. Then took it easy on the way home, 13 mins to make it back to the house. Another wet evening, more training in the bag.

I did the fast intervals on the bicycle path on chesterfield avenue, using 2 lamp post lengths as the distance. I guess it's about 180m judging by the times I'm running them in, although I could be horribly slow now so maybe it's less. I did them up and back so there was a nasty wind in my face on the even numbered reps. I tried to concentrate on good form throughout, although having not sprinted in a good while, that may or may not have actually worked. The consistency between the reps was good anyway, and it felt good to run quickly for a change.

Proper track work is in the not too distant future, still have a while left at concentrating mainly on knocking out the slow miles before then though.

Also should remember to spend time stretching when I come home. Flexibility is a priority for me, as it's always been an issue, greatly affects speed, and is very easy to overlook!

A positive is that my legs have responded really well so far to the extra stress being put on them. A few weeks ago I was walking like a cowboy for days after a 40min run.

I have been checking my RHR recently as well. Yesterday it was 60bpm about 30mins after drinking a coffee, and just now it was at 54bpm. I had a coffee about 4 hours ago, so the effects should be 90% gone by now. Happy enough with 54bpm for the moment. It was always 60-62 during my teens, even though I was fitter than I am now. I wonder will I ever get it under the 50 mark...

Late evening in work, didn't get out for a run.

Took the opportunity to do a bit of core work, foam rolling and stretching.

Hamstrings and IT band were tight, felt the rolling and stretching was needed.

The core work consisted of 2 exercises, 3 sets each:

1: 3 sets of 45 seconds plank.

2: I don't know the proper name for the second core exercise so I'll describe it.

Lying on back, arms spread slightly out from hips, on the ground for stability. The legs are straightened with toes pointed. The idea is to lift them both together and draw numbers in the air, as large as possible, but bringing the feet close to the ground after each number is drawn, as this is where max effort occurs. Starting an one, counting upwards. Tougher than it sounds!

I counted to ten three times with about 40secs break in between each set.

Going to go for an 8-miler tomorrow with my freshly stretched legs. Huzzah!

I was very tempted to listen to a couple of friends who were going out for Arthur's day, and join them.

I didn't and went for an 8 mile slog instead. Same route as last week. 71mins, average pace 8.52, although I was having trouble with my iPod so I ended up stopping a few times.

My pace was a bit erratic, I'm probably not used to these length of runs yet, although it did feel easier than last week on the whole.

I really turned on the afterburners for the last 300m or so, there's a steep humpback bridge going over the train tracks by the Castleknock station which is very close to my house, and I was very pleased with how I powered up it.

Rest day tomorrow. Double day on Saturday.

Saturday AM: 5.9 miles in 47 mins, average pace 8.08.

Saturday PM: GYM

22 min warm-up on bike machine, 10.4km

few stretches, leg swings, lunges, and foam rolling

Hang Clean
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 10

Dips and Straight Leg Raises, Supersets (core)
    12 x dips , 15 x SLR
    10 x dips , 15 x SLR
    10 x dips , 20 x SLR

Gratuitous DB Bicep Curls
    10kg x 8 (each arm)
    10kg x 7 , 6kg x 10
    10kg x 5 , 6kg x 5

few stretches, shower, and GTFO.

Was surprised at how bad I am at deadlifts now; I used to be able to do 120kg x 5, and here I really struggled with 90kg. Can only improve! I was planning on doing 25 pull ups after the DLs, but between them and the HCs, my grip was absolutely fncked. Still getting back into the swing of things. Still haven't joined a gym in Dublin yet, but it's payday on Friday so that's been factored into the budegt for this month.

The 'gratuitous' DB curls at the end were actually very necessary. The gun show always has to be a priority... :pac:

• Advertisement

OK, so two weeks since I got back from Turkey and I've decided to do a bit of a stock take to see where I'm at and how I got here.

Week 1, 16/09/12-22/09/12: 28.43 miles in 6 runs, all slow, longest run 8.0miles; 1 weights session.

Week 2, 24/09/12-29/09/12: 22.4 miles in 4 runs, including 1 interval/fartlek session; also 1 core/flexibilty workout; 1 weights session.

I feel much fitter now than I did 2 weeks ago. My calves are getting used to the miles, and I've gotten back into the gym which is a big plus.

Doing two workouts on a Saturday has worked pretty well, so I think I'll keep that up. I still don't have weekly plans set in stone, which I think is one are I could improve, but I have been thinking a lot about my training and what I need to be doing and when, so I'm not completely making it up as I go along.

I'm happy enough with the mileage I'm doing. I can keep an average of 25-30 miles per week over the winter I'll be happy enough with that. I don't think huge mileage is necessary for either the 8 or the 4, and I haven't decided which I'm concentrating on yet. I need to work on pacing myself properly on the longer runs though. The two 8-milers I've done have been pretty erratic to say the least.

Over the next two weeks I'll try and get one hill and one fartlek/interval run in.

After that it will be 1 hill session, 1 track session, 1 LSR, 1 Recovery run, 1/2 Weights sessions, and a circuit/core/flexibility workout per week.

That's 7 workouts. I've managed 6 the past 2 weeks with 2 days off each week, so this should be feasible.

Hopefully MSB will have a group that's doing similar enough track/hills to what I want. I've decided I'm going to train myself primarily even though I'll be joining the club, and just hop in and out of whatever stuff they may be doing that suits my plan.

All in all things are going well. :D

Right. Long Day. Will keep this short, may have to edit tomorrow...

Monday PM:

4.5 miles easy in 39 mins, 8.42 avg pace. Very windy, but enjoyable run. First 3 and a bit miles were in the park with two friends training for the marathon. Very easy pace. I then left them, stretched for a bit, and picked up the pace for the remaining 1.5 miles home.

Did a bit of foam rolling about an hour ago while watching Band of Brothers. Good show. Glutes were fncked today after the DLs on Saturday. Arse needs to man up.

Quite knackered now. Sleepytime...

Had a day off yesterday. Currently suffering from a cold and sore throat with swollen glands. Will wait until it clears before doing any miles, training through sickness is not a good idea in my experience.

Might do a bit of core work and stretching/foam rolling this evening but other than that I'm taking it easy until I'm healthy again.

Had a day off yesterday. Currently suffering from a cold and sore throat with swollen glands. Will wait until it clears before doing any miles, training through sickness is not a good idea in my experience.

Might do a bit of core work and stretching/foam rolling this evening but other than that I'm taking it easy until I'm healthy again.

Molkosan is the way to go!

http://www.bioforceusa.com/avogel-world/stories-products/molkosan.php

Dilute a table spoon of it into a few ounces of water and get gargling. I honestly can't believe more people don't know about this.

The taste is rancid at first, but you'll get used to it and eventually will not even notice it.

Thanks Pisco :)

Where would I find that stuff, a Health food store??

Saturday AM: 5.9 miles in 47 mins, average pace 8.08.

Saturday PM: GYM

22 min warm-up on bike machine, 10.4km

few stretches, leg swings, lunges, and foam rolling

Hang Clean
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 10

Dips and Straight Leg Raises, Supersets (core)
    12 x dips , 15 x SLR
    10 x dips , 15 x SLR
    10 x dips , 20 x SLR

Gratuitous DB Bicep Curls
    10kg x 8 (each arm)
    10kg x 7 , 6kg x 10
    10kg x 5 , 6kg x 5

few stretches, shower, and GTFO.

Was surprised at how bad I am at deadlifts now; I used to be able to do 120kg x 5, and here I really struggled with 90kg. Can only improve! I was planning on doing 25 pull ups after the DLs, but between them and the HCs, my grip was absolutely fncked. Still getting back into the swing of things. Still haven't joined a gym in Dublin yet, but it's payday on Friday so that's been factored into the budegt for this month.

The 'gratuitous' DB curls at the end were actually very necessary. The gun show always has to be a priority... :pac:

Thats still good going, starting out on the deadlifts cause you did plenty of reps. You should find that you will quickly improve with that exercise. I remember when I first tried a deadlift to raise 80kg off the ground, not so long ago, I nearly blacked out and the weight stayed on the ground : ) I am lifting 160 now.

Thanks Pisco :)

Where would I find that stuff, a Health food store??

Yeh one of those organic health food stores should do the trick. Not a pharmacy though.

OK, after 4 days off with a cold, I got back on the horse today.

Took it very easy, 2.55 miles in 20mins, avg pace 7.41 min/mile.

Didn't feel 100% will ease back into training. Hopefully will be able for another 25-30 miles next week. Track work starts then!

Still wasn't completely over my cold on Sunday, plus I had a slight hangover ;), so no run.

Yesterday I played football with the lads from work. Still wasn't feeling brilliant, but it was a good run out anyway.

I feel much better today, will get out for a run this evening.

• Advertisement

Absolutely can't wait to get out for a run tonight, think I'mma attempt 8 miles. Might not be the wisest plan given the week of pretty much nothing I've done due to the virus I had, but go hard or go home right???

Have also planned out what track sessions I'll be doing over the next few weeks: (absolutely cannot wait to get out on a track again to see where I'm at, although my enthusiasm will surely wane after doing a few 300s at 80%+ effort)

Planned Sessions
    Week 1, 8th-14th October: 30 miles including 1 hill session (6x200m with 2 min walk back/recovery) 1 weights session

Wk 2, 15th-21st October: 20-30miles including 1xhill session (same as above), 1 track session (2x2x300m 3min between reps, 6min between sets), and 2 weights sessions.

Wk 3, 22nd-28th October: 10-20miles inc. 1xhill (7x200m, 2 min recovery)
    1x track (600m,500m,400m,300m,200m,100m with walking recovery of distance ran, up to max of 400m), 2 weights sessions

Wk 4, 29th Oct-4th Nov: 20-30miles inc 1xhill (8x200m, 2 min recovery)
    1x track: 2x4x200m 3min between reps, 8min between the 2 sets, 2 weights sessions.

Wk 5, 5th-11th November: EASY WEEK, 15-20 easy miles and a track session where I run a 200m and 400m at 100% to see where I'm at. Lots of stretching and foam rolling and general assessing what needs to be tweaked/changed completely in my training.

If I can achieve 90% of what I've planned here I'll be doing very very well. Will aim for 100% completion, but I've a hectic few weeks ahead with my graduation, my brother's graduation and 2 very significant family birthdays to attend over the coming weeks.

Advertisement