Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help get 6 pack.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Drink lots of water

Walk places instead of getting the bus etc (jog to Taekwondo for example)

Also tell your parents you are looking to lose weight. I know even now as a 28 yr old, every time i go home my mam gives me insane portion sizes. For example if your mam cooks potatos cut the portion size in half (or more if you can) and replace with veg (or nothing). You dont need to finish eveything on your plate ;)

Also chances are you will feel like sh*t the first week, this is just your body getting used to the change. but stick with it!!

And good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

roseybear wrote: »
    They're okay but not great. And brown bread sandwhiches for lunch if your still having sambos. Cut back the butter.

Will take 4 weeks to notice a diff so don't be getting frustrated and fall back in to old habits. If you cut out all fizzy drinks, the crisps the bars the take out and the pizza, and I mean really cut it out, not having a sly nibble here and there you should see some difference. When ur out walking the dog try run for 1min say every 5mins and try go a bit longer every time until u can run the whole 30mins.
    the butter is NOT a problem at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Longgreentrain

Hey everyone thanks for your advice.
    I have done well today IMO.

Breakfast
    Bowel if malt crunches. ( Aldi sherdies)
    With whole milks.
    I had a tiny glass if orange juice to wash it down with.

Lunch
    Sandwich white bread with lettuce onion and cus cus.
    An apple banana and orange

Snack
    I Slice of soda bread with a drop of butter.

I drank 880ml of water and will have a pint if water with my dinner.

My walk to the bus stop is 10 minutes each way.
    I plan to walk my dog for 1/2 hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You've made some decent choices so far.

Now replace the dog with a greyhound and bring it for a run :D

Hey everyone thanks for your advice.
    I have done well today IMO.

Breakfast
    Bowel if malt crunches. ( Aldi sherdies)
    With whole milks.
    I had a tiny glass if orange juice to wash it down with.

Lunch
    Sandwich white bread with lettuce onion and cus cus.
    An apple banana and orange

Snack
    I Slice of soda bread with a drop of butter.

I drank 880ml of water and will have a pint if water with my dinner.

My walk to the bus stop is 10 minutes each way.
    hit some press ups, squats and get a pull up bar in your bedroom door way asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's not just about counting calories - although obviously fewer calories is generally a good thing.

Processed food is more easily digested and metabolised so the 100 calories from white sliced pan is more than the 100 calories from brown soda bread.
    The actual energy content is the same but more fibrous food requires more effort to digest and as such you get less energy from it.
    That'll vary from person to person and different foods but it's a good rule of thumb.

So swapping out processed food entirely is a good idea. Wholegrain bread, brown pasta and that kind of thing. White sliced pan is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Replace your white bread with brown bread. It doesn't have to be like a brick, even a wholemeal sliced pan is better for you.

Generally, increase your fresh fruit intake, eat some fruit every day, be it apple, orange, melon, grapes, pear, banana etc etc

Have a cola as a treat only, 4L a week is very unhealthy. Drink water. Also, increase your milk consumption. When I was your age I was downing at least a pint a day.

Porridge is a good start to the day, especially in the cold seasons. Shredded wheat is good. Sultanas make a nice snack and you can add them to curries and porridge.

Wholemeal rice is healthy, but I personally find it hard to eat, but thats because I have only had the white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

So as someone who was 18kilos (around 2.8 stone) heavier than I am now, I can certainly recognize some of the difficulties you are having because I had them.

First off your diet is a mess, though eating boiled veg every day isn't going to help it. The problem with your diet is that you are clueless (so was I, so please don't see this as an insult). Firstly you need to start to understand how much calories are in foods. You need to make the connection between calories and food servings and then food servings and how many calories you need. Cutting out the rich tea isn't -going to help if you are having 3-4 slices of bread slapped heavy with butter. If you have a smartphone there are several good apps you can use to help you track what you are eating. The point of tracking what you are eating isn't so you put yourself on a diet or really restricting what you eart, but to educate yourself in what you are eating and how much you actually need to eat.

For exercise, you can actually do quite a bit at home without any equipment. I started with a 15 minute workout at home. It goes something like this.

30 seconds pushups
    30 seconds mountain climbers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oe1t1IZdNY)
    30 seconds Burpees (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8TbMYb5n4)
    30 seconds jumping jacks
    30 seconds ab crunch by raising your legs in the air and then touching your toes with your hands.

Thats 2.5 minute, do it twice without any breaks. Repeat it 3 times. If you are not sweating afterwards, work harder :pac:.

Also, get yourself some scales. It is very important that you track your weight. I remember the first time my scales went below 16stone I was so encouraged by the fact that I could quantify my weight loss. Then it went below 15 stone and I knew I was on the right track . Truthfully, watching your weight come off on the scales is far more motivating than wondering if you are losing it by staring into the mirror.

If you want to PM me, I am more than happy to give you my expierences of weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gbear wrote: »
    So swapping out processed food entirely is a good idea. Wholegrain bread, brown pasta and that kind of thing. White sliced pan is ****e.
    VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Replace your white bread with brown bread. It doesn't have to be like a brick, even a wholemeal sliced pan is better for you.

The difference between white bread and brown bread is pretty small, tiny really. I never understand how people can claim that white bread is all kinds of sh*te, yet encourage brown bread. The two aren't that different. Just because one is better, doesn't mean it is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    The difference between white bread and brown bread is pretty small, tiny really. I never understand how people can claim that white bread is all kinds of sh*te, yet encourage brown bread. The two aren't that different. Just because one is better, doesn't mean it is good.

Low tar cigarettes are better than the regular kind so lets all take up smoking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

White bread can have between 20-40% more calories per amount than brown bread. However, the main point here is that white bread provides readily accessible sugar whereas brown bread requires your body to process the sugar before getting access to it. Therefore you are more likely to get a blood-sugar spike which increases your insulin levels which increases the amount of sugar your cells will absorb. Keeping a constant blood sugar level is important in controlling your diet as it helps you avoid a glucose crash, which is when you are more likely to go look for a sugary snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

And it begins...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

sarumite wrote: »
    White bread can have between 20-40% more calories per amount than brown bread. However, the main point here is that white bread provides readily accessible sugar whereas brown bread requires your body to process the sugar before getting access to it. Therefore you are more likely to get a blood-sugar spike which increases your insulin levels which increases the amount of sugar your cells will absorb. Keeping a constant blood sugar level is important in controlling your diet as it helps you avoid a glucose crash, which is when you are more likely to go look for a sugary snack.

20081126173842!Orly.jpg

White bread can have between 20-40% more calories per amount than brown bread.
    Source please.
    I'd guess that per slice brown is actually higher on average. For weight, it probably varies depending on variety.
    However, the main point here is that white bread provides readily accessible sugar whereas brown bread requires your body to process the sugar before getting access to it. Therefore you are more likely to get a blood-sugar spike which increases your insulin levels which increases the amount of sugar your cells will absorb. Keeping a constant blood sugar level is important in controlling your diet as it helps you avoid a glucose crash, which is when you are more likely to go look for a sugary snack.
    Go back and read my last post.
    I acknowledged brown is better, including how fast it's broken down. But just because it's not as bad doesn't mean its good. Brown will still cause a similar (although maybe milder) blood sugar reaction. Compare it to other food choices like vegtables, meat, nuts, seeds and brown bread has a much bigger affect if blood sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

then fill in the daily calorie intake on what you currently consume and you will soon see why your diet is not suitable to losing weight

You need to cut down on the calorie intake and coke is a killer
    Try porridge...

best of luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Hanley wrote: »
    20081126173842!Orly.jpg
    That was funny

White bread can have between 20-40% more calories per amount than brown bread...
    Average Irish bread...
    Brennans… Per Slice Per 100g
    White 87 219
    White Sandwich 82 214
    Brown Sandwich 95 249
    Wholemeal 88 221
    Wholegrain 92 213
    Multigrain 110 275

Per slice the two white bread varieties are the lowest two, brown ranges from being similar to being 25% higher.
    Per 100g, the whites are bottom three with browns again ranging from simialr to 25% higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Average Irish bread...
    White 87 219
    White Sandwich 82 214
    Brown Sandwich 95 249
    Wholemeal 88 221
    Wholegrain 92 213
    Multigrain 110 275

Per slice the two white bread varieties are the lowest two, brown ranges from being similar to being 25% higher.
    Per 100g, the whites are bottom three with browns again ranging from simialr to 25% higher.

That's some good research, saved me the trouble of checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Average Irish bread...
    White 87 219
    White Sandwich 82 214
    Brown Sandwich 95 249
    Wholemeal 88 221
    Wholegrain 92 213
    Multigrain 110 275

Something that I read elsewhere on boards; tried and really find tasty is to use Lettuce in lieu of Bread for sandwiches/wraps. I put my fillings in between the lettuce leaves like a wrap and just omit the bread and therefore all additional calories etc also. Just another option to throw in there :)

edit: Just seen there that the op of this thread has been banned.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Something that I read elsewhere on boards; tried and really find tasty is to use Lettuce in lieu of Bread for sandwiches/wraps. I put my fillings in between the lettuce leaves like a wrap and just omit the bread and therefore all additional calories etc also. Just another option to throw in there :)

edit: Just seen there that the op of this thread has been banned.
    banned - ah the youth of today!

• Advertisement
Advertisement