Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just looking at the program from Sunday, Waterford are the only team outside of the Kilkenny team(S) of the last 15 years to make 6 all-ireland semis in a row. Some achievement from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Mullane has made a bit of a fool of himself with this whole saga. He had an opportunity on the programme to really put the issue to bed and admit that he reacted badly and that he regretted what he did. Its obvious he is embarrassed over it but just didnt want to admit it and maybe his ego took over. Hes been a great ambassador for hurling but he has let himself down on this occasion.
    As for Kellys celebration after his goal it was pretty shameful thing do tbh and not a true reflection of what waterford hurling stands for. Whatever his reasons behind it he didnt to himself or his teamates any favours. Id like to see him do it against the likes of Kilkenny, but I dont think youll see that happening. its all well and good to goad in the face a rookie fullback from a county that hasnt done much in recent years. This player has gone hiding too many times in too many big games and im sick of trying to vouch for him. Id like to see him do his talking with the hurley like he used to be able to do in the past.

Im looking forward to the future for Waterford hurling I think there are some terrific young lads coming through that have been bred with the correct attitude. But there are a few pieces of deadwood still hanging around and clinging onto past reputations and the sooner that moves on and the next generation comes to the fore the better at this stage. Its time to change the mindset of Waterford hurling and rid ourselves of the nonsense that has been holding us back this past decade.
    boy you talk some ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fourmilewater 0-18 Dunhill 1-08
    Dunhill very poor but conditions were awful. Liam and Seamus Lawlor played very well for FMW, as did Barron getting about 6 or 7pts.
    Shane Casey and Eamonn Murphy best on show for the losers, the latter with a nice goal. Dunhill dug themselves too deep a hole before making a bit of a comeback. Shane Walsh didn't start but came on near the end and got a point or two.

Lismore 0-12 Abbeyside 1-09
    Again, very difficult conditions. Maurice did well and chipped in with his usual few points but to be fair to Abbeyside they played well. Hurney did very well and won a lot of ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

[ Originally Posted by Black Suir viewpost.gif
    In the same way that Davy gave nice calm easy going team talks is it.

QUOTE=hurler on de ditch;79351892]are you even of sound mind?its rich coming from me ,but you make fu#% all sense[/QUOTE]

erm I think you'll find Black Suir was being sarcastic....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Cake Man wrote: »
    Fourmilewater 0-18 Dunhill 1-08
    Dunhill very poor but conditions were awful. Liam and Seamus Lawlor played very well for FMW, as did Barron getting about 6 or 7pts.
    Shane Casey and Eamonn Murphy best on show for the losers, the latter with a nice goal. Dunhill dug themselves too deep a hole before making a bit of a comeback. Shane Walsh didn't start but came on near the end and got a point or two.

Lismore 0-12 Abbeyside 1-09
    Again, very difficult conditions. Maurice did well and chipped in with his usual few points but to be fair to Abbeyside they played well. Hurney did very well and won a lot of ball.

Heard there was a was a few verbals on the line in the Lismore/Abbeyside? If it's true what was allegedly said i'd say a certain principal would want to be looking over his shoulder!! I must investigate it some more.
    As for the game Abbeyside will feel the more aggrieved as they shot some terrible wides in the second half and if they converted half of them they should have been out of sight. A disputed square ball at the end for Lismore seemed to be the right decision as Big Dan did seem to be in the square at the time. Gary and Podge Hurney caused a lot of problems for the Lismore defence and Hickey in midfield got through an amount of work. Seanie Barry in goal for Lismore was excellent aswell as Michael Coleman and Maurice Shanahan.On a night that didn't suit any type of hurling it kept us on tender hooks right up to the end so for this reason alone great credit must go to both teams.

In the first game Fourmilewater didn't have to come out of 2nd gear as they strolled to an easy victory.The more i see of Jamie Barron the better he seems to be getting and the Dunhill fullback line had no answer to him whatsoever. They will definitely take a bit of beating as the championship gets down to the business end of the season.They have a solid work ethic and all seem to be buying in to Fintan O Connor's game plan and Seamus Lawlor at midfield epitomises this with his box to box workrate which is phenomenal. Liam Lawlor is experienced at centre back and Rory Rice at full back is rock solid and add to these guys Shane Walsh(who didn't start tonight)and Shane Ryan when he comes back from injury,they have a serious outfit indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

just watching the sunday game highlights kellys celebration after his goal was pretty ridiculous considering he was rubbish for most of the game. Weve not come to expect anything better but hes not a kid anymore and youd think hed rise above that at this stage. kinda makes us look silly

IMO Kelly should not be on the panel, his attitude is terrible. I watched him on Sunday, even before the game. He looks fitter then he has done in a while, BUT.... his attitude is scandalous.
    First of all, at half time in the Intermediate match, he, like the rest of the senior squad were out in the middle if the pitch, when the 2nd half of the match began, all of the panel, except Kelly, went back into the tunnel. Kelly hung around in front of the Waterford dugout for another few minutes. My question is what business did he have been in front of the Intermediate dugout with the second half of the match after starting?

Secondly and more worringly, when he was substituted, he went to the dugout and took one of the yellow substitute warm up bibs and went over to the sideline and started to watch the game. One of the Waterford officials went over to him, I expect to ask him to go back to the dugout, he refused, shrugged of the official, in a manner that looked like F O.
    The official, then went over to another Waterford official and shook his head pointing back at Kelly. The second official, then approached Kelly, who did not react aggresively this time, and he walked back over to the dugout, then turned around and went back to the touch line !!!

Again, what gave hime the right to take a subs warm up bib in the first place and also he obviously took attention of some of our officials away from the game at a critical time.
    He does not seem to accept any kind of authority, and to be honest I was a little sympathetic to him at the start of the year, when he was in conflict with the manager.

Any player, who cannot follow simple rules or respect the authority of the management, has no business pulling on a county jersey.

Also who let him give an interview after the game on Sunday, apart from a disbuted penalty he offered sweet FA last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Look Kelly is Kelly. Thats just his personality, I wouldnt take too much notice of it.its up to the officials to decide if he should be there or not, anything else is irrelevant. I thought he did ok Sunday and used his physical presence to unsettle the Clare backline and took his penalty well. Id rather have him starting because he has the potential to change a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Look Kelly is Kelly. Thats just his personality, I wouldnt take too much notice of it.its up to the officials to decide if he should be there or not, anything else is irrelevant. I thought he did ok Sunday and used his physical presence to unsettle the Clare backline and took his penalty well. Id rather have him starting because he has the potential to change a game.

Kelly is either with the team or not, he cannot decide what he wants to do and where and when. He has a bad attitude, he offered very little last Sunday. Agreed, on his day he is unplayable, but that kind of display from him in a county jersey has not happened in a while.
    Neither the manager or the selectors should have to worry about where his head is from match to match, there are another 30 hurlers on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Kelly is either with the team or not, he cannot decide what he wants to do and where and when. He has a bad attitude, he offered very little last Sunday. Agreed, on his day he is unplayable, but that kind of display from him in a county jersey has not happened in a while.
    Neither the manager or the selectors should have to worry about where his head is from match to match, there are another 30 hurlers on the panel.

Ok look at Ronaldo in soccer, does he have a great attitude? But he keeps getting picked because he has the ability to change a game and be a match winner. My take on it is such players in whatever sport are so hyped up about their own ability from a young age that they believe in it and feel they dont have to put in as much as other players as a result. Im not saying Kelly is hurling's equivilant of Ronaldo but you get what im saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

My take on it is such players in whatever sport are so hyped up about their own ability from a young age that they believe in it and feel they dont have to put in as much as other players as a result.

Well maybe youve hit the nail on the head right there. Its high time we stopped talking about this fellah as if hes some sort of god. He just does what he wants and dosent respect his peers and the bottom line is hes just not up to it anymore. there are plenty of other young lads that can bring just as much to the table as hes bringing now but dont have the same reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

I agree with that sentiment 100%. Kelly should have been challenging for hurler of the year over the past few years, as he's a fantasic player when he chooses to be. Instead of putting the effort into hurling, all he seems to want to do is argue with referees, argue with opponents, try to start fights on the field, and act the thug. He's going to let us down by getting sent off. I'd get rid of him off the panel.

Got a mail from Club Déise saying Darragh Fives broke a finger in a club match. Aidan Kearney also injured his shoulder and will be out for the season. Just when Ringo got back to fitness it's disappointing. Hopefully Darragh can still make Munster final and/or U21 semi in 3 weeks time.

DLS should win comfortably today, dryer conditions will hopefully make for a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

Is barron on the senior hurling panel.Looks like we are getting thin on cover in the backs.By the way i have seen a few games this year and he is the best forward on show.

Is barron on the senior hurling panel.Looks like we are getting thin on cover in the backs.By the way i have seen a few games this year and he is the best forward on show.

No, just U21. Yeah he's a really good hurler, very skillful with good wrists, excellent first touch and knows where the posts are. Very pacy too, he left a few for dead last night and that was in poor conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

who do ye fancy to win to day. ? Cork or Tipp ?

i would love a Cork/Waterford final

but we owe Tipp from last year.

It still haunts me today

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

who do ye fancy to win to day. ? Cork or Tipp ?

i would love a Cork/Waterford final

but we owe Tipp from last year.

It still haunts me today

Id perfer a cork/waterford final just because it will be in Thurles.

you would dread a trip to that horrible place in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Ok look at Ronaldo in soccer, does he have a great attitude? But he keeps getting picked because he has the ability to change a game and be a match winner. My take on it is such players in whatever sport are so hyped up about their own ability from a young age that they believe in it and feel they dont have to put in as much as other players as a result. Im not saying Kelly is hurling's equivilant of Ronaldo but you get what im saying.

Ronaldo has an unbelievably professional attitude.

Why shouldn't Kelly take a subs bib - anyone remember Peter Canavan coming back on in 2005 to knock Armagh out of the Championship? These 'rules' you speak of are not rules, they are merely things about Kelly that irk you. Get over yourself. Kelly is a fantastic player, his attitude is not great at times but he is a game changer.

To boot he was doing his celebration when the Clare full back ran into him, have another look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

No but if he was, I rather see him at the other end of the field. Thats not to say he would not do a job if asked in defence.

Not hitting at you on this one, but isnt it a little ironic that people are wondering about Fourmilewater players that are not in the panel. When Michael Ryan brought in a few of them at the start of the year to look at some of them, he was accused of trying to make hurlers out of footballers and showing favouritism towards his own club. Sometimes I'm sure a manager or selector will feel that they cant win.

daddydick wrote: »
    Ronaldo has an unbelievably professional attitude.

Why shouldn't Kelly take a subs bib - anyone remember Peter Canavan coming back on in 2005 to knock Armagh out of the Championship? These 'rules' you speak of are not rules, they are merely things about Kelly that irk you. Get over yourself. Kelly is a fantastic player, his attitude is not great at times but he is a game changer.

To boot he was doing his celebration when the Clare full back ran into him, have another look at it

Was it not the 2003 All-Ireland final?

Kelly is not a fantastic player lads. A fantastic player is someone like Mullane who will perform all the time, no matter whether the team is getting beaten out the gate or whether he's leading us to victory.

A skilled hurler of limited use would be a much more accurate description of the Eoin Kelly i saw last Sunday. The only thing of value I can remember him doing a side from dispatching the penalty was keeping the ball alive for Shane Walsh's point. He tried to pick it up a few times and realised it wasn't happening so he shielded it back to Walsh. And that was his contribution for the entire game.

Some people say he worked hard, others don't. The way I see it is that if he did work hard well then he's not fast enough or fit enough because I don't have any recollection of him putting any backs under serious pressure. If he didn't, well that's just further evidence of why he's not the player he should be and will be no more at this stage.

Compare him to the other forwards. Maurice Shanahan scored 0-2 points from play, won at least one free that I can remember, setup GOB brilliantly for the goal chance and made a nuisance of himself in general. Seamus Prendergast tied up the centre back well and won good ball as well as preventing the Clare halfbacks from winning clean ball and scored a nice point to boot (although similar to Kelly I think he was luck his foul on McInerney wasn't spotted in the build up). John Mullane scored 0-3, he caught two clean balls and gave Clare so much trouble. Shane Walsh scored 1-1, and his goal epitomized his work rate. He chased Cooney about 30 yards and won a free as a result, setup one of Mullane's scores and worked hard in putting the Clare backs under pressure. Gavin O'Brien scored a point, got into space for the goal chance albeit he maybe should have passed it off, but he got out in front of his man and tried hard, not bad for a 19 year old on his debut. Who would you rather have on your team, any of them or Kelly?

Even the subs that came on, O'Neill was on the field 10 seconds and he had a point. That point was setup by Tommy Ryan, who should have passed to Maurice at the end, but didn't he do so well to make the chance in the first place? Paudi Mahony when he comes back has more to offer than Kelly, and I feel Brian O'Sullivan last year showed more than Kelly has done the last few years given he scored 0-3 points against Limerick and even winning one free in the final against Tipp with limited ball, he used his pace and had to be fouled to stop a goal.

So, in my opinion, he is at best the 10th most valuable forward in Waterford, and to be honest I'm not even sure he's that.

Frankly I don't care about whether he put on a subs bib or not, it's his attitude when he crosses the white line that annoys me as well as the lack of contribution to the team. He maybe flashy and capable of getting great scores at times, but I'd take Bonner Maher over him any day of the week.

Black Suir wrote: »
    No but if he was, I rather see him at the other end of the field. Thats not to say he would not do a job if asked in defence.

Not hitting at you on this one, but isnt it a little ironic that people are wondering about Fourmilewater players that are not in the panel. When Michael Ryan brought in a few of them at the start of the year to look at some of them, he was accused of trying to make hurlers out of footballers and showing favouritism towards his own club. Sometimes I'm sure a manager or selector will feel that they cant win.

I agree, and then you try and defend a players position in the team rationally and the counter argument you get is an accusation of allegiance to said club.

That said, I don't think anybody questioned his place in the team when he was there at the start of the year, and I think he left the panel due to his leaving cert. That's what I heard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pairc Ui Caoimh it is. Horrible hole of a stadium :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yep what a load of shite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yep what a load of shite.

I guess ye don't like the páirc:pac:

The 2 hard games will bring Tipp on no end and with Lar just about back, I think they will make it back to back wins down the páirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ya the pairc is a hole. And we'll be majorly up against it against Tipp. But for sure id prefer to be down there as opposed to tullamore, portlaoise or whereever in a qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Very good game today big win for Tipp, they will feel they have another Munster title in the bag and who can argue with them. We will need a big improvement in our performance to compete with Tipperary. Its great to qualify for a Munster Final but if we are beaten again its not going to do our morale any good. All to look forward to and who knows Pairc Ui Chaoimh has been good to us before and it will be the anniversary of that great win over Tipp ten years ago. I'm sure that wont be lost on the Premier also, they will look back at last year and try to repeat that performance. Scully and his panel have their work cut out to try and prevent that happening best of luck to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ya the pairc is a hole. And we'll be majorly up against it against Tipp. But for sure id prefer to be down there as opposed to tullamore, portlaoise or whereever in a qualifier.

Well, that's the kind of places this Cork team will get the necessary experience that they badly need. I think they played very well today but will improve from the games they will get in the qualifiers.

KevIRL wrote: »

I agree whichever team had won it would be tough. Both forward lines are very free scoring. Tipp didn't create many goal chances today though, and I don't think Cork's backline is much better than ours at full strength (we'll have to sweat over the fitness of Connors and Fives I guess). Bonner Maher was immense and it'll be interesting to see is it him or Noel McGrath that lines out on Brick. Noel McGrath always causes problems when he plays there, but Bonner Maher I reckon could do a great job in disrupting Brick's momentum and stopping Waterford using him as a platform to build attacks. I'd put Moran on him if he plays on the wings.

Tipp's midfield looks a bit dodgy I must say. Lorcan McLoughlin excelled there today. Thought Brendan Maher looked better than Shane McGrath though, was surprised he was taken off first. Pauric Maher came into it in the end, but he wasn't the force he usually is and Cork did ok in the half forward line, and while it's a talented line, Cronin has a tendency to drift in and out of games as does Naughton and Lehane was playing his first championship match. It was Cork's first game so Tipp had the edge on them there, which definetly made a difference. It's in the full forward line that Cork caused most of the problems, though they've a very good inside line. We created quite a lot of goal chances against Clare. Three from open play, and there was potential for a goal opportunity the time Shane Walsh took an early shot that dropped short and when Maurice took his point.

I know Clare and Tipp are different animals but we can still gain confidence from that. I think we'll need goals because if it's a straight shootout Tipp would win every time.

One positive is that Kelly and Corbett didn't start today whihc is more their own doing than their replacements (not writing them off by the way), and they accounted for 6-7 from play of Tipp's score last year. Tipp will do everything to start Corbett simply for the fear and doubt it would put in Waterford's mind, but he'll need to improve a fair bit in training on what was seen today to manage to make in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I wasnt referring to cork at all just ourselves. Theres no doubt that from what we've seen so far this year cork are in the top 3 teams in the country and no one Will want to draw cork in yhe qualifiers for sure

De La Salle 4-23 Roanmore 0-09. God help Dunhill.

Dungarvan led by 9 points in the other game about 5 minutes ago, under 10 mins left at this stage.

Something I noticed in the Observer and that has been confirmed by the Waterford GAA website is that the East and West u21 Hurling championships are due to commence on the 4th of July. On the same day, the county minor hurling championships are also supposed to start. A calamity waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

De La Salle 4-23 Roanmore 0-09. God help Dunhill.

Dungarvan led by 9 points in the other game about 5 minutes ago, under 10 mins left at this stage.

Something I noticed in the Observer and that has been confirmed by the Waterford GAA website is that the East and West u21 Hurling championships are due to commence on the 4th of July. On the same day, the county minor hurling championships are also supposed to start. A calamity waiting to happen.

Our minor manager told us the first game of county championship is the 2nd. That's wrong I'd say what you read. Some of the lads play u21 on the panel aswell so they would know at this stage if there clashing I'd say. U16 championship starts on Wednesday night looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement