Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ironically the extension of the line to Navan was financially impractical. During the crazy days of "lets reopen any rail line that we can", some of us got caught up in the madness of it all. Once the motorway opened, the case for the railway along the original direct route was finished. FF and Dempsey were liars right to the end and I suspect that was driven by Dempseys "local" aspect. Let's remember that MCC and the Government actively destroyed the alignment via various schemes, in particular the M3 project. The idea of reopening to Navan was never ever on the table in any realistic fashion.

I'd learn how to play the guitar part in Duelling Banjos and lose a stone weight if there ever was any chance of it opening..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I'd learn how to play the guitar part in Duelling Banjos and lose a stone weight if there ever was any chance of it opening..

Naked? As someone else proposed many years ago.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Naked? As someone else proposed many years ago.:D

That's the idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's hilarious to me that they're bundling the tail end of Luas Cross City into this cap-ex, and also including new Metro North even though they won't start on it till 2021!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Delivery in 2026/27! No rush anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's hilarious to me that they're bundling the tail end of Luas Cross City into this cap-ex, and also including new Metro North even though they won't start on it till 2021!
    That's the thing that caught me out. What kind of a B.S. plan for current infrastructure development doesn't even break ground for at least 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Construction commencing in 2021. So if the government are re-elected construction still won't have started during their next term in office. I fear this will never happen.

joe_99 wrote: »
    Construction commencing in 2021. So if the government are re-elected construction still won't have started during their next term in office. I fear this will never happen.
    That's what I really don't understand - I know construction couldn't start tomorrow or even perhaps in 6 months; but surely a view to commencing construction in 2017 or so would be doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's the thing that caught me out. What kind of a B.S. plan for current infrastructure development doesn't even break ground for at least 5 years?

It doesn't look like it's even funded in the plan. It'll never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I'd love if the media went with the headlines of "Metro North delayed for another 12 years" rather than regurgitate the government's press release. The fuc*ers need to be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you can be damn sure all of the other stuff will happen and the money drawn down! 2021?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Sure the airport alone then, will only have 35,000,000 or so passengers I guess & we are grand on the housing front aswell, sure they can all just use the roads or the current non existent rail options in the area...

Ill give FF a second choice vote, they might actually get something done, we nearly had DU and MN started when the s**t hit the fan... We need Labour out anyway....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

. The fuc*ers need to be embarrassed.

I do not think that is possible.

Hilarious!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the only saving grace is, I doubt after this recession, if they could foist the joke of a luas proposal on us now, just as we come out of the recession, it is out of the equation totally going into the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'd love if the media went with the headlines of "Metro North delayed for another 12 years" rather than regurgitate the government's press release. The fuc*ers need to be embarrassed.

LOL. Funny joke, no really.....hilarious.

Cue not a whisper from any journalists or media outlets.

"Metro linking Dublin city to airport centre piece of €27bn plan" - Irish Times.

Judging by that headline a newbie would think that this Metro is a brand new idea.

"Revealed: The 19 minute journey from Dublin City to Airport on Metro" - Irish Indo
    Wow, this is a great idea, how has no one thought of this before???

We're a laughing stock my friends, a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Airport Luas and people mover cancelled in favour of an optimised metro north - what great news, it will be so much better for the people of these areas in the next few years.

Whats that?

Well, its more of a promise, we havnt given any money to the project and we reckon it will start in 2021 and be finished in 2027.

Right - well i suppose at least it is the right project so better than fudging it. You're not doing anything stupid are you?

Well to save €79 million we're going to shorten the platforms.

But what if that needs to change in the future, wont extending tunnels underground cost multiples of that amount.

Sure we were able to widen the M50 werent we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Well to save €79 million we're going to shorten the platforms.
    Only to spend 379 million later to lengthen them... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Only to spend 379 million later to lengthen them... :rolleyes:

"compromise"

Ok so. Lets call a spade a spade.

No DU - Back in planning.

NO MN - Technically back in planning.

The only difference between the two is a vague committment to starting on MN by 2021.

Nothing will be built. Believe that. Shame on the media for being ignorant fools too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Ok so. Lets call a spade a spade.

No DU - Back in planning.

NO MN - Technically back in planning.

The only difference between the two is a vague committment to starting on MN by 2021.

Nothing will be built. Believe that. Shame on the media for being ignorant fools too.

The Infrastructure and Capital Investment plan is a big load of hot air. This is a complete disaster and will not deliver anything resembling what the media think it will deliver.

The Infrastructure and Capital Investment plan is a big load of hot air. This is a complete disaster and will not deliver anything resembling what the media think it will deliver.
    Have to agree - having looked at the full plan, they aren't really committing to doing much of anything in the next few years. This is dishonest electioneering and unfortunately the media are lapping it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Have to agree - having looked at the full plan, they aren't really committing to doing much of anything in the next few years. This is dishonest electioneering and unfortunately the media are lapping it up.

Exactly. Jam tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Watch this space, they've gone for tax cuts.

It's plain as day, there is nothing in this plan of any substance. They're letting the railway order lapse on the one project which was shovel-ready, DU, without even making the minimal investment to CPO the land, and Kenny's bullish about an election date next year.

It's electioneering in the extreme, they're betting that a few extra euro in our back pockets from Jan, will give them enough a feel-good factor to win the election in Feb/Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

spuddy wrote: »
    Watch this space, they've gone for tax cuts.

It's plain as day, there is nothing in this plan of any substance. They're letting the railway order lapse on the one project which was shovel-ready, DU, without even making the minimal investment to CPO the land, and Kenny's bullish about an election date next year.

It's electioneering in the extreme, they're betting that a few extra euro in our back pockets from Jan, will give them enough a feel-good factor to win the election in Feb/Mar.

It really looks like it alright! Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Probably because it has to go through the planning process all over again given OMN is a new scheme from the currently approved MN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Probably because it has to go through the planning process all over again given OMN is a new scheme from the currently approved MN.

Is it possible to apply to amend the current railway order with the changes that MN 2.0 brings, or does a new one have to be applied for in any case?

Here's my answer.
    Despite running along the same route as the previous scheme, the new line will need to be planned from scratch and the old “railway order” - the planning permission granted for the line by An Bord Pleanála in October 2010 - cannot be reused.

However the €170 million spent on the previous metro, largely in its planning and design, will not be wasted, according to Mr Donohoe.

“A new railway order will be needed because of the changes I have announced today. The €170 million that has already been invested in the design of the old project - much of that will be used again to enable and support the design works that will take place.”

A post in this very thread (page 103) going back to January 2012. It was right on the money. Sorry I don't know how to link it properly. But here's a screen grab image of it. Well worth a read.

Big pat on the back!

Infrastructure prediction 2012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

?width=375&version=2358216
    Route map

I think the decision to go with shorter trams is short sighted and a serious error of judgement. The 60m length is not much more than the luas green line and they are absoutely wedged morning rushour. Add to that airport passangers with suitcases and luggage and were all set for another fiasco.

Im just back from Munich an I had the pleasure of ridinding around on the ubahn and sbahn. Munich is not terribly larger than Dublin and they opperate up to 120m heavy rail trains (3 double carriges). Taking into account the larger population, 90m trams would have been the right choice for the paltry extra expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It is time to forget about looking for crumbs from the rural politicans' tables and push now for major change in local government in the greater Dublin area. The Dail has not served the city or region well at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement