Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEER BELLY

Comments

Saipanne wrote: »
    Hahaha! Sorry, you're right. I meant when I make a meal, it's from scratch with raw ingredients. But yeah, snacks are processed as hell. I'm trying to cut down, and I've done better, of late.

Don't cut down, cut out ;)

Someone had a deadly quote somewhere on here....I'll be back with some inspirational quotes because I know how everyone just LOVES those :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

JJJJNR wrote: »

your belly won't do down, if you just run and don't do any other excerise.

Eeeh what??? of course it will. don't mind him. I have seen plenty of people start jogging and lose their belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

If you remember the 80/20 rule you will see improvement.
    80% Diet 20% exercise.
    All the running in the world won't matter if you're not eating correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Obviously running is way more focused on the legs, so your upper body strenght won't improve and your belly won't do down, if you just run and don't do any other excerise.

You could lie in bed all day every day and as long as you eat fewer calories than you consume then your body fat will go down. This is very basic biology and you shouldn't be giving out advice if you don't even know that much.

Obviously exercise is necessary for overall health but being a healthy weight is about caloric intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You could try mountain biking, its fun, very high impact cardiovascular excercise, your basically working every joint and muscle in your body on the climbs and decents,
    Eh? Not really.
    There's some upper body required, but not every muscle. And there a pretty big lower lower body bias, and within that an anterior bias.
    As for joints, upper boast joints more through a tiny range of there ROM. Hip extension is limited ROM.
    Obviously running is way more focused on the legs, so your upper body strenght won't improve and your belly won't do down, if you just run and don't do any other excerise.
    That's not true. Burning fat from an area of your body has nothing to do with the area you are working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You could try mountain biking, its fun, very high impact cardiovascular excercise

Cycling is zero impact. You're off the ground.
    I'm not even going to address the rest of your posts because others already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Zero impact? your bouncing your bike off rocks, trees and boulders, thats high impact and will strenghten your joints, and improve your upper body strenght, its low impact on your legs as its the upper body that is doing all the work when you are trying to steer the bike downhill at speed. Its a full core workout, whoever thinks its not is doing it wrong.

Zillah wrote: »
    You could lie in bed all day every day and as long as you eat fewer calories than you consume then your body fat will go down. This is very basic biology and you shouldn't be giving out advice if you don't even know that much.

Obviously exercise is necessary for overall health but being a healthy weight is about caloric intake.

If you read the OP there is no mention of lowering the caloric intake, obvious post is obvious.

Eeeh what??? of course it will. don't mind him. I have seen plenty of people start jogging and lose their belly!

It won't you need to diet also, the OP does not mention changing their diet.

80% Diet 20% exercise.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It won't you need to diet also, the OP does not mention changing their diet.

You still said the OP's belly won't go down if he 'just run and don't do any other excerise'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Jesus man english please.

What the heck is that ?

If you're going to go down the road of chastising people for their English, when they're just doing their best to contribute... then at least make a cogent sentence yourself :D

As to the op... the first step before any calorie-counting or sit-ups is to address and change this kind of thinking...
    in relation to diet,in the past i have reduced the amount that i eat but binge over the weekend,i feel like i deserve a reward after a hard weeks work,find it very difficult to diet.

Just to clarify "if you don't do any other excerise or diet".

the OP does not mention changing their diet.
    wormwood1 wrote: »
    i gave up drinking for 8 months

Look, when you're in a hole, stop digging.

?? he does not mention changing diet, they have given up drink 8 months prev, obviously that didnt work. Only person digging is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Alzo90

you would think there should be a sticky for this kind of carry on.

Seriously, well done for keeping off the porter for a long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What you are saying is still nonsense, if he burns more calories that he ingests then he will lose the belly, it doesn't matter if it is diet or exercise, or what that exercise is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Alzo90

Its probably best to introduce resistance training (weight training, body weight training) and aerobic and anaerobic conditioning (cycling, running, sprinting, swimming) while on the caloric deficit to minimize muscle loss. It will probably make you feel really good aswell unless there is something wrong with your diet or recovery or bloods.

Its not nonsense at all, you need a full body work out to loose your belly fat, running alone won't help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good advice, I'm on a 160000 calorie deficit in the last year and you do notice the muscle loss (weak like baby), do some work to prevent it now and again.

• Advertisement

Alzo90 wrote: »
    you would think there should be a sticky for this kind of carry on.

There are. People don't read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

80% Diet 20% exercise.

I don't believe this.

For one it's closer to 50/50 than the internet would have you think.
    in my humble opinion.

The internet loves extremes saying 60/40 or 50/50 isn't as cool as 80:20 or 90:10.

You need hard training and good diet , I've rarely seen good sustained progress without both being reasonably good.
    Sure you'll lose weight in Weightwatchers just by dieting but proper body recomp won't happen

Plus it's great saying 80% diet cos when trainers don't get results they fall back and blame the clients diet and say "well diet is most of it and you were clearly eating chocolate"

Finally a moderately decent diet with running will see improvements - but an excellent diet with running will see more . It's about levels of improvement. You don't see no improvement unless everything is good to perfect.

I'm applying for a research grant for this lads stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Its not nonsense at all, you need a full body work out to loose your belly fat, running alone won't help.

I thought you agreed with the 80% diet thing.

Now you have to do a full-body workout?

Good advice, I'm on a 160000 calorie deficit in the last year and you do notice the muscle loss (weak like baby), do some work to prevent it now and again.

Wow your online image is nothing like the real you, maybe you should try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

LOL

30min alternate between running and cross training activities should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Why does the body decide to lose fat from one region in particular ? I don't understand that.

Apparently he thinks diet will work but running will not, unless you do the mystical stomach fat burning exercises :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Let's say I do a water only diet. No food.

I do no exercise. I lie down all day and night.

I die with my current belly fat, apparently.

Advertisement