Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEER BELLY

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Saipanne wrote: »
    Let's say I do a water only diet. No food.

I do no exercise. I lie down all day and night.

I die with my current belly fat, apparently.

Poor Saipanne, you can see from his corpse that he didn't do crossfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Should have done Enduro MTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Another car crash of a thread in fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJJJNR wrote: »
    It won't you need to diet also, the OP does not mention changing their diet.
    Its not nonsense at all, you need a full body work out to loose your belly fat, running alone won't help.
    So you are trying to say running alone without changing his diet won't burn belly fat, but mountain biking somehow will??

Cyclocross%20World%20Championships%20in%20Koksijde%20face%20plant%20accident%20fail1357317306.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

funny-pictures-the-worst-part-about-running-a-5k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Its not nonsense at all, you need a full body work out to loose your belly fat, running alone won't help.
    If you eat around 15,000 calories a week whilst running 70-80km, there is a great chance you will lose a "beer belly" whether you do any other exercises or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

funny-pictures-the-worst-part-about-running-a-5k.jpg

Dig Up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Same as rubadub here. Even when drinking beer every night and bingeing at weekends it doesn't affect my weight. Managed to lose 1.5 stone and get pretty ripped by changing diet and eating less recently, while having a couple of beers most weeknights, 4 cans maybe, and way too much at weekend.
    Not healthy I know but it definitely doesn't affect my weight at all. Do you piss it all out before it turns to calories?
    I've cut it out during week since last week as I can workout better with no alc in my system and all that liquor can't be good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Same as rubadub here. Even when drinking beer every night and bingeing at weekends it doesn't affect my weight. Managed to lose 1.5 stone and get pretty ripped by changing diet and eating less recently, while having a couple of beers most weeknights, 4 cans maybe, and way too much at weekend.
    Not healthy I know but it definitely doesn't affect my weight at all. Do you piss it all out before it turns to calories?
    I've cut it out during week since last week as I can workout better with no alc in my system and all that liquor can't be good for me!

You must be a young guy with a very fast metabolism or great genetics to be " pretty ripped " while drinking four beers a night and going on the session at weekends !!

It won't last forever.......

tastyt wrote: »
    You must be a young guy with a very fast metabolism or great genetics to be " pretty ripped " while drinking four beers a night and going on the session at weekends !!

I'm 35 next month. It was the same case when I was 25. It just boils down to eating well and not too much for me. I have seen the same results in other borderline alcoholic fitness friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'm 35 next month. It was the same case when I was 25. It just boils down to eating well and not too much for me. I have seen the same results in other borderline alcoholic fitness friends.

You won't get away with it in ten years' time, dude. I was that svelte young gunslinger once.

Now? I'm not overweight or anything but could do with a tone-up, certainly. You have to be far more careful as you get older.

You won't get away with it in ten years' time, dude. I was that svelte young gunslinger once.

Now? I'm not overweight or anything but could do with a tone-up, certainly. You have to be far more careful as you get older.

I'll enjoy it while it feckin lasts so! I do train hard though and eat almost zero carbs per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

It cant be put simpler than this.

If you want to lose weight sort out your diet.

If you want to get fit sort out your training.

All the sit ups in the world aint gonna sort that belly out if your diet isnt right.

Eating healthy, by the way is a hell of a lot cheaper than eating crap.

Your shopping should consist of two visits.

One to the butchers and one to the fruit and veg shop.

I understand this isnt as simple for people with young kids, but for an adult, meat and veg should be the staple diet. Throw some fruit in there aswell. I tend to avoid the likes of bandannas as they are high in natural sugars and they dont fill me up anyway.

Start eating fish. Most fish can be cooked in 10/15 mins, which funnily enough is just as long as it will take to boil/oven bake some veg.
    Season it with some garlic/lemon/lime etc and serve with broccoli/asparagus etc.

With regards junk food. just remember, in the supermarket you only have to say no once. If you buy that sh1t you have a decision to make every time you open that cupboard.

Treats are good but try and save them for all at once.

I tend to have a cheat day every week. but i take 24 hours.

So ill start at 6pm on a saturday and finish 6pm on sunday, this means i can have my few beers on sat evening and maybe a curry/take away and if im feeling **** in the morning i can have a fry! Once 6pm hits thats it over.

This suits me however as i train mon to sat. Finish training sat at 12:30 and im resting then till mon evening again.

Hope some of this has helped..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

tastyt wrote: »

I'm turning 37 and am mostly the same if I stick to the diet. I have cut down the beer significantly but I work out and watch my diet I never put on weight from booze. average about 20 odd beers a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Age makes very very little difference actually. Calories from alcohol aren't processed the same as food calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why the Body May Waste the Calories From Alcohol
    The Journal of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition under the title, "Perspectives: Do Alcohol Calories Count?"

The answer, he said, is yes and no: yes, for a moderate social drinker who has a cocktail before dinner or an occasional glass of wine or a beer. For these people, alcohol calories can indeed add up. Body Learns to Waste Calories

But chronic heavy drinking can prime certain metabolic processes and, in effect, train the body to waste the seven calories a gram that alcohol ordinarily provides.

For example, weight gain was negligible in alcoholics who were given 2,000 calories of alcohol daily on top of the 2,500 calories from foods they consumed to maintain their weight. But when the same number of additional calories were fed as chocolate, a steady weight gain resulted.

Thus, the energy waste associated with a heavy intake of alcohol cannot be attributed to a reduction in the intake of other foods. More likely, it results from interference with the body's ability to derive energy from other foods.

There was another study on calories where they fed prisoners huge amounts of food, guys were on 10,000kcal a day but only got so big, they could just not put on more fat -though this did not involve alcohol it was showing that your body can indeed appear to not use them as efficiently as it might.

Another study had what I presume were 2 groups of non-chronic drinkers, having 500kcal a day extra as either a sugary drink or alcohol. The sugar drinkers put on more fat. One poster was saying "aha, but thats sugar, it would cause insulin spikes, blah, blah, blah" as though it was rubbishing the study, but in fact he was simply admitting he already reckoned the effect of calorie intake will not be the same.

Then there are digestibility factors, 500kcal of well cooked rice or peanut butter will typically give the body more energy than 500kcal or raw rice or unchewed peanuts.

Heineken list their beer as 3.5% sugar, which is about 1/3rd the sugar of coke, so you have to factor that in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

rubadub wrote: »
    Why the Body May Waste the Calories From Alcohol

There was another study on calories where they fed prisoners huge amounts of food, guys were on 10,000kcal a day but only got so big, they could just not put on more fat -though this did not involve alcohol it was showing that your body can indeed appear to not use them as efficiently as it might.

Another study had what I presume were 2 groups of non-chronic drinkers, having 500kcal a day extra as either a sugary drink or alcohol. The sugar drinkers put on more fat. One poster was saying "aha, but thats sugar, it would cause insulin spikes, blah, blah, blah" as though it was rubbishing the study, but in fact he was simply admitting he already reckoned the effect of calorie intake will not be the same.

Then there are digestibility factors, 500kcal of well cooked rice or peanut butter will typically give the body more energy than 500kcal or raw rice or unchewed peanuts.

Heineken list their beer as 3.5% sugar, which is about 1/3rd the sugar of coke, so you have to factor that in too.

So from that I can extrapolate the following theory - DRINK MOAR !!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you read more of the article it says the process by which the body converts the alcohol is terrible for your health, even if you aren't gaining weight.

If you read more of the article it says the process by which the body converts the alcohol is terrible for your health, even if you aren't gaining weight.

Yes, but thats not what this thread is about. Drinking till you black out will likely have negative effects, i doubt that is in dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This thead was a car crash 3 pages ago. I don't know what it is now.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    This thead was a car crash 3 pages ago. I don't know what it is now.

You only think that because you are eating bread, which our ancestors didn't eat and they were very healthy. rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Age makes very very little difference actually. Calories from alcohol aren't processed the same as food calories.

A pint of Bulmers cider is 4.7% alcohol. How is the the other 95.3% of the drink processed ?

colossus-x wrote: »
    A pint of Bulmers cider is 4.7% alcohol. How is the the other 95.3% of the drink processed ?

Read like 6 posts up maybe?

Yes, but thats not what this thread is about. Drinking till you black out will likely have negative effects, i doubt that is in dispute.

This thread is about nothing now, the point is that people who say they drink loads and do not put on weight from it are harming themselves, according to the article posted explaining why they aren't putting on weight. It's not exactly drinking til you black out levels that will cause this.

This thread is about nothing now, the point is that people who say they drink loads and do not put on weight from it are harming themselves, according to the article posted explaining why they aren't putting on weight. It's not exactly drinking til you black out levels that will cause this.

I though the point was that you cant directly equate calories from alcohol into weight gain? Given that the thread is titled beer belly and people mistakenly assume beer calories = food calories there is no harm in clarifying that it isnt that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

colossus-x wrote: »

Most of that 95.3% is water, so I imagine it's simply pissed away

I though the point was that you cant directly equate calories from alcohol into weight gain? Given that the thread is titled beer belly and people mistakenly assume beer calories = food calories there is no harm in clarifying that it isnt that simple.

While true that some people think that I'm not sure it's good to muddy the waters and let people think they can drink a few pints a night and be healthy, I'm prery sure I can poison myself lots of ways and not gain weight from the calories :p
    I was under the impression that people just realised men gain weight there the easiest and it has nothing to do with the title. For those that don't know beer belly is actually a thing so that is where people get the term beer belly from but has nothing to do with calories. It is caused by ascites. Its not all fat. Its stored fluid due to low albumin levels that causes decreased colloid pressure in the capillaries which in turn causes fluid retention in the abdomen. Its caused by liver damage. It happens when drinkers develop cirrhosis of the liver and can end up killing them. It can be an early sign that you should stop drinking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

To lose a beer belly nothing is more important than diet. Cut out processed foods as far as possible and try to eat fresh food and cook it yourself if you can. Lean meat, lots of veggies. Change white bread and pasta for 100% wholewheat bread, pasta, brown rice and quinoa. For snacks, fruit, nuts, rice cakes with almond butter or cottage cheese etc. After a while you won't miss the sugary crap.

Exercise will really help obviously. Even a half hour walking a several times a week will make a difference but ideally mix cardio with some resistance training three times a week which will increase metabolism.

The above would mean a big lifestyle change for most people but if you do it the beer belly will go over time, guaranteed.

Advertisement