Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimmynokia wrote: »

They ship most things, but not phones

s6kfgj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

f*ck that LOL:D

3 got in the dummy models today so they must be launching soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

3 got in the dummy models today so they must be launching soon :D

Are they in the store now jimmy or just in their distribution centre? might pay a visit over to a 3 store in the morning.

they just got the dummies in so i reckon they will be in next week or the week after im trying to sus out who has them
    weather its bpi or radius
    these companies distribute nokia here i have account with these myself they are very tight lipped about it

• Advertisement

I thought bpi did the distribution for 02 i used to collect their products for distribution throughout Ireland a few years ago,And VF had their dist center in sandyford.
    If you manage to get a price from 3 for payg will you post it here jimmy going get ready to sell the iphone 4 now:D.

BPI do 02 and now 3
    vodas place also called 20/20 LOGISTICS is for voda and CPW
    dont worry as soon as i hear a single word you will know

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Hey guys,

the great announcement yesterday by Nokia that they are moving to update Symbian as on the N8/C7 with new UI, etc. that they were planning for Symbian>4
    means getting an N8 is a whole lot better than it was going to be!!

See http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/10/21/nokia-focuses-on-qt-to-extend-reach-for-developers-make-mobile-experience-richer-for-users/

its talk at the moment will it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

in the o2 store grafton st today they have a mock n8 for display. They reckon it's any day now, but it seems to be very one hand friendly. I like. Also, 379 payg, or between 120 - 180 bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

dr ro wrote: »
    in the o2 store grafton st today they have a mock n8 for display. They reckon it's any day now, but it seems to be very one hand friendly. I like. Also, 379 payg, or between 120 - 180 bill.

Tried one out in Vodafone store Cork yesterday, nice bit of kit, they will be on sale tomorrow if they have them in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bogman wrote: »
    Tried one out in Vodafone store Cork yesterday, nice bit of kit, they will be on sale tomorrow if they have them in stock

Which store?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 elverstown

Got one. nice feel to it, first smart fone, dont know how to get the best out of it yet ( previously 5800) feel a bit like the dogs that chase cars; if they caught one , what would the do with it:D
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Vodafone have it now for 419.99 in the shop and 409.99 Online for the Nokia N8 is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Vodafone have it now for 419.99 in the shop and 409.99 Online for the Nokia N8 is it worth it?

If you're looking for the best cameraphone on the market then yes, but if you're looking for a handset that will do much of anything else then I'd say no. Have a read of the review here to see exactly what the OS is like to work with.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If you're looking for the best cameraphone on the market then yes, but if you're looking for a handset that will do much of anything else then I'd say no. Have a read of the review here to see exactly what the OS is like to work with.

here is link
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=497045&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

there is many issues with this and probs growing by the day
    im going to go with the C7

Not sure that I completely understand the above sentence, but the link is just one site's review. Obviously you'd need to check out a couple more to ensure you're not just reading insular, pro american device/software websites. For example read the comments attached to the linked site. The second comment links to another very different review, by an american reviewer. Symbian is different to ios and android. That doesn't make it bad. Many people prefer it because it's customizable, unlike other op systems. I can't really think of many things it can't do that other smart phones can, maybe except bluetooth to iphone!

Which store?

Sorry for the delay, Vodafone Wilton, didnt see ur post, the manager was surprised at how fast it was but seems it still has a way to go

meteor have said they will have it this week:)

did they say how much

• Advertisement

no tryin to find out that now also if its going to be available for billpay and payg

http://www.whatmobile.net/2010/10/nokia-n8-review/

Very fine review here, most flattering ive seen

Summary
    As a result, the N8 will still do better for those people who aren’t worried about apps or games. As a self-contained phone, the N8 is class-leading, but until we see Symbian^4 devices in the middle of 2011, Nokia still has a way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

dr ro wrote: »
    Not sure that I completely understand the above sentence, but the link is just one site's review. Obviously you'd need to check out a couple more to ensure you're not just reading insular, pro american device/software websites. For example read the comments attached to the linked site. The second comment links to another very different review, by an american reviewer. Symbian is different to ios and android. That doesn't make it bad. Many people prefer it because it's customizable, unlike other op systems. I can't really think of many things it can't do that other smart phones can, maybe except bluetooth to iphone!

To clarify, the N8 appears to be the best camerphone on the market but, in comparison to other smartphones, it doesn't do so well. The OS is the main issue, which I've read about from more than one review site, and the touchscreen functionality is lacking. This and the woeful web browser certainly indicates that while the N8 might excel when it comes to its photographic credentials, it certainly isn't going to be a handset that will compare to best smartphones currently available. Given the prevalence of successful Android handsets, e.g. Galaxy S, HTC Desire, Motorola Droid etc, and the likes of the iPhone 4, the N8 will have a hard time winning over users who are accustomed to a more functional user experience.

In addition, I've never heard of GSMArena being accused of being biased or "pro american", but of course the user who I replied to should read more than one review if they're interested in buying the N8. I merely linked to the GSMArena review as I've found them to be unbiased in their reviews over the last six or seven years that I've been visiting their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

To clarify, the N8 appears to be the best camerphone on the market but, in comparison to other smartphones, it doesn't do so well. The OS is the main issue, which I've read about from more than one review site, and the touchscreen functionality is lacking. This and the woeful web browser certainly indicates that while the N8 might excel when it comes to its photographic credentials, it certainly isn't going to be a handset that will compare to best smartphones currently available. Given the prevalence of successful Android handsets, e.g. Galaxy S, HTC Desire, Motorola Droid etc, and the likes of the iPhone 4, the N8 will have a hard time winning over users who are accustomed to a more functional user experience.

In addition, I've never heard of GSMArena being accused of being biased or "pro american", but of course the user who I replied to should read more than one review if they're interested in buying the N8. I merely linked to the GSMArena review as I've found them to be unbiased in their reviews over the last six or seven years that I've been visiting their site.

In fairness there's at least 4 very good free browsers available for it so I don't think the native browser is an issue.

My main issue would be the screen resolution but even that isn't any worse than the iPhone 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

here is link
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=497045&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

there is many issues with this and probs growing by the day
    im going to go with the C7
    What issues and problems are you talking about Jimmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Vodafone: *pre-pay €409, 18-month post-pay contract: €49 to €109 (with online signup), was quoted "around €100 to around €180" in store.
    Black only at first, Silver and Green to follow.

O2: pre-pay €479, 18-month post-pay contract: €289 :eek:
    Silver only at first. No info on other colours. No, I did not mis-type that figure, by the way - O2 really are charging €30 more for this handset than for an iPhone 4 (SIM-free from Expansys, the N8 is actually €180 cheaper than the iPhone 4).

eMobile (and so, probably Meteor): Not in stock yet, so no pricing yet, but they are going to carry it in Black and Silver. They also said that it "shouldn't be a problem" to special-order the other coloured models once supplies get going. (I am sceptical)

Three: Couldn't tell me if they were going to carry it or not, but "probably will".

I'm an O2 customer since the day Digifone launched thirteen years ago, but there's no way I'm going to give them an extra €180 for this phone... might look into e-Mobile's offers.

KrisW wrote: »
    Vodafone: *pre-pay €409, 18-month post-pay contract: €49 to €109 (with online signup), was quoted "around €100 to around €180" in store.
    Black only at first, Silver and Green to follow.

O2: pre-pay €479, 18-month post-pay contract: €289 :eek:
    Silver only at first. No info on other colours. No, I did not mis-type that figure, by the way - O2 really are charging €30 more for this handset than for an iPhone 4 (SIM-free from Expansys, the N8 is actually €180 cheaper than the iPhone 4).

eMobile (and so, probably Meteor): Not in stock yet, so no pricing yet, but they are going to carry it in Black and Silver. They also said that it "shouldn't be a problem" to special-order the other coloured models once supplies get going. (I am sceptical)

Three: Couldn't tell me if they were going to carry it or not, but "probably will".

I'm an O2 customer since the day Digifone launched thirteen years ago, but there's no way I'm going to give them an extra €180 for this phone... might look into e-Mobile's offers.

I was in one of their stores today and they had a dummy N8 have to say i like the feel to it,also on their website http://www.three.ie/shop/nokia-n8-black-classic-max.htm only problem is on payg it is 499e the same price of a sim free one direct from nokia:eek:. they also had the htc hd in as well (dummy one) jesus it is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah yeah but you can't exactly get one direct from Nokia in Ireland which is exceptionally gay!!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah yeah but you can't exactly get one direct from Nokia in Ireland which is exceptionally gay!!!

how is that gay? Phones on line now has it in stock in blue for a whopping 549 euro

• Advertisement

How can the likes of Three charge 500 quid and yet VF charge 410 for the same handset,Anyone know do you get free credit with payg phones these days on the networks as it would be of no use to me as im a bill customer.

Advertisement