Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

Why? As pointed out it is the most natural and gives the best food for the baby. What do you want next? Disabled people not allowed in restaurants as they might make you feel uneasy? Where should the mother feed the baby, in the toilet? nice and clean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table -
    this is just incorrect..... it is OK to do this... the law says.
    ====================================
    No. It's NOT incorrect. Read what I wrote again.
    Its NOT OK to Breast feed at a restaurant table.
    (Legality isn't even mentioned by me). :)

The point of my post is ....

quote "Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    ......Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses." unquote

Here .... you prove my point yourself ....

Quote: because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.

These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions." Unquote

Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

You've opened a can of worms now! Every 'wimmin' that thinks it's ok to expose themselves at a table for a 'natural function' is on your ass! And all the men that haven't an iota of individual thought will follow!

Let me be blunt:

I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no. It's NOT OK to cut your hair in Grafton strret and let it cuttings blow in the wind! It's NOT OK to walk around naked at the Spire because a naked body is 'natural'. It's NOT OK get pee eyed in Temple Bar and then vomit on the pavement after because it's a 'natural function' to cleanse your body of toxins. It's NOT OK for a 2 year old to be a noisy and obnoxious brat in a public place thereby reducing other people enjoyment of that place because the parent of such a brat doesn't want to discipline '... my little treasure - little Toby' because the parent is incompetent!

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have. Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants. There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private. Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses.

You must be joking, right? a breastfed baby is eating, not taking a dump. most women do it discretely and once again, you'll see more bare skin on a girl in the Temple on Friday night than on a breastfeeding woman. There maybe changing amenities in a reastaurant but you wouldn't eat there, would you? A toddler on solids makes more mess in a restaurant, what with all the rice, spuds, gravy etc. all around their plates when they are finished? Will you send them to eat near a toilet or move there yourself?
    Morals? Most cultures consider breastfeeding natural and are supportive of breastfeeding women because it is the normal and natural way of feeding your baby. Religion and hang ups? So if you see a muslim family beside you, you don't order pork? At the sight of an Indian family you'll tell the waiter to please remove your unfinished steak as soon as possible because they'd be offended? And should the nice vegetarian sitting beside you ask you not to order dead animals, you'll be OK with broccoli? Are you that considerate?

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Feeding your child is the most natural thing in the world but popping your tit out at lunchtime in a restaurant is not.

It you look at the women who do this they are invariably tree hugging feminist types who are just waiting for a confrontation.

Lots of women breast feed when they are out and about but you never see it because they are discreet which is the solution to keeping everybody happy.

Funny post, popping the tit out, ha bleeding ha..... FFS it's not like the mother ripped her top off and chucked her floppies around the place shoving them in everyones face. More than lightly she open a small amount of her blouse and took one breast out for the baby to feed from. Believe it or not they not have clothes designed to allow mothers feed in some privicay.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I got breast fed in a club once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres nothing dirty or sexual about it.it's one of the most beautiful and natural things on this planet.
    i despair at the twisted opinions on here against it!
    carry on girls, you will note you have an overwhelming amount of support on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Funny post, popping the tit out, ha bleeding ha..... FFS it's not like the mother ripped her top off and chucked her floppies around the place shoving them in everyones face. More than lightly she open a small amount of her blouse and took one breast out for the baby to feed from. Believe it or not they not have clothes designed to allow mothers feed in some privicay.

you don't even need special clothes, a loose top is grand to cover everything and for added discretion you can add a muselin cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

OP you should get a life really in this day and age. Fair play to anyone who breastfeeds ( I didn't have the willpower to stick with it) It's ignorance from people like you that puts people off. I doubt she appreciated you staring at her tits! And the poor baby should go hungry because it makes you uncomfortable???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yes - you're totally missing the point. Baby can't control itself so baby takes a dump in nappy. Naturally - it happens .... so you change him / her / it.

Do you do it at the restaurant table?
    No, because poo stinks and automatically offends other people. Breast milk does not stink and does not automatically offend others. You have to want to be offended, but you can just ignore it - unlike the smell of poo, which you can't ignore.
    It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.
    This has to be a troll, roight? A new mother has to worry about the "mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups" of others when feeding her baby? Just try and get your "hang-ups" between a new mother and her baby, and see what happens.

You and the OP probably have been around breast-feeding mothers before, but didn't know it was going on because it was done discreetly. That's a different question. In other parts of the world it's not offensive to breast-feed in public: why not? Less "civilised"? :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You've opened a can of worms now! Every 'wimmin' that thinks it's ok to expose themselves at a table for a 'natural function' is on your ass! And all the men that haven't an iota of individual thought will follow!

Let me be blunt:

I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no. It's NOT OK to cut your hair in Grafton strret and let it cuttings blow in the wind! It's NOT OK to walk around naked at the Spire because a naked body is 'natural'. It's NOT OK get pee eyed in Temple Bar and then vomit on the pavement after because it's a 'natural function' to cleanse your body of toxins. It's NOT OK for a 2 year old to be a noisy and obnoxious brat in a public place thereby reducing other people enjoyment of that place because the parent of such a brat doesn't want to discipline '... my little treasure - little Toby' because the parent is incompetent!

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have. Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants. There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private. Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses.

Oh why don't you just drag yourself into the 21st century and grow up a little.

Heaven forbid you ever leave this small country and travel around Europe - you'd probably have a coronary visiting some of the restaurants there.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

quote "Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    ......Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses." unquote

Quote: because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.

These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions." Unquote

Breastfeeding women had no legal entitlements until they got them .... but that's ok now .... you have entitlements .... f*.g everyone else? Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that amores.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Johntegr wrote: »

I get the impression you're inclined not to give up your seat on a train/bus/park bench for an OAP, pregnant lady, disable person etc.

For shame.

Really?

You do impressions? Why ashamed of that talent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Breastfeeding women had no legal entitlements until they got them .... but that's ok now .... you have entitlements .... f*.g everyone else? Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.
    It's not just the entitlements that make it ok. It was still ok to breastfeed in public in the days before these entitlements, in my opinion. I see no reason why it would cause a problem for other people. I can't speak for all breastfeeding mothers, but I don't strip off my top or wear a flashing light to attract attention to the fact that I'm feeding my hungry child. I don't ask people to look. In fact, I'd much rather they would avert their eyes. And get on with eating their meal. And let me to go about my business. That way, noone should be inconvenienced. No one should be offended. it's like someone else said. Some people would find it distasteful to eat beef or pork. That wouldn't mean that everyone else must refrain. In fact, I doubt that would cross anyone's mind as they order a steak.
    Fortunately, we live in a society where there are lots of different cultures, traditions, opinions. If someone else's beliefs (whatever they may be) are going to cause one a lot of anguish or discomfort, Then that person really needs to reconsider where they spend their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I'd be happy to get a mere glimpse of breast.

The baby on the end of it might be a bit of a hard on killer but thats the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its like drinking Vodka, its ok to do in Public, but when you do it in the toilet it becomes very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I don't see what the issue is. i remember back in 1998 while in Paris on the Eiffel tower up on the first level of it there was a women sitting down breast feeding a child, no one was taking any notice of her or getting upset.

anyway, not sure if this bit has been posted.
    What are your rights?
    If you are happy to breastfeed in a public area the owner, manager or staff of these premises (on their own behalf or on behalf of another customer) are not allowed to ask you to use separate facilities, or ask you to leave.

If you inform management and staff that you are being harassed by other customers for breastfeeding in public, they have a duty to protect you from this.

There are two pieces of legislation that protect breastfeeding mothers from discrimination* or harassment** while breastfeeding, The Equal Status Act (2000) and The Intoxicating Liquor Act (2003)

The Equal Status Act (2000) protects people from discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) in the use of and access to a wide range of services including shops and restaurants. Protection for mums breastfeeding in public is provided under two of the nine discriminatory grounds covered by the Act, Gender and Family Status. This Act helps mums to breastfeed comfortably in public places by protecting them from being discriminated against or harassed because they are breastfeeding.

The Intoxicating Liquor Act (2003) - Section 19 Protects against discrimination occurring in a public house and provides access to the District Court for redress.

*Discrimination is less favourable treatment, for example, asking someone to leave a premises because they are breastfeeding.

**Harassment is unwanted conduct (of a sexual nature in the case of sexual harassment) related to any of the discriminatory grounds covered by the Equal Status Act which has the purpose or effect of violating a person's dignity and creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for the person, in this case a breastfeeding mother.

For information on the Equal Status Act 2000 contact the Equality Authority on LoCall 1890-245 545 or visit www.equality.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd be happy to get a mere glimpse of breast.

The baby on the end of it might be a bit of a hard on killer but thats the price you pay.
    You're on the Internet, aren't you? I thought about posting a YouTube video of breast-feeding here, just to see what happened, but that could be taken as trolling ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

DonQuay, obviously you hate women and aren't very bright, but it IS ok to breastfeed in public... and eh, that's about it. It's also REALLY dumb to use the "taking a dump" analogy. Spectacularly so. And woefully lazy and unoriginal, despite those who use it thinking they're so clever.

TerrorFirmer, why is it "strangely" one-sided? The OP is wrong, it's not strange. Before the boring "She's not wrong just because you disagree with her" brigade pitch in: no, she is wrong, women have a right to breastfeed in public. And to you and Joe10000, who the fuk said it's ok for a woman to whip her boob out? You know, read the thread like, and you'll see numerous posts saying discretion is only apt - but even discreet women get grief from retards is what's a big part of the problem.

Or are ye looking for an argument just for the sake of going against the grain?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As I posted in a retail thread before... Some parents allow their kids to come into my shop and tear the place apart while they stand chatting on the phone or whatever, totally oblivious to their kids turning the place upside down.

Hold on a second. You own a shop? Then I suggest you update yourself on the law regarding breastfeeding post haste because if you ever ask a woman to stop breastfeeding in your shop or do not protect her from any harassment from the other customers, which includes any action that makes the environment in any way hostile to her, you will find yourself faced with a big fine.

You may not like that but to operate a premises you must follow the law and as you can see from this thread the vast, vast majority of people do not just disagree with you, they find your opinion utterly disgusting. So you can nearly guarantee that if you harass or allow a breastfeeding woman to be harassed someone will complain about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Right or wrong, I wouldn't want to witness a woman breastfeeding. I just wouldn't. It is rare in my experience to actually see it and most women would make a point of covering up as much as possible so you don't see anything anyway.

OP, just look away if it bothers you. Why would you stare at anyone else when you are having a meal with friends? I don't look at other people in restaurants - I focus on my own food :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

iguana wrote: »
    As I posted in a retail thread before... Some parents allow their kids to come into my shop and tear the place apart while they stand chatting on the phone or whatever, totally oblivious to their kids turning the place upside down.

Hold on a second. You own a shop? Then I suggest you update yourself on the law regarding breastfeeding post haste because if you ever ask a woman to stop breastfeeding in your shop or do not protect her from any harassment from the other customers, which includes any action that makes the environment in any way hostile to her, you will find yourself faced with a big fine.

You may not like that but to operate a premises you must follow the law and as you can see from this thread the vast, vast majority of people do not just disagree with you, they find your opinion utterly disgusting. So you can nearly guarantee that if you harass or allow a breastfeeding woman to be harassed someone will complain about you.

Babes I don't own a shop. Get off your high horse thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Funny, it's usually the women who whine about mothers breastfeeding, and they can never come up with a logical excuse for their protest. I'd swear they were masturbating in public the way people go on about it.

Expert tip: If you're offended, just look away.

Could someone explain what "on one's high horse" is? Because it looks as stupid and meaningless as PC brigade - and is never used as part of a strong argument - ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Right or wrong, I wouldn't want to witness a woman breastfeeding. I just wouldn't. It is rare in my experience to actually see it and most women would make a point of covering up as much as possible so you don't see anything anyway.

OP, just look away if it bothers you. Why would you stare at anyone else when you are having a meal with friends? I don't look at other people in restaurants - I focus on my own food :D

Ha it doesn't bother me that much Christ. Just because I called it ignorant and said there's a time and a place doesn't mean I was sitting at home upset and angry because a woman breast fed in a restaurant earlier! It's madness! :)

I started the thread to get a discussion going and to hear others opinions... Not to start a war :O

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Dudess wrote: »
    Could someone explain what "on one's high horse" is? Because it looks as stupid and meaningless as PC brigade - and is never used as part of a strong argument - ever.

I think it's just a different way of saying you're looking down on someone. Like you would if you were on a tall horse.

Babes I don't own a shop. Get off your high horse thanks.

Then learn English. The word 'my' implies ownership. If you are just staff in a shop part of your work remit will still be to insure that you ensure the customers legal protections. If the shop gets fined for something that happens on your watch you could face disciplinary action.

As for high horses. We'd all have been saved a lot of bother if you had stayed off yours yesterday.

Dudess wrote: »

I think it's just a different way of saying you're looking down on someone. Like you would if you were on a tall horse.
    Ah right, so it pretty much means "You're disagreeing with me and better at debating than me - and I don't like it, waaaah!" :)

haminka wrote: »
    you don't even need special clothes, a loose top is grand to cover everything and for added discretion you can add a muselin cloth.

While I am quite ample on the top side, I would only have very limited experience from my wife having the babies.

I started the thread to get a discussion going and to hear others opinions...

You are hearing other people's opinions. You just don't like the fact that most of those opinions are disgusted by yours.

• Advertisement

I started the thread to get a discussion going and to hear others opinions... Not to start a war :O
    You did get discussion and opinions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement