Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

lorc43 wrote: »
    the reading room in the arts building, is it open for leaving cert students?

Technically not but if you wanted somewhere quite to study, nobody would notice who you are as long as you didn't have a school uniform and stayed quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

thelad95 wrote: »
    Technically not but if you wanted somewhere quite to study, nobody would notice who you are as long as you didn't have a school uniform and stayed quite.

Quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Quiet

Quite
    quite.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

lorc43 wrote: »
    the reading room in the arts building, is it open for leaving cert students?

Yes. Make sure all your friends know!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Jumped on the bandwagon and stayed up to watch the SuperBowl last night and had a few drinks with the lads. Missed my one and only lecture today. Great start to the semester... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least you aren't scrambling to find a work placement. :(

I think this is an issue that's been mentioned here before but I've had 5 of my 7 modules and all 5 are non-native English speakers. Now I'm not racist or anything but the standard of their English is not great and they are hard to understand. It's pretty frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

^ I noticed that too today. Is there some reason why there are so many foreign lecturers in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Might have something to do with universities getting continually pushed by governments and funding bodies to employ international scholars. Raise the international reputation of the place, or something. I suppose there's department heads getting told to hire internationally or see their funding cut.

Well just because they're international doesn't make them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

I think this is an issue that's been mentioned here before but I've had 5 of my 7 modules and all 5 are non-native English speakers. Now I'm not racist or anything but the standard of their English is not great and they are hard to understand. It's pretty frustrating.

They seem to be on the increase this year too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just a warning that I don't want any personal attacks on lecturers. General discussion is fine but if this gets too bitchy I will be shutting it down.

XxMCRxBabyxX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

More international lecturers may encourage more international students to come to the place. This is a nice money spinner for the college, particularly if the students are Asian or from outside the EU. Dem fees.

I think the number of foreign lecturers also affects the university's world ranking, in some of the ranking systems anyway.

Is Callan Hall as bad as people say? Have a double lecture there tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Two hours on those wooden chairs? Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I was there for 2 hours today.

Dear god bring a cushion, it'll help your ass some little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

hahaha, good luck, god I don't miss that place!

edit: bring a jacket or something nice to sit on or the rear end may be numb by the time you get out!

I need journal access. Is the library site down for everyone else too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MFPM

mickstupp wrote: »
    I need journal access. Is the library site down for everyone else too?

It's not just me then! I've been trying to access the site since 9pm last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Anyone know when the provisional results are up, in particular for final year computer science.. Seems some of the other departments already have theirs and I'm anxious to know how many I failed already!
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Why is JH1 so cold? :(

Why is JH1 so cold? :(

3tppcq.jpg

Dementors..

I saw a feckin huge wasp today on the bus! I tried to kill it to death but missed. I'm afraid to put my hands in my coat pockets or bag now just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Games Soc is finally having a meet-up for commuting students...

...but I'm stuck home with a broken metatarsal.

Got an offer for Rye Bunk today. €60 a week. Should I take it or run a mile?

If you're open to the idea of sharing a room with someone you don't know, I wouldn't see why not. You've a shared desk, wardrobe etc. but outside of that they don't seem too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Take it so you can be closer to me xoxoxoxox

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Take it so you can be closer to me xoxoxoxox

Hmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I was walking by the field beside the church yesterday and was absolutely disgusted to notice all the glass bottles that were thrown in there. There are animals in there for crying out loud! What is wrong with people? There's a bin the far side of the church for fcek sake!

Eugh, just needed to vent! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Are results out today?

Advertisement