Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amazing Spider-Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Symbiote Spidey is in as an alternate costume. Iron Spidey and Ben Reilly would really complete the set!

tumblr_m5xntdjjC91rz8bnjo1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Im somewhat disappointed with the symbiote....they could've done so much more with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Since Beenox did the last two games, hopefully some of those alternate costumes will become available too.

Stealth & Combat vid. First thing I thought when he starts walking is...Batman Arkham. And then Spidey goes all stealth. Don't get me wrong, it looks class but they completely robbed rocksteady's predator mode from the batman games haha

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Theyve certainly ripped off the Arkham games here, but it's Spidey enough for me. I can't wait to get my hands on this!

• Advertisement

tumblr_m5xqkshTFV1rz8bnjo1_500.png

WE HAVE KAINE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Will the suits have different abilities, or will they just be sprite changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Considering most of the alternative suits were worn by clones of Spider-Man and shared the same powers as him or else by Peter himself, I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

This is quite a disappointment so far

Ropey as hell

Ah balls Helix! You doing a review for Click?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Helix wrote: »
    This is quite a disappointment so far

Ropey as hell

vader.jpg

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah balls Helix! You doing a review for Click?

yup

just took it for a brief spin yesterday evening, about to jump back into it. blighted by iffy camera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

jpcarlow wrote: »
    WE HAVE KAINE

Aaand...sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

yup

just took it for a brief spin yesterday evening, about to jump back into it. blighted by iffy camera

I was Going to say that in that stealth and combat vid the camera view seems brutal at times. Pretty unforgivable I'd say. I'm willing to forgive it if the game is good otherwise and its not a complete botch!

Black Future Foundation suit

tumblr_m5xqkdma7M1rz8bnjo1_500.png

^^ i would've preferred if it wasnt inverted tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I just hope they include this version of the symbiote suit....

Backinblack.jpg

Speaking of symbiote costumes, i would love the flash thompson venom costume

1669175-tasm_654039_copy_super.jpg

tumblr_ltmtargOES1qhpx4lo1_500.jpg

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

Venom_II_(Flash_Thompson).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

yup

It still astounds me as to how devs still cant get cameras right. I think its something we've all just learned to accept as the mark of a poor dev. Is it game breaking bad or a just a nuisance?

hightower1 wrote: »
    It still astounds me as to how devs still cant get cameras right. I think its something we've all just learned to accept as the mark of a poor dev. Is it game breaking bad or a just a nuisance?

im still undecided on that

which probably isn't a good sign

it's not a great game either way

• Advertisement

Yeah, this isn't getting the best reviews from players on gamefaqs, lot of complaints about the camera.

Saw this interesting (but not confirmed if true) bit of info
    The alternate costumes are the online feature of this game. Starting the week after launch they will add hidden spider emblems each week that when you find it unlocks and alternate. The first week is Scarlet Spiderman. This info comes from the official strategy guide,

The Black Spidey suit though is for completing the game to 100%

Big Time Spidey

tumblr_m5xqk10ci31rz8bnjo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hurt my brain reading that, had to stop
    This time the story is not the particular person, but on the strength of organization is trying to destroy the city, which made monsters and destructive mechanisms on the Spider-Man stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hurt my brain reading that, had to stop

Yeah but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

mystic86 wrote: »

That review actually makes me want to try it at least. Sounds quite fun. The story was never going to be major factor for me just more how it plays. He says it quite like Spiderman 2 in a lot respects so that can only be a good thing.

Yeah, this isn't getting the best reviews from players on gamefaqs, lot of complaints about the camera.

Saw this interesting (but not confirmed if true) bit of info
    i'm pretty sure that's false...as i'm pretty certain that Metamorphosis suit is the game completion suit...i'm open to being corrected though

Good to see Big Time included

Official Game Launch Trailer....ITS BITCHIN'

finished my review for print, it's not live on our site though because of embargo but it'll be up later today (with more detail due to less word count restriction) and it's not proofed so excuse silly typos, but i can stick it here in spoiler tags anyway i suppose. more detailed version will be up later today

Despite the fact that he’s the ideal focus for a video game, Spider-Man has yet to receive a title to genuinely catapult him into the gaming stratosphere. Shattered Dimensions (2010) and Edge of Time (2011) were most definitely steps in the right direction, but they were based on the comic book universe created around the character, as opposed to Mark Webb’s brand new big-screen universe, created for stars Andrew Garfield, Rhys Ifans and Emma Stone. Unfortunately, the big-name character likenesses don’t make an appearance here for some reason (most likely a licensing issue), but Activision has been able to call upon many of the plot elements of the movie.

Those of you worried that the game will spoil the movie may be interested to know that it’s not actually a direct adaptation; instead it takes place after the film’s events. However that in itself brings with it some potential spoilers, so if you’re determined not to have your viewing pleasure tainted, we would suggest you hold off on getting your digital web-slinging kicks until The Amazing Spider-Man hits cinemas. If you don’t think you can wait that long, then you won’t have too much spoiled, just a few things here and there given the game’s timeline. But before you run out and give Activision your hard earned money, perhaps you might want to hear what we thought of the game first?

With Batman’s Arkham series proving to be a smash hit, it was always going to be likely that another developer would try its hand at the third person semi-sandbox style arrangement for a character like Spider-Man, and given Spidey’s considerable talents, it’s definitely a fine fit on paper. With players able to swing their way through the city with the touch of a button, you’d have thought that things would work quite well here, unfortunately that’s not quite the case. Before we look at the areas in which The Amazing Spider-Man falls down, we would like to point out that it’s not a bad game, and we’ll take a look at why shortly, it’s just that there are some pretty serious issues here that need to be addressed off the bat.

The biggest issue, and potentially the most unforgivable for some people, is the incredibly inconsistent camera work. While we certainly appreciate that it’s got to be tough nailing down a solid camera angle for a game where the protagonist can swing through the cityscape, walk on walls and dash to far corners at the touch of a button, when things get up front and personal with your enemies it really proves to be a pain in the backside. Even aiming your attacks can be a real chore should you decide to attack from above, so be warned; it’s going to take a very forgiving soul to look past this!

Other problems include the lack of focus when it comes to the game’s open world structure. This certainly isn’t anything new with the genre, as ably demonstrated by the ADD afflicted GTA series, but here it’s as bad as we’ve ever seen it. Some may enjoy the ability to completely forget what they were doing many times over in order to chase side missions or search for comic book pages, but we found the way these missions are implemented a little unimpressive. After attaching devices to police radio towers, Spidey can tune in to all the latest news from the boys in blue, opening up a number of additional quests, but none of them really fit with the action, and they feel exceptionally tagged on, adding little to progress the story.

It’s a real shame, because the main narrative here is quite engaging. Spider-Man fans will love the way the story snakes around the character’s universe, featuring both old and new characters into the bargain, and the missions are enjoyable when they don’t fall into the “go here, do this, go back” trap that seems endemic in sandbox titles. The combat is solid although far from spectacular thanks to occasionally unresponsive controls and that damn camera angle, even if racking up huge combos can feel mightily satisfying if executed with style.

At its core, The Amazing Spider-Man is a decent game. The web-slinging mechanics work as well as we’ve ever seen in a Spider-Man title, and there’s enough variety to the enemies to keep things feeling fresh, however the storyline does flag somewhat in places and the game’s technical issues are often too big to look past. If you’ve been crying out for an above-average Spidey title than this is certainly going to interest you, but if you’re hoping for something that can go toe to toe with Arkham City then you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

Score: 3/5

Looks like all the preorder can be bought on day one for 2.99 euro each (doubt it's 2.99 for all of them). From the PSN Blog:

The Amazing Spider-Man
    • Oscorp Search and Destroy Pack
    • Play As Stan Lee DLC Pack
    • Rhino Challenge
    • Vigilante Suit
    Prices: £2.39,€2.99,AU$4.95

• Advertisement

PC FANS, the game will be hitting steam in august

Advertisement