Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Carded for Trolling in AH

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

I have received a Red Card for "Trolling" the AH RIP thread on Peaches Geldoff

Yesterday I posted a comment (it would have been around page 18/19 of the thread) which was deleted within a few minutes without explanation.
    This post which I no longer have access to (perhaps the mods concerned do?) read something along the lines of.

"Why do we have these threads in AH since there is a limited amount of things its acceptable to say apart from this is a tragic death of a young mother, which this event clearly is"

This post was removed (as I found out later after being Red Carded for my second post for being off-topic). The disappearance of my post without explanation annoyed me particularly as there seemed to a whole raft of irrelevant/off-topic posting remaining on thread which had not been actioned by the mods, directly before and after where my post had been if I took a wider look in thread there would be a whole sea off-topic posting remaining. See examples given below (these are from directly around my post).
    I am literally so jealous of all these edgy cool guys who are going to great lengths to point out how little they care about a girl they didn't know :rolleyes:
    wprathead wrote: »
    Hipster mourners.. my gawd...
    Uriel. wrote: »
    Hi. I came into this thread to tell you how little I care about the fact that this so called "celebrity" died. It's my civic duty to let you all know this. Before you ask, I'll answer the two questions you have:

1. No I couldn't have just ignored the thread, as pointed out above I had to tell you how little I cared. Failure to engage would not have portrayed this enough.

2. No I won't start a thread about all of the other women who died today or the motherless children. If you start a thread about this, I'll happily comment to tell you how lite I care. But I care so little that I couldnt force myself to start a thread on it.

I might pop back later with a witty joke and to reinforce how little I care, just in case you didn't get it
    Great post, you really showed them.
    Not sure who's more annoying: the "devastated"/sanctimonious crowd, the crowd posting callous comments (plenty of them are NOT in good nature) and repeatedly saying they don't care, or the crowd going on about people around the world dying every day.

The first crowd seem to be the least prevalent on this particular thread tbh. Most people are just remarking that it's a tragedy and no more - being normal in other words.
    If I went back and found a few RIP threads from when Hitchens died, by chance would I find any of these kinds of posts in them from you?

I think not.

Each of these posts was at least as off-topic as my one and many of them more likely to cause flaming. However my post was then one that vanished even though it was polite and reasonable and I presume can be considered relevant and a valid point by the actual posters of this site since it got around 6 thanks in the ten minutes it existed before disappearing.

Seeing my posts disappearance I posted this post for which I received a Red Card for Trolling.
    Well my completely polite and inoffensive post is gone :-\ Can i have the thanks it got please back though and be redirected to one of the many feedback threads these RIP threads have generated

In hindsight this is an off-topic post however at the time I was mystified and annoyed at how my post could have been removed whereas the posts above were deemed relevant and acceptable to the thread.

Note I am being sanctioned for Trolling the actual boards.ie definition of Trolling is given here in the Boards.ie FAQ
    What is trolling?
    An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. A Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war. Trolling is the act of posting these sorts of messages which are deliberately designed to annoy other users of the site.

I am at a loss at how the comment I was sanctioned for can be considered the above, my second post though off-topic to the thread content can not be considered the above by any means.

Though I understand that what other posters have posted is possibly not of direct bearing to a Dispute Resolution (though I am not sure if this is an actual Rule or not having taken a quick browse through the forum), it does provide a context to my genuine bemusement and my posting of the comment I got carded for.

PS have PM'd the relevant mod before open this thread and received this reply which I would hazard is rather generic.

What other people posted is irrelevant. You were trolling and got infracted for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi RDM_83 again,

The mod posted a warning on-thread:
    Stop with the jokes and the bitching about other poster/posts

You then argued with this post on the thread. The mod could have given you a warning or infraction for that (as discussing mod decisions on-thread is against the rules), but he instead just deleted your post.

You then posted:
    Well my completely polite and inoffensive post is gone :-\ Can i have the thanks it got please back though and be redirected to one of the many feedback threads these RIP threads have generated.

That is again arguing with a mod decision on-thread (in this case, the decision to delete your post), and "Can i have the thanks it got please back though" is not "off-topic", it's trolling. As per the guidelines you quoted:
    Trolling is the act of posting these sorts of messages which are deliberately designed to annoy other users of the site.

You posted that nonsensical response to elicit a reaction rather than adding to the discussion.

As for the other posts you quoted from other users, they are irrelevant to this discussion. This discussion is about your posts only.

Infraction upheld. You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.

Advertisement