Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse Chocolate truffle stout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'd say they use chocolate extract/essence. Having used it before in a stout, it's pretty distinctive. Gives it that milk chocolate mousse like aroma.
    Looking forward to trying it this year, last year's from what I remember was slightly less chocolately than some previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just to be sure, how long will the stout be on tap? Website says April 18th-28th but its on offer now so take it nearly all of April it will be there? http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/#

Don't wanna turn up on a random day and it ain't there :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gurramok wrote: »
    Just to be sure, how long will the stout be on tap?
    Until it's all gone. There's no being sure. Don't turn up on a random day, turn up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Where is this on sale in Cork? Franciscan Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm heading into Covent Garden a bit later, this thread is steering me towards a quick visit to the porterhouse. am I being overly optimistic in thinking that they will have this in stock over here?

• Advertisement

Where is this on sale in Cork? Franciscan Well?
    I'd say the Cork branch of The Porterhouse in the Mardyke will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Had three pints of this last night. Went down much easier than I expected and is very chocolately. Is a lovely pint.

Porterhouse Cork did indeed have it, though it was pouring from the Vienna tap as they didn't have a badge for it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

had my first one there last night too and it was excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd say the Cork branch of The Porterhouse in the Mardyke will have it.

I had it over the weekend, a lovely pint. Even a non-stout drinker friend of mine had it and she loved it. So did her regular stout drinker boyfriend. And he too loved it.

I have to say, the Porterhouse make some fantastic stouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Have to get in to the Porterhouse Cork soon then. Or just wait til I'm in Dublin on Wednesday. Here's a slightly related question: are prices in the Cork and Dublin Porterhouse branches different? It seems like they should be the same, being a chain and all, but then it is Temple Bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had my first try of this over the weekend in the Poterhouse Cork and thought it was a very strange brew indeed. There's the usual initial stout bitterness to it but then there is a very strong chocolate sensation running behind the this bitterness, which all ties itself together through the chocolatey malt finish. Really was not expecting there to be such a milk chocolate flavour from it Really must have another pint of this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Have to get in to the Porterhouse Cork soon then. Or just wait til I'm in Dublin on Wednesday. Here's a slightly related question: are prices in the Cork and Dublin Porterhouse branches different? It seems like they should be the same, being a chain and all, but then it is Temple Bar...

Most Porterhouse beers are €4.60 in Cork. The Chocolate Stout is €5. There's a daily deal where one is reduced to €4. So on Sunday's I think the Oyster stout is €4. It's printed in the menus which is discounted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Most Porterhouse beers are €4.60 in Cork. The Chocolate Stout is €5. There's a daily deal where one is reduced to €4. So on Sunday's I think the Oyster stout is €4. It's printed in the menus which is discounted.

Mine was about €4.20 in PH North last week. I can´t remember exactly how the price broke down but I got a pint and a glass for my OH for €6.50 so it was in and around the €4 mark.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Good stuff. Those are totally acceptable prices, especially with those daily deals. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

€4.60 for the chocolate stout in PH Temple bar. Very reasonable.

I usually stick to half pints of beers I'm just trying anyway, unless the prices are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They don't have it in PH Covent Garden. I was told they won't be getting in at all this year. It made me a little sad :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

irish_goat wrote: »
    €4.60 for the chocolate stout in PH Temple bar. Very reasonable.

it's €4.70, had one there last night and got €5.30 change from a tenner :P

It's rather nice.

A lot more sessionable than last years version. Every bit as chocolatey (especially on the nose) but a lot less sweet and a good blast of hops at the front and roasted malt bitterness to cut through the sweetness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Seaneh wrote: »
    it's €4.70, had one there last night and got €5.30 change from a tenner :P

I was charged 4.60 there yesterday...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I shall write a letter of complaint addressed to the tall male in his mid 20's who served me my beer at about 10.05pm so, the utter bastard over charging me €0.10!!!

Probably an honest mistake in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

To add more confusion I was charged 4.70 on Nassau st. A minute later my friend was charged 4.50! AH here now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was in PorterHouse, Cork last night.
    They had the chocolate stout but it was like it was a secret! No tap badge, no posters and nothing on the blackboards.

I thought the 1/3 pint taster glass was about as much of it as I could drink - just not my thing, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a couple of pints of this in Porterhouse Templebar tonight.
    Cracking stuff in my opinion. As chocolatey as ever.

What I love about it is that its big on the chocolate without being sickly sweet like some other chocolate stouts I've had, in fact its quite light on the body. Its a lovely dark ruby colour in the light and actually a dry Irish stout really underneath all the chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Had ahem probably 7 pints(:eek) of this stuff throughout the day, its the exact same choccy stout I had consumed a few yrs ago when I had tasted it last . Yum yum :)

Oh it was 4.50 a pint at Porterhouse North(my fav porterhouse)

A bump for 2014. Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout returns on 10th April as part of their Irish beer and spirits festival.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    A bump for 2014. Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout returns on 10th April as part of their Irish beer and spirits festival.

aww-yeah.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

But i want it now! Went in on the weekend and was dissapointed it wasnt there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What exactly does this 'festival' entail?

A good beer anyway, albeit in small doses.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What exactly does this 'festival' entail?
    They do it every year: bring in lots of guest beers from other Irish breweries. They say there'll be tastings as well in the different pubs at different times.

Advertisement