Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Was very happy on Sunday night and glad I stayed up to watch the game. Great effort from the Offense. The Running Game still needs improvement but the receiving corps really stepped up. Even fringe players like Holmes and Roberts made good contributions. Defence needs to be looked at. The complete lack of a pass rush is very disconcerting. Flacco had all day to throw, and wasnt sacked. Whatever about him, giving Manning or Rivers that amount of time will be disastrous. The secondary held up better than expected although I cant imagine that will be consistent. Cleveland next week is a good team for us to face. Inexperienced QB, mediocre WR corps, we have a chance to be competitive but the Defense needs to turn up next week.

That sums it up nicely, but without Suggs the Ravens pass rush was less fierce which helped Carr, even though he took a few solid hits.
    Yup, hard to know why our front 7 is doing so poorly, I expected far more from them, they need to get some sort of pass rush working or our weak secondary will get picked apart as you say

So true, you can't give up 34pts in a game and expect to win too many.

Maybe they will consider moving Mack back to linebacker and moving him around like they did last year, and playing Mario Edwards Jr at DE instead. Edwards is strong against the run and setting Mack free might give him more opportunities to make plays.

The team are obviously looking around for answers, they waived safety Tevin McDonald today and claimed cb David Amerson via waivers from Washington. Amerson was a second round pick in the 2013 draft, but never developed as they had hoped at the Redskins, though hopefully with a change of scenery, a different scheme and new coaches to work with, he will add something to the defensive secondary, apart that is, from being yet another young cornerback. It is unusual to see a team cut a second round pick after just two years though, but he must have talent or he wouldn't have been taken in the second round in the first place. Its a pretty low risk move in any case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

What's this? Raiders win AGAIN? Next up is a Bears team struggling on offense, real possibility of going 1-3. Dreamland!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well lets not count our chickens......back to back road wins....... we'll see! I did enjoy the game, great to see a consistent offense take the field. The receiving corps is growing in confidence and Amari Cooper is looking more and more like the second coming of Tim Brown. He is still capable of glaring errors (Punt return?? really??) but his route running is superb and he is starting to get a good understanding with Derek Carr. Being a Raiders fan you are always looking for the errors to highlight and whilst the two wins have been great, we are doing it without a decent secondary and the other AFC west teams will exploit that to the max. Woodson is playing with essentially one good shoulder. Thats not a good sign. But the front seven really are starting to click. That Cleveland offensive line has two pro bowlers on it and we gave them a torrid time (I know, I know, we havent won the Superbowl but allow me a moment of boastfulness, its been pretty thin since 2002!). What I'm liking is that there seems to be a confidence building within the squad that they can at least compete. Considering the awful teams of the past 10 years we hqave fielded, it was really nice to watch your team and know that coming into the 4th quarter, they were in the game. We are going to lose games this season and some of the performances wont be pretty, but we are definitely a better team than last year and maybe, just maybe, we can actually begin to believe that we are starting to find a way back to being competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

What's this? Raiders win AGAIN? Next up is a Bears team struggling on offense, real possibility of going 1-3. Dreamland!

I think you meant 3-1, but I completely understand how you got confused there, I'm normally over the moon with a 1-3 start :)

Interesting times at last, very impressed with Carr the last two weeks, Cooper looks as good as everyone says he is, and Murray played very well last night too.

Looking at our schedule, we need to win against the Bears and then start to get some wins against better teams, I think if we're 4-4 after 8 games, that's best case scenario. If Roethlisberger is out for our game, then maybe 5-3.

I don't like the look of the last 5 games we have this season, I expect we'll beat the Chargers in Oakland, but the other 4?

Of course, I meant 3-1. Giddy with excitement! Denver at home will be a huge test, don't expect to win that one, but this looks like a team that is starting to believe in itself, New head coach and young, talented players.

AFC West is tough, but confidence can go a long way, and it's something the Raiders haven't had in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think the addition of Copper has opened up our offence. Its freed up Crabtree to receive and he won't drop, and Murray has better chance to rush with defensive secondary systems set up to combat the new threat. Carr is growing on me too.

Great to see Charlie come up with the game winning play too at the end, the defence gets in the neck too often whereas I saw all our problems last year being on offence.

As an aside I see the Tuck rule official was at it again last night in New England, comms mentioned he hasn't officiated an Oakland match since that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

I think you meant 3-1, but I completely understand how you got confused there, I'm normally over the moon with a 1-3 start :)

Interesting times at last, very impressed with Carr the last two weeks, Cooper looks as good as everyone says he is, and Murray played very well last night too.

Looking at our schedule, we need to win against the Bears and then start to get some wins against better teams, I think if we're 4-4 after 8 games, that's best case scenario. If Roethlisberger is out for our game, then maybe 5-3.

I don't like the look of the last 5 games we have this season, I expect we'll beat the Chargers in Oakland, but the other 4?

From what I have seen it is expected that Roethlisberger will be missing that game so certainly helps the Raiders cause in that one. The big thing is to take advantage of the Bears struggles and get the win next week. The game is very winnable but lets face it its hard to put too much belief in the Raiders yet even in what looks like a very winnable game next week in Chicago.

eire4 wrote: »
    From what I have seen it is expected that Roethlisberger will be missing that game so certainly helps the Raiders cause in that one. The big thing is to take advantage of the Bears struggles and get the win next week. The game is very winnable but lets face it its hard to put too much belief in the Raiders yet even in what looks like a very winnable game next week in Chicago.
    I agree eire4, still very much early days yet. I've enjoyed the last two games but not expecting anything more than the ability to compete. EVen if we lose, once we are competitive, I'll take that.

I agree eire4, still very much early days yet. I've enjoyed the last two games but not expecting anything more than the ability to compete. EVen if we lose, once we are competitive, I'll take that.

Have to agree. An 8-8 type season would be a massive step forward for the Raiders. There has now been 2 good drafts in a row with quality players coming in there is cap room so if managed properly there is the possibility to build up a good Raiders team over the next couple of seasons. The keys are I think to continue on focusing on building with youth and from the draft and not get caught up with spending big money on big name veterans in free agency just because the Raiders have some cap space.

Week three showed a big improvement on week two, with the pass rush in particular, finally showing some teeth. I wish though, that having built up a big lead in the game, that they'd have killed the game off rather than allowing the Browns the chance to tie it up in the 4th quarter and will they ever sort out the issue with opposing tight ends running free downfield ?

Hopefully the injury to CJ Wilson isn't too serious as they could run into depth issues at DT next week if Wilson and Justin Ellis are both missing.

As a longtime fan, I'm finding it hard to get used to all the positive media coverage of the Raiders young stars. Last season James Jones compared Derek Carr with Aaron Rodgers and following last Sundays' game, Browns cb Tramon Williams also compared Carr to Rodgers saying "he kind of seems to have a skill set similar to Aaron, and that's saying something''. Then in the build up to last Sundays' game, Browns pro bowl LT Joe Thomas was comparing Khalil Mack to Laurence Taylor, while during last Sundays network coverage Chris Simms said that wr Amari Cooper had "Hall of Fame potential". :D:D:D:D:D:D

Going back to last Sunday, it was nice to see Roy Helu being featured in the offence, now I'm just waiting to see a few passes to Clive Walford.

• Advertisement

Walford!! Yes, werent they expecting big things from him??? Good call, heyjude, forgot about him. To be honest, I think squad depth could be an issue as the season goes on. Like you heyjude I'm a long time fan (1983) and the years following 2002 were really demoralising, to the point where I dont get hyped anymore by what the media write. Too many false dawns. But there is a confidence about the team at the moment that's a reminder of how we used to be, even if it is only for a few weeks!!!! ;)

Well, 2-2 is OK, will be interesting to see if we can compete with Denver this weekend.

Pity the team (Murray) made so many mistakes against the Bears, we really should have won that.

Happy birthday to Charles Woodson, who is 39 today.

Woodson's interception against Chicago last Sunday was the 62nd of his career taking him to 9th place on the all time list and he is first among active NFL players.

The top ten all time list is

+ Hall of Fame member

1. Paul Krause+ 81 1964-1979
    2. Emlen Tunnell+ 79 1948-1961
    3. Rod Woodson+ 71 1987-2003
    4. Night Train Lane+ 68 1952-1965
    5. Ken Riley 65 1969-1983
    6. Ed Reed 64 2002-2013
    7. Ronnie Lott+ 63 1981-1994
    Darren Sharper 63 1997-2010

9. Charles Woodson 62 1998-2015 2TM
    Dick LeBeau+ 62 1959-1972
    Dave Brown 62 1975-1989

So if Woodson can manage another 3 interceptions in the remaining 12 games, he would move up to a tie for fifth overall. An improvement in the pass rush would no doubt help achieve this.

3 of those 11 have worn the Silver and Black the 2 woodsons and Ronnie Lott ( I know, I know, most of their interceptions werent with the Raiders)

Well, 2-2 is OK, will be interesting to see if we can compete with Denver this weekend.

Pity the team (Murray) made so many mistakes against the Bears, we really should have won that.
    Yeah, I agree mate. It was annoying to see us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Having said that, isnt it great to still be in with a shout by the time the game reaches the 4th quarter??? :D This weekend will tell us how far off the pace we are, if at all.

On another note Mark Davis is reported to have said he would be willing to sell part of his stake in the Raiders if it would help facilitate the teams moving to LA.

3-3 and looking good, big test next week at home to the Jets, if we get a win in that game ........

3-3 and looking good, big test next week at home to the Jets, if we get a win in that game ........

Huge win yesterday. Final score doesn't really do what was most of the performance justice. Still a lot of problems defensively as the fourth quarter clearly showed.
    The next 3 games games home against the Jets and Vikings and away against the Steelers will show us where exactly the Raiders are at now. Clearly the team is vastly imporved and is at least a mid table team. But if there is to be a push for a wild card spot then 2 of the next 3 games must be won as those are exactly the type of teams that are wild card level right now.

Hayden was outstanding yesterday

The season has started really well as far as I'm concerned. Two of the games we lost, we were in contention right up to the end. I still dont think that we will be in the mix for a playoff spot but its great to see finally that the franchise is making progress. Del Rio has been a good appointment, imho.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote:
    Huge win yesterday. Final score doesn't really do what was most of the performance justice. Still a lot of problems defensively as the fourth quarter clearly showed. The next 3 games games home against the Jets and Vikings and away against the Steelers will show us where exactly the Raiders are at now. Clearly the team is vastly imporved and is at least a mid table team. But if there is to be a push for a wild card spot then 2 of the next 3 games must be won as those are exactly the type of teams that are wild card level right now.

I wouldn't read too much into the fourth quarter, the D was happy to give up yardage to prevent quick scores that might have caused problems. Holding on to a big lead in the fourth is not something they have much experience in :-)

Great performance 1st half, looked a real quality team both on offense and defense. Great to see the boys marching down the field for scores over and over, no "three and out". Carr and Cooper look a real pair.

I wouldn't read too much into the fourth quarter, the D was happy to give up yardage to prevent quick scores that might have caused problems. Holding on to a big lead in the fourth is not something they have much experience in :-)

Great performance 1st half, looked a real quality team both on offense and defense. Great to see the boys marching down the field for scores over and over, no "three and out". Carr and Cooper look a real pair.

Hahaha fair point yes the team doesn't really have any previous experience in seeing out a fourth quarter with a big lead.

Jets at Oakland live on sky Sunday, big game for both teams.

Jets at Oakland live on sky Sunday, big game for both teams.

Which means its blacked out on NFL Gamepass :mad:

I took out a Raiders NFL Gamepass sub and expected to see all 16 regular season games live, as with the Raiders not expected to contend, none of their games were expected to feature on Sky(so no blackouts). Paying for 16 live games and getting 15 or less stinks. The blacked out games aren't listed when you start your sub and with all Raider home games starting at the less busy later time slot due to their West Coast location, if they stay in contention, who knows 2-3 of their remaining games could be on Sky!, in which case you're paying for 16 live games and maybe getting 12-13 and the right to look at a re-run a day or two later(when you already know the final score :mad:)

I think the NFL should have to refund all UK and Ireland Gamepass subscribers for blacklisted games that the subscriber was not notified of in advance, when they commenced their subscription(and a blanket warning that an unspecified number of games might be blacklisted isn't enough). At the very least its misleading to boast that you can watch all sixteen of your teams' games live. If they want to cash in on showing a game on Sky, they shouldn't also be able to charge NFL Gamepass subscribers the full rate for the same game and then only allow them access 24 hours later. The charge for watching any sporting event 24 hours later, is always lower, except with NFL Gamepass.

I hope NFL Gamepass has an end of season questionaire for its subscribers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

heyjude wrote: »

I took out a Raiders NFL Gamepass sub and expected to see all 16 regular season games live, as with the Raiders not expected to contend, none of their games were expected to feature on Sky(so no blackouts). Paying for 16 live games and getting 15 or less stinks. The blacked out games aren't listed when you start your sub and with all Raider home games starting at the less busy later time slot due to their West Coast location, if they stay in contention, who knows 2-3 of their remaining games could be on Sky!, in which case you're paying for 16 live games and maybe getting 12-13 and the right to look at a re-run a day or two later(when you already know the final score :mad:)

I think the NFL should have to refund all UK and Ireland Gamepass subscribers for blacklisted games that the subscriber was not notified of in advance, when they commenced their subscription(and a blanket warning that an unspecified number of games might be blacklisted isn't enough). At the very least its misleading to boast that you can watch all sixteen of your teams' games live. If they want to cash in on showing a game on Sky, they shouldn't also be able to charge NFL Gamepass subscribers the full rate for the same game and then only allow them access 24 hours later. The charge for watching any sporting event 24 hours later, is always lower, except with NFL Gamepass.

They do, it's called a renewal. You should say no. It's a blatant rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

heyjude wrote: »

Use Google Chrome. Download the Hola plugin. Set your location to Portugal, Netherlands etc. and use Gamepass. You'll be able to watch the game no problem.

Wow that was a real statement performance there by the Raiders and by Derek Carr. The Jets have one of the best secondaries in the league and he just tore them up. We will see how things look after the next 2 games against Pittsburg away next week and then the Vikings at home but I said before the Jets game that these 3 games would tell the tale on where this Raiders revival is at and that is one very good perfromance to start these 3 games.

Really enjoyed that game yesterday. Fantastic win for us, its really weird seeing us actually being competitive this season. Its been so long, I'm almost waiting for the bottom to fall out of the season. A few thoughts following the game:

We are committing silly fouls on Special Teams. That area needs working on. And playing Carrie as a returner, he's needed on the Defense and god forbid that he gets injured, we seem to have no cover.

The last two games have seen us fly out of the blocks and then start to fade, particularly in the 4th quarter. The last offensive series was a joke and we only took a small number of seconds off the clock. We got a break, it happens. But we cant be complacent about it.

Next 2 weeks are winnable games, although I'm afraid to even make a call on them. but it will be interesting to see how our defense handles Big Ben. BTW, speaking of Defense, is it just me or is Mack having a quiet season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Congrats lads.. some good drafting at long last is starting to pay dividends for yee. Meanwhile the arse has fallen out of our franchise, praying for the owners to sell and the whole coaching staff to be fired. The Raiders are now the best team in CA how mad is that.

• Advertisement

Could be a big win in terms of play off spots at the end of the regular season. I think Denver have our division won already but it's looking like us, jets, Kansas and Pittsburgh fighting it out for the wild card spots.
    Did not think I'd be saying that after the Bengals match up in week one.

Advertisement