Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Community.......C.E.R.T.A.I.N. to be...........

RENEWED

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Community.......C.E.R.T.A.I.N. to be...........

RENEWED

:)

Is that your opinion or has it been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

If it does get renewed would you guys be all

tumblr_m6oad71lAk1qlsnnh.gif

or more like

tumblr_m9ect27sic1r76lino1_500.gif

I know I would think

tumblr_m2g19izB621rnus5h.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The last two episodes join the ranks of what I judge as a good community episode (I rewatch it within a week) so if its renewed I'd be somewhat hopeful that the showrunners will take away what they learnt from this season and also have a chance to start fresh from all the drama and problems left over from behind the scenes.

As for what next season holds I hope they dont do something to stop Jeff from graduating, but instead let him graduate and have him come back in a new role (as a teacher?) which might shake up the dynamic a small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Is that your opinion or has it been confirmed?

Richard has no opinion, he likes what the ratings tell him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I had a look at this Fridays episode too, on the back of the previous one being fairly decent & a bit more on form; much to my surprised I kinda enjoyed this one too.

If I have one criticism is that the faux-lessons are wayyyy too saccharine; no matter how meta the show purports to be, vomitous speeches are still just that, no matter how clever you think you're being. Old Community didn't seem to have such overt lectures.

Oh, and I paused when 'Pierce' had his mishap at the yoghurt machine - do we think that was Chase? It looked awfully like him, but given how the camera conspicuously avoided the audience getting a look at his face, I guess not.

Also: yeah, they're not even trying with the Dean anymore, are they?
    "hmmm, I hope this doesn't awake anything in me"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Really? I loved the Dean line granted it wasn't subtle but that's what made it funny

I don't think there's any subtly left :P

This whole season looks like way too much of a swansong already. If the show had been on longer it would have fitted, if the show is renewed then it doesn't work at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

EdK wrote: »
    Really? I loved the Dean line granted it wasn't subtle but that's what made it funny

Meh, admittedly it's just a general antipathy towards the Dean character rather than the line itself, who has just become something of a clichéd caricature. It wasn't enough to spoil the episode mind you ...

• Advertisement

EdK wrote: »

Whatever happened to his Dalmatian fetish?

Variety now saying its headed for the chop! http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/nbcs-bubble-shows-await-decisions-on-thursday-1200478075/

This might be a prime example of a streaming service [Netflix/Hulu/Amazon] saving a network tv show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It is being saved, it's being put down.

MOH wrote: »
    It is being saved, it's being put down.

:eek: [insert some stupid Community gif to highlight your disdain for this comment]

This is it...decision time, due in a few hours.....brace yerselves Community fans, i await your gifs :P

Considering each season has charted a year during the Study Group's 4-year courses, this season should be the end either way.

Dragging the cast back for some contrived, post-college years series 5 doesn't sound appealing & part of the shows charm was Greendale as a location and home for the cast. Equally, contriving a scenario where they have to stay at Greendale would be a bit lame. For once I'd like to see a US show end naturally, organically and not pull a Simpsons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

I wouldn't be too upset if it got cancelled at this point. The first 3 seasons were excellent and it doesn't deserve to descent into mediocrity.

^ LOL! @ the pre-emptive defeatist comments......!!

^ LOL! @ the pre-emptive defeatist comments......!!

If you bothered to watch the show instead of obsessing on the numbers & attempting to rile its fans here, you'd realize that 4-season makes narrative sense given it's about students studying a 4-year course. Endless renewals isn't the be all & end all.

But hey, it's Richard Dower in the Community thread, I'm kinda wasting my time on the tired predicability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We may be about to witness the biggest mental breakdown in the history of Boards if Community somehow survives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

While I wouldn't be against another season of 'Community', I'd be far more upset if ABC cancel (and they probably will) 'Happy Endings'.

Ah-maz-ing!

Basq wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be against another season of 'Community', I'd be far more upset if ABC cancel (and they probably will) 'Happy Endings'.

Ah-maz-ing!

I think that has gotten worse than community has, the first and most of the second season were great but they've ruined some of the characters this season, most notably is Dave.

As I said a few pages back, the only thing I'll be upset if they cancel is parks and recreation.

most notably is Dave.
    You serious? Dave has stolen the show this year..

"I didn't even know you could pronounce the name of your store. I thought it was a four letter Celtic symbol for failure."

Yeah.. but while 'Parks And Rec' has been stellar lately, the first few episodes of the season this year were AWFUL ropey!

Anyways, mod hat back on.. probably best get back to Community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

apart from the puppet episode, I'd agree with all the choices here.

I forgot how innovative this show was in it's prime..

Seems like its going to be a paintball episode tonight, lets hope they don't screw it up..
    Though Megan Ganz said that if she could re-write any episode this season it would be the finale so I'm not sure if thats good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

More paintball? :/

That horse has been well and truly flogged, the show has even made jokes about it being overdone!

phasers wrote: »
    More paintball? :/

That horse has been well and truly flogged, the show has even made jokes about it being overdone!

Maybe, but if its good I'm not going to compain.
    And I'm just guessing its a paintball episode because the facebook page posted this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/923082_10151578972478184_69586935_n.jpg

Seems to be inkling of various renewals / cancellations coming through by NBC now with no mention of Community.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And I'm just guessing its a paintball episode because the facebook page posted this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/923082_10151578972478184_69586935_n.jpg
    I wonder if they're going to pull a trick here and have Pearse turned up, ready for a paintball episode because that's how term always ends... only to find out nobody else is armed.

• Advertisement

Well I enjoyed it anyway, I thought it tied things up perfectly, but still left it open enough if they want to do Season 5.
    Just as I was sitting down to watch it I realised that it might be the last time I ever watch a new episode of Community, kinda sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I thought it was terrible. I didn't even smile, let alone laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Well I enjoyed it anyway, I thought it tied things up perfectly, but still left it open enough if they want to do Season 5.
    Just as I was sitting down to watch it I realised that it might be the last time I ever watch a new episode of Community, kinda sad.

It had its moments but I didn't enjoy it; evil Abed was the only part I laughed at.

Still I will miss Community when its gone.

It really was a reference finale.

Of them yes the cape got the biggest laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Community was never an amazing show.
    It had some excellent episodes sometimes.
    These excellent episodes were more frequent in the 2nd and 3 rd series
    We've had about 2 excellent episodes this season,
    These interesting ideas and plot points were few and far between and could never be relied on week in week out.
    It was the most original comedy out there but its well and truly done at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was a bit disappointed Duncan didn't make an appearance. Acceptable enough finish.

What Community did best was to pay homage to a lot of other stuff, or to have some pretty smart running gags - Beetlejuice being mentioned in three seasons, before popping up in the background, Abed delivering a baby in the background, and loads of other things. This season, however, it felt like it was just constantly referencing itself and saying, "hey, remember when we were funny?". The season finale seemed like it was trying to repeat the success of the paintball episodes from previous seasons, but ultimately failed miserably.

Not saying they were terrible- they're still much better than a lot of other "comedies" that are out there, but just weren't on par with Community at its best.

That was awful.
    Just let it die.

(Who was the girl sitting beside Leonard at the graduation ceremony - I recognised everyone else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

what was the thing with chang and him having another boss or something that kind of fizzled out? or am i missing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

allanb49 wrote: »
    what was the thing with chang and him having another boss or something that kind of fizzled out? or am i missing something

I'd say they had a plan for it, but it got cut by the episode order so they stuck in a tacked on ending last episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I liked it, you can see someof the plots from throughout the series going amiss but was bound to happen.
    I liked the series as a whole though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Definitely an Annie-centric episode... glad they fleshed out her character a bit more (hopefully) for Season 5.

community-joelmchale-alisonbriejpg-97547272a7a64aee.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I didn't find anything funny in this episode. I also found that this season they just had nothing for Britta to do. She had some great moments in previous seasons and I always had a soft spot for her, but this season she was just in the background. Evil Annie was the only good thing about this episode, mainly because she is a sexpot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Falthyron wrote: »
    Definitely an Annie-centric episode... glad they fleshed out her character a bit more (hopefully) for Season 5.

community-joelmchale-alisonbriejpg-97547272a7a64aee.jpg

32633992.jpg

I think the phrase worth using here is "self indulgent". A very disappointing end, especially as the previous few episodes showed the show was getting back on its legs again, or close to that anyway. The finale though was pretty unfunny if not plain awful at times, and contained way too much knowing fanservice - the "we finally found a way to make paintball cool again" line just underlined that point.

The paintball thing was funny at first because it was so unexpected and yet so deftly handled. It was - and still is - a great piece of television. But like all unexpected hits, there was a mistaken belief that 'gimmick' episodes such as that one were what made the show great, when it really wasn't. It certainly wasn't where the heart of Community lay.

It would be a shame if the series really was cancelled & that was how it left our screens; it definitely deserved better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Can anyone tell me the name of the song at the end please, Shazam is drawing a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

Can anyone tell me the name of the song at the end please, Shazam is drawing a blank.

Is this the one? Ludwig Göransson- Greendale Is Where I Belong

allanb49 wrote: »

Wasn't that the dean of City College?
    It pretty much "ended" last week with Chang ringing him and going "sod this, I'm out" of whatever dastardly non-existent plan had been hinted at all season.

MOH wrote: »
    (Who was the girl sitting beside Leonard at the graduation ceremony - I recognised everyone else).

It was Quendra with a Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

rossy1044 wrote: »
    Is this the one? Ludwig Göransson- Greendale Is Where I Belong

That's the one, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement