Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

...Anyone?

Not really a work around but most libraries have accessible wifi as does McDonalds. In fact if you walk down a major street in most towns you'll most likely find a usable wifi hotspot.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but it's the only way I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Picking up a 3GS this week on O2 PAYG with plans of unlocking it to Meteor. Have sourced a week 38 32GB in a local Carphone Warehouse, I presume that this is the most pain free way of unlocking one ? (Asides from buying a factory unlocked one)

If it's a week 38 build, does that mean if it dies, I won't have to worry about re-jailbreaking it and re-unlocking it again ?

Sweet, wasn't expecting to be able to update it, have a touch (which I'll probably sell now) which is jailbroken. Just wasn't sure about the whole bootrom thing-a-majic on the pre week 40's !

Thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

madine wrote: »
    i bought a 2nd hand iphone 3g 8gb. i want to unlock/jailbreak it.
    i read through the thread but dont know where to start.
    what should i do first? check the firmware? how do i do this
    should i get itunes then?
    anyhelp appreciated

yes you need to download itunes to sync your songs, apps, movies, etc. to check the fw: go to settings>general>about and look for firmware. then follow mixednuts steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

I have a iphone 2g which is unlock and jailbroken running software version 3.0. How can i upgrade to 3.1.2 without locking the phone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Just a quick question? I've read through the thread and I'm just wondering, with a post week 40 iPhone, can you just unlock it without tethering? Not jailbreak, mind, just unlock it to a different network.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm not the best at these things!

HQvhs wrote: »
    Just a quick question? I've read through the thread and I'm just wondering, with a post week 40 iPhone, can you just unlock it without tethering? Not jailbreak, mind, just unlock it to a different network.

Yup, just got a week 38 iPhone from Santa. Had it jailbroken, unlocked and working on a Meteor sim in minutes. Have turned it on and off and no problems !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

HQvhs wrote: »

To unlock you need to jb 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevodebevo

Hi ,
    When i go to access internet on my iPod touch it asks me for a password to join the network . Does anybody know how or where i can obtain this password ??
    Tks:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Hi ,
    When i go to access internet on my iPod touch it asks me for a password to join the network . Does anybody know how or where i can obtain this password ??
    Tks:confused::confused::confused:

Are you using the touch on a wifi network e.g at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thats the wifi password on your home network. Nobody can tell you that except whoever set it up for you.

you can get it by going to your router. if you have a wired connection, type the ip address of the router in firefox or internet explorer. click wireless and youre gonna see your wep key. put it in your itouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Havent really been reading about this since the 3.0 update but now i have a bit of spare time is it worth updating? I am running 3.0 on a jailbroken iphone 3G and its going grand. I need the unlock for it to work. Is there anything worth changing for on 3.1.2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hi chaps, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for jailbreaking my ipod touch. It's a 2g 32gb, model MB533BT...running OS 3.1.2.

Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Hi, I updated me iphone 2g to 3.1.2 with Blackrain/ bootneuter. Everything works fine except the youtube app, which says ,cannot connect to youtube.

I seached the web and installed a new package source - http://cydia.iphoneil.net. It says to search for a "push fix" app but it doesnt seem to be there anymore.

Was just wondering if anyone had this problem and managed to fix it, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 aoifed6

hi ,

could someone please give advice on the pushfix and youtube app from cydia,

i cant seem to find it in cydia, is there problems with this or does anyone have an alternative

i have a new iphone 3gs and cant get youtube working the rest is unlocked and mms working fine
    thanks
    aoife

aoifed6 wrote: »
    hi ,

could someone please give advice on the pushfix and youtube app from cydia,

i cant seem to find it in cydia, is there problems with this or does anyone have an alternative

i have a new iphone 3gs and cant get youtube working the rest is unlocked and mms working fine
    thanks
    aoife

try to add apt.iphinemodding.com in sources. that should do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I don't understand unlocking the ipod touch...? You can't put a sim in it so what does unlocking it do? And does it void the warrenty? Can it potentially damage your ipod if done uncorrectly?

Thanks, an iPod n00b:o

Correct you don't need to unlock a iPod touch.
    I think whoever wrote meant to say jailbreak. .

Unlock= to unlock the sim restrictions and use any carriers sim.

Jailbreak= to "jailbreak" the iPhones O.S to use 3rd party software etc.

(to unlock you need to jailbreak 1st)

Hope this helps.
    M

mixednuts wrote: »
    Correct you don't need to unlock a iPod touch.
    I think whoever wrote meant to say jailbreak. .

Unlock= to unlock the sim restrictions and use any carriers sim.

Jailbreak= to "jailbreak" the iPhones O.S to use 3rd party software etc.

(to unlock you need to jailbreak 1st)

Hope this helps.
    M
    OK, cool. Does it void the warrenty or anything? Can it damage the iPod? Will it be unjailbroken everytime you connect to itunes? And where can you get 3rd party apps? What are they used for?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    OK, cool. Does it void the warrenty or anything? Can it damage the iPod? Will it be unjailbroken everytime you connect to itunes? And where can you get 3rd party apps? What are they used for?

Yes Jailbreaking will void your warrenty, but a quick restore before sending the device back for repair will remove the jb.( that's if you can )

Reconnecting to iTunes won't remove the jailbreak , updating the software if Apple release a new one most definitly will.
    Jailbreaks are usually firmware specific , new firmware new waiting game for new jailbreak ( that's if it ever comes)
    If your iPod is newly made , more than likely you will need to hook it up to your computer to rejailbreak if it ever looses power .
    This is called a tethered jailbreak , it's the only available jb available for the most recent Apple firmware , it's call blackra1n , and found here blackra1n.com

Jailbreaking opens up a whole new platform on your device with hundreds if not thousands of things you can do and add to your device , some of which cannot be discussed on this forum.
    Google is your friend ... See what is says on jailbreaking .

M

Yes Jailbreaking will void your warrenty, but a quick restore before sending the device back for repair will remove the jb.( that's if you can )

Reconnecting to iTunes won't remove the jailbreak , updating the software if Apple release a new one most definitly will.
    Jailbreaks are usually firmware specific , new firmware new waiting game for new jailbreak ( that's if it ever comes)
    If your iPod is newly made , more than likely you will need to hook it up to your computer to rejailbreak if it ever looses power .
    This is called a tethered jailbreak , it's the only available jb available for the most recent Apple firmware , it's call blackra1n , and found here blackra1n.com

Jailbreaking opens up a whole new platform on your device with hundreds if not thousands of things you can do and add to your device , some of which cannot be discussed on this forum.
    Google is your friend ... See what is says on jailbreaking .

M
    is it easy to "restore" if I have to send it away for repairs? I'm buying a 64gb and for that price I don't want to lose it because I jailbroke it...

Jackobyte wrote: »
    is it easy to "restore" if I have to send it away for repairs? I'm buying a 64gb and for that price I don't want to lose it because I jailbroke it...

The restore part is simple, just hook it up to your iTunes and hit restore.
    Only problem is if you have a device that just dies and won't do anything, you won't get anything from iTunes ( won't show up as been connected) to be able to restore and remove the jb prior to return.

The warrenty is 12 months , would it fail before then ?

The restore part is simple, just hook it up to your iTunes and hit restore.
    Only problem is if you have a device that just dies and won't do anything, you won't get anything from iTunes ( won't show up as been connected) to be able to restore and remove the jb prior to return.

The warrenty is 12 months , would it fail before then ?
    Not worrying about it failing. Its just that last time I went messing with firmware, it had bad results. I was updating a usb broadband dongle's firmware and halfway through the installation my computer became unresponsive, leaving the dongle f**ked and unable to be fixed. It was not even detectable by the computer any more... Not even as removable device. Zilch.

The modern Apple devices are pretty much impossible to brick these days , so you will have no worries there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have a first generation iphone (i.e. before 3g). I updated it to 3.0 a few months ago i think and have it unlocked and jailbreaked (bought it on ebay from the US).

Anyways I want to use an app that requires a newer firmware than I have. What program will allow me to update to the latest firmware and let me unlock and jailbreak it?

cheers

do i just update it to 3.1.2 even though that will lock it, and then use blacksnow to jailbreak and unlock it?

I have a first generation iphone (i.e. before 3g). I updated it to 3.0 a few months ago i think and have it unlocked and jailbreaked (bought it on ebay from the US).

Anyways I want to use an app that requires a newer firmware than I have. What program will allow me to update to the latest firmware and let me unlock and jailbreak it?

cheers

do i just update it to 3.1.2 even though that will lock it, and then use blacksnow to jailbreak and unlock it?

if you read a few pages back, yes it will jailbreak and unlock the iphone when you update the firmware. fyi, blackra1n: jailbreak, blacksnow:unlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

iKeith wrote: »
    try to add apt.iphinemodding.com in sources. that should do it
    Keith is that the right address? its coming up cannot find repository any help there lads this youtube not working is doing my head in:confused:

fox007 wrote: »
    Keith is that the right address? its coming up cannot find repository any help there lads this youtube not working is doing my head in:confused:

its ok the address is apt.iphone.modding.com. but after I ran it still youtube will not connect do I have to reboot? and will i loose my jailbreak on 3.1.2 baseband 5.11.07?

its ok the address is apt.iphone.modding.com. but after I ran it still youtube will not connect do I have to reboot? and will i loose my jailbreak on 3.1.2 baseband 5.11.07?

sorry that was a typo. was actually apt.iphonemodding.com. after installing the repo, search pushfix and install it.

• Advertisement

sorry that was a typo. was actually apt.iphonemodding.com. after installing the repo, search pushfix and install it.

Anyone help me out please installed pushfix ran it still cannot connect to YouTube

pm sent

pm sent
    Thanks keith!! After the info on that forum,for anyone else getting the "cannot connect to youtube" message install push fix rebooth iphone try youtube, if you get the message again go to cydia manage.packages.pushfix.modify,reinstall,rebooth system,I had to do this 3 times.Now youtube workes great on jailbroke iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware 5.11.07 .Hope that helps someone else out thanks again keith:D

Thanks keith!! After the info on that forum,for anyone else getting the "cannot connect to youtube" message install push fix rebooth iphone try youtube, if you get the message again go to cydia manage.packages.pushfix.modify,reinstall,rebooth system,I had to do this 3 times.Now youtube workes great on jailbroke iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware 5.11.07 .Hope that helps someone else out thanks again keith:D
    good to hear that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Folks,

Just got a 2G (3.1.2), how do I go about unlocking it, I see a few conflicting step by step guides. :(

Currently I have it back to factory restore from Itunes. Its sitting at a screen that says (Insert a valid Sim with no PIN lock to activate iPhone)

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Folks,

Just got a 2G (3.1.2), how do I go about unlocking it, I see a few conflicting step by step guides. :(

Currently I have it back to factory restore from Itunes. Its sitting at a screen that says (Insert a valid Sim with no PIN lock to activate iPhone)

Download blackra1n I had the same problem. when ya have it downloaded to your pc SHUT DOWN ITUNEs and run blackra1n it will unlock jailbreak your iPhone In 30 seconds once ya do that find blackrain on the home menu run it click install cyida etc that's it enjoy any trouble just ask really is simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Another source for pusfix and youtube fix.

cydia.pushfix.info they have 3 youtube fixes, you are advised to try them one at a time. I ran this yesterday on a friends 3GS (3.1.2 new baseband). The youtube fix#1 was all that was required.

Might help someone.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 3GS 3.0, jailbroken and unlocked using ultrasn0w. I want to upgrade this to the latest firmware, but keep it unlocked.

Can I just use pwnage tool or blackra1n to upgrade straight to 3.1.2, or do I need to apply each patch in sequence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭savemejebus

afaik you can go straight to 3.1.2 and if you use pwnage tool you don't need to use blackra1n. You just create your custom firmware and restore from it.

Am on 3.0 myself and was looking into doing similar but there is nothing in the 3.1.2 upgrade to tempt me so i just left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Divynedevteam are said to be releasing a non-tethered jailbreak for the 3Gs very very soon. Time will tell if this is just more smoke and mirrors.

http://divyne.webs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

Just got a iPhone 3gs for my bday today. Am with meteor and would like to stay that way.

If I jailbreak and unlock the phone do I lose my warranty rights? If so should I use the 02 sim for a while in order to make sure the phone works properly.?I am totally new to the iPhone so I have alot of reading up to do in this thread!

Thanks

Hi All,

Just got a iPhone 3gs for my bday today. Am with meteor and would like to stay that way.

If I jailbreak and unlock the phone do I lose my warranty rights? If so should I use the 02 sim for a while in order to make sure the phone works properly.?I am totally new to the iPhone so I have alot of reading up to do in this thread!

Thanks

Things to note....
    1.If you need to return your phone to Apple and they see it's jailbroken they will send it back .. Warrenty void!
    Solution : restore your phone ( via iTunes) before sending it back , this will remove jb.( that's if you can e.g phone totally dead can't restore)

2.)If your phone is brand new then it's more than likely made after week 40 , the only jailbreak available will be blackra1n " tethered" jailbreak.

3.)A tethered jailbreak means that if your phone is swithced off or looses power or app crash ( requiring reboot) , then you will need to hook it back up to your p.c ( tether) and re-jailbreak .
    Sounds scary but takes 2secs , with no loss of previous settings or programs.

4.)blackra1n jailbreak is painless and takes about 1 minute to complete,Included in the blackra1n jailbreak is the optional unlock feature blacksn0w , this is the part that removes the sim restriction do you can use on metheor .... if you decide to use it let me know I will give you a step by step .

Welcome
    M.

Mixednuts your a king among men!
    Ye I have just activated it via itunes.

Should I register it (via itunes) and download apps before I try jailbreak and unlock? or can I do that after?

Also can I use itunes if I do have the phone jailbreak'ed and unlock or do I use something else (sorry I am a total novice re iphone)

I do want to use my meteor sim so I will need your step by step help please.

I did have point no.5 in the above post , but it never posted ? .

5.)Some people report problems with their wifi and you tube after jailbreaking with blackra1n .
    Goehot (the blackra1n developer) claims that the problem is Apple's (3.1.2 firmware) .
    Others have claimed this to be correct as non-jailbroken phones show the same symptoms .

Instructions to follow if you want to proceed , but tell me what firmware the phone is currently on ...settings/general/about/version..
    also phone serial number settings/general/about /serial number .

My reason for asking is I need to know were to start the Instructions .

Instructions to follow if you want to proceed , but tell me what firmware the phone is currently on ...settings/general/about/version..
    also phone serial number settings/general/about /serial number .

I just sent you a PM with the details mate

• Advertisement

Ok your firmware is fine (3.1.2) to proceed..

This is how you jailbreak

Go to HERE
    Select your operating system (Windows or Mac )
    Download to your desktop .
    Plug your phone into your P.C (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Double click on the "blackra1n.exe" on your desktop .
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jaibroken.

On your phone you will see a "blackra1n" App .
    Open it .
    You will also see "blacksn0w" run this , its the sim unlock feature
    Install Cydia (This is a jailbreak community portal ) .

YOUR DONE -jailbroken & unlocked .

optional : Go back HERE ..and i recommend you Donate !

end .

PM SENT ;)

Ok your firmware is fine (3.1.2) to proceed..

This is how you jailbreak

[/B]

Thank mate thats perfect really appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying an iPhone, as will be travelling a lot in February and would like to bring movies with me, etc etc....I don't know anything about iPhones though :D

I just read a couple of threads here and was thinking of buying the 3GS 32 GB , was checking the price on the O2 website and it is 609€ (want to do pay-as-you-go rather then monthly bill). http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/Speak+easy

Is there any way to buy it cheaper?

Also I am reading here that it is possible to unlock it and use it with Vodafone (I would prefer that as I am currently with Vodafone), however how much would the charges be? I can't find anything on the Vodafone website :( ....these are the O2 charges: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/Speak+easy

One last question, how does it work with Roaming? Can I connect to the internet from abroad (Europe at least) and pay the same rate?

Thank you for your help! ;)

If your doing alot of travelling then maybe a factory unlocked iPhone is your best bet.

Factory unlocked phones are sold in Belgium , Italy , Greece , Australia , New Zealand & others
    Basically the laws in these countries prohibit the carriers from locking phones to their network, so iPhones in these countries will take a sim from any carrier world wide .
    If your in a specific country then buy a pay as you go sim , slap it in , away you go .

You can get an Irish phone and jailbreak and unlock , the jailbreak will be a tethered jailbreak , if your phone needs to be rebooted (loss of power , crash etc) then you will need to be near a P.C and hook it up to get it working again .

Vodafone are doing the iPhone now (via a 3rd party :IOS) so thats an option also.

Hope This Helps .

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Hi Guys,

I was bought an iphone as present in the US for Christmas 08 by my mother. She got my the iphone but unaware that it wouldn't work in Ireland. Not knowing much about the iphone at the time and wanting to get her present to work so as not to disappoint her, I went to a phone unlocking shop and had it unlocked. It has been working fine since then and I've no problems with it.

I also think it has been jailbroken as the 'installer' and 'cydia' apps are there but i never use them for fear of messing up the phone.

I want to try to upgrade my iphone to the latest software update as most the apps i want to get require it and some of my existing ones are working funny or not at all.

I have an iphone 3G, running version 2.2(5G77), model: MB048LL and modem firmware of 02.28.00. Is this possible? or should just continue on? I'd prefer not to end up with brick as i've grown quite attached to it!

I would appreciate any help, tips or advice,

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement