Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers being paid on the double

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Teachers get about 90 day's paid holiday a year. Giving up three weeks of that to mark exams still leaves them with three times more holidays than most people.

As was already stated, teachers get an annual wage. They essentially get paid by the hour, 22 hours per week for 34 weeks - I should also point out here that over one quarter of teachers in secondary schools do not have a full secure contract, I have a contract for four hours and am liable to have to move to another part of the country next year for work, if there is any - and this is divided by 12 or 24, depending on whether the teacher is DOE or VEC, thus giving the teacher an annual wage paid either bi-weekly or monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

As was already stated, teachers get an annual wage. They essentially get paid by the hour, 22 hours per week for 34 weeks - I should also point out here that over one quarter of teachers in secondary schools do not have a full secure contract, I have a contract for four hours and am liable to have to move to another part of the country next year for work, if there is any - and this is divided by 12 or 24, depending on whether the teacher is DOE or VEC, thus giving the teacher an annual wage paid either bi-weekly or monthly.

they get paid a salary, hence the salary scale. The lack of full time contracts is nothing to do with this discussion about getting extra pay on top of their salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

That is really ridiculous. Teachers should be made to correct exams. If not in their own school, then the next neighboring school etc. Any young teachers i know have new cars and are off traveling the world for 3 months of the summer, while getting fully paid, and then the gov are forking out extra for teachers who wish to earn 'more' money by correcting papers.

Teachers should be made do 3 weeks off non classroom work once the end of term has finished. for example, last class is on the 27th May etc, then they should be made work @ whatever is assigned to them for the next 3 weeks, be it correcting exams, producing new notes, administration for new students etc...

Now its no fault of the teachers, if they are not made/required to do it then like any job they are not going to do it. Its down to the people who make the rules and set them. Teachers are well entitled to be off for the summer as i know this first hand being involved in 3rd level education and the hours of none classroom prep work. I only get paid for the hours i teach, and must correct all exams my students sit, or mark papers from others courses.

Advertisement