Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with 22lr licensing donegal

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi i live in donegal im 16 and was looking for help regards firearm licensing. I hope to do a firearm competency any in donegal? And also if i was to get a 22lr cz452 would i need to join a rifle range/club or could i join just a normal gun club probably more questions
    Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to Boards.
    m22lr wrote: »
    I hope to do a firearm competency any in donegal?
    most ranges, gun clubs, even RFDs hold competency courses. The NARGC also do them. You simply need to check the NARGC website for times and dates in your locale for any upcoming ones. Here is a list of ranges, check which is closest and contact them to see if/when they are holding the next one. Also here is a list of RFDs, check them for the same.
    And also if i was to get a 22lr cz452 would i need to join a rifle range/club or could i join just a normal gun club
    To get the license you need to provide one of the following:
    • Membership to an authorised rifle range
    • Membership of a gun cluub
    • Two separate permissions from land owners/farmers.

Any more questions feel free to ask. Plenty of lads and ladies to help you out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 m22lr

Thanks cass, If you gave 2 landowners permission does the land have to be suitable for hunting i have an idea of an area very near me were people shoot often but mostly at targets i know its not supposed to be aloud to shoot outside of an authorised range but this is a safe enviroment and probably does have the odd fox thanks

If you gave 2 landowners permission does the land have to be suitable for hunting
    Yes. If that is what you want the rifle for then it must be suitable for hunting.
    i have an idea of an area very near me were people shoot often but mostly at targets i know its not supposed to be aloud to shoot outside of an authorised range but this is a safe enviroment and probably does have the odd fox thanks
    Still illegal lad, and no matter how safe it can get you or those involved in serious trouble. So best not to mention that and we'll leave the discussion of it there as it's illegal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ino but was just curious im new here But theres only normal gun clubs in my general area and no rifle ranges would they still come under the same category?

A rifle range is a range that has authorisation from the DoJ/An Gardaí to allow target shooting to take place on the premises/land.

A gun club is a game club with members and a collection of permissions from local land owners.

Membership to either will suffice, but so too will your own permissions, signed by the land owners, and separate to the gun club.

• Advertisement

so is it more less pointless ticking target shooting if im going to join a gun club?What about travelling down the country and bringing your rifle with you what is the law(i might invest in a locked case)as my uncle has land

so is it more less pointless ticking target shooting if im going to join a gun club?
    Pretty much. As it's illegal they'll refuse your application. Targeet shooting can only occur on a range.
    What about travelling down the country and bringing your rifle with you what is the law(i might invest in a locked case)as my uncle has land
    No bother at all.

The permissions you give don't have to be local. You can travel the 26 counties with your firearm(s) if your permissions are elsewhere. Just get the permissions from whomever you can, apply and if you get more permissions then you are free to travel to them.

anything i should look out for when filling out the application such as referees (help is greatly aprreciated)

Not really. Have a read of this for help filling it out.

If unsure about anything just post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

anything i should look out for when filling out the application such as referees (help is greatly aprreciated)

For the referees always put down family members (mother, father, siblings, uncles) (told this by Garda) as when they need to contact you it makes it a lot easier for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

m22lr hello give me a pm if you want with ur location and I'll give you details, of a couple of people who can sort out competency for you, if you are up North Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

hexosan wrote: »
    For the referees always put down family members (mother, father, siblings, uncles) (told this by Garda) as when they need to contact you it makes it a lot easier for them.

I would have thought that family members or relations would be fairly poor references...!

The whole idea of a ref IMO is to get a person of high standing to vouch for your character. Now if you only know your mum and your uncle by the time your old enough to buy/licence a rifle then I'd think twice before approving you..
    You dont need your local TD(but it would be good) to vouch for you but anyone that has known you a few years. They should be of good character in both their professional and personal life..

Anyway that's how I see it..

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I would have thought that family members or relations would be fairly poor references...!

The whole idea of a ref IMO is to get a person of high standing to vouch for your character. Now if you only know your mum and your uncle by the time your old enough to buy/licence a rifle then I'd think twice before approving you..
    You dont need your local TD(but it would be good) to vouch for you but anyone that has known you a few years. They should be of good character in both their professional and personal life..

Anyway that's how I see it..

While what you suggest it a good idea it's not needed at all, I was talking with our local guard about 20mins ago and he said of about 1000 apps submitted he's yet to see one come back for using a family member as been unsuitable.

what about ammo limit for a 22lr was thinking 600 as the cheap bulk packs and the spare brass anyone any advice?

if you want 600 rounds , add a letter to your application stating why you want 600, again you can state buying the bulk pack is less expensive, if your not joining a range don't mention target shooting, as to do target shooting u have to be a member of a official range

Most ammo too would be bought online (more of a selection)cheap and handy so the postage too would be cheaper if i bought in bulk

Cost effectiveness is one aspect, but on it's own will be ignored as a reason for a higher allowance.

You need to show multiple reasons and i find the best one is the issue about empty/fired brass being classed as live ammo and hence counted towards your total allowance, as being the best. Couple this with other reasons as i outlined above and the more you give the better the chance you can get what you want. Or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

Not telling you your business or disagreeing with cass but in my experience ud be best off to join ur local gun, club say u want it for fox shoot or rabbits and put the secretary and chairman of the gun club down as ur references, that's what we do in our local club and I no our local gardai hate people applying with permission letters they really prefer for u be part of a club especially if ur very young and ul find other members will be more than willing to bring u shootin with them and help u out while ur getting used to it all

+1 on the above for a young shooter club is the way to go, you will meet fellow shooters and most importantly you will learn from them, not alone about shooting but safety aswell

moreau118 wrote: »
    Not telling you your business or disagreeing with cass but in my experience ud be best off to join ur local gun, club say u want it for fox shoot or rabbits and put the secretary and chairman of the gun club down as ur references, that's what we do in our local club and I no our local gardai hate people applying with permission letters they really prefer for u be part of a club especially if ur very young and ul find other members will be more than willing to bring u shootin with them and help u out while ur getting used to it all

All well and good if your allowed join the local club. Not all clubs are as welcoming to new members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

I dunno but from what I can see with local clubs in my area and the club I'm part of is young lads are more than welcome to join who have a genuine interest and are livin in the area and the only problem with new members and i never c this with young lads by the way, is dickheads who decide they want a gun ask to join pay once and as soon as they get a licence u never hear from them again until they want to renew the licence, but back to the point Id recommend that u ask anyway I bet there'd be no problem joining and as said by wadi14 from a safety factor and learning the club lads would look after ya

should i write a letter with the form stating why i need a moderator

Yes or you won't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes, you should include that letter. Without it, you have very little chance of being granted permission for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ChrisBarrett7

Not sure if this will help but I'm 17 and I had a bit of difficulty securing my .22lr rifle license. When you're filling out the licence include a typed out page on why you need the rifle (good reasons and explanations), be personal and specific but very formal. This will give the Guard a good indication of what you are really like.
    You might need to be prepared for a long wait too, took me nearly 5 months to get my licence!
    Hope it works out for you, happy hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Not sure if this will help but I'm 17 and I had a bit of difficulty securing my .22lr rifle license. When you're filling out the licence include a typed out page on why you need the rifle (good reasons and explanations), be personal and specific but very formal. This will give the Guard a good indication of what you are really like.
    You might need to be prepared for a long wait too, took me nearly 5 months to get my licence!
    Hope it works out for you, happy hunting!

Guards rang me the same day I submitted my shotgun app to say they had accepted it. I had a letter written outlining: my reasons for wanting the gun, my security and storage facilities, a photocopy of my competency cert, and two written permissions for land to shoot on

On a firearms joint licence application at section 3.3 (source of firearm) do you normally put the details of where the firearm was original purchased or the details of the current (joint) licencee.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Depends where you are my local said no family members

On a firearms joint licence application at section 3.3 (source of firearm) do you normally put the details of where the firearm was original purchased or the details of the current (joint) licencee.
    I was unsure of this too as section 4.2 is specifically for the joint license section, but to cover myself i included the other license holder in section 3.3 too, then filled in section 4.2.

Never had a bother. Plus on the sheet of extra info make a note of this and highligh it's a joint application.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    I was unsure of this too as section 4.2 is specifically for the joint license section, but to cover myself i included the other license holder in section 3.3 too, then filled in section 4.2.

Never had a bother. Plus on the sheet of extra info make a note of this and highligh it's a joint application.

That was what I was planning on doing as well. Thanks.

Advertisement