Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

devnull wrote: »
    Read my post again - I didn't mention anything about the bus having an effect on any service.

Fair enough but I am just pointing out that the over capacity on this service has alwyas being there and its not something more recent like some other who read this page will think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Jamie2k9 - do you have any connection with Irish Rail or any Railway body in this country?

You are far too defensive and seem to have a severe chip on your shoulder about the bus.

This has gone completely off topic and once again has been derailed by the usual suspects.

Jamie2k9 - do you have any connection with Irish Rail or any Railway body in this country?

You are far too defensive and seem to have a severe chip on your shoulder about the bus.

This has gone completely off topic and once again has been derailed by the usual suspects.

I have no connection, know one of two that work. I have a problem with some of the criticism they get and as you say by the usual suspects.

I have no problem with this service, have even used it 5 times and would do so again before GoBe service. Its a great service but its overated on here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I do agree that some of the criticism of the CIE companies is over the top and there are some people who are using any opportunity to put Irish Rail down, although to be fair there are some people who are the opposite on this board so it is just not one way.

There is a market for both the bus services and the train, personally I prefer the bus but I respect that there are reasons why the bus won't suit and for others the opposite, but to think just one type or other is needed is OTT in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I do agree that some of the criticism of the CIE companies is over the top and there are some people who are using any opportunity to put Irish Rail down, although to be fair there are some people who are the opposite on this board so it is just not one way.

There is a market for both the bus services and the train, personally I prefer the bus but I respect that there are reasons why the bus won't suit and for others the opposite, but to think just one type or other is needed is OTT in my view.

A very fair post!

• Advertisement

They have now posted a news article up about it:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=385

They still have not updated the timetable page however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might tone it down a bit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aircoach 4pm ex-Dublin today full, about 20 people left behind, given tickets for the next coach.

Aircoach 5pm ex-Dublin, full again, about 25 people left behind, given tickets for the next coach.

Aircoach 6pm ex-Dublin, two coaches come, both full or very close to it.

Obviously a very busy day, but looks like Aircoach to Cork is doing really well, if they keep this up they will need to get one or two double deckers!!

BTW the 3 Aircoaches I saw heading to Cork were all Jonckheeres.

The chap boarding passengers was recommending people book online in future. That is good advice, but it would be much easier if you could book the same day, rather then just 5pm the day before.

Dublin Coach to Limerick, saw two services, both completely full.

Checking online, it seems the 6:30 GoBE to Cork was sold out too.

I really can't believe GoBE cancelled the 5:30 to Cork service, it must be the busiest service every day, makes no sense at all. Fair enough going, bi-hourly for the rest, but you would think they would keep this service. Having a service at 4:30 and 6:30 only and leaving 5 and 6 (right in the peak) to Aircoach seems crazy.

Anyway good to see all the coach companies doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Always good to see all travel businesses doing well.

To be fair the mid-week ones from 2-4pm in Dublin I have seen are only around 50% and peak times are always going to be Fri-Sun.

I believe Jonck's are put on the busiest services where possible on purpose since they seat the most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well it is still a massive improvement over what I was seeing on the route just a few months ago.

Every time I take it, it seems to be busier and busier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And here was the post on the DB twitter page - just think I've wasted my own spare time to just prove the inaneness of your post:

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/322242526310440961
    A version of the calculator is being worked on for our apps and hope to have it live later in the year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ok.

Because it's worth it: Bus stop / parking / loading discussion moved to a new thread.

Bickering posts deleted as there were so many of them... but great to see everybody backing down in the end!

Just been on the 11pm ex-Cork Service. Arrived in Dublin at 1:45 am (just 2 hours 45 minutes). Superb service, will be using it frequently in the future.

BTW Driver was very nice and friendly too.

BBTW How does the Cork bus get to the Airport from Dublin City, does it take the port tunnel?

Uses the tunnel.

Can't imagine it was that busy though seeing as it's barely advertised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

It was advertised on the News Page, and Facebook, and Twitter, what more do you want?!?

Oh it was advertised on their website but no mention of a start date!
    Aircoach is very pleased to advise our customers using our Cork service that, as part of an ongoing review and Aircoach's commitment to the route, we are delighted to announce a new later departure from Cork to Dublin City Centre through to Dublin Airport.

This service will depart from Cork at 23:00 each day, will arrive into Dublin City Centre at 02:00 and Dublin Airport at 02:20.

Now considering it's not on the timetable page, and a couple of days after it started the stop at Westmoreland Street showed the last service from Cork as being 7pm, then I think it's a reasonable expectation that people either don't know about it, or don't think that it has started yet.

Most people would logically start at the timetables page, after all, that is what it is there for and this page is incorrect. Really what Aircoach need if they don'#t want to hire someone to fix all of the wrongs is to get some customer panel for example like other First Operating Companies have to feed back to the business and get action, since a website is effectively a sales pitch and a lot of it does nothing to sell the service and it's like nobody has thought about how it reads/looks from a customer point of view who won't have the knowledge of the staff member writing it.

It was advertised on the News Page, and Facebook, and Twitter, what more do you want?!?

In fairness, it really should be on the timetable on the website.

After all that is where the vast majority of travellers are going to look. Most regular travellers won't be following them on twitter, facebook, news, etc.

Second most important place is the timetables on the bus stops.

Really updating the website is a completely trivial task, should take no more then 60 seconds.

There really isn't any excuse for the Aircoach site to be so badly broken and out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Aircoach are just dreadful at updating their information.

I went back to them briefly when GoBÉ raised their fare to €22. I had one trip on an uncomfortable toiletless bus that was delayed due to an Urlingford stop. But what done it for me was a trip on the Caenteno bus with the smelly toilet at seating level, egh! Needless to say I'm back to GoBÉ these days.

• Advertisement

It's a lack of customer focus at the end of the day that is the problem when it comes to their website.

The floor level toilet was that was as the coach used to operate on National Express work and National Express would plain refuse any contractors vehicle that did not offer a floor level toilet.

Still the Aircoach Jonck's blow anything that GoBe Out of the water but they don't have a toilet either and I agree that the Caetano's are a bit tight on leg room apart from the first few rows, but again down to being built to National Express contract spec.

I have to admit that I really love the Volvo 9700s. The Joncs with full leather seating are just uncomfortable to me, I know I'm probably in a minority on this board with that thinking.

Those Caenteno yokes are the reason why I'd never use National Express in the UK.

I hate the Volvo 9700's since if you are pretty tall and don't sit in the front half of the bus they're just horrible since there is no room for your head at the back due to tiered seating and the seating recline system is horrible, since whilst it allows you to lay back, it just reduces leg-room as the seat moves forward. I can imagine if you are not a bit over 6ft though they're quite nice, just don't suit me at all.

For me the standard of UK coach on scheduled services is nothing special, whilst NX bang on about how great their Caetano coaches are, they're really nothing special, with bad build quality, badly designed luggage racks, poor leg-room and generally just badly laid out in my view.

The general standard of private coaches on front line services here are much better than in the UK, but saying that the coach market share is much smaller there and trains have a much higher modal share than they do here.

The Volvo 9700's are ok but far from the best.

The best coach I've used in Ireland are the Citylink Van Hools. Really an absolutely superb coach, pretty much the prefect intercity coach with almost everything you would want in an intercity coach. I hope Aircoach get coaches like these eventually.

Yeah the whole toilet situation and the Urlingford stop is definitely Aircaoch's weakness.

On the other hand, since GoBE cut their schedule in half, I just don't think it is a useful schedule any more.

Departure is either 4:30 which most people wouldn't be finished work yet or 6:30 which is a bit late after work, meaning too much waiting around for it.

The Aircoach times of 5 or 6 are much better for the evening rush hour. I really can't believe GoBE cancelled their 5:30 service, it most have been one of their busiest departures!!

So really neither company of really cracked and perfected the Cork route, unlike Citylink and to a lesser extent GoBus on the Galway route, but in fairness the Cork route is only a year old, while the Galway route has been around for years. I hope the Aircoach and GoBE services similarly mature.

Citylink are going to two hourly though from May when every other service is going express to Dublin Airport.

Citylink are going to two hourly though from May when every other service is going express to Dublin Airport.

Not quite, they will still be hourly at peak times, but bihourly off peak, with the other hourly direct service going direct to Dublin Airport:

http://www.eireagle.com/images/timetables.jpg

To be honest, I agree, I don't think the direct Dublin Airport services are a particularly good idea, you will lose people heading to Dublin City, for the sake of 15 minutes faster to Dublin Airport, but I suppose they want to try something new!

I think a weekend in Galway is on the cards for me just to sample these new VanHools :). Do they operate many of the services on this route?

BenShermin wrote: »
    I think a weekend in Galway is on the cards for me just to sample these new VanHools :). Do they operate many of the services on this route?

Nearly all the coaches they use on this route seem to be VanHools now. They are all very good, but not all have the same superb spec as I described earlier with the timber floor and coach level toilet. But all have most other features.

The Aircoach site is now updated, the PDF isn't though:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.cork.php

Only three weeks late, better late than never I guess though.

• Advertisement

The Aircoach site is now updated, the PDF isn't though:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.cork.php

Only three weeks late, better late than never I guess though.

But only partly updated, the timetable as a heading that says:

"Departing 11:00 - 19:00 Hours" but then has the 23:00 service under that table.

Surely it would have been better to put the 23:00 service in the table above it, which currently says "Departing 00:00 - 10:00 Hours"

Note there is no 00:00 service. Change this title to:
    "Departing 23:00 - 10:00 Hours" and put the 23:00 service in this table and both tables would be be more balanced and have the same number of departures, they currently have 8 departures on one table and 10 on the other, rather then 9 in both!

Also I don't understand why they have the late night departures before the day departures, doesn't make sense.

Attention to detail people!

They've 'updated' a few more pages on their site thanks to the Ballsbridge changes it seems as well, but many of them have been done in a quite lazy way similar to the way the Cork one was done lacking attention to detail.

They've also removed all of those FAQ's that are hopelessly out of date, rather than actually updating them, they removed out of date text from the "Our Coaches" page but not updated the existing text they've left there to mention Wifi for instance.

Speaking of Ballsbridge, they forgot to change this page:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.dublin.citycentre.php

This page is good however:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.ballsbridge.php

Similar error to the Cork one here (look at the first table)
    http://www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.fares.php

They removed Ballsbridge, but didn't fix the spelling error right next to the word:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/coach.bus.transport.dublin.airport.service.php

I was hoping when they updated the site due to the Ballsbridge changes they'd fix all of the existing errors, some are still there, some new ones have been created, some out of date info has been left there, whereas other things have simply been removed totally rather than brought up to date.

Attention to detail fail. Again.

They appear to have fixed all those issues and even updated the 'Our Coaches' page to mention Wifi, hopefully someone has been reading here and has finally come around!

With the BE strike on, it seems that Aircoach have added a lot of extra capacity:
    https://twitter.com/alansmith90/status/333505202940436480

With the BE strike on, it seems that Aircoach have added a lot of extra capacity:

I'm really surprised by this!

I assumed that BE had already lost most of their Cork to Dublin passengers to Aircoach and GoBE already. Unless like you mentioned in the other thread, GoBE passengers assuming that GoBE is also effected by the strike.

Great news for Aircoach, not only lots of nice extra revenue, but also an opportunity for them to show off their service to BE passengers and potentially gain lots of new long term customers.

Just a pity they don't have a fleet of new toilet equipped coaches to really impress.

I also expect Aircoach will do very well to Belfast, where the BE/Ulsterbus is cut in half, with only Ulsterbus services running. I expect even with Ulsterbus still running, because Busaras is closed, many will assume that this service isn't running at all and they will go for Aircoach instead. This could be particularly damaging for BE/Ulsterbus, as I've gotten the impression that the Aircoach service to Belfast hadn't taken off as well as the Cork service as BE/Ulsterbus are much more competitive on this route (faster journey time, 24 hour hourly schedule).

Specially with the Aircoach service being about 15 minutes faster, good opportunity for them to show off.

This is the foolishness of a BE strike that I mentioned in the BE strike thread, potentially driving the remaining BE passengers to private operators. Really couldn't come at a worse time for BE.

They appear to have fixed all those issues and even updated the 'Our Coaches' page to mention Wifi, hopefully someone has been reading here and has finally come around!

Do Aircoach still have the "stage carriage" licence between Dublin and Cork I wonder. The strike will leave a lot of people on the BÉ X8 corridor without any bus, a good niche for a private.

The Aircoach Belfast route is not very well known though so I'd be surprised if it was that much of a benefit. Especially when they have no information at the bus stop or even any timetable there, although apparently that is not down to them. I'd hope the shop they have is open though and staff are actively being seen around the stop.

The Bus service is ran with CIE and Translink in Partnership through their subsidiaries and the train service is ran by their subsidiaries too,, so I'd be surprised if they were not being directed to the trains, since it would be in the interests of both parent groups to do that even if there are better options for passengers.

There are still a number of people who are taking Bus Eireann end to end, be that free travel pass holders who had to pay on GoBE and Aircoach, students who had special tickets, passengers who bought those special offer tickets recently as well as the ones who think GoBE is Bus Eireann. There are also some people who would only ever travel with a state company no matter what.

The fact is, even if only a small number of customers find out about, and switch to private operators this is more income lost for BE and this is why long term this strike isn't good for anyone, the longer it continues the better it is for the privates.
    Do Aircoach still have the "stage carriage" licence between Dublin and Cork I wonder. The strike will leave a lot of people on the BÉ X8 corridor without any bus, a good niche for a private.

I just checked on the NTA license list previously they had two Dublin to Cork licenses now they have one, so I would suggest the multi-stop one has lapsed.

• Advertisement

It is a pity that their Cork multi-stop license has lapsed, would have been a good opportunity for Aircoach.

I assume free travel pass users would switch over to Irish Rail (not really a win for them). I doubt many, if any free travel pass people take BE city to city, been able to take the train for free, and free travel pass users were probably on the other stops between the cities.

I suppose there could be some folks using BE with tax saver tickets, do Aircoach/GoBE take tax saver scheme, maybe a missed opportunity for them there.

I'd hate to be a GoBE driver today, there are going to be lots of arguments with passengers with BE tickets and maybe free travel passes trying to use them on GoBE.

I think GoBus partnering with BE may really end up biting them. Think they would have done better on their own.

I'm not so sure about the Aircoach Belfast service, certainly Aircoach could have done a way better job marketing it, but I think many regular travellers to Belfast might have been aware of it but not bothered to use it due to relatively little difference. Now with the strike they might seek it out and give it a try.

To be honest if I was Aircoach, I'd send some of the ticket sellers over to Busaras with a bill board and sell tickets there and direct people to the Aircoach stop. Fantastic chance for Aircoach to really sell this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

bk wrote: »

To be honest if I was Aircoach, I'd send some of the ticket sellers over to Busaras with a bill board and sell tickets there and direct people to the Aircoach stop. Fantastic chance for Aircoach to really sell this service.

I have no doubt the biys in the union picketing the place would have no problem whatsoever with them doing that :pac:

TINA1984 wrote: »
    I have no doubt the biys in the union picketing the place would have no problem whatsoever with them doing that :pac:

And as long as it is on the public streets, what exactly could they do about it?

Don't think it's a good idea myself when there is a strike going on, will just stir up tensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

And as long as it is on the public streets, what exactly could they do about it?

they'll probably be verbally abused by the picketers at the very least, mobs are like that.

• Advertisement

Indeed, it's really not worth it, I wouldn't want to cross a picket for the same reason even if I didn't agree with a strike, you'd be called a scab and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is Aircoach becoming a victim of its own success? I caught the 17.30 Dublin Airport - Cork service on Monday and was rather less impressed than I have been previously (it's been several months since I used the service). Bus took on about 20 passengers at the airport before heading to the city centre, where our arrival was greeted with scenes reminiscent of the last chopper out of Saigon. A large number of people were waiting and what could best be described as a scrum developed as the bus pulled up, complete with people pushing, shoving and near fights. The bus driver had to physically push people out of the way to get the luggage doors open while being shouted and screamed at in assorted languages. After much hassle with boarding (including one lady who disembarked against the boarding passengers to pick up the baby she had left with a stranger while she brought her multiple bags onboard!), the bus left to angry shouts from some of the 20 or so passengers left behind. The bus was completely full and, while I'm sure this is great for Aircoach's revenue, it simply not comfortable for passengers on a long journey. The bus had no toilet, which I believe makes it the Jonckheere often cited here as being perhaps the most spacious bus on the route. Including a stop in Urlingford, the journey from airport to Cork took 4 hours, half an hour more than scheduled. It's worth noting that the goBE bus which left Dublin Airport 30 minutes after our Aircoach pulled up across the river in Cork within five minutes of us.

I've seen similar scenes on Westmorland Street on Friday evenings. While this scrum for the Cork bus occurs the bus stop also serves several other operators and routes. Something needs to be done about this mess before we've another Wellington Quay tragedy on our hands. It's going to get even worse when Luas BXD works start up.

The boarding of Go Bus, Wexford Bus and Bus Éireann at George's Quay is a much more civilised affair. Coaches there have their own dedicated set down area well away from traffic and the area is much safer for passengers.

As a matter of priority for safety reasons I think the 145 bus stop at Aston Quay should be moved to Westmoreland Street and the Dublin Coach/Cork Aircoach stop moved to Aston Quay. There's dedicated set down areas here with plenty of room for coaches to deal with 50+ boarding passengers.

The whole toilet situation with Aircoach is a joke. In my experience the coaches that do have toilets are prone to bad odours, the ones without toilets are almost guaranteed to be 15 to 30mins delayed at Urlingford. I'm happy to pay the extra €4 return to travel GoBÉ every time, their service beats Aircoach hands down IMO.

The Jonckheere is the biggest capacity bus on the route and is normally assigned to the busiest times to take the most people possible on those journeys, as stated before, booking online is the only way to guarantee a seat and if enough book online a second coach will be provided pretty much all the time and even when this isn't the case sometimes a second is provided.

As stated on here before, with the leasing situation (long leases signed in the boom) being the way it is with Aircoach, I'd say there is unlikely to be any change in the arrangement of coaches on that route until some of them come to an end. If they did acquire some more coaches they'd just make others redundant that they are paying for in leases which have a while to run, which would increase costs hugely.

The 6 coaches with toilet came from the parent company who no longer required vehicles with a toilet so they were sent to Dublin. As these were owned vehicles by the parent company sending them to Aircoach didn't change the cost base whereas leasing six new coaches with toilets would have vastly increased it. The Jonck's were never ordered with inter-city services in mind, but because of falling demand on the airport routes they had to be assigned elsewhere, since the company were committed to paying for them.

When I've stopped at Urlingford it's only been delayed 10-15 minutes.

Yes, I think the Aircoach service to Cork has been a massive success and has gone way beyond Aircoaches expectations and that yes it is having serious growing pains.

I think they desperately need to change their online booking system so that you can book on the same day up to 30 minutes in advance. This will encourage more people to book online and give Aircoach a better idea of expected loadings so that can call in an extra coach when needed.

It also looks like they might need to buy/lease in some new double decker coaches to meet the demand.

Citylink to Galway and Dublin Coach to Limerick both use double decker intercity coaches at peak time.
    The whole toilet situation with Aircoach is a joke. In my experience the coaches that do have toilets are prone to bad odours, the ones without toilets are almost guaranteed to be 15 to 30mins delayed at Urlingford. I'm happy to pay the extra €4 return to travel GoBÉ every time, their service beats Aircoach hands down IMO.

Agreed. They really need to get new coaches and sort this mess out.

It will probably happen eventually. Their are also big fuel savings to make by getting new coaches. Citylink has all new 2013 coaches for this reason, even though their previous fleet were pretty young Jonckheeres.

It also looks like they might need to buy/lease in some new double decker coaches to meet the demand.

Now that would be a financial risk that I wouldn't say is worth taking right at the moment. Those double deckers both operators seem to quite a bit more time off the road than their single deck counterparts and have little luggage space and the Dublin Coach ones are far less comfortable than their double deck versions. Then you need to explore if their height would fit in the depot or preclude them from operating any route.

An overdecker such as what Citylink are bringing in may be more possible, but again it depends on costs and really only Vanhool will be in that market right now unless the upcoming Plaxton version is any good, which I doubt it is since most Plaxton coaches are not considered at the top of coach building.
    Agreed. They really need to get new coaches and sort this mess out.It will probably happen eventually. Their are also big fuel savings to make by getting new coaches. Citylink has all new 2013 coaches for this reason, even though their previous fleet were pretty young Jonckheeres.

The fuel savings over those 2008/2009 Jonck's will be a few percent if that, there really would not be any big cost saving to be had by changing them and it could possibly even be weighed out by the time you lease new coaches which may or may not be expensive.

As I said before, when coaches come up for renewal there is a chance you'll see new coaches and a number and spec that is more suited to the services they are working, but also giving the company some flexibility as well in the future so they don't pin themselves down one road.

Citylink's coaches that have returned were all coming to the end of their leases or were owned directly by Callinan coaches. Even if Citylink fail Callinan's can still use the coaches for their private hire services since I understand they have a balanced portfolio of of owned and leased vehicles, this means it's less of a financial risk going forward.

The changes have to be made in a sustainable way, it's all very well offering the newest coaches with every faculty under the sun, but if it sends the company deep into the red when it's survival could be at stake as it's took on far too much financial risk to do so then it's terrible judgement. I'm sure they want to improve the services, but it has to be done by what the company can realistically afford given it's financial position which is one of loss making.

We've seen with Bus Eireann the fact they are struggling financially after investing big money in new coaches and then had to ask the staff to take a cut because of the financial position less than a year later (whatever the rights or wrongs of the strike), Aircoach would not have the security or safety-net that such company has so they have to manage their business in a way that is sustainable and unfortunately that means keeping costs down as low as possible. I would suspect any investment will be looked at on a "How much return could we realistically get on it in the short to medium term" basis.

Does anyone know when the Aircoach Jonckheere leases come to an end?

With regards double decks, I travelled on one of these at the start of the month with GoBus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayats_Bravo

It was one of the most comfortable intercity coach trips I ever had. I also rate Bus Éireann's new double decks really high, although I've heard there's luggage storage problems on them.

Translink have a bunch of the Ayats in Northern Ireland since 2007/2008. Well known to be the most unreliable vehicle in the fleet by some distance some have already been withdrawn and are supposed to be awaiting sale due to the amount of problems they've had with them and drivers are supposed to be totally fed up with driving them and are reverting back to single deck coaches to replace them as they believe it's going to be more cost effective.

The trouble with less reliable coaches is the more unreliable a fleet is, the more coaches you need to cover for those that are off the road or broke down, you then need more drivers to rescue broken down services, or possibly hire in coaches from other operators, you then need to pay for towing and recovery costs, maintenance etc, it vastly drives costs up for the operator which could outweigh the whole benefits of the extra revenue achieved by running a larger vehicle anyway.

No idea when the Jonckheere leases come to an end but I'd guess late 2013/2014 at the earliest, the 2004 Setra's have been here for 9 years but I'd guess they had their leases renewed at some point (during the boom no doubt) as the 2003 Setra's departed at end of lease in late 2008 and early 2009.

Personally I haven't liked any twin deck coach I've been on apart from a new Vanhool overdecker similar to the one Citylink have and a German registered Setra double decker which still rates as the best vehicle I've ever been on of any type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Should point out that I mention the Jonckheere not because I miss the bog (doesn't bother me, although I can see why it would others), but because I found the supposedly most comfortable coach on the route to be cramped and uncomfortable when full (although admittedly I ain't exactly petite!).

Well I've been on one completely full and never had a problem with it, although the Levante's with a toilet when full are not that comfortable.

The Jonck's have orange and blue full leather seats and are a much longer coach than the others but have around the same number of seats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement