Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Might be an idea to check the BIOS version and upgrade to latest etc..

Link here....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    It would be at €289.17 if it was not on special.
    €4 off doesn't seem all that special though. :p

but yes, my maths is terrible! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

vibe666 wrote: »
    €4 off doesn't seem all that special though. :p

but yes, my maths is terrible! :)

crying-smiley-sad-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000352-large.gif

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    crying-smiley-sad-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000352-large.gif
    ah don't feel bad, they can't all be world record breaking deals. ;)

it's still a steal with the cashback tho, whichever way you slice it. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Woukdw it be easy to set. This up to replace a NAS for torrents/media sharing or would it be a bit of hallse installing OS and configuration. ?

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Woukdw it be easy to set. This up to replace a NAS for torrents/media sharing or would it be a bit of hallse installing OS and configuration. ?

Depends on your computer skills...too some people it may be impossible to others it may be an hours work... :confused:

Also depends on the operating system and utilities you decide to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

mik_da_man wrote: »

That really depends on how comfortable you are with setting up a machine under linux or windows.

Heres a fairly straightforward Torrent Server/File share iso that would be quick to set up.

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/torrentserver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just received mine yesterday, really quiet box :) nice replacement for my over spec'd HP tower server (ML150)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Finally bit the bullet and ordered one. Still unsure if I'm going to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm tempted to get one and put unraid on it - has anyone here used this combination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Must.. resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Would one of these be able to handle on the fly transcoding of a number of files at the same time. I've changed my server from a 3ghz P4 to a E8400 machine as at times I can have up to 4 different files being transcoded and sent to different devices via lan and over the net.. I use air video quite a bit on the iphone/ipad and my family have access to the server also via remote access for watching vids.. The old machine would go crazy if you tried to do more than one file at a time..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Unboxing mine now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Onikage wrote: »
    Must.. resist...

Is this way better than getting a NAS device?

I was thinking of getting a NAS but this yoke looks the biz?

Is this way better than getting a NAS device?

I was thinking of getting a NAS but this yoke looks the biz?

It's cheaper than a decent NAS without any drives, more powerful than most consumer NAS boxes, far more customisable and far easier to expand with additional external storage. Only downside really is the lack of hardware RAID options other than 0 and 1 but most OS's will allow you use software RAID anyway (if you want it). :cool:

Just finishing setting up this box as a server.
    Anyone found a way of controlling the front 'HP' sign LED in Linux? Seems to have three colours, red, amber and blue. Blue being the normal colour during operation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just finishing setting up this box as a server.
    Anyone found a way of controlling the front 'HP' sign LED in Linux? Seems to have three colours, red, amber and blue. Blue being the normal colour during operation.
    Haven't looked at it yet, but have a poke around /sys.

You might be able to mount it using sysfs and control it that way. :)

Jonathan wrote: »
    Haven't looked at it yet, but have a poke around /sys.

You might be able to mount it using sysfs and control it that way. :)

Think that kinda of poking is outa my league :) can't find anything while searching. Another night maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gordonl

I guess that something like this in the 5.25" bay would provide a 5th swappable drive?

Dealextreme have something similar

gordonl wrote: »
    I guess that something like this in the 5.25" bay would provide a 5th swappable drive?

Dealextreme have something similar

Yup, that should work to add another drive via the additional SATA connector on the motherboard.

Note - you will need to also get yourself a SATA cable as that one isn't included in the box

• Advertisement

if you're looking for something to use as an external mirror for your data, you could do a lot worse than one of these: http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEV931036

it comes with its own pci-x multi-lane esata controller card and all the cables (inc. a nice long 1.5m esata cable which is handy) and will do the usual RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 & JBOD modes which you can configure via the included management app via the PC which works fine, more or less the same as a standard hardware RAID controller interface where it allows you to add/remove create/delete RAID volumes on the device and even has options to monitor the status of the volume and send you email alerts if there are issues with it.

i've got 4x 2tb (Samsung Spinpoint F4) drives in a single RAID5 volume in mine and you get about 5.45tb of usable ntfs formatted space from that which i'm using as a mirror for my NAS, with read and write speeds in the region of 100MB/s using the supplied esata controller, so it's pretty respectable and for the money its hard to beat.

before you create the RAID volume in the drive manager app, the drives just show up in windows individually, so you can do what you like with them there, or use the supplied app to configure the RAID volume at which point it just shows up in windows disk management as a single volume for you to format however you like, so you have plenty of options with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Got mine yesterday, set it up on windows server 2k8 r2 at the moment as was going to use freenas but it wipes any existing data drives you put into it...

anyone know what os i could use apart from 2k8 that will allow me to setup the box as a media server (ps3 media server), file server and a remote tunnel for external internet access...

thought about putting a standard copy of freebsd on it and trying to tweak it but not sure how much work that would be..

nialo wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday, set it up on windows server 2k8 r2 at the moment as was going to use freenas but it wipes any existing data drives you put into it...

anyone know what os i could use apart from 2k8 that will allow me to setup the box as a media server (ps3 media server), file server and a remote tunnel for external internet access...

thought about putting a standard copy of freebsd on it and trying to tweak it but not sure how much work that would be..

Ubuntu server? Dyndns for remote, mediatomb for ps3 and samba?

read the ubuntu didnt work that well on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Centos maybe then? Its usually rock solid on most hardware. I haven't tried it on this box yet though or ubuntu.

I'm playing around with esxi and adding in vms to test them out on the box.

It might be worth trying out so you can experiment with different os until you get what you need. I currently have Winserver2008, Freenas and some other vms for testing (brought up and down as needed) running on the machine.

This link is useful if you need to map physical devices under esxi by the way. In my case its allowed me to point to the 4x2Tb drives on the machine.

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

It might be sluggish if transcoding but for file sharing it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's OS certified for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so Fedora should work well on it.

cheers for the info guys. will looking the options. :)

• Advertisement

might be worth looking at clarkconnect too.

Advertisement