Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyross and Ballymun

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MOST working class people are fine, they don,t commit crime,
    there s a small minority of people that rob cars ,sell drugs etc
    GO to any large city in any country ,and there,s crime ,drug dealing,
    fraud ,
    its part of human nature.
    Theres dozens of upper class people ,that committed financial fraud,
    lets borrow millions,keep it of the books,lend people money to buy anglo shares,keep up the stock price,
    and destroyed this economy,
    very few of them will ever see the inside of a jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Two towns with the worst reputation yet the nicest and most geniune people living in them.

I have thought long and hard as to why this is. What is the great crime of the people in these working class comunities when we have the likes of the Quinns and Fitzspatricks and other uber-gombeen types who have done more damage to this nation that all the generations of people who ever lived in either Ballymun or Moyross.

It comes down to media. Irish journalists (mainly in newspapers) are the most class-obsessed wanknuts on this island.

They have generated a vicious stigma of the people living in these communities. It really does tell you a lot about the kind of pathologically driven social status-based types who become journalists.

When I first started driving I collected a lady friend who I met on Erasmus from the airport. I wanted to impress her with the nice place I lived which was Dublin.
    However I managed it, I ended up in Ballymun in rush hour and this was back before the regeneration project was underway.
    Saw a junkie take a sh1t not 5 feet from our car on the left near that newish hotel. People drinking outside that pub I think they call the Towers looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Few more undesirables on the footpath made both my guest and I feel a bit uneasy.
    I didn't know exactly how to lock all the doors in the car at once so I had to reach all around the doors of the car to lock them. I was in a hurry to do this as I was a bit panicked given my responsibility for my guest. Never forget the look I got from that girl. I haven't been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Push Pop wrote: »
    When I first started driving I collected a lady friend who I met on Erasmus from the airport. I wanted to impress her with the nice place I lived which was Dublin.
    However I managed it, I ended up in Ballymun in rush hour and this was back before the regeneration project was underway.
    Saw a junkie take a sh1t not 5 feet from our car on the left near that newish hotel. People drinking outside that pub I think they call the Towers looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Few more undesirables on the footpath made both my guest and I feel a bit uneasy.
    I didn't know exactly how to lock all the doors in the car at once so I had to reach all around the doors of the car to lock them. I was in a hurry to do this as I was a bit panicked given my responsibility for my guest. Never forget the look I got from that girl. I haven't been back.

That's the newish hotel that wasn't built until halfway through the regeneration project? and the towers pub that you would'nt have drove past coming from the airport because it was on the wrong side of the roundabout that was there before the regeneration project?

Were they all standing outside the boozer cos of the smoking ban that didnt come into place until 2004? ;)

Sounds legit alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

On another note, brought my kid to footlocker on o'connell st there on saturday. Hadn't been for a while. Ballymun is nice by comparison, as is Moyross. O'Connell st is a kip these days. Junkie central. I give a sh1t as I'm very rough(see above:rolleyes:) but I presume if you were not as awesomly rough as me you'd be intimidated. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. But O'connell st is still a bigger kip than Ballymun.

I've bought cars/vans etc in Ballymun and found the average Ballymunner to be grand. I bought a van in Summerhill (?) off O'connell st and was just waiting for them to jump me before the deal was done. They didn't, but it was touch and go. Roough enuf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

boombang wrote: »
    I was recently cycling through Ballymun and I saw two boys seeming to give a young black lady hassle ahead of me. I stopped to ask her what they were doing. She replied they had been spitting on her. The blood boiled.

30 seconds later some unrelated scumbag threw his empty coke bottle at me as I cycled on just for the laugh.

I did some work in Ballymun about ten years ago and met a load of really decent people, but the petty unpleasantness of my more recent experience is hard to overlook.

Have you considered getting counselling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

anncoates wrote: »
    Have you considered getting counselling?
    Fair point. I've heard being a cyclist can be cured through family intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

riclad wrote: »
    MOST working class people are fine, they don,t commit crime,
    there s a small minority of people that rob cars ,sell drugs etc

GO to any large city in any country ,and there,s crime ,drug dealing,
    fraud ,
    its part of human nature.
    Theres dozens of upper class people ,that committed financial fraud,
    lets borrow millions,keep it of the books,lend people money to buy anglo shares,keep up the stock price,
    and destroyed this economy,
    very few of them will ever see the inside of a jail.

The people that steal cars and sell drugs are not Working Class. They have no intention of integrating fully with society as normal people or gaining permanent employment. They are the underclasses.

Advertisement