Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The thread is so quiet

I didn't think the Irish guy was going to kill the General but a shame he didn't get to do what he was planning :D

The writer put in some research as there were civilians shot on North King Street

As for Lady Grantham and Mrs Crawley, meow
    The preview for next week showed who gets the upper hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I missed the first series, s I ordered it on Amazon because of all the talk about it and im Sky+ th scond series.

Looking forward to gettig into it and actually knowing what people are talking about :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

mikemac wrote: »
    The writer put in some research as there were civilians shot on North King Street

They were, but on the other hand the Military Service Act never included Ireland, despite the 1918 attempt, so I don't think Branson could have been conscripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Does anyone else feel that the name "Branson" was a bad choice of surname for the Irish lad???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Every scene that Irish guy is in is idiotic. A servant at a conservative country house mouthing off about Lenin and Kerensky? And why was he going to throw crap at him, kill him or do nothing. I assumed that he knew the heart problem would kill him soon so he'd little to lose.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    I assumed that he knew the heart problem would kill him soon so he'd little to lose.

He was found to have a heart murmur which can be entirely benign or only mildly problematic. Unless the murmur was a symptom of a more serious heart problem it would have no impact on his life.

I'm finding it quite difficult to discover whether he would have been conscripted or not. The Military Service Act stated that all male British subjects in his age group, resident in Britain would be eligible so that means he would be. However I can't find any reference to what would have been thousands or even tens of thousands of conscripted Irishmen in the breakdowns of Irish soldiers in WW1. Which is very sad if that happened.

There was a famous case during WW2 where an Irish citizen resident in England was conscripted into the British army and appealed it on the grounds that he was an Irish citizen under the constitution of the Free State, so that suggests that before the foundation of the state Irishmen in England would have had even less protection from conscription. But maybe as Ireland was exempt from the Military Service Act specifically because of the political situation with regard to Home Rule and Irish Nationalism the conscription of Irishmen resident in England may have been discouraged?

Either way Branson wasn't caught between a choice of prison or army like other British subjects. He could have returned to Ireland and avoided either. He could then easily have joined the republican forces if he so wanted to avenge his cousin's death. It would have been about a million times more effective than pouring a slop on a general who was not involved in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

iguana wrote: »
    He was found to have a heart murmur which can be entirely benign or only mildly problematic. Unless the murmur was a symptom of a more serious heart problem it would have no impact on his life.
    I know that, but maybe he didn't and assumed he was doomed, giving him a reason to do something reckless like mess up some guy's uniform.

I can't call you unprofessional as you've never held a profession
    Such bitchiness in this program. :D
    True comment though, Lady Grantham never had a job in her life
    Ethel getting herself "in trouble"
    Quite the scandal, back then she you'd be shunned

Felt sorry for Mosely, he was doing his best and his dream was dashed, aw bless :o

And even more scandal next week from the promo at the end
    Tbh, those promos give far too much away, already know what's going to happen Lady Mary and Mrs Bates next week.
    Might be an idea to switch off for the last minute of the show

As for a trained valet working in a pub???
    I think the servants are more class conscious and aware of different jobs then their employers upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

As for a trained valet working in a pub???
    I think the servants are more class conscious and aware of different jobs then their employers upstairs

I HATE the amount of slack that Mr. Bates gets in the show. I love his character he's so kind and thoughtful. I hate O' Brien and Thomas...they want to make everything so horrible for every one.....

Do you mean flack and not slack? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Do you mean flack and not slack? :)

Toe mato - Tomato..... It's all the same right?! :confused: ..... :o

Toe mato - Tomato..... It's all the same right?! :confused: ..... :o

No they mean pretty much the opposite of each other, slack means leeway. If you hate all the slack Bates gets then you'd be like O'Brien.

The timeline on this show makes me laugh. Mary and Robert were discussing the letter Richard sent to him describing how he proposed to Mary and apologising for not asking him sooner as if it happened a month or so ago - as it did for the viewer. Yet that happened in 1916 and this episode was 1918.

Felt sorry for Mosely, he was doing his best and his dream was dashed, aw bless :o

I don't like Mosely at all, the man gives me the creeps. I reckon he is up to no good. I feel he had an alterior motive when he offered to help out in the big house.

He's harmless Mrs D

Sure he was chatting to the other servant about his future and his dream
    "Look at him there, the valet to the Earl of Grantham"

It was a step up, a promotion
    He's such a dedicated worker he wants to keep busy and always do his best

Mikemac, you could be right but there is something about him that I don't trust, I reckon he has a devious side.

Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on him ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you forgetting the way he managed to avoid getting conscripted?

Is his "cowardice" what's making you think he's devious. Maybe it's the benefit of hindsight, but I don't think I'd blame any man for doing anything he could to avoid the hell that was the trench warfare of the first world war.

I thought Mr Mosley was unfit for service, some sort of skin condition on his hands

And rather then put him through a medical they just got him an exemption
    Have I remembered it incorrectly?

I thought Mr Mosley was unfit for service, some sort of skin condition on his hands

No, he exaggerated his condition to avoid being conscripted.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is his "cowardice" what's making you think he's devious
    I'm not sure, I just have a very strong feeling that this guy is going to be trouble, I could be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

He never had a condition. Maggie Smith made it up so that he'd get out of being conscripted. She admitted it and the doctor said he'd write to the army to tell them he was fit and well. Mosely accosted him and pretended that he really did have a condition. The doctor knew well that he was lying but went along with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

iguana wrote: »
    The timeline on this show makes me laugh. Mary and Robert were discussing the letter Richard sent to him describing how he proposed to Mary and apologising for not asking him sooner as if it happened a month or so ago - as it did for the viewer. Yet that happened in 1916 and this episode was 1918.

Really? This is mad! I missed the opening credits on weeks 2 and this week.

I've been confused about the timeline all through this new series. The last series ended on the outbreak of WWI, so August 1914.

From wikipedia so open to correction
    Season 2
    episode 1: Nov 1916
    ep 2:April 1917
    ep 3: circa July 1917
    ep 4: sometime early 1918

That is really racing through the war.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Really? This is mad! I missed the opening credits on weeks 2 and this week.

I've been confused about the timeline all through this new series. The last series ended on the outbreak of WWI, so August 1914.

From wikipedia so open to correction
    Season 2
    episode 1: Nov 1916
    ep 2:April 1917
    ep 3: circa July 1917
    ep 4: sometime early 1918

That is really racing through the war.

Yeah it's really odd. Mary and Violet discussing Mary's decision not to tell Matthew about Lavinia's responsibility for the breaking of the Marconi Scandal was another odd one. They were talking as if Mary made the decision yesterday when several months had passed. I was puzzling that one out when the even weirder conversation about Richard's letter to Robert was discussed.

On an offtopic note, getting into Upstairs Downstairs, seems promising

Was wondering why some of the early episodes were black and white but seems there was a strike on at the time with the production team

The butler is Enda Kenny :D
    Sounds exactly like him and looks like him too

On an offtopic note, getting into Upstairs Downstairs, seems promising
    I have the Upstairs Downstairs boxset too and I've lost count of the times I've watched the it. You're in for a real treat.

There was an Upstairs Downstairs TV Special last Christmas, Jean Marsh (Rose) appeared in it but it didn't have any of the magic of the original series.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/18068928/Upstairs-Downstairs/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=upstairs+downstairs&urlrefer=search

I love Upstairs Downstairs. It's a fantastic show. I especially love seasons 3 and 4, which timewise equate to seasons 1 and 2 of Downton. I know they aren't the same show but it kicks Downton's ass.

Last year's mini-series was very disappointing though. And they are currently producing a new longer series and afaik, it won't even have Rose in it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Heh?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

Season Two, dropped the baby on the floor

Flash of something white went scattering, I thought it was the skull bashed open and the infant was killed :eek::eek::eek:

Sarah using a doll as a trick :rolleyes:
    It wasn't funny :(

Anyway, looking forward to next episode of DA

What the hell? I'm confused by that comment.

Does anyone else think this forum has turned into a bit of a history lesson?? Who cares if the show isn't completely historically accurate, just enjoy it I say.

I don't like the acting of the guy who plays thomas, his accent seems totally unnatural. I quite liked him when he was in corrie but he just seems a bit strange here.

Love downton abbey and I wanna see more of branson, I think that guys a good actor.

It was in reference to the two posts above it

But yeah, it was offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Ooooooh I hate Vera! :mad:

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    Ooooooh I hate Vera! :mad:
    Agreed.

I love the Dowager Countess of Grantham, we are seeing a really kind and sensitive side to her tonight. Maggie Smith is a wonderful actress, I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role now.

Advertisement