Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

New rims

4.png

5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ongarite wrote: »
    How much for the delete? Just a straight through pipe in its place?
    I hear you usually get more high end power from the delete with some loss in torque.

The delete was 60, with straight through pipes.

I haven't really noticed the difference just yet being honest. I'll have to report back in a week:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love 'em Sheeps! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Would the new exhaust set up call for a re-flash?
    I imagine the ECU will want to know the car can exhale easier now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

dgt, there's something wrong with my supertankers engine, she's a bit rough in the mornings, are you free this week?

kabegami_flex96c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dgt, there's something wrong with my supertankers engine, she's a bit rough in the mornings, are you free this week?

kabegami_flex96c.jpg

pah...nothing a tdi couldn't take on the straight:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You would have that ripped asunder in an hour Mal! :D

Sure it's only as powerful as 93 Veyrons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

ongarite wrote: »
    How much for the delete? Just a straight through pipe in its place?
    I hear you usually get more high end power from the delete with some loss in torque.

Seems to depend on the model and it seems there is a small ECU adaptation period because it needs to learn the new set up.
    But in my own experience for my car it has not been the case. Last time I dynoed the car she had 410nm torque, and my cats were dead and I was still running x6 10 years coils on it.

I did a bit of testing the other day of my homemade leather cleaner I have been developing.
    It works very well. My solution also contain a very effective homemade again, plant based, product that kills bacteria and viruses.

Before, did not look too bad in fairness.

DSCN3212.JPG

DSCN3218.JPG

Then started to rinse the product away with clear water

DSCN3220.JPG

DSCN3223.JPG

Ok the product and dirt has now been fully wiped out. Now time to wipe dry with a new cloth.

DSCN3225.JPG

Yeah it was dirty, I clean my leather regularly, but I could not believe the amount of dirt my solution removed.

DSCN3228.JPG

Ok wiped dry...

DSCN3242.JPG

DSCN3234.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks good, but have you a leather balm to protect the leather with?

Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks good, but have you a leather balm to protect the leather with?

Yeah I have some from Leather Master but I don't bother anymore as my leather, especially the front is already cracked.

Was bored today, took the car for a spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Wheres the tune-age at?

EDIT: Nice watch. :cool:

Wheres the tune-age at?

EDIT: Nice watch. :cool:

Tune-age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

bmstuff wrote: »
    Tune-age?

Crappy songs playing in the background, as is tradition!

Tragedy wrote: »
    Crappy songs playing in the background, as is tradition!

Ah ah. Where there is one, people complain because they can't hear the engine,and when there is none, it seems people are complaining too lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Well tune-age can be anything really, depends on what you listin too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bmstuff wrote: »
    Was bored today, took the car for a spin...

Thanks for that. It's great to see that there is still people in Ireland who will have their big V8 saloons and just go for random spins in them saying screw the road tax and the fuel consumption. Great to see.

Oh and nice car too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

406 is heading even closer to being roadworthy :D

New tack rod ends, painted calliper and bracket :)
    Image223.jpg

Not too bad to do, just to remember how many turns it took to take out...
    Image224.jpg

French use a 16mm nut, First Line use a 17mm nut... Ugh! :rolleyes:

Brake fluid change was a must...
    Image225.jpg

That Skoda rim is for sale btw ;)

Sheer stupidity and bloody dangerous to leave that in. Lack of servicing again :mad:
    Image226.jpg

Then I cobbled on an exhaust and went for a spin...

Another day, another tractor :pac: but I fookin love that turbo whistle!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Did you fit the exhaust back on? sounds like shes blowing a bit (throaty sound).

Hal1 wrote: »
    Did you fit the exhaust back on? sounds like shes blowing a bit (throaty sound).

No backbox but she didn't sound like that before! I had it on in 3 minutes, a fairly quick job, I'll be taking it off again :)

I'll be getting another exhaust and decatting it :) thanks to barura, I have the ultimate felty backbox to put on :pac:

Not my pic but something similar
    scaled.php?server=833&filename=sta70116.jpg&res=landing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Yesterday I had my check engine light come on again. The vacuum house had blown off again, so I cut it back an inch and banged it back on. Should be fine now.
    Didnt have an obdII reader to reset the alarm this time so had to whip out the ecu fuse. I actually ordered a reader on friday so should have that soon enough.

I then spent 2 yours cramped under my steering column trying to sort out my aircon blowing hot sometimes when it should be cold. Very uncomfortable to work on I must say.
    Anyway I stripped out the stepping motor and worked the distributor flap around a bit by hand but all that was good. Gonna have to work further up the system, but not looking forward to that!

Today I bought €120 worth of Autoglym products at the Irish Classic Car Show. This includes the infamous HD Wax, paint renovator, super resin polish, clay bar kit, paint cleanser and a few microfiber mits.

All these plus many long hours of elbow grease should make MM and Vectra proud. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

166man wrote: »
    Today I bought €120 worth of Autoglym products at the Irish Classic Car Show. This includes the infamous HD Wax, paint renovator, super resin polish, clay bar kit, paint cleanser and a few microfiber mits.

All these plus many long hours of elbow grease should make MM and Vectra proud. :D

HD wax is the job,the clay bar kits are a bit of a rip off from megs though.all you really need is a bar of clay and some quick detailer.I bought a bar of clay and a 5 litres of APC from megs yesterday at a car show.

Just in from fitting a forge turbo intake pipe to the car,bitch of a job (for my skills set at least) :D

Video of what the car is like inside without the rear resonator on. Some accelerating to the red line when entering the motorway and some 120km/h cruising also. Still pretty much as quiet as it was before, a little more noise about 4k rpm.

Video of what the car is like inside without the rear resonator on. ............

What's a resonator ?

Doesn't your seat move back? You look jammed up to the steering column :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

RoverJames wrote: »
    What's a resonator ?
    :

It's a box along the exhaust system tuned to change the sound of the exhaust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What's a resonator ?

A resonator is kind of the same thing as a muffler whereby it absorbs noise in the exhaust system.

His seat probably is back as far as it can go, he's a tall fook! :D

• Advertisement

What's a resonator ?

Super wide angle lens give a weird perspective, but the seat is as far back as she'll go!

OSI wrote: »
    Where I'd expect to hear the biggest difference would be in accelerating from low speeds in higher gears, when you get the really low down "bbbbrrrr" sort of noise, not so much running up the revs.

Haven't noticed much of a bbbbrrrr noise at low revs at all. There's a bit more noise alright, but the note of it hasn't really changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'd love to put up a vid of the noise of mine but I'd only get in trouble here methinks. :pac:

I'd love to put up a vid of the noise of mine but I'd only get in trouble here methinks. :pac:

That would just be one big loud BAW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

That would just be one big loud BAW!

Ahhh, it's not too bad.

Do it for those of us that can appreciate the finer side of the automotive world. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Given the major projects some are doing on here this may seem a little trivial bit it made my non- mechanical head smile :)

Today I put these on my car

Petrol heads look away now!

http://i.imgur.com/2eflX.jpg

• Advertisement

bd2012 wrote: »
    Given the major projects some are doing on here this may seem a little trivial bit it made my non- mechanical head smile :)

Not necessarily, roof racks are a core feature of a whole genre of modified cars.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13957

Not necessarily, roof racks are a core feature of a whole genre of modified cars.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13957
    Aaah that's what I was going for :). Joking. Didn't know that nd. U learn something new every day! They add 10bhp too :):)

Aaah that's what I was going for :). Joking. Didn't know that nd. U learn something new every day! They add 10bhp too :):)

Its at least 15hp:P

Seriously though you should get a wind deflector for them. The seriously effect economy and stability at high speed other wise. Not to mention the wind noise from them.

Its at least 15hp:P

Seriously though you should get a wind deflector for them. The seriously effect economy and stability at high speed other wise. Not to mention the wind noise from them.
    Might do. Mind you they're handy enough to pop on and off so will only use them when I need them (surfboard). Believe it or not I did 60 miles tonight and the average mpg (running for last 6 months) actually moved from 49.9 to 50.0!! Then again I was taking it very handy with the 9foot6 monstrosity strapped to the roof :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Video of what the car is like inside without the rear resonator on. Some accelerating to the red line when entering the motorway and some 120km/h cruising also. Still pretty much as quiet as it was before, a little more noise about 4k rpm.

Are your wipers fitted in the wrong location? Sounds like there is some slap off them when they hit the pillar ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

vectra wrote: »
    Are your wipers fitted in the wrong location? Sounds like there is some slap off them when they hit the pillar ? :confused:

I think you're losing it? Lol

No, he's right. I got the same thing on the BMW I had years ago. I never could figure out what it was even though the wipers never went near the pillar.

It possibly is some part of the motor stopping once it reaches the height of the movement but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No, he's right. I got the same thing on the BMW I had years ago. I never could figure out what it was even though the wipers never went near the pillar.

It possibly is some part of the motor stopping once it reaches the height of the movement but I'm not sure.

All i can here is what sounds like mildly used wiper blades working at norm at 120kmph with no radio on.

Lost it years ago lad.. :D
    On a more serious note..Any unnecessary noise in a car drives me nuts.

Lost it years ago lad.. :D
    On a more serious note..Any unnecessary noise in a car drives me nuts.

What about all the unnecessary noise from the TDI then lad?:D

166man wrote: »
    What about all the unnecessary noise from the TDI then lad?:D

Arent they necessary to make it go?? :pac:

Arent they necessary to make it go?? :pac:

Yeah but the clatter noise is unnecessary when you can have a quiet petrol engine ;)

Towards the end of that video the wipers are on, but it had pretty much stopped raining so there was only a bit of spray on the windscreen at the time.

Yeah but the clatter noise is unnecessary when you can have a quiet petrol engine ;)

Meh..! :P

My E34 suffers the infamous wiper clock, where bushes wear and perish over years, allowing a bit of movement and a "clonk" when the wipers went back to park position.

I must do something with that car soon... :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement