Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nice 20 km out to Sutton and back in 54 minutes. Great day for it. That surface between the wooden bridge and the causeway though...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Weirdest weather on Saturday just gone....battered by the wind and soaked through Enniskerry even considered a route change to escape the weather......
    Pitstop with "Half" a cup of tea from the MTB shop in Ballinastoe to gather the thoughts....
    As soon as we turned right heading up Lugalla no wind or rain at all just eerily calm.....

Surely you know the cycling truism..................if there is no wind its behind you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Freezing yesterday, roasting today, just can't win! Grand cycle in this morning, I was just over dressed. Lovely cycle home yesterday evening. Glad to have the bit of light in the evenings now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Freezing yesterday, roasting today, just can't win! Grand cycle in this morning, I was just over dressed. Lovely cycle home yesterday evening. Glad to have the bit of light in the evenings now.

60k and first 45 windy but not too cold, last 15k cold almost sleety rains.
    Legs bit numb but enjoyed it and had good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

smacl wrote: »
    Really need to give up this work lark, so I can get longer mid week spins in.

Strongly recommend it (despite the occasional blip).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

P_1 wrote: »
    Nice 20 km out to Sutton and back in 54 minutes. Great day for it. That surface between the wooden bridge and the causeway though...

I've stopped going that way unless I'm on the MTB. Been taking the Howth Road when heading outbound lately - boring, with lots of traffic lights but a road surface to rival a baby's bum......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Strongly recommend it (despite the occasional blip).

Indeed. God be with the days before mortgages, when you could send the kids down the coal mines to make an honest days wage for their dear old dad.

Another lovely afternoon out, apart from the remains of a decapitated deer surrounded traffic cones on the Glencullen - Kilternan road. All very CSI, you think moving it of the road would make more sense than surrounding it with cones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I've done 81k on Monday, nice weather we haven't had for a long time. Started to burn out and starving around 62k, had to get 2 choc breakfast bars in order to get home. I had only a bowl of porridge before I started didn't last too long! :-(

Oh, man, if I was paid for going on a spin everyday, I'd happily take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Went up belgard road and onto killakee, up past viewpoint and onto Sally Gap, only averaged 17.7kmph to the Gap, I'd easily be over 20 in the summer.
    Home by manor kilbride/N81 and thru Citywest. 56kms at 21.8kmph average. Happy enough, but Im very slow up the climbs. First cycle using a speedo in months!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

25 km out to Dun Laoighre and back, that hail storm came at the most inopportune of times...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A flat 30km today at 29.4kmph average doing a ftp test. Worked out at 221w so happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I also did a threshold test today, as i just got a Garmin and HR monitor. Not sure about the results though. Annoyingly, I had to stop at a junction. Also, not sure if i went hard enough. My average HR for the last 20 mins of 30 mins test was 176. Will repeat test again in a few week and see how it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

With mid term child minding duties at full tilt I have been forced onto the road at night for my 'zone out time'. Ventured out around 730pm last night, layered up and what a glorious evening it was. Crystal clear, little or no wind, even with a large dose of lumens in front of me I could still see the stars. Quiet roads too, made for a meditative type experience.

And you know the best part? I couldn't see the gamins stats on my little screen which meant it was cycling for the sheer fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Luxman wrote: »
    With mid term child minding duties at full tilt I have been forced onto the road at night for my 'zone out time'. Ventured out around 730pm last night, layered up and what a glorious evening it was. Crystal clear, little or no wind, even with a large dose of lumens in front of me I could still see the stars. Quiet roads too, made for a meditative type experience.

And you know the best part? I couldn't see the gamins stats on my little screen which meant it was cycling for the sheer fun of it.

Yesterday was my first cycle with any kind of computer since I got back cycling in january. I only used it becuase I knew it would be a tough cycle and knowing the distance would be a help psychologically, and even then only because I gave my broken cateye another chance and it actually worked.
    I havent missed the computer at all, I can obviously see the benefit, but you do become a slave to them.
    Personally I find the whole strava obsession amongst bog average cyclists like myself a bit mad. We really should just go out and enjoy it, it clears the head and becoming fixated on technology and its output when cycling seems a bit pointless to me.
    We arent olympic athletes, so no need to behave like them. If you are breathing hard then you know you are getting something from it, not much else needed imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Strange day today on the bike....... Tore out of work at 2, kid was going on a play date so saw the opportunity to get a few km's in.

Realising all schools were off today made it an even better afternoon for cycling, no headbanger soccer mom types on the road!!

After getting some advice to do a 30km add spin flat out now n again i decided today was the today.

36km at just over 30km/h, now had a tailwind starting out but that was a headwind after 12km. Added a couple of small lumpy bits in around Marlfield which were "fun".... Delighted to get a good fast spin in.

Now the wierd bits, wasnt overly cold, no heavy jacket, didn't get wet and bike just needed a baby wipe clean which took about 2mins, weird stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

1st time posting in this thread, only cycling a month or so. Cycled to beautiful Dunmore East this morning. A round trip of 32kms. Not much compared to all you fantastic cyclists, but I'm delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good start Fishy1. Keep it going, a little further every time and you'll out-distance us yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

This thread has been quiet of late.

70k done today - will be a nice easy flat route, they said. Will be fun, they said.

45k of bliss; avg speed around 30k despite the wind, good craic and fun. Rain wasn't dampening spirits
    Then the hills started, and went on, and went on. Ended 22k later later.

24k average overall, getting better on the hills. Next week, a spin down in Wexford hopefully (don't think they have hills).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Traders cup with Koutobia
    He was brought down with 3k to go when perfectly placed for a sprint.
    I got 9th I think
    82k with cycle to and from sign on
    Hit 60kph at one stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Came face to face with a herd of wild goats just standing around on the hill leading down into Passage East earlier.
    They smelled really bad, and their weird rectangular eyeballs give me the heebie jeebies.
    The wind was savage, the front wheel felt like it was being pushed sideways at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    Traders cup with Koutobia
    He was brought down with 3k to go..
    Is B ok?

Is B ok?

He is fine
    Others no so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

63kms this morning. Had planned to head up to the masts on Three Rock but the weather was turning nasty looking at Stepaside. Some very strong gusts made for some very hairy moments so decided to give it a miss. Just went out to Ranelagh and back through Deansgrange. 103kms for the weekend so fairly happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Off out today with two others, pace was slow early as they are behind me fitness wise.

Went from Clonmel - Clogheen - The Vee - Melleray - Newcastle - Clonmel.

86km with 1000m elevation at 23.3 km/h, floored it coming home and landed a couple of good PR with a Strava top 5 for the pull up to the monastery at Mellerary. Only 30 attempts by all accounts but i don't care!!!

Some good climbing which i haven't done much of so glad to get some practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

savage wind here this morning for my commute, but was 10 degrees at 7.00am! Yesterday was 1 degree in the morning and trying to snow. At 19.00 it was lashing and about 4 degrees and today was like a spring morning. Didn't even need gloves on the ride home tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

longshanks wrote: »
    Came face to face with a herd of wild goats just standing around on the hill leading down into Passage East earlier.
    They smelled really bad, and their weird rectangular eyeballs give me the heebie jeebies.
    The wind was savage, the front wheel felt like it was being pushed sideways at times.

Glad to hear the goats are back, last I heard someone had rustled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Did 70k Saturday - Tallaght-Blessington-Naas-Straffan-Celbridge-Tallaght

I've never been so wet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

7km commute this morning, beautiful morning, no wind, bright.... Carried the laptop, power and gear for the week on my back, needed a shower but just used the dry part of the base layer as a towel to mop up the back sweat :|:|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

01Surveyor wrote: »
    Glad to hear the goats are back, last I heard someone had rustled them.
    The talk now is that they might need to be culled as they're breeding like crazy. Some of the locals aren't happy with the goats eating their flowers and shrubs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Trying to get a few more proper hills in the legs so took a lunch time spin up Bohernabreena, Glassamucky, Miltary road and back via Cruagh. Really felt the extra few percent gradient on those roads over my usual spin up to Glencullen direction, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Fantastic weather, and nice to have dry roads again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement