Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I like Reuben unusuall enough without being overboard mm its a grower alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Quality wrote: »
    My sisters name is Kareen, she was named after a little Indian girl who lived next door to my mam and dad in London. It is also the name of the maid in gone with the wind.. So we tell my sister she is named after her...

Careen in "Gone with the wind" wasn't a maid, she was Scarlett O'Hara's youngest sister who went to convent. It is short from Caroline Irene.

I'm just reading the book at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

ebmma wrote: »
    Careen in "Gone with the wind" wasn't a maid, she was Scarlett O'Hara's youngest sister who went to convent. It is short from Caroline Irene.

I'm just reading the book at the moment :D

Well dont tell my sister!!!!:eek::eek:

Quality wrote: »
    Well dont tell my sister!!!!:eek::eek:

She was a nice girl though :D

oh,

Alder for a boy,

Starling for a girl.

It'll be a while until it's useful, but it's kinda nice to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

MrsA wrote: »
    Reuben was almost our sons name, but, it is his middle name now.

My friend had a little girl a few months ago and called her Eloise.

I think you have great taste!!

M

Thanks! Well I'll have one or the other next year all things going well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

How about Siún (pronounced Shoon) for a girl? I think that's my favourite name, something I'll be keeping for a little girl for me WAAAAAAAAAAY in the future. I'll let you have it for now though. ;)

Yeah, you can't go wrong with naming your child after an item used to keep feet dry and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

I know a few siun's also - tis an ok name but this is all about personal choice

personally I like Aoife even if it is pretty common

have a friend called Mafalda which i think is also nice but not sure about having it in Ireland!?!

For a boy I like the usual - Keith, David, Robert, Colm, Barry oh and Setanta - never put too much thought in to it - as I said i like Aoife and that's about it.

Nearly everyone is called Dave these days...Nice name, but it fails to identify a person...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

here are my nieces and nephews names maybe someone might find inspiration

Tim
    Jenny
    Darren
    Dylan
    David
    Gracie
    Jerry
    Sebastien
    Elena
    Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

Hopefully I'll have a reason to be looking at baby names sometime in the next few months :)

I like really normal strong names:
    James, John, Liam (not william), Thomas. I'm reliably informed though that first boy will be named after DH, and he is none of those.

For girls I really like:
    Catherine & Elizabeth, both can be shortened to cutie names like Katie and Beth for kids, but can be really grown up when the child gets older.

I knew a Duilleog once - irish for leaf.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Sian? It always puzzles me when I see it in print - is it like Sean or is it Shyan or something different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

marti101 wrote: »
    I like Reuben unusuall enough without being overboard mm its a grower alrite

FYI, Reuban is a very Jewish name in the US and named for a famous sandwich, made of corned beef, swiss cheese, and a special sauce on rye bread. Katz' deli [the one where Meg Ryan had her famous fake orgasm] has this as one of it's specialties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Charcoal wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll have a reason to be looking at baby names sometime in the next few months :)

I like really normal strong names:
    James, John, Liam (not william), Thomas. I'm reliably informed though that first boy will be named after DH, and he is none of those.

For girls I really like:
    Catherine & Elizabeth, both can be shortened to cutie names like Katie and Beth for kids, but can be really grown up when the child gets older.

I knew a Duilleog once - irish for leaf.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Sian? It always puzzles me when I see it in print - is it like Sean or is it Shyan or something different?

Good luck with that;) and as for Sian, never hear it before, just Sean or Shaun, which are both nice.

I called my little girl Taylor picked the name the week i found out i was pregnant, we never agreed on a boy's name and I still dont have one so I was glad she was a girl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sian is Welsh and is pronouned Shann - with a long a sound. I was almost called that - my dad is Welsh. They also were going to call me Nia which is the Welsh version of Niamh (my name). They have the same Niamh/Oisin myth in Welsh mythology too. Oisin is Oshun I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Ok unless an imaculate conception happens I won't be needing these for a long time but I've had my names picked out for years,

Girls
    Alisha(my absolute favourite)
    Maia
    Grace
    Ava

Boys
    Lee
    Kyle
    Ethan

The only Sian i know is Sian Lloyd she used to be the weather girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Oh not Bridget, sorry but no, I'm just not feeling it at all.....

Stick with Neasa! Or what about Eryn? not spelt irish I know.... Or Sinead, or Sorcha?
    I have a Saoirse

I know everyone has their own preferences, I have to say that my baby due in Feb, while have to have an Irish name, they are gorgeous names and I feel are the best. Just my opinion.

As far as girls names are concerned;
    Clodagh,
    Aifric,
    Aisling,
    Caoimhe,
    Maeve are all gorgeous.

Boys are a bit more difficult though, but if its a boy its being named after my boyfriends late father.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I have a kinda obsession with names and their meanings but my favourites are:
    GIRLS:
    Grace - unexpected/undeserved gift
    Sadhbh - Good and honest
    Belle - Lady

BOYS:
    Tadhg - Poet(I know it's a bit wierd but I figure back then poets were really intelligent an all that)
    Eoin - Gift from god
    Samson - Sun
    Ruari - with a fada on the i, only if he's a ginger 'cause it means red headed king

I know, i've put way to much thought into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I like Ruari. I kind of wish I named my son that because he looks more like a Ruari than the name he has, but I nearly named him Bruno, good thing I didnt since he is a blond. The thing is .... the hair colour can change, as his did, dramatically, so you cant name them based on hair colour or what they look like at first.

If he was a girl I would have named him Giselle. If I ever have a daughter this will be top of my list.... favorite ballet.

Giselle what a gorgous name really like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I friend recently had twins - boy named Sebastian, girl names Sage. She has 2 other boys under age of 4 (yikes) called Tighe & Saxon. I think they're all great names. My nephew is called Isaac which means he who laughs, and he certainly does :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think myself and OH have decided already.

Sian for a girl and Dylan for a boy, my grandmother is Welsh and i have a welsh name so i want to continue the tradition. I wanted Rhys for the boy but the GF had a pet dog called Reese when she was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My daughter has a Welsh name - Rhiannon. Decided on her name when I was only about 8 weeks pregnant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The GF is only 10 weeks gone but we've pretty much decided already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

What in the name of god am i doing reading a baby name thread at this hour of the morning....my baby is far to young for me to be getting broody again! Anyway my son is called Samuel Luke, my husbands name is Luke, and i really love samuel or sam

I have a boycalled Dylan and theres absolutley loads of them,iys a very popular name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My Top Ten Girls names.

Kate
    Beth
    Mandy
    Heather
    Juliette
    Grace
    Victoria
    Samantha
    Emily
    Charlotte

My Top Ten Boys names.

William
    Oliver
    Julian
    Darren
    Harvey
    Jamey
    Cameron
    Daniel
    Christian
    Ashley

Hope there's a few here you havent heard before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I named my baby girl Addison :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

For a girl:
    Catherine,
    Deirdre,
    Helen

For a boy:
    Sean,
    Charles,
    Aebhric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

CathyMoran wrote: »
    For a girl:
    Catherine,
    Deirdre,
    Helen

For a boy:
    Sean,
    Charles,
    Aebhric

I highly recommend Deirdre ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I am far from even thinking about pregnancy yet but....

Girl:
    Penny
    Erica
    Beibhinn (Bevin) Irish meaning "Fair or white, woman or lady"
    Radha (Row-A) Irish meaning "A vision"

Boy:
    Senan
    Oisin
    Cormac
    Gregory

My own name means soft/downy haired

Advertisement