Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Make: Canon

Item: DSLR Body

Model: T3i/650D

Fault: Camera fails to turn on.

When/how it happened:

No idea, I used the camera to shoot a talk a few months back and it never switched on after that. It wasn't dropped and it isn't the battery (I have several batteries that all worked fine). It was kept in a camera backpack when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bruno Victorino

Are you working reparing Canon Lens yet?

Item: Lens

Model: 70-200L f/2.8

Fault: Fungos

When/how it happened: My Lens Got a Fungos on the last Glass, I have been at Conns ( dublin) to repair, but they want to replace the Glass and Charged me a lot money. I think is possible to clean, because the fungos is not too big.

Do you do this Job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Are you working reparing Canon Lens yet?

Model: 70-200L f/2.8

Fault: Fungos

When/how it happened: My Lens Got a Fungos on the last Glass, I have been at Conns ( dublin) to repair, but they want to replace the Glass and Charged me a lot money. I think is possible to clean, because the fungos is not too big.

Do you do this Job?

Hi Bruno,

I do clean fungus yes.
    Send me a PM with your details and I will give you a call/email/text

Cheers

Item: DSLR Body

Model: T3i/650D

Fault: Camera fails to turn on.

When/how it happened:

No idea, I used the camera to shoot a talk a few months back and it never switched on after that. It wasn't dropped and it isn't the battery (I have several batteries that all worked fine). It was kept in a camera backpack when not in use.

Sounds like an odd one but most likely caused by a blown dc/dc board for whatever reason (liquid, short circuit, corrosion), PM me if you would like me to have a look.

Fleagle wrote: »
    Make: Canon 400D

Item: Canon EFS 17-85mm

Fault: Getting the following error message - "Err99 Shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to <OFF> and <ON> again or re-install the battery"

It only happens in daylight - it works as usual indoors. I have tried another lens and that works fine.

When/how it happened: It just happened - there was no fall or damage to the camera/lens.

Sorry for the late reply.
    I am guessing you are using the camera on one of the auto modes and the diaphragm has failed on the lens which means that in the dark it will be shooting wide open (simply remains open) where as when it needs to create a smaller aperture due to brighter conditions it fails and gives the error.

PM me if you are interested in repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

westdub wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D7000 with a scratched sensor filter, is it a big job to replace?

Hmm is it the infrared filter ? I don't know too much about digitals but a lot of astrophotography guys get theirs removed intentionally maybe that could be cheaper and you could stick a filter on your lens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Make : Canon

Item: DSLR (body)

Model: 60D

Fault: Won't Power On. Three weeks ago during a Sunday afternoon walkabout, the camera wouldn't switch on. I switched lens and card to no effect and then I pulled out the battery and left it out for 5 minutes, then the 60D powered on, though with a couple of random errors (couldn't change ISO, stuck on 2 Sec timer). These were rectified by once again pulling the battery. Camera worked fine afterwards.

Then yesterday after using the camera for the afternoon, I had switched off the camera for a while, when it wouldn't switch back on. I pulled the battery again for 5 mins but this time it didn't work. Only after having the battery out for 30 mins did it switch back on when I got home. I fully charged the Canon battery afterwards.

I went back out yesterday evening to shoot before sunset, but camera would not switch on again after I got to my location. Taking out the battery had no effect. I left the battery out all night but the camera did not switch on this morning (though I did get intermittent activity on the SD card Write light). I removed the lens and the SD card to no effect.

It seems unlikely there is anything I can do further, I'm inquiring about Canon camera repair in Ireland or UK (or any other advice).

DonalB wrote: »
    Make : Canon

Item: DSLR (body)

Model: 60D

Fault: Won't Power On. Three weeks ago during a Sunday afternoon walkabout, the camera wouldn't switch on. I switched lens and card to no effect and then I pulled out the battery and left it out for 5 minutes, then the 60D powered on, though with a couple of random errors (couldn't change ISO, stuck on 2 Sec timer). These were rectified by once again pulling the battery. Camera worked fine afterwards.

Then yesterday after using the camera for the afternoon, I had switched off the camera for a while, when it wouldn't switch back on. I pulled the battery again for 5 mins but this time it didn't work. Only after having the battery out for 30 mins did it switch back on when I got home. I fully charged the Canon battery afterwards.

I went back out yesterday evening to shoot before sunset, but camera would not switch on again after I got to my location. Taking out the battery had no effect. I left the battery out all night but the camera did not switch on this morning (though I did get intermittent activity on the SD card Write light). I removed the lens and the SD card to no effect.

It seems unlikely there is anything I can do further, I'm inquiring about Canon camera repair in Ireland or UK (or any other advice).

Hi,

It sounds like from the behaviour that the dc/dc board or main pcb may be faulty in the camera. The erratic behaviour seems similar to cases of liquid damage I have seen (especially the part with some buttons not functioning although also if you are using third party batteries they can cause damage sometimes to the camera.

PM me if you are interested in repair.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whools

Make: Nikon

Item: DSLR + Lens

Model: D7000 + 35mm 1.8 DX

Fault: Sand in the focus ring (and possibly in the camera body too?). Rough, scrapey movements when turned.

When/how it happened: Just finished my Sahara trip. Was caught in a sandstorm with camera tucked in my shirt as makeshift shield.

The camera works, no visible sand in lens elements. Left the lens attached as is, took out the battery. My question is, is there any place I can send to get the camera and lens cleaned? Would it void my lens warranty to have it cleaned?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Make: Pentax

Model: 43mm Limited

Fault: Very hard to turn focus ring, very very stiff. will free up if played with but then stiffens up again.

When/How it happened: Not sure how or when, camera wasn't used in a while, lens is permanently on camera body. noticed the auto focus took a long long time to focus on things. seen moisture on lens barrel but not sure how it got there. wiped it off as much as i could. body is k-50. tried other lenses but they work fine. maybe needs a clean and regrease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The other half tried to insert the memory card backwards into my Fuji X20. It won't click into place now, just wants to spring out. If I hold it in place it will read and write otherwise it won't catch and hold in place.

How costly is this going to be to fix? It's a gorgeous little compact which cranks out great photos, I use it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dd2283

hi, i have a sony alpha 3000 with a sony sel1855 lens, long story short someone dropped it on a tiled floor and the zoom on the lens has not worked since. i was just wondering if anyone could give some advice. i know its probably hard to know what it would cost to fix it without opening it or am i better to just buy a new one. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Canon

350 D EOS
    DSLR

Bought new in 2009

I was given this camera by my sister in law who hasn't used it for three years. When I turn it on nothing happens. The battery is reading 8.5 volts on a multimeter. I got a loan of an identical battery from a camcorder and it won't work either. So I'm gessig it's not a battery problem.

I know it's a bit vague without error messages or a physical fault. Is it worth repairing or should I get something newer second hand?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It was working fine the last time she used it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Hi I am having problems with a lens

Camera: canon EOS20D

Lens: canon ultra sonic Efs 17-85 mm, macro 0.35m/1.2ft

The lens only seems to work indoors, when I try to shoot outside when bright I get an error message of Err99 on the camera.

Can anyone shed some light!

Would really like to get this fixed

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Make: Panasonic
    Item: Point and Shoot Digital Camera
    Model: TZ40
    Fault: I notice recently that the lens cover does not fully close (photo attached).
    The camera still works fine.
    When I do a web search I see that this is a very common problem.
    But I also read many many different solutions, from hair dryers to hammers.
    An 'expert' told me not to touch or fiddle with the mechanism but to take it immediately to a good camera store.
    They will have a 'magic' spray that will clear/clean away any dirt or grit that is jamming the mechanism.
    Is that possible?
    Else, best approach?
    Or just leave it alone?
    G.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

gerdalt wrote: »
    Make: Panasonic
    Item: Point and Shoot Digital Camera
    Model: TZ40
    Fault: I notice recently that the lens cover does not fully close (photo attached).
    The camera still works fine.
    When I do a web search I see that this is a very common problem.
    But I also read many many different solutions, from hair dryers to hammers.
    An 'expert' told me not to touch or fiddle with the mechanism but to take it immediately to a good camera store.
    They will have a 'magic' spray that will clear/clean away any dirt or grit that is jamming the mechanism.
    Is that possible?
    Else, best approach?
    Or just leave it alone?
    G.
    Forget about hair dryers, hammers, 'magic' sprays... You have to disassemble that built-in lens cover and you will see what is wrong. Maybe it's just some dirt, maybe something is bended, maybe springs are damaged, maybe spring holders are cracked. In most models it's easy to remove that cover and harder to assemble. Sometimes you have completely disassemble lens to reach built-in lens cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I have noticed in the past few months that, at times i'm getting dark diagonal 'shadows' on some pictures. I find that if I take the lens off and replace it, or attach another lens it seems to rectify itself. For that reason I'm pretty sure that its not the lenses. I've noticed it most with my Canon 28-300mm and 16-35mm lenses. I'm using a Canon 5D III. Like I say it doesn't happen all the time, but is a little annoying and I'm hoping its nothing too serious so any info would be much appreciated.

E48E1915F5084580A002C6BD00FADB7C-0000324460-0003813598-00800L-2E9280CD289B4588B1A7CB43ACAB2C37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 siobh123

Maybe the shutter getting stuck or not opening properly.

siobh123 wrote: »

I was thinking along those lines myself but wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Went to use my 550D today and it didn't turn on, charged the battery, still nothing. :/
    Anyone have any experience with this? I've had a quick look at the micro switches but to be honest I barely know what I'm looking at.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop? It looks a little dusty inside anyway so it could do with a service really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Item: 70-200MM 2.8 Lens
    Model: AF-S VR-Nikkor G
    Fault: I've used this lens in heavy rain but with a cover but now i think some water may have affected it. It seems like my image are now really foggy... hard to explain but the image quality has been affected. Should i try dry it out or can it be looked at by someone in Dublin city centre?

siobh123 wrote: »

I have been told in another forum that it could well be as simple as the fact that the petal lens hood on these lenses has not "locked" into place properly and the larger parts of the petal are coming into view. I've tried a few test shots and that seems to be the case. thanks for the reply all the same, and I'm delighted that it is something so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

A really big thumbs up for Eoghan for the repair on my 24-105mm f4L lens:):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ibanezz

Hi
    Just wondering how much cost lens cleaning. Its canon 28-235 IS USM, bit of fungus on two front elements.
    Another thing is how much is front element replacing in canon 70-200 L USM?
    Thx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

CianRyan wrote: »
    Went to use my 550D today and it didn't turn on, charged the battery, still nothing. :/
    Anyone have any experience with this? I've had a quick look at the micro switches but to be honest I barely know what I'm looking at.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop? It looks a little dusty inside anyway so it could do with a service really.

make sure it is not the battery. I had a 400d and the batterys just died suddenly

if you have kids in the house some one might have dropped it and not told you

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Item: DSLR
    Model: D7000
    Fault: Back Focus with multiple lenses

I've spotted a bit of a problem with my D7000. I use it all the time with a Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens and last week bought a Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

I was testing the Tamron and couldnt get the images extremely sharp at f2.8. The focus was generally behind. So I went to the fine tuner on the camera and tinkered around with it but there wasn't a huge improvement until I extended the fine tune to the maximum -20. At -20 the images are perfectly sharp.

For the craic I went back to the 35mm and had a really good look at my recent shots and realised they were starting to creep out of focus too. I set that to -20 and the photos are now crystal clear again.

Is this an easy fix or something that generally can happen over time?
    If so, how long/how much would it take to sort? I think the camera could do with a service either way. I bought it 2 years ago second hand from a shop in Dublin and it hasn't been serviced since.

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deckoc

Hi

I have a Nissin Flash that I dropped and is not longer working. Repair advice please!!

deckoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I have a Canon 1100D that won't read the memory card anymore. The memory card works fine in my laptop. I tried reformatting it but still no joy.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to bring it in Dublin City for repair? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Just wondering is Eoghan still active on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just wanted to add a thanks to Eoghan for sorting out my 24-70 f/2.8 L. Not only is he an absolute gent, he really knows his stuff.

Advertisement