Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.G.S. Shoot - December 3rd - MNSCI

Options
  • 05-11-2016 8:56pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭

S.T.A.G.S

Shooting Target And Game Sports .

This is an advanced Hunters competition course of fire that will be held on the MNSCI range on Saturday the 3rd of December 2016.

The idea behind this type of competition is to replicate exactly the type of shooting that takes place in the field when hunting game and vermin ,i.e. Using any possible natural aid available to you when obstacles are in the way for you to shoot at your quarry.Its rare for a hunter to be able to shoot their quarry like a target shooter shooting paper targets on a range.

In this competition there will be ten (10) details with ten (10) different scenarios to shoot in. Natural aids and obstacles will include trees, bushes,rushes, high grass, drains, wooden gates, ranch railings, round bales, logs, etc. Some pictures of positions are shown here.

14947472_710415899106264_6110293115538178076_n.jpg?oh=30279674637db87d7df9b3865b1343f2&oe=588EB04D

14938195_710415909106263_7291053892020774295_n.jpg?oh=793f5da5b9dd30073c4c05231cd2d91a&oe=58944D99

14956058_710415929106261_2634169014236703955_n.jpg?oh=38d5b168e647dd0da5df4774415c1ff1&oe=58CE2720

14980795_710415952439592_5125811525447558927_n.jpg?oh=26897f6d705e1cd29dc1ac3877caa964&oe=588D58C8

Targets will be life size deer, foxes, steel plates, etc. (before the cranks start ringing me again ,the deer and fox targets are paper targets not real life animals !!!! )
    The distances will be unknown, with the max distance of 300 metres and minimum distance of 40 metres.

This shoot should prove to be realistic to hunting in the field.

This is an open competition, (non members please bring copy of insurance and firearms permit )
    • Any Rifle
    • Any sights
    • Any calibre
    • Magazine fed rifles only
    • 20 rounds needed
    • Bipods can be used in certain details or an artificial rest.
    • Muzzle brakes allowed
    • Moderators allowed
    • Stalking Sticks are allowed in certain details.
    Bring your own wet gear and Mat if you need one. Remember we are replicating what you normally bring and carry in the field. (no need for f Class front rests ,100lb tripods or anything else that might need planning permission !! :D)

Entries must be text in advanced no later than 1st of December to JP on 086 8232641.

Registration, on the day, at the main office at 10 am with the Competition to commence at 11 am

More details will follow. Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date.

Hope to see you there .
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

I'll have to have a go at this. Dust of the Sako .308 (and me) ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I would love this but only have the .22 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Looking forward to this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ezra_ wrote: »
    I would love this but only have the .22 :(

No reason not to come along.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

More information. Please pay particular attention to the limitations on HMV rifles.

S.T.A.G.S December 3rd

The advanced hunters competition is an open competition .

Strictly factory ammunition only ( in other words no hand loaded ammo ) All ammo will be checked .
    No high muzzle energy rounds are permitted to be shot on any ranges of 300 yards or less i.e. 7 mm WSM , 300 WSM , etc

If in any doubt please contact JP at 0868232641

Great interest has been shown for this competition and practice may be available on Sunday Nov 27th to test out different shooting positions from round bales , posts etc

More info later

Looking forward to seeing you there

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    No reason not to come along.

300m targets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

300m targets?!

I've nothing else on that day... sure we may as well fling some lead at them and see what happens. Y'up for it? (Be some craic if we actually hit them! :cool:)

extremetaz wrote: »
    I've nothing else on that day... sure we may as well fling some lead at them and see what happens. Y'up for it? (Be some craic if we actually hit them! :cool:)

I'm a sucker for outlandish challenges that are made over the internet!

300m targets?!
    I actually meant to observe, help out, but if you think you can why the hell not. I mean the 22 will reach all the distances albeit like a mortar at 300 :D
    I'm a sucker for outlandish challenges that are made over the internet!
    giphy.gif

3.5m drop for a 300m shoot, so about a 3m drop given where she is zeroed for.
    And that assumes a nice windless day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

3.5m drop for a 300m shoot, so about a 3m drop given where she is zeroed for.
    And that assumes a nice windless day!

I use subs, so 5.37m of drop, and 1m of drift in a 3m/s wind.

Drop rate at that distance is 52mm/m, so as Cass says, it's coming in like a mortar!

How big are those targets Cass? 1f602.png

Few updates:

S.T.A.G.S. shoot this Saturday December 3rd.
    • Change of start time to 10:30 AM.
    • No zeroing shots allowed at the competition range, but you can zero earlier at 9:30 on the sheltered range if you wish.
    • 20 round competition with 8 different stages.

This is an open competition, all are welcome. To guarantee your place, please book with JP at 0868232641 by Dec 1

15178058_722805054534015_1104089720620736431_n.jpg?oh=1e8e68bfe70d4dcfbb4a4bda8616d506&oe=58CD2D06

Anyone make it over. Was stuck in Dublin for the day on family stuff so never made it over.

How did it go, and results, etc.

Thanks.

Anyone make it over. Was stuck in Dublin for the day on family stuff so never made it over.

How did it go, and results, etc.

Thanks.

Thanks to all for running the comp. and well run it was too.

Great day out and a very different type of competition. Congratulation to the winner with 98 (only 2 shots into the 4 ring) And a very good score indeed. i saw his target and the group was sooooo tight. Well done

My total was 86, dropped 14, so I was happy with that.
    Weather held off and only a right to left wind of 10mph.

Sounds like a great day. Raging i missed it, but as said family stuff (fecking family, /mumble, /mumble)

I'm hoping to get over tomorrow, and if i get a chance give it a bash to see how it goes.

Exellent craic.
    Some novel scenarios,especially the ditch bank ,that resembled more a ww1 trench parapet and caught some of those in nice clean kit unaware.:D,and the kneeling made it a tad difficult for our older shooters.It moved at some good clip as well thanks to exellent RO work so no one was left standing around,and good to see a few semi auto shooters at it as well.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Was a load of fun. It was great to see the lads again.
    It went super smooth and fast i think we were done at 1:30.
    I have to work on my unsupported for next time

Have a sneaking suspicion you didn't do too bad. You're usually up there with the top shots. How did ya get on if you don't mind me asking?

Have a sneaking suspicion you didn't do too bad. You're usually up there with the top shots. How did ya get on if you don't mind me asking?
    3rd with 94.9, i think i would have done better with a .223 or something the .308 was a bit of a pig at 18lbs.
    Its kinder to the standard weight rifles. there was only one detail of the bipods at 280ish.

I knew it. :D

Congrats. 18lb is a bit much alright. At 300 or less the 223 would have been well able for it, and if it's lighter than absolutely.

Was the course of fire tough? Any particular firing points you found tricky?

• Advertisement

Congrats. 18lb is a bit much alright. At 300 or less the 223 would have been well able for it, and if it's lighter than absolutely.

Just the last at 80 with unsupported, the wobbles kicked in and droped two into the 4 ring at 6oclock

The Sand bank was a killer. Funny to see lads trying to keep up it, legs crawling up whilst try to hold the target.

And I'm not the best at getting up from the sitting position with my auld legs. ;);)

There is no way i'd have gotten my fat ass up from it so.

If I can do it,so can you.Once you dig into the bank you're good to go.At least I managed a 10 and V from that position.

I was over today, but it was way too comfy in front of the the fire, with a hot coffee to try any of that shooting lark. :D

Will try and get over before the Christmas break, and give it a bash. Need to try the rifle at the odd distances of the comp. I know my 100, 200 and 300, but would like to try the actual distances between. There are some things a ballistic calculator just cannot account for.

There are some things a ballistic calculator just cannot account for.

For sure , driving your bolt face 2 inches into the bog is one, i am still cleaning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

Or having your muzzel break blasting the dirt into your face and objective lens so as you can't see **** for your second shot.

Ziggieire wrote: »
    For sure , driving your bolt face 2 inches into the bog is one, i am still cleaning it.

How?!

How?!
    Left my breach flag in the car, Removed bolt to show clear. went to stand up bolt rotated down and wanted to be a tiny walking stick.

• Advertisement

Or having your muzzel break blasting the dirt into your face and objective lens so as you can't see **** for your second shot.
    some of it landed in my pocket

Advertisement