Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Orakpo is getting tagged, expect the titans to go hard after Jackson now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

roumer that desean jackson is available for trade. cant see it happening but iv read a few different articles saying it now.

I think that would be madness if we let him go. I'd say its deaeans people saying this stuff as he is looking for a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jarius Byrd isn't being tagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think that would be madness if we let him go. I'd say its deaeans people saying this stuff as he is looking for a new deal.

He's a borderline #1 WR getting paid top dollar, he seems to be always looking for a new deal, he's undersized @ 5'10, how much time does the guy have left at that speed because when he starts to lose that yard he's going to be a very limited player.

He's probably the most overrated player in the NFL too.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

he mentioned a new contract again this offseason after taking a year off to get his last one. its a huge turn off i think thats the reason its being talked about but i dont think it will happen eagles will want more than another team will give and hes worth more in chip kelly scheme than anyone elses.
    Red Crow wrote: »
    He's a borderline #1 WR getting paid top dollar, he seems to be always looking for a new deal, he's undersized @ 5'10, how much time does the guy have left at that speed because when he starts to lose that yard he's going to be a very limited player.

He's probably the most overrated player in the NFL too.

i actually think hes underrated not a top 10 receiver in the league by any means but hes a serious player that gets dismissed because of his size.

No tag for Eugene Monroe. It would be a complete disaster if he leaves, but people close to the Ravens are saying that both sides are currently trying hard to get a deal done. Still a week to get it done before I explode with rage :pac: but I'd imagine the only way the front office would have avoided tagging Monroe is if they were extremely confident they could get him signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

i actually think hes underrated not a top 10 receiver in the league by any means but hes a serious player that gets dismissed because of his size.

I would love to see Jackson with Brady or Manning or Brees or Rodgers to be honest. Foles style of play got probably the best production out of Jackson and Foles likes to throw deep. When you look at the QBs he had throwing to him before Foles you could say he was unlucky not to get more consistency. McNabb was the best of a bad bunch for Jackson when you consider Vick/Young/Kolb/Barkley were the others and Im sure im missing others.

TO. wrote: »
    I would love to see Jackson with Brady or Manning or Brees or Rodgers to be honest. Foles style of play got probably the best production out of Jackson and Foles likes to throw deep. When you look at the QBs he had throwing to him before Foles you could say he was unlucky not to get more consistency. McNabb was the best of a bad bunch for Jackson when you consider Vick/Young/Kolb/Barkley were the others and Im sure im missing others.

i dont think the qb thing is an excuse for him barkley and young only played a couple of snaps kolb didnt play a lot either and vick was lights out the year he came back nearly won mvp, the year after jackson admited he didnt try anyway as he wanted a new contract. also mcnabb was a fantastic player desean got one good year one bad year with him.

i think he is a great player definetly a no. 1. but his attitude towards contracts stinks.

hed be phenomenal with brees,brady and manning but not so much with rogers i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

My bad...ignore!

i dont think the qb thing is an excuse for him barkley and young only played a couple of snaps kolb didnt play a lot either and vick was lights out the year he came back nearly won mvp, the year after jackson admited he didnt try anyway as he wanted a new contract. also mcnabb was a fantastic player desean got one good year one bad year with him.

i think he is a great player definetly a no. 1. but his attitude towards contracts stinks.

hed be phenomenal with brees,brady and manning but not so much with rogers i think.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't using the QB thing as a reason for bad play. For a guy like Jackson I feel that McNabb and Foles were the only 2 QBs that suited Jackson and targeted him the most as their style as pocket QBs and ability to stay in the pocket and look downfield opens up more options for him. Vick had a solid season passing to Jackson but a lot of the passes were on the run and short to mid passes with big gains after the catch by Jackson.

Sure Jackson has had his problems especially his attitude but my point was I would like to see him with a QB that has no problems targeting the deep threat and the QBs I mentioned are the best in the business at it. I honestly think you are looking at more repetition of a 80+ catch season like the season gone and then some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anquan boldin signed a 2 year deal to stay in San Francisco.

Rumour is 2 years, $12m, $9m guaranteed, low cap figure for 2014.

jason avant cut from the eagle will be a great pickup for someone possibly the best hands in the league.

had to be done but im sad to see him go.

jason avant cut from the eagle will be a great pickup for someone possibly the best hands in the league.

had to be done but im sad to see him go.

I like Avant. Would like to see the Pats grab him at a decent price.

TO. wrote: »
    I like Avant. Would like to see the Pats grab him at a decent price.
    thats who i instantly thought of him going to to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Rumours coming out of Denver suggest that Champ Bailey will be cut this week. Bailey had a cap figure of $10million.

It is still possible that Bailey will agree a restructured deal but it appears to be a football decision to cut him.

A bit disappointed as I really wanted Bailey to get another shot at the SB before he retires and I hope he lands with a contender if he decides to continue playing. I also hope that he gets the opportunity to retire a Bronco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Rumours coming out of Denver suggest that Champ Bailey will be cut this week. Bailey had a cap figure of $10million.

It is still possible that Bailey will agree a restructured deal but it appears to be a football decision to cut him.

A bit disappointed as I really wanted Bailey to get another shot at the SB before he retires and I hope he lands with a contender if he decides to continue playing. I also hope that he gets the opportunity to retire a Bronco.

Yep.... gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

D'Qwell Jackson just signed with the Colts, delighted with that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

fcuk sake :mad:

edit: 22 million over 4 years with 11 million guaranteed, you guys can have him for that!

Seems we overpaid again but ok with that, got a solid starter next to Freeman now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I also hope that he gets the opportunity to retire a Bronco.
    You can be sure that will happen. He'll be re-signed for a day and then retire.

edit: 22 million over 4 years with 11 million guaranteed, you guys can have him for that!
    Yep - no way I would have wanted the Broncos to pay that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yep - no way I would have wanted the Broncos to pay that.

Broncos don't have the cap space. We do. Its a significant upgrade on anything we have. I'm delighted.

davyjose wrote: »
    Broncos don't have the cap space. We do. Its a significant upgrade on anything we have. I'm delighted.

Jackson is basically on a 2 year $11 million deal! He's the 14th highest paid ILB in the NFL now! PFF ranked him as the 19th best ILB last year and presumably they have Wagner & Kuelchy ahead of him (maybe Alonso?) who would both be on rookie deals so it's not that far out really!

Having said that at his age it's a lot of money!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Jackson is basically on a 2 year $11 million deal! He's the 14th highest paid ILB in the NFL now! PFF ranked him as the 19th best ILB last year and presumably they have Wagner & Kuelchy ahead of him (maybe Alonso?) who would both be on rookie deals so it's not that far out really!

Having said that at his age it's a lot of money!
    Word on the street is he turned down more elsewhere. I'd imagine Chud helped. We need to pay to get guys like this. Thats free agency. We have fcuk all draft picks. We can focus on the Oline now.

Word on the street is he turned down more elsewhere. I'd imagine Chud helped. We need to pay to get guys like this. Thats free agency. We have fcuk all draft picks. We can focus on the Oline now.

Supposedly we are going to go hard after Arthur Jones, interested to hear what Raven fans think of him?

• Advertisement

With the Broncos release of Bailey they will have over $37million in cap space. Don't think Jackson is worth the money.

Jackson is a good signing for the Colts - they are an improving team and he is an upgrade. The Colts do have a lot of holes to fill because of their FAs.

With the Broncos release of Bailey they will have over $37million in cap space. Don't think Jackson is worth the money.

Jackson is a good signing for the Colts - they are an improving team and he is an upgrade. The Colts do have a lot of holes to fill because of their FAs.

And here we have the Colts problem! So many holes to fill (and no 1st round draft pick) they have to go and sign players early in FA! That's when you overpay!

But yes he is an upgrade over Angerer/Conner/Sheppard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Raf32 wrote: »
    Supposedly we are going to go hard after Arthur Jones, interested to hear what Raven fans think of him?

Pagano returning to raid his former D I see ;)

Jones is a super young 3-4 defensive end. Strong against the run and will get the occasional sack.

Ravens fans pretty much gave up on retaining him from a year ago. Defensive end is a premium position and he will be looking for a significant pay rise from his 5th rounder deal.

Will be a good signing for any team and missed from Baltimore

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Pagano returning to raid his former D I see ;)

Jones is a super young 3-4 defensive end. Strong against the run and will get the occasional sack.

Ravens fans pretty much gave up on retaining him from a year ago. Defensive end is a premium position and he will be looking for a significant pay rise from his 5th rounder deal.

Will be a good signing for any team and missed from Baltimore

Thank you! sounds like a good player, probably to replace Redding not much left in him now I would say.

Satele has been cut :D

Here you can have AQ Shipley back!!

• Advertisement

Here you can have AQ Shipley back!!

He's better than Satele so I wouldnt mind :pac:
    Was he terrible for yee this year?

Got beat out for center by the worst center in the league and then played as a below average left guard for the season :(

Got beat out for center by the worst center in the league and then played as a below average left guard for the season :(

He was always a little undersized I thought. Seems like a good few teams going to have to fix the lines.

I want Alex Mack and Jairus Byrd. I understand Mack is now unlikely though (we'd have to pay silly money to get him).

I want Alex Mack and Jairus Byrd. I understand Mack is now unlikely though (we'd have to pay silly money to get him).

Yup Mack is the dream but definitely wont be happening now. I think I would rather Smith out of GB over the Saints guy if i were choosing. Would love Byrd he could free up Landry too, which could make for a good duo. See him going to the Browns though, maybe a sly move for TJ Ward?

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m
    Saints shopping RB Pierre Thomas and WR Lance Moore to other teams, per sources, and even could be open to trading RB Darren Sproles also.
    Wow would love to throw a fourth at them for Sproles.

I didn't realise you guys had so much cap room.

I'm happy to pay every penny of our cap if we can get guys to improve our team. Offensively, when healthy, we can beat anyone and could have easily gone all the way to New Jersey with a half decent D last season.

We are easily a top ten team, with probably the most room for improvement of any other top ten team. I'm happy to throw an extra million or two to see those improvements made.

Wow would love to throw a fourth at them for Sproles.

Ah here, RB is not a place we want to be throwing picks at.

Ah here, RB is not a place we want to be throwing picks at.

Ah i know he is just one of my favourite players so im biased :pac: Hopefully can fix up the two lines and get a safety in FA. Then get a WR in the draft.

Yup Mack is the dream but definitely wont be happening now. I think I would rather Smith out of GB over the Saints guy if i were choosing. Would love Byrd he could free up Landry too, which could make for a good duo. See him going to the Browns though, maybe a sly move for TJ Ward?

Don't know a huge amount about either of these guys. Why Dietrich-Smith? De la Puente seems to be a well regarded Center.

• Advertisement

Ah i know he is just one of my favourite players so im biased :pac: Hopefully can fix up the two lines and get a safety in FA. Then get a WR in the draft.

I hate him with a passion. But that's cos he's so damn good, so I know what you mean :D

Seems to be a very Safety deep draft. Could be worth a look there too. We have Reggie coming back, our 2 TE's, Hilton and Rogers. I'm satisfied with that.

Don't know a huge amount about either of these guys. Why Dietrich-Smith? De la Puente seems to be a well regarded Center.

I thought so too but supposedly de la puente had really good guard play beside him which covered a lot of his inefficiencies. Both of them look far from a cert though compared to Mack but suppose anything is better than satele.

We are easily a top ten team, with probably the most room for improvement of any other top ten team. I'm happy to throw an extra million or two to see those improvements made.
    Jackson was more benefit to the Colts. In Indy he will be a 3 down player. In Denver he would have been a 2 down player and for Denver definitely wasn't worth the money.

I have to say I want to see the Colts improve (and the Chargers and Chiefs) - a stronger AFC will make the Broncos a better team and the Broncos (or whoever gets to the SB from the AFC) will make a better fist in the SB next year.

and the Broncos (or whoever gets to the SB from the AFC) will make a better fist in the SB next year.

I'm still convinced, if the Broncos had prepared better and had a better start (.i.e not screwed up the first play), they'd have given Seattle a better game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'm still convinced, if the Broncos had prepared better and had a better start (.i.e not screwed up the first play), they'd have given Seattle a better game.

i.e. not spent the whole week before the game on the piss. I think we'd have still lost though but not embarrassed ourselves, the lack of preparation was disgraceful.

Gutted about Champ but this was his last shot this year and we let him down. He had next to **** all in the tank even this year.

Of course they should have performed better. But you have to hand it to the Seahawks - they took full advantage and put the Broncos to the sword.

The reality is that the NFC is currently stronger than the AFC. It is a little reminiscent of the NFC dominance of the late 80s and early-mid 90s. However, it is unlikely to last as the salary cap has leveled the playing field.

spiralism wrote: »
    Gutted about Champ but this was his last shot this year and we let him down. He had next to **** all in the tank even this year.
    He was hurt all year and probably should have gone on IR. Champ can still do a job if he wants to continue playing.

Elway released him because he considered it time to move on. Elway wants the secondary to get younger - he is thinking long-term and building to ensure that the Broncos remain consistently competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

I wonder who will take an interest in Lance Moore! Would like to see the Ravens have a look at him

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 7m
    Per a source, Monroe wants a long-term deal that averages around $10M annually. The Ravens want him for closer to $8M or $9M per year

Just give him the deal. It's not worth losing a top LT for the sake of $1m per year. If we don't give it to him it's a guarantee that someone will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Paully D wrote: »
    Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 7m
    Per a source, Monroe wants a long-term deal that averages around $10M annually. The Ravens want him for closer to $8M or $9M per year

Just give him the deal. It's not worth losing a top LT for the sake of $1m per year. If we don't give it to him it's a guarantee that someone will.

Here here, $10 million was around what I expected the Ravens to pay him!

Advertisement